PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting this year with my 54cal

leeelmer
03-30-2014, 09:54 AM
So I have decided that from now on I will be sheep hunting with my Lyman Great Plains 54cal black powder.\
I have not killed a sheep yet and if I hunt for the rest of my life with the old cap and ball and not get one thats ok to.
I love hunting and I shoot long range with my target rifles but I never had hunted with them. Just not into killing at long range I guess.\
I elk hunted and moose hunted the last few years with the powder gun and I think that I am hooked. I got and nice young bull moose two years ago with her and it was a great experience.
I know that I am greatly limiting my chances of getting a sheep with this old girl but, you know its more about the hunt than it is about the killing.
Any of you guys powder hunt sheep?
Thanks guys and I will let you know if I ever connect with one with the old gal.

silver lab
03-30-2014, 10:47 AM
I was thinking of doing the same but............ After I get one under my belt.

petew
03-30-2014, 11:18 AM
So I have decided that from now on I will be sheep hunting with my Lyman Great Plains 54cal black powder.\
I have not killed a sheep yet and if I hunt for the rest of my life with the old cap and ball and not get one thats ok to.
I love hunting and I shoot long range with my target rifles but I never had hunted with them. Just not into killing at long range I guess.\
I elk hunted and moose hunted the last few years with the powder gun and I think that I am hooked. I got and nice young bull moose two years ago with her and it was a great experience.
I know that I am greatly limiting my chances of getting a sheep with this old girl but, you know its more about the hunt than it is about the killing.
Any of you guys powder hunt sheep?
Thanks guys and I will let you know if I ever connect with one with the old gal.

Great stuff, and good luck.

pseelk
03-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Guys do it with archery equipment,so it is certainly doable.Good luck and dont forget to post pics.:)

bdub
03-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Good luck, you can do it.

Lr1000
03-30-2014, 06:48 PM
How heavy is the gun? Good luck. I do Like shooting mine. Typically for whites or elk tho.

leeelmer
03-31-2014, 06:32 PM
She is about 10.5 pounds so not that bad.
Should be a good trip with the horses this fall