PDA

View Full Version : Cooking wild turkey

roar
04-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Last fall went down to wyoming and got a wild turkey. Trying to make turkey soup and the recipe is calling for cooked turkey breast. Any suggestions on how to cook the turkey breast so that it is not dry. Used some in a turkey pot pie and I baked it in the oven with seasoning but it was very dry....thanks

buck
04-01-2014, 08:25 PM
U could try covering it in bacon and using a bit
more water and not cooking quite as long
I have skinned them out and my wife covers them
in bacon they stay moist and tender this way

gunnar
04-04-2014, 02:30 AM
Cook it in the slow cooker in a couple of cans of chicken stock. Just did one last week and it was yummy. We then put some into a butter chicken recipe.

PartTimeHunter
04-04-2014, 04:16 AM
*sigh* read the title wrong - these early mornings are getting to me. Thought it said cooking with wild turkey. :( Can hardly wait till breakup is done

flyguyd
04-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Slight derail here because ive never wasted one in soup...Lol
slice the breast into about 1/2 in or 5/8 strips, sprinkle with flour on both sides and beat with a meat mallet into a schnitzel . Lightly season with your favorite seasoning and fry in olive oil. Yummy turkey minite steaks.

You can thank me later..... LOL

thumper
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
x2 on the slow-cooker approach. We tried roasting one once and found it to be like chewing turkey-flavoured gum - only drier!

2 Tollers
04-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Last year's I did one breast as a marinated brine for 3 days then in the smoker low temp and slow, the other was brined for 24hrs and then BBQ. Both were excellent but personnally I like the one from the smoker better especially after a left over piece was allowed to cool in the fridge and thin sliced for sandwiches.

Popik
04-04-2014, 04:04 PM
I would recommend a brine for all poultry. A Brined then smoked turkey is a thing of beauty.