PDA

View Full Version : Wee beastie found

Whiskey Wish
03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Further to my post the other day with the wee beastie tracks in the snow our game camera caught him over the weekend.

This is about 176 yards from our house...give or take an inch or two.

That is a dead coyote in the snow in front of him courtesy of my daughter's .223 a few days previous to our new guest's appearance.
Regards,
Dave.

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Yikes....ain't nothing "wee" about that guy....thanks for posting!

LC

IR_mike
03-31-2014, 10:46 PM
Further to my post the other day with the wee beastie tracks in the snow our game camera caught him over the weekend.

This is about 176 yards from our house...give or take an inch or two.

That is a dead coyote in the snow in front of him courtesy of my daughter's .223 a few days previous to our new guest's appearance.
Regards,
Dave.

Might have to get her a bigger gun.

brownbomber
03-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Wow, you have a idea it was around? Or it was a surprise?
That's pretty crazy if it's new to the area. What part of the province are you in?

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
03-31-2014, 10:49 PM
Great stuff. That's a beautiful, big, Bear!

With the title of "wee beastie" I was expecting a Squirrel...

:)

SteveY66
03-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Wow that's a big bear. Grizzly?

Just curious where in Alberta? That looks like different habitat

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2014, 11:07 PM
Wow that's a big bear. Grizzly?

Just curious where in Alberta? That looks like different habitat

Within 2.5hours of Edmonton.

LC

SteveY66
03-31-2014, 11:13 PM
I'd guess Edson area. Don't hear of many north as far as I can remember.

Can you tell of sow or boar?

Looks huge so I'd say boar

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2014, 11:16 PM
I'd guess Edson area. Don't hear of many north as far as I can remember.

Can you tell of sow or boar?

Looks huge so I'd say boar

Quite a few Grizz up by Swan Hills and further......

LC

dale7637
03-31-2014, 11:25 PM

LC

Lots of grizz nw of manning down the Chinchaga.

densa44
04-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Is he close to your house?

buckbrushoutdoors
04-01-2014, 08:03 AM
I've posted to grizz from around Daves from this summer. This is east of Edson. I've seen more grizz than big whitetail bucks hahaha cool pics thanks for sharing.

north american hunter
04-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Weirdest looking colour phase black bear I have ever seen. :thinking-006:

I heard a grizz was spotted in athabasca county last year chasing cattle.

pdfish
04-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Great pic! I'm guessing you'll be packing the next time you check that camera.

Big Racks
04-01-2014, 08:40 AM

LC

Saw a sow and cubs not far off the haul road between Blue Ridge and Virginia Hills area 2 years ago. Have seen tracks up in Virginia Hills as well, although still not a regular occurence. Sure are lots more wolves though.

Whiskey Wish
04-01-2014, 09:42 AM
As per my post a few days ago titled "What kind of wee beastie made these tracks" I knew he was close since last Friday.

As I have no experience with bears tracks in the snow I posted the pictures here hoping more experienced people would confirm/deny what I thought I was looking at in the pictures. Unfortunately snow pictures aren't the best. I did talk to an old time trapper in my area and he went and looked at the tracks and confirmed they were from an average size boar grizzly.

A few days later we checked our cameras and found the pictures. We have not walked anywhere without a firearm around here for many years as we have an abundance of prey and predator animals and our neighbours on each side of us have lost pets to coyotes in broad daylight while watching helplessly. But we want to do our level best to avoid any confrontation and any shooting so we are conducting ourselves accordingly.

The pictures are taken about 176 yards from our house. As cool as it is having "Orville" as a guest I am concerned because we are basically the last eastern edge of the Rocky Mountain foothills. If he chooses to go any further east he will, in all likelyhood, get himself into trouble on a farm and end up dead.

I have made a report to the local Fish and Wildlife.
Regards,
Dave.

fallen1817
04-01-2014, 11:04 AM
That would make me a little nervous, being so close to the house...

They're endangered, don't ya know...

;)

Nice bear!

cacty
04-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Beautiful animal.

hayseed
04-01-2014, 02:49 PM
That would make me a little more on edge knowing he's hanging around the house....

Nice pics though...

Bassett
04-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Weirdest looking colour phase black bear I have ever seen. :thinking-006:

I heard a grizz was spotted in athabasca county last year chasing cattle.

Im out every weekend up that way and I haven't see a grizz yet, but many locals say theres a few kickin around.

Git r Done
04-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Seen one by my place, only 45 minutes west of Edmonton. Also shot a wolf about 2kms away from where I seen the bear.

H380
04-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Nice pics , but they've gotta be old , cause that kind of bears are virtually extinct .:sHa_sarcasticlol: Thanx for posting and take care .:)

Gboe8
04-01-2014, 03:44 PM
I hunt 45 km west of Edmonton and my godfather got a picture of a grizzly walking down a lease road a few years back. Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Corpus
04-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Looks friendly enough. Call 'em Bob.

Bob the man eater, nice ring to it.

stemorholake
04-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Nice pics, hopefully he will head in the right direcion

Nait Hadya
04-01-2014, 08:58 PM
feed it.....feed your grizzly! :)

hayseed
04-01-2014, 09:14 PM
feed it.....feed your grizzly! :)

Lol....

Cottus
04-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Funny lookin' black bear. Weird, prominent hump, too... ;-)

Nice pics!

sage 13
04-02-2014, 09:36 PM
As per my post a few days ago titled "What kind of wee beastie made these tracks" I knew he was close since last Friday.

As I have no experience with bears tracks in the snow I posted the pictures here hoping more experienced people would confirm/deny what I thought I was looking at in the pictures. Unfortunately snow pictures aren't the best. I did talk to an old time trapper in my area and he went and looked at the tracks and confirmed they were from an average size boar grizzly.

A few days later we checked our cameras and found the pictures. We have not walked anywhere without a firearm around here for many years as we have an abundance of prey and predator animals and our neighbours on each side of us have lost pets to coyotes in broad daylight while watching helplessly. But we want to do our level best to avoid any confrontation and any shooting so we are conducting ourselves accordingly.

The pictures are taken about 176 yards from our house. As cool as it is having "Orville" as a guest I am concerned because we are basically the last eastern edge of the Rocky Mountain foothills. If he chooses to go any further east he will, in all likelyhood, get himself into trouble on a farm and end up dead.

I have made a report to the local Fish and Wildlife.
Regards,
Dave.

If you want to do your level best to avoid any confrontation as you say then you should maybe not be leaving carcasses laying around that attract other animals.

Whiskey Wish
04-02-2014, 09:50 PM
If you want to do your level best to avoid any confrontation as you say then you should maybe not be leaving carcasses laying around that attract other animals.

Thanks for that Captain Obvious. Shall I tell you a little story about loose horses and barn doors?
Regards,
Dave.

Smokinyotes
04-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Very cool, not often you get a pic like that right in broad daylight. Do have any livestock close by??

Mudzbogger
04-03-2014, 01:02 AM
Very nice pic... Too bad he's coming close to the homestead hopefully he heads back to where he belongs otherwise he may end up another statistic.

On the other hand its nice to see more pics of them out and about showing that they in fact exist and can recover if managed properly.

buglebull
04-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Managed properly? . . . . . . there has never been a shortage of grizz to begin with in this province. There should still be a draw and season to hunt the beast. Politicians caving to the anti bear hunting campaign and propaganda.

sage 13
04-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Thanks for that Captain Obvious. Shall I tell you a little story about loose horses and barn doors?
Regards,
Dave.

If you want to tell another story go ahead.

leo
04-03-2014, 10:34 AM
That's a good size Grizz in anyone's eyes, nice pictures too. My guess is he'll be lookin for a black bear to roust out of the den to snack on. Probably already moved on.
LM.

bergman
04-04-2014, 09:10 AM
That's the biggest wolverine I've ever seen!:thinking-006:

But seriously, the prairies are the the grizz's natural habitat - Edmonton river valley was prime grizzly land, with lots of sightings back in the fur trapping days. It was just folks with guns that keep'em away. Like I say - good habitat will get filled! Same thing is happening down east of Waterton.

I've heard of a few guys getting pushed of their animals by grizzlies in Kananaskis. I always walk a little softly out in the mountains - now it looks like I can't rule out a bear pushing me off a tagged deer when I'm out in farm country too. :scared0015:

Gbuss
04-04-2014, 01:06 PM
I think you need to keep him around. Get fish and feather to put up a high fence bring in a female for breeding and repopulate the grizzlies in alberta. That has to be last of its kind here. :scared0018:

Gordon

NativeHunter
04-04-2014, 05:35 PM
natives can still shoot grizzlys

Cowtown guy
04-04-2014, 05:52 PM

Hardly trolling for a response there.

Matt L.
04-05-2014, 08:01 AM

But they have too much respect and reverance for the great bear to do so right?

jacked
04-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Seen a few up close last year south of GP. A friend seen one this year just south of the Wapiti River and I have seen tracks towards GC already this year.