PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Hunting (Beginner)

steelsoldier3
03-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Hey guys,

Both my friend and I live in Calgary and have had our firearms licenses for a while and go target shooting on a regular basis. Lately we want to get into hunting and we were thinking we would start by going after rabbits with our 22s! Just a couple of questions before we go out...

From what I understand, hunting rabbits does not require a hunting license. Does this mean that my friend and I can head out to crown land with our 22s and hunt rabbits? (Provided we follow all firearms safety and regulations). Will we run into any potential troubles if we run into Fish and Wildlife?

If this won't be a problem, does anybody know any good areas to hunt rabbits within about 2 hours from th Calgary area?

Thanks!

Fearson
03-25-2014, 09:19 PM
You are correct. you may hunt rabbits year round without a license. that being said general rule between hunters is only hunt rabbits with months that have R in them. the rest the have babies to care for, kill the mom less rabbits to hunt later.
Sadly theres is a massive lack in crown land in this province, there isnt to much for crown with in 2 hrs.
hope this helps

Speckle55
03-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi steelsoldier3

you should have no issue with Fish and Wildlife

Other Animals
Porcupine, rabbit, hare, raccoon and woodchuck may be hunted, but not trapped**, without a license throughout the province, at all times of the year. Skunk may be hunted and trapped.

just use the search engine on here and type Rabbit hunting for tips then do some looking on crown land .. they need dense bush/trees ..watch for tracks in any snow

David:)

Hey guys,

Both my friend and I live in Calgary and have had our firearms licenses for a while and go target shooting on a regular basis. Lately we want to get into hunting and we were thinking we would start by going after rabbits with our 22s! Just a couple of questions before we go out...

From what I understand, hunting rabbits does not require a hunting license. Does this mean that my friend and I can head out to crown land with our 22s and hunt rabbits? (Provided we follow all firearms safety and regulations). Will we run into any potential troubles if we run into Fish and Wildlife?

If this won't be a problem, does anybody know any good areas to hunt rabbits within about 2 hours from th Calgary area?

Thanks!

steelsoldier3
03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
You are correct. you may hunt rabbits year round without a license. that being said general rule between hunters is only hunt rabbits with months that have R in them. the rest the have babies to care for, kill the mom less rabbits to hunt later.
Sadly theres is a massive lack in crown land in this province, there isnt to much for crown with in 2 hrs.
hope this helps

Great thanks for your help! Good rule of thumb too, we will make sure not to hunt them for the summer months then.