PDA

View Full Version : Bear baiting on a grazing lease

7mmremmag
03-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Just looking for some input on this.
I want to bait bears, and have found a spot bears are frequenting. But the area is all grazing lease.
On the mywildalberta.com website it states grazing lease owners must provide reasonable recreational access.
Would one classify baiting bears as reasonable?
I know farmers arent real big fans of bears, but would they really want a bait around? It is a very secluded area, im not even sure if its used much for cattle as it is quite thick bush, but it is fenced.
What do you think?
Also if I know the grazing lease number is there anyway I can contact someone to find out whos grazing lease it is?

pikergolf
03-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Your best bet is to talk to the lease holder, you'd have to run baiting past him anyways. You can find him here.

https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAccess/default.aspx?Viewer=RecAccess

.257Weatherby
03-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Well, why not contact the leasee and get their thoughts on the co-use of the land instead of asking for a consensus here?

Because I am from BC (baiting for bears is illegal) not debating Provincial Rules or methods for that matter.

My simple train of thought from the post is that it might be a no go for baiting , but not for stalking/spot and stalk hunting of the bears that roam this parcel of land.

You did say there are a number of bears in this area didnt you?

Again, not debating the baiting issue but rather the co-use of the land.

Rob

Grizzly Adams
03-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Guess the first question is if baiting is even allowed ? About all of the leases I know of that hold bears are also in no baiting areas.

Grizz

7mmremmag
03-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Yes baiting is allowed in this WMU. I checked on the map that pikergolf attached to his post and the grazing lease I wish to bait on has "No contact info required" in the contact info section. All it says is no permission required for foot access.
I may have to just stop at the farmers around the area and ask whos it is?

pikergolf
03-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Yes baiting is allowed in this WMU. I checked on the map that pikergolf attached to his post and the grazing lease I wish to bait on has "No contact info required" in the contact info section. All it says is no permission required for foot access.

You may have to consult a county land owners map to find the lease holder. I would not bait without talking to the lease holder first.

Cowtown guy
03-29-2014, 11:43 AM

If you wish to spot and stalk on foot you are good to go. If you want to try and get a bait in there and maintain it you will need to talk to the leasee.

You can talk to locals in the area to see who runs the lease. They may know. Ask the nearest neighbour.

7mmremmag
03-29-2014, 12:06 PM
I definitely would NOT bait on a grazing lease until I had 100% permission from the owner of the lease

calgarychef
03-29-2014, 12:16 PM
On one hand the lessee might like to get rid of some bears, but on the other hand they might not want more bears being attracted onto the lease.

7mmremmag
03-29-2014, 12:18 PM
On one hand the lessee might like to get rid of some bears, but on the other hand they might not want more bears being attracted onto the lease.

Exactly what I was thinking, 6 of one half a dozen of the other

Ranch11
03-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Yes it is allowed. Ask for access, and if permitted, follow the rules for baiting. I've been doing it for a few years on a grazing lease. Post your warning signs with your WIN info on it. No worries.

Dirt2oil
03-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Forget the bait ! spot and stalk is much more gratifying! Good luck on your adventure!

Swangin
03-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Yes listen to dirt guy, his way is better than the other way....because he said so :thinking-006::sign0066::rolleyes:

brownbomber
03-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Where in relation to Lloyd

wildcat111
03-30-2014, 05:57 PM
if you contact fish and wildlife they should be able to get the contact info for you.