PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tent Chimney Height

Prairiewolf
03-26-2014, 10:22 AM
So I should be receiving my new wall tent in the next few weeks, and am busy working on getting the remaining items in place. I have a wood stove, but have not yet purchased the chimney parts yet. The manual for the stove suggests a pretty high height over the peak, but that's based on its use in a house.

Just out of curiosity, what do some of you guys have for heights on your chimneys for your tent stoves? Does your draw get affected by too long/short of an outdoor vertical pipe section?

Tundra Monkey
03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Make sure it is higher than the peak by a foot or two so the wind takes the sparks away from the tent.

Nice to have an extra layer of fireproof canvas around it as well for when it ain't windy :happy0034:

calgarychef
03-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Once it gets warmed up the higher the chimney the better it draws. If you're in a windy area some guy wires are a good idea

pseelk
03-26-2014, 11:07 AM
I have 5-2ft sections on mine.So thats 10ft of pipe.Peak hieght is 8 1/2 ft.Top of stove is approx 2ft,so from ground to top of pipe isapprox 12ft.I have never had to use guy wires for this setup,even in very high wind conditions.

Grizzly Adams
03-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Make sure it is higher than the peak by a foot or two so the wind takes the sparks away from the tent.

Nice to have an extra layer of fireproof canvas around it as well for when it ain't windy :happy0034:

Spark arrestor and plastic tarp over the roof is my fix. :D

Grizz

lok
03-26-2014, 12:58 PM
I like a nim of 2 feet above the highest point on the tent. Have yet to burn any holes by having it at this height

chimpac
03-26-2014, 04:10 PM
5 inches above the canvas works for me.

No spark arrestor, and I got no burn holes.

nelsonob1
03-26-2014, 04:36 PM
5" above the canvas works for me and I got no burn holes.

I suggest going with 3-5 ft above the top to improve both draw and keep the sparks off the canvass. I use three cables to hold it in place.

Sooner
03-26-2014, 11:05 PM
I have 2 galvanized 3 ft sections of pipe. Tack welded the seams and joint, turned it upside down so the pipes drain creosote into each other and back into the stove. No more drips out the seams or joints. The 6 ft section goes from stove to right out the tent, then I screw in an 2 ft section on top with a cap so I get it higher than the roof ridge line. May sound silly but years ago I was always worried about sparks so i bought some heavy storm door screen and I screw a large piece on top of the cap. The heat molds it around the top and it catches all the sparks and holds them until they turn to ash while the smoke goes through. Looks redneck but works slick(the mesh on top).

Big Bull
03-27-2014, 02:18 PM
If there is no fire danger rating is low, I prefer to not use a spark arrester, as I feel they clog up and create more chance of getting burns in your roof. Top of pipe should be at least a couple of feet above ridge line. Put a damper in your pipe 18-20" above stove. I do not burn any garbage in my stove, as I found that lead to a lot of burns in the roof as well.

anthony5
03-27-2014, 09:02 PM
It is always good to have your chimney height approx 12" above the height of your tent, cabin, or whatever you are using because you can run into a negative air pressure situation and the air funnels down the chimney, not a whole bunch of fun if you don't have mega heat to force the air up in the wee hrs or the night:mad0100:

propliner
03-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Maybe a foot above the stove jack. I've been burning pine and poplar for years this way.

Sundreroper
03-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Like everyone else i think its pretty standard to have about 12" of height above the ridgeline, as far as a spark arrester i have never used one but do see their value. I don't think i have as many burn holes from sparks as i do holes from the arrows when i used to store the tent behind the archery butts at the CAC years ago. :)

chimpac
03-30-2014, 05:22 AM
The latest and greatest ideas for getting 80% to 90% efficiency from a woodstove has come from the people doing rocket stoves. No sparks or very little heat come from the chimney.
They use a hot riser pipe that could be put on any stove. The pipe would come out of the stove up into a vertical 5 or 10 gallon can (closed bottom end up), the pipe extending to about 2" from the top of the can. The chimney is connected to an outlet near the bottom of the can.
I use a hot riser pipe in my backpack coffee can stove (with chimney) for winter. I just add a riser pipe and a can to the top of my summer wood or esbit burner.

Donkey Slayer
03-30-2014, 08:21 AM
buy a fly for your tent for extra security. We have our vent pipe very high but we still get the odd burn on the fly. Fly is cheaper to replace than the canvas. The fly we purchased is made for the 14 x 16 wall tent.

PS. the fly makes it warmer during the winter, late fall camping.