PDA

View Full Version : fishing kakwa

emigh64
04-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to plan a fishing trip in July. I'm new to nothern Alberta and would really like to catch some grayling. I was thinking about starting off at where the kakwa river flows in the the Smokey north of grand cache. If that doesn't work I was planning on working my way up the kakwa until I found some nice holes. Has anyone fished the kakwa/smokey intersection recently? And could anyone point me and the direction of some good holes on the kakwa. I'm planning on bringing both fly rod and casting but id mainly be interested in using the fly rod.

Hoopi
04-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Hi; I have floated it twice in the fall. From the confluence of chicken creek to highway 40. it took 5 days, lots of grayling, lots of bulls.

you must float in fall, otherwise the river whitewater class is too dangerous to float. IE too much white water. Class 5 in places.

Hoopi

WillyOneStyle
04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I have fished the Kakwa only once, but it was one of the most beautiful rivers I've ever had a chance to walk and wade. I was living in Grande Prairie at the time so I probably got off highway 40 at the day use area near that bridge. I remember lots of bear sign. I did catch grayling, however, did not hook into the giant bulls I had heard so much about. Either way, in my opinion, the Kakwa is one of Alberta's finest fishing rivers. Have a great trip.

dfrobert
04-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Beautiful river, lots of nice grayling, also some monster bulls to be had in some of the more hard to reach areas. I would plan on fishing it late summer/early fall as mentioned earlier.

Also, some of the highest Grizzly bear numbers in the province throughout this area. Be prepared for bears.

Iceman4
04-03-2014, 07:58 AM
The only place I've fished the Kakwa is at the bridge on HWY 40, didn't take long and we were into grayling. Another river I've heard great things about is the Little Smoky in the fall, apparently 100+ grayling days can be had.

emigh64
04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Any idea where to go in July then for some good grayling fishing. I'll save this trip for September.

50/50
04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
One of my favorite ( accessible) places is the Kakisa river NWT.Campground is right there, easy to get to , kids like the falls , and good grayling,

You can walk down river from the falls , or up/ down river from the road(boat launch).

Absolute best grayling fishing i've seen is the outlet of Great slave lake into the Mackenzie river. You need a boat to get there but the Kakisa flows into that area of the lake.

It would be a 9 ? hour drive north of GP.