PDA

View Full Version : Trophy deer industry linked to disease, costs taxpayers millions

tonnage
03-28-2014, 03:16 PM
From an Alberta Outdoorsmen tweet. Excellent series complete with video.
http://www.indystar.com/longform/news/investigations/2014/03/27/buck-fever-intro/6865031/

no-regard
03-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Wow, very interesting. It's worse than I realized. Quite sad really.

Bowman90
03-28-2014, 06:18 PM
They should just get rid of all the farms, I know it sounds harsh but what would we do if we couldn't hunt deer anymore.

bruceba
03-28-2014, 08:25 PM
They should just get rid of all the farms, I know it sounds harsh but what would we do if we couldn't hunt deer anymore.

Well what do you propose we do with all the deer harvested in known CWD area's that are then transported around our province. They are then processed and I'm quite sure the remains are not disposed of as with any thought process that they may contain CWD prions. This will leapfrog around our province probably a lot faster than some of us could imagine.

tonnage
03-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Here's something to chew on. Imagine, and I know the chance is remote, but it isn't zero, CWD jumps the species barrier to humans. Governments would have to kill every single farmed and wild deer, elk, and possibly moose, there is. The fear of a zombie-like disease in humans would demand it. That would be the end of hunting as we know it because governments, against warning, allowed game farming and the domestication of wild animals.

Red Bullets
03-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Here's something to chew on. Imagine, and I know the chance is remote, but it isn't zero, CWD jumps the species barrier to humans. Governments would have to kill every single farmed and wild deer, elk, and possibly moose, there is. The fear of a zombie-like disease in humans would demand it. That would be the end of hunting as we know it because governments, against warning, allowed game farming and the domestication of wild animals.

The Gov't would have to kill the infected humans too.:fighting0021:

During the past 50 years hunting has already ended as I knew it. :sad0071:

Bowman90
03-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Somebody needs to come up with something to do!

Mekanik
03-29-2014, 06:29 AM
Somebody needs to come up with something to do!

Go to school, get your masters in biology and work on a cure.

Short of that, no legislation is going to change the fact that this disease is in the wild and affecting our herds of wild game.