PDA

View Full Version : New hunter....

Snemetchek
03-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Hey so I moved to Strathmore just one a year ago. I would like to get into hunting but don't know any decentb spots around here. I am sticking to deer hunting for now. Also what type of camouflage would everyone reccomend for deer hunting. All I have is pre81 Browning blr I was gifted and that's about it haha sorry for the newbie questions.

openfire
03-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Now would be a good time to introduce your self to a few farmers in the area.
Maybe see if they would let you look around for antlers and see if they are open o hunting on their land. Welcome by the way.

Fowl91
03-29-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm out in Strathmore as well, my advice is the same as everyone else will give: go and introduce yourself to some farmers in the area, and ask for permission. There's lots of whitetail around, especially east of town.
Good luck

Icon
03-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Welcome!

Added to what has already been said, you don't need camo for deer hunting. That said, if you insist on camo, then get the lightest one you can find as the country side around Strathmore is grass land, not forest.

Dunezilla
03-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Welcome! You don't need camo for deer hunting.

A-Men. Unless you want to look cool then get camo, but it is not needed.

Smokinyotes
03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
A-Men. Unless you want to look cool then get camo, but it is not needed.

I agree. If you want to look cool wear camo. Nothing like 3 guys head to toe in camo road hunting.

Flatlandliver
03-29-2014, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=Snemetchek;2382982]Hey so I moved to Strathmore just one a year ago. I would like to get into hunting but don't know any decentb spots around here. I am sticking to deer hunting for now. Also what type of camouflage would everyone reccomend for deer hunting.

Good boots, blue jeans, Forest Lawn dinner jacket and a Elmer Fudd hat.

Dunezilla
03-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Good boots, blue jeans, Forest Lawn dinner jacket and a Elmer Fudd hat.

I say good boots, jeans, T-shirt (if warm out) & a bandana or a nice cap.

Secret coulee
03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Amen to a billion dollar scheme of camo what a bloody joke

Stay out of sight and down wind and don't press it pathionts is key.they should only see a bow at full draw at a rIfle half sinched down

Good luck,don't over think it

Dunezilla
03-30-2014, 10:40 AM
I will add restrict your movement. Movement is a dead giveaway. The best camo that works for me is no movement (until the time is right) & kneeling. Find land to hunt on 1st, scout the land as often as possible, & practise trying to get close to a deer in the environment you plan to hunt. Come hunting season get that deer, or 2.

bsmitty27
03-30-2014, 11:55 AM
I don't know that area but if I'm going to a new are I use google earth to find features that will hold deer and focus my door knocking around that. Get a county map and make some rounds.
Good luck

Brad

winger7mm
03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Dont look like a homeless boozed up hobo too when you go knock on doors. Dont go a week before hunting season either......... Go early summer, then tell em youll be back when it gets closer to the season to let them know when you plan on heading out (granted they tell you to come back, or they allow hunters!)

Or even if you call em, let em know you plan on being in the area "X" day and youd like meet em, get a lay for the land ect. Even if they dont allow hunting, IME most have been very kind people and will help you with neighbors ect. some can be terrible but for the most part theyve been great. No reason to be scared or nervous about asking permission :)

Brook
07-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Found this forum from this thread coming back in my google search for hunting in Strathmore.

I am the biggest newbie ever, as in I've never even shot a real gun before (only pellet). I live in Nightingale (north of Strathmore) and currently going through the motions of getting my PAL. I am wanting to know how someone with no experience would go about learning to hunt. I am mainly interested in game birds and deer for food, but I think I would like to start with birds before deer.

Are there local hunting clubs? Or do you just need to try and find someone to tag along with? Do hunters have much patience for newbies like me? I see a lot of stuff about long hunting trips, and I was hoping for something a little closer to home to start, as this is all a bit overwhelming as I start researching.

I see this thread is from a year ago...did you find farmers in the area who will let you hunt? I've met lots of people in the area, I'm sure that part wouldn't be too hard....but goodness, I don't even know where to start! :)

Mountain Guy
07-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Hey so I moved to Strathmore just one a year ago. I would like to get into hunting but don't know any decentb spots around here. I am sticking to deer hunting for now. Also what type of camouflage would everyone reccomend for deer hunting. All I have is pre81 Browning blr I was gifted and that's about it haha sorry for the newbie questions.

Go with Sitka.... if you shop around you should be able to pick up an outfit for around $500. :)

purgatory.sv
07-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Found this forum from this thread coming back in my google search for hunting in Strathmore.

I am the biggest newbie ever, as in I've never even shot a real gun before (only pellet). I live in Nightingale (north of Strathmore) and currently going through the motions of getting my PAL. I am wanting to know how someone with no experience would go about learning to hunt. I am mainly interested in game birds and deer for food, but I think I would like to start with birds before deer.

Are there local hunting clubs? Or do you just need to try and find someone to tag along with? Do hunters have much patience for newbies like me? I see a lot of stuff about long hunting trips, and I was hoping for something a little closer to home to start, as this is all a bit overwhelming as I start researching.

I see this thread is from a year ago...did you find farmers in the area who will let you hunt? I've met lots of people in the area, I'm sure that part wouldn't be too hard....but goodness, I don't even know where to start! :)

You reside in zone 2 here is a link for clubs.

http://www.afga.org/clubs-and-zones.html

Get your pal.

Take a hunter education class the link for this is

http://www.aheia.com/

purgatory.sv
07-20-2014, 11:56 AM

Dress comfortable when you are hunting.

Brook
07-20-2014, 12:16 PM
You reside in zone 2 here is a link for clubs.

http://www.afga.org/clubs-and-zones.html

Get your pal.

Take a hunter education class the link for this is

http://www.aheia.com/

Thanks, getting my PAL this fall...guess I will work on this course shortly afterwards.