PDA

View Full Version : Hunting trips and safaris abroad

BrownTrout
03-31-2014, 08:36 PM
Just a random thought (have a lot of time during the day to have random thoughts, while working). Not looking for a negative turn but simple non argumentative answers.

When on hunting trips in different countries/continents, and hunting deer/goat types. Do the guys that do these types of hunts try the meat from the animals taken? I've never been on one and am curious.

I'm honestly asking a honest question that popped in my head today. Please keep responses positive.

wcbarker
03-31-2014, 08:50 PM
When I was in Africa they did cook up what we shot. Kudu, springbok, Gemsbok, Impala, warthog. they were all good and had awsome flavour. I think it was the cook who knew what she was doing.

Cowtown guy
03-31-2014, 08:54 PM
I tried Bushbuck, Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog and a host of other stuff from a local biltong market.

The impala was the worst but was still delicious. The bushbuck tenderloin was to die for.

ditch donkey
03-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Absolutely. I ate meat from my impala, gemsbok, and giraffe. We ate as much as we could, the rest was sold.

Torkdiesel
03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
We ate everything but my lion and croc when I've hunted in Africa. I had impala back straps that were fantastic and Cape Buffalo stew with dumblings were great. I think one of the best meat I tried was Eland, real tasty stuff.

Jamie
03-31-2014, 09:39 PM
Getting it home can be a challenge just here in North Anerica.
But possible. We brought home Antelope sausage from Wyoming. I saw Caribou brought home from the NWT. I didn't have to bring my Brown Bear home.

I can't imagine bring home anything from Africa. But I would like to try it in camp.

Jamie

BrownTrout
03-31-2014, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, they are much appreciated.

BigJon
03-31-2014, 11:03 PM
I ate some tahr in NZ. It tasted good but was pretty chewy.

calgarychef
04-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Of course the meat gets eaten, what did you think?

BigJon
04-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Of course the meat gets eaten, what did you think?

In some places there is no legal obligation to salvage meat from hunted animals.

So, it's a pretty fair question he had.

Bobby B.
04-01-2014, 09:57 AM
On both my hunts in Namibia, most meals consisted of game shot either by previous hunters or by ourselves. The rule is the horns and hide belong to the hunter who killed the animal and the meat belongs to the outfitter/lodge/ranch.

Baboon testicles are surprisingly tender and delicious. Ditto for the spizzle on a old eland bull.

Bobby B.