PDA

View Full Version : Netting and Window busting at Battle Lake.

timsesink
03-29-2014, 05:07 PM
To say today's ice fishing could have gone better I think would be a fair statement. Loaded up the new truck with a tons of gear, greasy food, a good friend and my 10 month old Gregory and headed out to Battle Lake. A blizzard set in but we fished for a few hours with some nice fish landed, then it happened.

As we sat in the truck watching our set lines one of them tripped, I grabbed Gregory and my friend and I raced out to land the fish, it was a nice size but as we went back the truck we realized with horror somehow the truck had auto locked and we were now locked out with a baby, in a blizzard, on the middle of a lake quite literally in the middle of nowhere. After going through all the options we realised that we had to smash the back window of my new truck. The only tool available was my new Strikemaster ice auger which my friend used to eventually break the window. Let's just say it was a good opportunity to practice patience and long suffering. It was also a good reminder that things are just that, things not people. And yes it auto locked on me again as I cleaned up at home so I'm not crazy :)

Also saw some commercial fisherman pulling in their nets, the size of the whites was unreal, it's no lie when I say many where 8+ pounds. They also had about 10 walleye who were all a nice size and super chunky. While the fishermen were nice the concept of netting on a Central Alberta lake seems like a horrible decision with all the pressure these lakes receive, especially on one as small as Battle. Thoughts?

Fish face
03-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Don't like the nets. Especially on a small lake. My uncle jerry used to net Pigeon Lake I believe. lived outside of wetaskwin and smoked em. Hes gone now, didn't really have an opinion on it when I was younger. Have an opinion now. Sorry to hear about the window. But ya gotta keep the wee ones comfy. Your right. Its just a window.

bhguy
03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Netting is bull crap period!

Was your new truck a ford?? Lol. Sorry for your day, but at least you got fresh air

waterninja
03-29-2014, 07:43 PM
sorry to hear about your bad luck with the truck. iv'e had 2 vehicles that auto locked whether running or not (1 ford 1 dodge). i bet you will always have a spare key hidden somewhere on your truck or at least in your pocket. believe it or not ins. might cover the smashed window even though you smashed it.
glad you got home safe and caught some fish.