PDA

View Full Version : New license does not show expiry?

Iwantsfish
04-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Just curious why it was taken out? Seems like that might generate some questions for those new to the hobby and potentially a bunch of disputes for forgotten renewals.

EZM
04-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Funny you should mention that, a few of us forum members were recently at a lake when a CO came around doing his patrol ( checking licenses, etc...) and he had mentioned the same thing.

His comment was "it might be tough to uphold charges for fishing without a license if there is no expiry date".

Seems like an oooooopppps to me .....

WayneChristie
04-01-2014, 03:39 PM
printed mine from Realm last night, states it expires 2015 march 31

dmcbride
04-01-2014, 04:03 PM
I thought they all expired on March 31st every year.

bwackwabbit
04-01-2014, 05:10 PM
printed mine from Realm last night, states it expires 2015 march 31

Just did mine 5 mins ago and I got the same.

-JR-
04-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Wish it was like a Sask. Licence . Expires one year from when you bought it.
Not sure if its still like that there ...any one know ?

Teamprotz
04-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Sask never did expire 1 year from purchase date. Always at season end Mar 31.

czar
04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
No expiry date on mine (I did it the day it went live).

Saying that though, there's a huge "2014/2015" at the top of the license though.

Lornce
04-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Doesn't really matter if the expiry is on the license. Its in the regulations that you are to read and know. I'm sure someone will challenge it.

mudbug
04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Got my new licence at Canadian Tire yesterday and it shows the expiry date :)

alacringa
04-02-2014, 05:17 PM
No expiry date on mine (I did it the day it went live).

Saying that though, there's a huge "2014/2015" at the top of the license though.

Same here. And fishing licenses always expire on Mar 31; although I just checked, and it doesn't seem to be in the regs (though I just did a quick search of the online regs).

Davey Boy
04-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Fishing licenses have always expired March 31 of each year for as long as I can remember. Now Win cards have a specific expiry. 5years from purchase date.

the local angler
04-02-2014, 07:28 PM
just got my fishing licence and i am very glad to see its on regular paper now instead of that thermo paper. the one thing i always forget is the new regulations dammit. mine does have the expiry date too.

WayneChristie
04-02-2014, 07:32 PM
just got my fishing licence and i am very glad to see its on regular paper now instead of that thermo paper. the one thing i always forget is the new regulations dammit. mine does have the expiry date too.

you can get them online with your smartphone too, very handy instead of losing your paper copy or forgetting it at home

Rikkles Fisher
04-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Did anyone else get their license just printed on regular paper at Canadian tire? I thought that was odd but still better then the receipt paper they usually print it on lol

Just noticed above someone else had that happen too my bad lol

fish99
04-04-2014, 10:08 AM
I have left over walleye tags for pigeon lake , no expire date on tag , it says check regs for dates, I cannot find an expire date in the regs for tags. any help.

gurumuka
04-04-2014, 10:50 AM
G'day WayneChristie
Wondering how you got your licence saved on to your smart phone?
Thanks

kinwahkly
04-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Just printed mine off the website and it does have an expiry date, are you allowed to laminate the paper licence from the web site?

Habfan
04-07-2014, 07:47 AM
G'day WayneChristie
Thanks

X2:) but then I'd probably drop my phone in the water producing my lisence.

Lefty-Canuck
04-07-2014, 07:50 AM
X2:)

Open it up to the license page and take a screen capture.....or print one off sign it and take a picture.

LC

Geezle
04-07-2014, 08:28 AM
G'day WayneChristie
Thanks

I'm pretty sure that Wayne is talking about getting a copy of the regs on your phone, not your license :)

WayneChristie
04-07-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure that Wayne is talking about getting a copy of the regs on your phone, not your license :)

Perzactly. Did take a pic of my license too dont know if it would count but have 10 paper copies anyways plus 98% of the time Im fishing on my research license anyways

bergman
04-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Perzactly. Did take a pic of my license too dont know if it would count but have 10 paper copies anyways plus 98% of the time Im fishing on my research license anyways

The guys at the fishing shop around here said the CO's told them you need to have a hard copy. A photo/scan on the phone doesn't cut it. They did say that you can laminate it, shrink it down, etc, as long as you have a hard copy on you. I'm guessing they are trying to avoid the "I really do have a license, but my phone battery is dead, officer!" situation.
But... a back up on the phone might get you out if you are a smooth talker, I guess...

Lornce
04-07-2014, 12:29 PM
The CO I talked to last fall said the same thing. You need a hard copy, an electronic copy will not do.

hl649
04-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Wouldn't hold up in court. An electronic copy is legal unless it specifically States in the regs that a hard copy must be carried.

JohninAB
04-07-2014, 02:55 PM
States right on the license it must be carried while fishing. Think that would hold some weight in court if pursued but I am not a lawyer so stand to be corrected by such.

Lornce
04-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Why go through the grief and not carry a hard copy?

Lefty-Canuck
04-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Keep in mind if you choose to only use an electronic copy stored on your phone....your entire phone can be taken as evidence.

Thats why if you take pictures at an accident scene etc with your phone or camera...transfer them to a media (memoery stick, SD card) before offering them as evidence...they will want to keep the pics until trial.

LC

Pixel Shooter
04-08-2014, 08:57 AM
my buddy while out fishing in Cold Lake last year lost a bunch of stuff in the flood down south including his truck/wallet. emptied it to let everthing dry out and as one would know it, his fishing licence never made it back in his wallet to his disbelief in front of CO. he also had an old cell phone, hilarious to try and watch him text. short story, logged into Alberta Realm with CO watching me and was able to produce his proof online. He suggested doing a snap shot and keeping it in photo album on phone to make it easier next time. and off he went. he said that was more than sufficient proof he was legally licenced to fish. not sure if that was due to that particular CO or these days this is acceptable. have to say I do both just to cover my boat. including copy of my boat registration. Camscanner is a great tool for your phone.
States right on the license it must be carried while fishing. Think that would hold some weight in court if pursued but I am not a lawyer so stand to be corrected by such.

CK Angler
04-08-2014, 04:06 PM
On two separate occasions I've been out and checked where I or a friend didn't have our license on us, both occasions the officer radio'd in our information to confirm we had licenses and both times no ticket was issued.

If you get fined for not having your license on you are you not given a time period to produce your license to get out of the ticket? I thought you were given 48 hours or something, the licences do have an issue date, anybody know?

Lefty-Canuck
04-08-2014, 04:10 PM
On two separate occasions I've been out and checked where I or a friend didn't have our license on us, both occasions the officer radio'd in our information to confirm we had licenses and both times no ticket was issued.

If you get fined for not having your license on you are you not given a time period to produce your license to get out of the ticket? I thought you were given 48 hours or something, the licences do have an issue date, anybody know?

Officer discretion ...not a given. Hope you get a good one having a good day.

LC

huntsfurfish
04-10-2014, 09:30 AM
If u don't have expiry date on your license and want it on, just do a reprint(from relm). It will have the expiry date on it.:)