PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Open Water Fishing Derby - Discussion/Congrats Thread

coppercarbide
03-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Okay, I just posted the 2014 Open Water Derby thread.

Let's try to keep discussion and such in here.

Have a read through the rules, let me know if I missed anything from the general consensus, and I'll modify.

Cole's notes: Apr 1 - Oct 31, picture with ruler and ID needed, barrier between fish and ground needed, 20 species total, no endangered fish.

Have at 'er boys, best of luck to all!

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Just want to say I applaud the well thought out rules and conditions of the contest.....I didn't want to derail the "official thread".

Nice work folks....I will be participating.

LC

coppercarbide
03-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Haha, thanks LC. I learned from last time and made a 'discussion' thread this time to in order to keep the official thread cleaner.

Rules were pretty much done by the closest you can get to 'consensus' on AO, haha, AJ, Dago, and myself just pretty much wrote down what everyone wanted.

I'm looking forward to it, always nice to know people are getting out and enjoying the province.

chriscosta
03-31-2014, 12:25 PM
So wben exactly will it start ? When and wbere do we get the Ao derby sighn for the pics ...cant wait to get at it lol

chriscosta
03-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Nevermind lol I just read the post on the top .. can I save a picture of the card and print it off at a kiosk ...it would make it easiest for me cuz I dont have a computer just my phone thx

RavYak
03-31-2014, 01:38 PM
You should add a link in the OP to the official thread since most people are going to probably only see this.

Edit: Pretty sure tipups shouldn't be allowed in an open water tournament ;)

BeeGuy
03-31-2014, 01:42 PM
You should add a link in the OP to the official thread since most people are going to probably only see this.

Edit: Pretty sure tipups shouldn't be allowed in an open water tournament ;)

Not true, I've pulled in a couple lunker tip-ups at ghost res during open water ;)

WayneChristie
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Longnose , mountain and white suckers can be confusing, should maybe just have a miscellaneous sucker category instead? plus the other 2.

BeeGuy
03-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Longnose , mountain and white suckers can be confusing, should maybe just have a miscellaneous sucker category instead? plus the other 2.

What is confusing about Alberta's Premier Sportfish, the Mountain Whitefish?

:snapoutofit:

WayneChristie
03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

mountain suckers for the love of $%%# :fighting0074:

Steven Noel
03-31-2014, 02:05 PM

He's actually referring to the Mountain Sucker, Catostomus platyrhynchus.

WayneChristie
03-31-2014, 02:07 PM
thought you couldnt use that sort of language on the forum anymore!!! :argue2:

BeeGuy
03-31-2014, 02:27 PM
mountain suckers for the love of $%%# :fighting0074:

White suckers and mountain suckers aren't in the contest

BeeGuy
03-31-2014, 02:29 PM
oh I see what you mean.

BeeGuy
03-31-2014, 02:31 PM

Wayne caught that or contracted it?

jacenbeers
03-31-2014, 03:01 PM
I agree with Wayne about the suckers. White suckers are pretty common and are not included and I think they should be.

Steven Noel
03-31-2014, 03:02 PM
Wayne caught that or contracted it?

Fishing: one of the few times saying "I caught something unusual," isn't usually followed by "I better visit the ER".

chriscosta
03-31-2014, 03:40 PM
K so can I just print this photo off at walmart or something and use it for the derby picshttp://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r218/chriscosta2/Mobile%20Uploads/DoodleText.com-last_zpsvddxx5mj.jpg

Flieguy
03-31-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree with Wayne about the suckers. White suckers are pretty common and are not included and I think they should be.

if we include suckers we gotta include minnow species such as creek chub, flathead chub, etc.... then I'd have a shot at winning a category!

coppercarbide
03-31-2014, 04:22 PM
K so can I just print this photo off at walmart or something and use it for the derby pics

Yup, that'll work. You can print the blank one off and just sign your name if you want too.

dodger
03-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Seagulls included?

Dodger.

chriscosta
03-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Yup, that'll work. You can print the blank one off and just sign your name if you want too.

Im using my phone ...I dont have a computer and a printer ...so this might be easiest for me

BeeGuy
03-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Fishing: one of the few times saying "I caught something unusual," isn't usually followed by "I better visit the ER".

Hahahha, wait until you fish in the ocean. There are some mean critters in there!

Gust
03-31-2014, 05:04 PM
K so can I just print this photo off at walmart or something and use it for the derby picshttp://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r218/chriscosta2/Mobile%20Uploads/DoodleText.com-last_zpsvddxx5mj.jpg

Go to a UPS store and have them print it for you.

Gust
03-31-2014, 05:07 PM
if we include suckers we gotta include minnow species such as creek chub, flathead chub, etc.... then I'd have a shot at winning a category!

and Sculpin (caught one in the Bow when I was a kid)

Did you find the Helly Hansen jacket? I went in there to see if it was still there and it was gone. There were HH pants but they wouldn't fit around me.

white eagle
03-31-2014, 05:07 PM
lets all participents in derby pitch in 5$ winner takes all

Gust
03-31-2014, 05:16 PM

can't, as then it will get legitimised and the law will come.

BeeGuy
03-31-2014, 05:26 PM

I've already committed a trophy donation for the largest RMWF.

Someone just has to beat me.

Y'all wanna make money, join the walleye tour or place side bets off the board with your buddies.

coppercarbide
03-31-2014, 06:30 PM

Hahahaha, easy to say when you're starting as the previous winer! Hahahaha. Great job on that by the way, some awesome fish.

Anyway, if we give cash OR prizes out for anything, the logistics and legalities become a lot more confusing. We've chatted about it with the winter tournament, and it's certainly possible, but nobody wants to attached their name to the paperwork, mailing, logistics, and legalities of it yet.

WayneChristie
03-31-2014, 07:20 PM
because Im in the tagging program, I am allowed to fish with 2 rods, so I will mark one as the derby rod and only count the fish I catch with that one for qualifying. only fair, same should apply to the rest of the taggers if they enter fish. :fighting0074:
on another note, got my 2014 research license in the mail today so its getting closer!!! :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: now if only spring would get here!!!!:sign0176:

WayneChristie
03-31-2014, 07:21 PM
I've already committed a trophy donation for the largest RMWF.

Someone just has to beat me.

Y'all wanna make money, join the walleye tour or place side bets off the board with your buddies.

lots of sticks down by the river :bad_boys_20:
may just make a trip to the big city this fall and whup your rocky :fighting0074:

rafhone
03-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Hahahaha, easy to say when you're starting as the previous winer! Hahahaha. Great job on that by the way, some awesome fish.

Anyway, if we give cash OR prizes out for anything, the logistics and legalities become a lot more confusing. We've chatted about it with the winter tournament, and it's certainly possible, but nobody wants to attached their name to the paperwork, mailing, logistics, and legalities of it yet.

I am very willing to cover the cost on a small trophy, and cover the engraving. Is paper work and legalities involved if I was to do just that? I havent even looked into it.

Rikkles Fisher
03-31-2014, 08:18 PM
Why doesn't each participant donate a new hook or two into a small tackle box and fill it up, winner gets a new tackle box full of goodies?:) Just an idea i know I'd rather win a tackle box full of new hooks then a little trophy lol

rafhone
03-31-2014, 08:25 PM
You can buy new hooks, a trophy means something.

Rikkles Fisher
03-31-2014, 08:38 PM
You can buy new hooks, a trophy means something.

A trophy means nothing to me lol

rafhone
03-31-2014, 08:41 PM
You could set up a paypal donation account for your new tackle box.

Rikkles Fisher
03-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Just like those little plano ones for 3 or 4 bucks, sure il buy the tackle box and everyone donate a new hook or two then BAM sweet prize to look forward too lol

rafhone
03-31-2014, 09:10 PM
Just like those little plano ones for 3 or 4 bucks, sure il buy the tackle box and everyone donate a new hook or two then BAM sweet prize to look forward too lol

I think the problem might be that when anything of "value" is a prize of a fishing tournament, you have to follow strict fish and wildlife regulations regarding a "derby". Kinda why i was saying small trophy, no big value. The thing with rules is that exceptions, no matter how logical, undermine the a fore mentioned rules.

Rikkles Fisher
03-31-2014, 10:11 PM
I think the problem might be that when anything of "value" is a prize of a fishing tournament, you have to follow strict fish and wildlife regulations regarding a "derby". Kinda why i was saying small trophy, no big value. The thing with rules is that exceptions, no matter how logical, undermine the a fore mentioned rules.

Lol yeah I'd look up the specifics on all that, might just very well be money the laws are for, go ahead and Google it up I'm sure you will find it!:happy0034: I don't care enough to bother finding out I would take just the bragging rights.

RavYak
03-31-2014, 10:29 PM
According to SRD there are 2 types of tournaments. Competitive and non competitive. Non competitive(ie no prizes) do not require a license. Competitive do not require a license as long as there are under 26 entrants.

There are most likely going to be more then 26 entrants so that means it can't be competitive.

rafhone
03-31-2014, 10:39 PM
thanks for looking that up for us.

AppleJax
04-01-2014, 01:32 AM
According to SRD there are 2 types of tournaments. Competitive and non competitive. Non competitive(ie no prizes) do not require a license. Competitive do not require a license as long as there are under 26 entrants.

There are most likely going to be more then 26 entrants so that means it can't be competitive.

You got it, this is just for fun everyone. Bragging rights trump any prize IMO.

waterninja
04-01-2014, 10:11 AM
x2. i agree with wayne. not really sure what a longnose sucker is, but i have a lot of respect for those toothless buggers. usually put up a better fight than walleye. if "regular" suckers are not on the list is it possible to add them, or have just a sucker category?
keeping redhorse seperate is fine as they are pretty easy to distinguish.
hope everyone has fun with this derby. good luck.

waterninja
04-01-2014, 10:26 AM
like to thank coppercarbide for setting up the rules and regs., and ajax and dago for being judges. must be pretty time consuming to tabulate all the entries. good on you guys.

WayneChristie
04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
like to thank coppercarbide for setting up the rules and regs., and ajax and dago for being judges. must be pretty time consuming to tabulate all the entries. good on you guys.

What he said

Steven Noel
04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
I'd also support a sucker category.

On a side note, have any of you guys landed a Quillback down in the SSR or lower RDR?

huntsfurfish
04-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Caught quillback in the Oldman.

Gust
04-01-2014, 01:11 PM
If I'm taking the fish home to eat, can I bonk the fish and measure it on shore, or does it have to be on the tarp dead or not?

coppercarbide
04-01-2014, 01:27 PM
If I'm taking the fish home to eat, can I bonk the fish and measure it on shore, or does it have to be on the tarp dead or not?

Still gotta be on the tarp (or other artificial surface) to take the picture.

I know most of us (myself included) practice catch and eat as well as C&R, and I certainly anticipate having some fish on my table this year.

However, in the interest of being flag-bearers for our hobby, and to be seen as good stewards in others eyes, it would be good to keep the pictures to live fish on a tarp or other artificial surface.

Again, not dissuading from having a good meal, just mindful of the optics and the potential for unwanted discussion wreaking havoc on an otherwise enjoyable tournament.

As an unofficial side note, while you can't tell if it's flopping or not in a picture, a big pool of blood on the tarp is best washed off first. :)

Thanks much, and I'm looking forward to ice-off!

Gust
04-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Still gotta be on the tarp (or other artificial surface) to take the picture.

I know most of us (myself included) practice catch and eat as well as C&R, and I certainly anticipate having some fish on my table this year.

However, in the interest of being flag-bearers for our hobby, and to be seen as good stewards in others eyes, it would be good to keep the pictures to live fish on a tarp or other artificial surface.

Again, not dissuading from having a good meal, just mindful of the optics and the potential for unwanted discussion wreaking havoc on an otherwise enjoyable tournament.

As an unofficial side note, while you can't tell if it's flopping or not in a picture, a big pool of blood on the tarp is best washed off first. :)

Thanks much, and I'm looking forward to ice-off!

Don't worry, it won't be head smashed in abattoir tarp,, I actually knife them on the spine.

Dale S
04-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Congrats to Reel Deal, on getting things started.

The Reel Deal
04-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Thx Dago!
My apologies on my handle, it's my ice fishing derby paper. My printer decided to run out of ink as I was leaving the house. I'll get the proper one today printed at work if everyone can forgive me this one time.
I was real happy with the brown, never caught one before and it was on my second cast! Somewhat anticlimactic since it hit at my feet and it was a quick flip onto the bank, no fight, but I guess it's a landed fish.
The rainbow struck in deep turbulent water, that was a nice fight!

Couldn't ask for a better opener!

chriscosta
04-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Thx Dago!
My apologies on my handle, it's my ice fishing derby paper. My printer decided to run out of ink as I was leaving the house. I'll get the proper one today printed at work if everyone can forgive me this one time.
I was real happy with the brown, never caught one before and it was on my second cast! Somewhat anticlimactic since it hit at my feet and it was a quick flip onto the bank, no fight, but I guess it's a landed fish.
The rainbow struck in deep turbulent water, that was a nice fight!

Couldn't ask for a better opener!
And it starts ....good one buddy them are some awesome starters

WayneChristie
04-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Im still waiting for open water! might be May 8 at this rate :sign0176: the Bow did open a bit in my hood yesterday, with the warm temps coming maybe my spring lake will open up.

waterninja
04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Congrats to Reel Deal, on getting things started.
x2 for reel deal being 1st out of the gate.

The Reel Deal
04-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Nice bow Rafhone!

rafhone
04-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Nice bow Rafhone!

Thank you sir

Flieguy
04-07-2014, 06:35 PM
BARRIERS

correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of a barrier is to protect the fish.

putting it down on dry grass or rocks will remove it's protective slime layer, leaving it scarred, and more prone to disease and parasites.
the best barriers are non abrasive, such as a piece of tarp, plastic bag, etc.

just wanted to bring that to attention, sorry to be a nitpicker.

The Reel Deal
04-07-2014, 07:05 PM
I had to get some one to tell me what this was since I just started trout fishing this year. Good thing its a bull trout cuz i totally forgot my tape in the truck :angry3:
i'm lucky i only caught a few browns that were smaller than one i already posted. Good times though, landed 5 between the 2 of us.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/thereeldeal1/Mobile%20Uploads/A7304214-5B37-46C4-BFFC-F37B3A5996A2_zpszwv9ctnt.jpg

hacman
04-08-2014, 10:07 PM
After trying to get a fish to sit still for a picture I realized that this is just not going to work using a wet towel as a barrier. Not worth having fish out of the water too long just to snap a pic. Using a tarp or piece of plastic in the wind isn't an option for me either. So, decided to build one from PVC pipe as suggested in the rules. Went down to RONA and instead of building it, I found a 36" PVC eavestrough extension with a cap on one end. I glued the cap on tight and attached a stick-on measuring tape to the inside of it. Just over $20 for supplies. It should hold the majority of the fish I catch and a bonus is that it holds water for the fish to sit in while they put their smile on for the camera.

Also found this link showing how to make one from plastic sheeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nnm38UcnQ8

The Reel Deal
04-08-2014, 10:25 PM
After trying to get a fish to sit still for a picture I realized that this is just not going to work using a wet towel as a barrier. Not worth having fish out of the water too long just to snap a pic. Using a tarp or piece of plastic in the wind isn't an option for me either. So, decided to build one from PVC pipe as suggested in the rules. Went down to RONA and instead of building it, I found a 36" PVC eavestrough extension with a cap on one end. I glued the cap on tight and attached a stick-on measuring tape to the inside of it. Just over $20 for supplies. It should hold the majority of the fish I catch and a bonus is that it holds water for the fish to sit in while they put their smile on for the camera.

cool!

Flieguy
04-09-2014, 07:14 AM

that's very similar to what Trout Unlimited uses to measure, theirs is PVC and works quite well. Zero is lined up with the end of the pipe so you can just hold the fish's nose to it. Did a lot of measuring for them, hardest things to measure are burbot, all muscle and slimy as heck.

WayneChristie
04-12-2014, 02:41 PM
if anyones interested I will be happy to do a wallhanger for the pike winner like this, Ive had more practice so I will do a better job on it
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/20140412_142017_zps39173a08.jpg

RavYak
04-12-2014, 06:33 PM
For those trying to figure out measuring tools. A measuring board(bought or made) is definitely the way to go.

I use a Hawg Trough which I like although it only goes up to 30 inches and is harder to buy here in Canada(I bought it from Austin Kayak website while in the states).

Another one I have seen used and seems to work decent is Plano extendable 36 inch board which you can buy for only $13 at the fishin hole.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=27595

With both you can make the numbers more readable by going over the lines with a sharpie. This may be required depending on your camera's abilities.

For larger species like pike you are pretty much stuck making your own. PVC tube works decent but is hard to store. Some guys make really nice folding wood ones but that takes a little more time and effort.

waterninja
04-12-2014, 07:47 PM
if anyones interested I will be happy to do a wallhanger for the pike winner like this, Ive had more practice so I will do a better job on it
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/20140412_142017_zps39173a08.jpg
gee wayne, you don't have to go to all that trouble for me......lol

waterninja
04-13-2014, 06:40 PM
so i whipped up a fish measuring "tube" today using stuff around the shop. 6" pvc water pipe cut in half. block at one end with yardstick glued and stapled for quick pics. like an idiot i made a rookie mistake and glued the yardstick upside down..lol. going to apply one of those self adhesive measuring tapes that iv'e seen at fishing hole and other places. the one at wss has so much advertizing on it that you can hardly read the numbers. hope i don't put that one upside down. Can't wait to try it out.

The Reel Deal
04-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Can anyone help me with which species sucker this is?http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/thereeldeal1/Mobile%20Uploads/EE6622BD-EDE8-48AB-8822-BCA082A280DA_zpsnryh8nts.jpg

RavYak
04-13-2014, 10:10 PM
I know little about suckers but I believe it is a redhorse, silver or shorthead I believe is determined by tail colour which your picture doesn't show(red is shorthead redhorse, silver is silver redhorse). Others should be able to confirm for you but might need a better picture showing entire fish.

rafhone
04-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Can anyone help me with which species sucker this is?http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/thereeldeal1/Mobile%20Uploads/EE6622BD-EDE8-48AB-8822-BCA082A280DA_zpsnryh8nts.jpg

my guess is a silver redhorse.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/other/sucker/redhorse/

Reddin
04-13-2014, 10:33 PM

If it is a competitive derby, the derby should be registered. It's in the regulations.

The Reel Deal
04-13-2014, 10:39 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/thereeldeal1/Mobile%20Uploads/AE5A2538-3755-4DA3-BA5E-F37F85765F68_zpsowxlwcq1.jpgI know little about suckers but I believe it is a redhorse, silver or shorthead I believe is determined by tail colour which your picture doesn't show(red is shorthead redhorse, silver is silver redhorse). Others should be able to confirm for you but might need a better picture showing entire fish.

RavYak
04-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Yep looks like a silver redhorse to me as well.

WayneChristie
04-13-2014, 10:48 PM
its not a silver redhorse their scales are much bigger. its a white or a mountain most likely, which is why we need an open sucker category some are hard to distinguish
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/Species%20and%20Habitats/Species%20Guide%20Index/Images/silverredhorse.jpg

WayneChristie
04-13-2014, 10:49 PM
If it is a competitive derby, the derby should be registered. It's in the regulations.

fine, just for you I withdraw my offer. and maybe you can give a definition of a derby?

Reddin
04-13-2014, 10:51 PM
fine, just for you I withdraw my offer. and maybe you can give a definition of a derby?

I didn't make the regulations. Derby licensing is in the regulations.

huntsfurfish
04-13-2014, 10:58 PM
I didn't make the regulations. Derby licensing is in the regulations.

Which water body should we register(get CFE) for?:)

Reddin
04-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Which water body should we register(get CFE) for?:)

Maybe the derby has clemency on that regulation too.

rafhone
04-13-2014, 11:05 PM

RavYak posted this. it matches what I read in the regs.

RavYak
04-13-2014, 11:16 PM
http://mywildalberta.com/BuyLicences/FishingLicensesFees/CompetitiveFishingEvents/CompetitiveFishingEventsFAQ.aspx

http://mywildalberta.com/BuyLicences/FishingLicensesFees/documents/CFE-LicenceApplication-Nov2011.pdf

Not a chance at getting this tournament approved by SRD, they wouldn't even know how to handle it and would probably tell us it couldn't be done(because of length of tourney and amount of waterbodies).

waterninja
04-14-2014, 12:36 AM
looks to me like a reg white sucker, but for the tourney i'd call it a big nosed (or is that longnosed) sucker
redhorsre or silver redhorse suckers are more colorfull, esp. the tail. they are generraly more heavy bodied also.

WayneChristie
04-14-2014, 05:20 AM
looks to me like a reg white sucker, but for the tourney i'd call it a big nosed (or is that longnosed) sucker
redhorsre or silver redhorse suckers are more colorfull, esp. the tail. they are generraly more heavy bodied also.

longnosed have a long nose

Dale S
04-14-2014, 05:49 AM

When we started the ice fishing derby I sent 2 emails to the SRD. I explained what we were up to. I got no replies back from them. There are enough members here connected to the SRD, I'm sure we would hear from them if we were doing anything wrong. That's one of the reasons why we are not having any prizes. We're keeping this fun and free.

The Reel Deal
04-14-2014, 07:47 AM

I wish I had better pics. I thought I'd finally have some good pics since I had some friends helping. But I was wrong. Even had complaints about how many I asked him to take. All I want is 1 good one! Didn't get that out of 6 pics. :angry3:
Do everything myself next time.

So? Maybe the derby judges can chime in and let me know if I have an entry or not

Geezle
04-14-2014, 08:37 AM

Looks like a white sucker to me.

waterninja
04-14-2014, 08:52 AM
its not a silver redhorse their scales are much bigger. its a white or a mountain most likely, which is why we need an open sucker category some are hard to distinguish
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/Species%20and%20Habitats/Species%20Guide%20Index/Images/silverredhorse.jpg
x2 on on suckers for derby.

buckbrushoutdoors
04-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Why no sturgeon category? Only thing I fish for anymore.

Geezle
04-14-2014, 09:02 AM

:evilgrin:

Really though it's likely due to the lack of distribution throughout the province.

wags
04-14-2014, 09:28 AM

No sturgeon or bull trout due to protection of the species.

Cheers

WayneChristie
04-14-2014, 09:29 AM

same reason as no bull trout and you know why. plus theres no way you catch nothing but sturgeon. I catch pike walleye and other species on my sturgeon rigs

buckbrushoutdoors
04-14-2014, 10:05 AM
same reason as no bull trout and you know why. plus theres no way you catch nothing but sturgeon. I catch pike walleye and other species on my sturgeon rigs

Should have said target.

huntsfurfish
04-14-2014, 10:33 AM
http://mywildalberta.com/BuyLicences/FishingLicensesFees/CompetitiveFishingEvents/CompetitiveFishingEventsFAQ.aspx

http://mywildalberta.com/BuyLicences/FishingLicensesFees/documents/CFE-LicenceApplication-Nov2011.pdf

Not a chance at getting this tournament approved by SRD, they wouldn't even know how to handle it and would probably tell us it couldn't be done(because of length of tourney and amount of waterbodies).

Actually, would very likely be no problem at all. Tournaments and derby's are organized fishing events on a single water body. This is Province wide on all open fisheries(spreads pressure out). It will cause little to no concern. And to top that off it is non competitive.

RavYak
04-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Actually, would very likely be no problem at all. Tournaments and derby's are organized fishing events on a single water body. This is Province wide on all open fisheries(spreads pressure out). It will cause little to no concern. And to top that off it is non competitive.

They were talking about making it competitive by making awards. I highly doubt SRD would go for that. They would also try and impose rules like barbless only etc and you would legally be required to carry around a printout of tournament rules and other crap...

Just keep it simple with now awards. If a member at the end feels like sending a gift to another member then do it that way but we should theoretically not be making it known there are prizes.

RavYak
04-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Yeah I see the resemblance to a white sucker now. Suckers should definitely be only 1 category especially since the majority of us can't distinguish one from the other.

WayneChristie
04-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Should have said target.

same here. Ive caught a 25 pound pike and a 14 pound walleye while targeting sturgeon as well. :sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish
04-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Quote RavYak
"They were talking about making it competitive by making awards. I highly doubt SRD would go for that. They would also try and impose rules like barbless only etc and you would legally be required to carry around a printout of tournament rules and other crap...

Just keep it simple with now awards. If a member at the end feels like sending a gift to another member then do it that way but we should theoretically not be making it known there are prizes. "

What about Alberta Angler of the Year award(has cash award) in the fishing regs?

Same idea and this one has no cash award.:)

waterninja
04-14-2014, 11:31 AM
HFF raises a very good point about angler of the year awards. i'm all for what angler of the year does, but there is no getting around the fact that there are cash prizes involved.

rafhone
04-14-2014, 11:48 PM
congrats reel deal on some sort of sucker.

waterninja
04-15-2014, 12:45 PM
congrats to reel deel for posting first sucker in open water derby. with a big nose like that it has to qualify.

WayneChristie
04-15-2014, 12:57 PM
congrats to reel deel for posting first sucker in open water derby. with a big nose like that it has to qualify.

I met him last winter, its not "that" big :bad_boys_20:

wags
04-15-2014, 01:06 PM
i met him last winter, its not "that" big :bad_boys_20:

lol

The Reel Deal
04-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Thats ok. My wife says its big, so it has to be?!

WayneChristie
04-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Thats ok. My wife says its big, so it has to be?!

youve got a rare lady, most women dont like it when you stick your nose in their business!:bad_boys_20:

WayneChristie
04-28-2014, 06:41 PM
4 firsts for me today, first walleye 0f the season, first on the new glowstick, first on the new reel, and first sturgeon outing. as agreed I will only count the fish I catch on one rod so I will make it my spinning rig, since I usually use that and a baitcasting rig when Im tagging sturgeon. figures, 24 inch walter today on my first outing. didnt even know I could hunt dinos to tag starting April 1 til this afternoon so I got 3 cold hours in on the river at one of my top secret holes. On the baitcaster of course :sign0176:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/20140428_170422_zps981937b9.jpg
Oh and again organizational type people, since all but silver redhorse and shorthead redhorse seem to look so much the same can we have a category for those 2 then one for miscellaneous suckers?

and people know your sports fish, you toss a whitefish in the bushes you might end up with a fine

rafhone
04-28-2014, 06:47 PM
I use barbed hooks, so it takes me A LOT more time to get the hook out of the fishes mouth. I caught this whitefish a few days ago but have been hesitant to post it in the derby because I thought some people might complain about the fish's well being. Any thoughts?

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b507/rafhone/2014%20OW%20DERBY/135RMW_zps0675959b.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/rafhone/media/2014%20OW%20DERBY/135RMW_zps0675959b.jpg.html)

and decent eye Wayne, good way to start.

RavYak
04-28-2014, 06:54 PM
How did it taste? lol

rafhone
04-28-2014, 06:56 PM
I put it back for the next guy to enjoy.

WayneChristie
04-28-2014, 07:00 PM
looks ok to me!

The Reel Deal
05-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Beauty brown BG!

BeeGuy
05-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Beauty brown BG!

Thanks dude.

I got a bigger one but wasn't takin pics cause I didn't expect my ban to be over until hard water.

Still plenty of time to improve though.

Fishnafterwork
06-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Alright I'm in.... A week late but just read rules and printing off my form now.. Hope to have an entry by next weekend...

Shoulda read this before my daughter and I caught dozens of bigger goldeye and suckers.... I won't even mention my buddies 15# burbot :)