PDA

View Full Version : 2 3/4 12 gauge on Turkey

astuart44
03-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Anyone have any good results shooting turkey with 2 3/4 12 gauge? I have a Mossy 500 that is chambered for 2 3/4 but I am thinking of buying a 3 inch version. Do I really need it?

Dick284
03-25-2014, 04:32 PM
I'd be more worried about how it patterns.

flyguyd
03-25-2014, 06:25 PM
I'd be more worried about how it patterns.

X2

Pattern it out to 50yds with 4,5,and 6 turkey loads preferablly and see what u get . Then decide if you need a 3"

nube
03-25-2014, 06:48 PM
If you are hunting in Alberta think about
1.How often you get a tag
2. how hard it is to call one in
3. How much time and money your going to spend going around to kill one
and then realize that a turkey can take an absolute beating with a shotgun if not hit right and you will lose him. To me I would borrow a gun and shoot a 3.5" shell every time. You could kill one with a 410 but to me why chance it

flyguyd
03-25-2014, 08:20 PM
If you are hunting in Alberta think about
1.How often you get a tag
2. how hard it is to call one in
3. How much time and money your going to spend going around to kill one
and then realize that a turkey can take an absolute beating with a shotgun if not hit right and you will lose him. To me I would borrow a gun and shoot a 3.5" shell every time. You could kill one with a 410 but to me why chance it

1. Probly only 1 if you are just starting to apply
2. Not very hard at all,with a little practice
3. Your right its not gonna be cheap.
Shoot them in the head they die,no matter what the ga. or case length. Ive killed a few with a 2 3/4 gun it was all i had. I have a 3" now and it does give a range advantage however.
I would absolutley love to take one with my little bolt action .410 (bucket List):)

nube
03-25-2014, 09:20 PM
1. Probly only 1 if you are just starting to apply
2. Not very hard at all,with a little practice
3. Your right its not gonna be cheap.
Shoot them in the head they die,no matter what the ga. or case length. Ive killed a few with a 2 3/4 gun it was all i had. I have a 3" now and it does give a range advantage however.
I would absolutley love to take one with my little bolt action .410 (bucket List):)

I think you get my point! :) You can hunt moose and elk with a 243 as well but if you had the choice to go with something larger I think it would make more sense. Not saying it can't be done but there were a few stories in Turkey camp last year that a little more range and pellets may have been a little help to some.

goldscud
03-25-2014, 10:57 PM
#4 shot out of my Rem 870 2 3/4" worked. Old gun bored out to modified. I would not shot over 40 yd though

Mistagin
03-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Killed 4 birds in 4 seasons in Ontario with my 35 year old 870, modified choke, # 5 shot. longest shot was less than 20 yards :).

Man, I miss turkey hunting!

32-40win
03-26-2014, 01:18 AM
It's all about the pattern for turkey. With an extra full lead choke of some form, if it will put a bunch of pellets into a turkey head target at 50 yds and leave no holes bigger than about an inch, you should be pretty good. Mine puts 13-15 pellets into the kill zone from base of neck to top of head. That is #6 shot. You could also look at Hevishot or something like it, expensive, but,
in the 2-3/4 rounds, they do pack the shot into them. Guys down south are even using #7 Hevishot to get the pellet count up.
I have used the Undertaker chokes in a Mossberg 500 and an 870, worked well in both, and were around 35.00 (?), with the Win #6 plated/buffered shot.
You want to see what lengths the boys down south will go to, check out OldGobbler forum.

hunterfisher
03-26-2014, 09:30 AM
People have forever used 2 3/4 shot guns to kill because it's all they had. Why would it be different know. Yes you have better chance but just pattern an place. Head shots always.

husky7mm
03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
No problem. You can get magnum 2 3/4 also, lots of energy just a bit less shot in the air. I would suggest at least a full choke to extend the range.

fingershooter
04-01-2014, 11:51 AM
I think that's more than enough. Turkey loads or #5's or #6's in the heaviest load you can get and get within 25 - 30 yds. Most of ours have been much closer. I've even taken one with my El Faisan 410 with 7 1/2's while grouse hunting. Good luck

Foxton Gundogs
04-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Anyone have any good results shooting turkey with 2 3/4 12 gauge? I have a Mossy 500 that is chambered for 2 3/4 but I am thinking of buying a 3 inch version. Do I really need it?

#2 shot moving 1550 FPS out of a 2 3/4" shell is no different than #2 shot moving at 1550 FPS out of a 3 1/2" shell, The only difference is the number of pellets being tossed. The real key is as others have said patterning, if you can get 60-70% pellets on 'target' you are going to kill stuff same as we did when we were all shooting 2 3/4" shells.

waterninja
04-02-2014, 12:08 PM
last friday i picked up some 12 ga. shells for turkey at bass pro in calgary. they were shipped in special from toronto. the fellow member that i picked them up for told me that he has waited 10 years for his turkey tag and did not want to have any doubts about the ammo he was using. apparently if you started applying new for a turkey tag in alberta you would have to wait 43 years before your priority would allow you to get a tag.
the shells are 3 1/2" 5shot and are made for longer distance turkey. they are called Winchester longbeard. there were 16 boxes left at bass pro last week if anyone interested.

buckbrushoutdoors
04-02-2014, 12:32 PM
last friday i picked up some 12 ga. shells for turkey at bass pro in calgary. they were shipped in special from toronto. the fellow member that i picked them up for told me that he has waited 10 years for his turkey tag and did not want to have any doubts about the ammo he was using. apparently if you started applying new for a turkey tag in alberta you would have to wait 43 years before your priority would allow you to get a tag.
the shells are 3 1/2" 5shot and are made for longer distance turkey. they are called Winchester longbeard. there were 16 boxes left at bass pro last week if anyone interested.

Where are you going turkey hunting?

shakeyleg02
04-02-2014, 05:13 PM

Only problem is it wont matter if its a long range turkey shell or not if the shotgun wont pattern them

Northern Canuck
04-02-2014, 05:49 PM
I have had times when I shot geese way farther out with my 2 3/4 reloads than friends with their 3 in store bought shells. If your aim is off it doesn't matter if you are shooting a 410 or a howitzer you are not going to take home a turkey. I have shot them with both mentioned shells and they died just the same. The most important thing is to pattern the shells with your gun.:character0110: