PDA

View Full Version : My battle with my 20+ pound tarpon video

Sundancefisher
03-31-2014, 09:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhJyDtq1jI

It was a fight like none other. Pretty awesome.

tight line
03-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Awesome posts man! So what was your catch ratio like? I lost a lot to the mangroves in the DR, but was shore fishing! Love the strength of Tarpon, these videos are making me drool!!!

Wild&Free
04-01-2014, 02:45 AM
beauty, definitely a bucket list fish for me. The manatee was a nice addition too.

Sundancefisher
04-01-2014, 06:16 AM
beauty, definitely a bucket list fish for me. The manatee was a nice addition too.

Thanks

Sundancefisher
04-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Awesome posts man! So what was your catch ratio like? I lost a lot to the mangroves in the DR, but was shore fishing! Love the strength of Tarpon, these videos are making me drool!!!

This time... Bites on about 30 casts. Multiple bites upon retrieve. Jumped 20, landed 15.

First time was jumped 7 landed 1.

It is a learning experience. If you hook set a trout like you hook set a tarpon you would rip it in half.

ALBTUFF
04-01-2014, 07:31 AM
This time... Bites on about 30 casts. Multiple bites upon retrieve. Jumped 20, landed 15.

First time was jumped 7 landed 1.

It is a learning experience. If you hook set a trout like you hook set a tarpon you would rip it in half.

Yep the shear power of a silver king is incredible. Took me a few tries before the guide said "hey we are fishing tarpon here not trout" lol then he showed me the way to set a hook on a tarpon.

Sundancefisher
04-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Yep the shear power of a silver king is incredible. Took me a few tries before the guide said "hey we are fishing tarpon here not trout" lol then he showed me the way to set a hook on a tarpon.

A hard trout strike will lose 100% of the tarpon. Their mouths are like solid bone.

ALBTUFF
04-01-2014, 02:38 PM
SD fisher. What kind of water were you fishing. Back channels, lagoons, flats. I'll be going to Cuba in 2015 I might have to hit you up for some tips.

I have to say I can not compare any other fish to a tarpon, most unbelievable fight ever. When I hooked in to my first 100# and it did it's first jump the other boats in the area started cheering. It's a moment I will never forget.

Trout Addict
04-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Very nicely done!

Curious was that a 10wt fly rod?

Sundancefisher
04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Very nicely done!

Curious was that a 10wt fly rod?

Used a 10 weight last year. Had it as a back up. Used my 11 weight. Even a small tarpon can bend it over double.

Sundancefisher
04-01-2014, 04:16 PM
SD fisher. What kind of water were you fishing. Back channels, lagoons, flats. I'll be going to Cuba in 2015 I might have to hit you up for some tips.

I have to say I can not compare any other fish to a tarpon, most unbelievable fight ever. When I hooked in to my first 100# and it did it's first jump the other boats in the area started cheering. It's a moment I will never forget.

Flats fishing for bones is different than boca fishing for tarpon is different that main river for tarpon is different than the side tribs for tarpon.

I will share every bit of info I have. All it will cost you is some photos to look at upon your return.