PDA

View Full Version : B.C. HWY 24 Fishing Trip Advice Needed

dfrobert
03-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Looking for advice/suggestions about fishing and accommodations along HWY 24. The game plan is to stay in the area the first week of July and fish for Rainbows and Lakers. Cabin rental will be needed for myself, wife, and 8 month old son. The lakes I have been looking into have been Lac Des Roches, Canim Lake, Bridge Lake, Horsefly, etc, etc. Have a boat that I can use on big water that will work for trolling Lakers or fly fishing for Rainbows. Taking up the float tube as well.

What are your thoughts on this area and specific lakes for good fishing and good cabin rentals? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!

elkdump
03-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Sheridan lake has good Kokanee and trout Fishing, I found LacDeRoche to be a dud, Bridge is ok, Horse Lake is good,

Canim lake is large and has best opportunities of All

dfrobert
03-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks elkdump! You ever rented a cabin in the area? I'd prefer to camp it, but with the little man and mom its best to have them in a comfy cabin!

nekred
03-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Stop at fly fishing shop in little fort and buy some stuff there and talk with owner when no one else is in store.... buy lots of flies and once you get to know him he will let you know about a few jewels....

AppleJax
03-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Sounds like a good trip Darcy. I've never fished that area but personally I would be looking for the smaller lakes with Rainbows in them if I were to.

dfrobert
03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Sounds good guys. Too many lakes in that area, a guy could fish a lifetime in there and still keep fishing new water. Keep any info coming. Thanks.

elkdump
03-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks elkdump! You ever rented a cabin in the area? I'd prefer to camp it, but with the little man and mom its best to have them in a comfy cabin!

try Google "Tourism 100 Mile House BC " most lakes have resorts that rent cabins,

another good lake with good lodges is Timothy Lake 20 minutes north of 100 Mile House on hwy 97

elkdump
03-27-2014, 10:19 AM

try ,,,,,,,, wwwsouthcaribootourism.com

Fishhunter
03-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Moondance bay resort on bridge lake has cabin rentals and is great for kids look up there website of the same name.We hammered big lakers one after another up to 24 lbs and some nice rainbows on the fly or trolling apex.My wife won the local fishing derby for lake trout there.some cool stores at the interlakes junction not far away and 100 mile house is just an hour away give or take.they have freezers on site to keep fish,I know I would go back there in a heartbeat.look at fawn lake to it looked like a nice place and good trout fishing as well,Sheridan just looked to busy for us but may be another option.have fun

dfrobert
03-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Fishhunter, Awesome!! Are guys running downriggers for the Lakers in Bridge Lake? I'm setup with scotty portable riggers on the boat. Are guys using big spoons to imitate Kokanee?

Mgriff
03-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Sheridan lake is a great spot. Cabins are quite reasonable, but you have to book early as they get filled up quick.

dfrobert
03-27-2014, 04:51 PM
So many lakes hard to decide! I'm kind of leaning towards Bridge Lake though. Could fish there and many other smaller lakes close by for day trips.

elkdump
03-27-2014, 05:01 PM
So many lakes hard to decide! I'm kind of leaning towards Bridge Lake though. Could fish there and many other smaller lakes close by for day trips.

more than a dozen lakes within 20 minutes of Bridge Lake, they call it "Lake Country" :sign0161:

Fishhunter
03-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Fishhunter, Awesome!! Are guys running downriggers for the Lakers in Bridge Lake? I'm setup with scotty portable riggers on the boat. Are guys using big spoons to imitate Kokanee?

Lead core line about 7 colors then 20'15 lbs mono,find the hump in between the islands beside grass hump and go over that hump just about dragging bottom with a 5 or 6" flat fish black with silver specs.downriggers prob be a good idea for Kokanee.

Fishhunter
03-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Lead core line about 7 colors then 20'15 lbs mono,find the hump in between the islands beside grass hump and go over that hump just about dragging bottom with a 5 or 6" flat fish black with silver specs.downriggers prob be a good idea for Kokanee.

Ya we had planned to fish all the little lakes on the forestry service roads but just ended up staying in moondance bay the whole trip and just doing a few day trips to the small lakes.fair bit of info type in fishing highway 24

dfrobert
03-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! Should be a great trip.

elkoholik
03-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Give Kurt a call at eagle island resort. Great place and people, fishing for me has been excellent there. If you fish lac de Roche there is a big shoal west of the campground that has produced well for me, caught a 12lb tank there a few years ago. They have some cabins may be a big rustic but worth checking out. Nice area for the kids and if needed they rent tinners.

Cheers, Dave

FishAb
03-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Give Kurt a call at eagle island resort. Great place and people, fishing for me has been excellent there. If you fish lac de Roche there is a big shoal west of the campground that has produced well for me, caught a 12lb tank there a few years ago. They have some cabins may be a big rustic but worth checking out. Nice area for the kids and if needed they rent tinners.

Cheers, Dave

I agree about contacting eagle island resort