PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with Alberta relm/draw system

Kevlak
04-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Hey all,

Really disappointed with Alberta relm and draw system. Looking at my current priority for antlered moose (draw code 33) in zone 310, which is priority 10, p9 last season and then looking at the 2013 draw summary report. I noticed that all priority 10/9 people were drawn and 5 with p8 status drawn, but I wasn't drawn at all. Something really needs to change with this system, I should have been drawn in 2012 or 2013. I guess I just don't understand the system, does any one have any incite on this situation?

Kevin

hal53
04-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Hey all,

Really disappointed with Alberta relm and draw system. Looking at my current priority for antlered moose (draw code 33) in zone 310, which is priority 10, p9 last season and then looking at the 2013 draw summary report. I noticed that all priority 10/9 people were drawn and 5 with p8 status drawn, but I wasn't drawn at all. Something really needs to change with this system, I should have been drawn in 2012 or 2013. I guess I just don't understand the system, does any one have any incite on this situation?

Kevin
are you applying by yourself only?

Kevlak
04-02-2014, 05:50 PM
are you applying by yourself only?

Yes I am, not as a group

Lefty-Canuck
04-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Yes I am, not as a group

You didn't 999 the draw code?

LC

Kevlak
04-02-2014, 06:21 PM
You didn't 999 the draw code?

LC

No I didn't 999 the draw, I put in 310 for the first, 308 for the second, and 304 for the third, I 999 my cow elk and my mule buck but was drawn for my mule doe in zone 310.

Kevin

Pudelpointer
04-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Chances are you messed up somewhere along the line.

I say that with sincerity and sympathy.

2012 I was sure there was a problem with the "system". I had put in for a P4 zone for Antlerred MD with a buddy from BC. I had P7 and he had P6. Slam dunk.... nope!

Turns out the year before he had renewed his WIN, but the clerk had sold him a new WIN instead of renewal. So he had P0. I noticed before 2013 draw and he got it sorted out.

The "system" worked fine, but there was a screw up along the way. Might take some digging, but take a look at your draw history when they get the details back up and you will probably find the problem.

Just saw the above: 304 is 14+ years priority; why would you put it as 3rd choice?

Kevlak
04-02-2014, 08:01 PM
I didn't mess up, I've been putting draws in for 20 years, there was no mistype. This year being a p10 I should be able to get this draw in 310. The reason for putting it into 304 is because I really only hunt those 3 zones, the only other I hunt in is 305 and they don't have a draw for that zone for moose. Been hunting these zones since I was 15. I just know the land so well, that I don't want to change where I hunt. I have very good repore with some of the land owners in these areas. I'm not mad at the situation or any of you, nor the other hunters in these zones that got drawn, I'm disappointed that I was drawn when I have the right priority to get drawn is all. Wouldn't you be if you've been waiting a decade to get a draw you really wanted?

I only found this out this evening as today was the first time I seen the 2013 draw summary report. I think I just needed to vent and since my wife don't care, I was hoping some of you would lol.

Kevin

Pudelpointer
04-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Unlike your wife, we do care. :)

Every draw season there are dozens upon dozens of "the draw system screwed me!" stories, and every single one ultimately appears to be caused by some user error.

What I am saying is: somewhere, somehow, things got messed up. When I looked at my draw results last year I was surprised to see that my results for non-trophy antelope, yew sheep, and Mtn goat were.... not applied for!

Somehow the application never processed. :angry3: I was a little PO'd. However, I never went back into the system after completing all my applications to make sure I had successfully applied. I could say the system is broken, or I could admit that I didn't do my due diligence.

southunter
04-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Kevlak, perhaps if you went into your local F&W office they could look into it. I agree with the other guys there must be a reason for the mix up. Better to find out what it is then miss out on another season's draw.

bowzonebucks
04-02-2014, 09:19 PM
funny you mention that.
I was just looking over the draws summary report from 2013 for archery antelope and noticed that in draw code 803 100% of the applicants with a priority 7 were drawn but only 83.33% of the applicants with priority 8 were drawn.

Is that because someone with a priority 8 applied with someone of a lower priority?

http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/HuntingDraws/HuntingDrawsReports/DrawsSummaryReport/documents/HuntingArchives/2013/Hunting-AntelopeArchery-DrawCode10-2013.pdf

Lefty-Canuck
04-02-2014, 09:43 PM
funny you mention that.
I was just looking over the draws summary report from 2013 for archery antelope and noticed that in draw code 803 100% of the applicants with a priority 7 were drawn but only 83.33% of the applicants with priority 8 were drawn.

Is that because someone with a priority 8 applied with someone of a lower priority?

http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/HuntingDraws/HuntingDrawsReports/DrawsSummaryReport/documents/HuntingArchives/2013/Hunting-AntelopeArchery-DrawCode10-2013.pdf

Perhaps someone who applied was disqualified from the draw process?

LC

elkhunter11
04-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Were you a P9 before or after the 2013 draw?

Kevlak
04-03-2014, 05:12 AM
Were you a P9 before or after the 2013 draw?

According to my records I was P9 going into the draw, this year I will be P10.

elkhunter11
04-03-2014, 05:31 AM
According to my records I was P9 going into the draw, this year I will be P10.

Your records, or the priority that was actually listed in the system? A difference of one point, would explain this.

roger
04-03-2014, 06:42 AM
id like to be able to purchase 4 or 6 years worth of (say antlered mulie) draws applications at one time, it would automatically revert to 999 every year, but if I decide to try hunt that year, I log in and change the wmu to my choice.
and be able to do it on from January 1 to the draw cutoff date for that species or upcoming season would help too.
or at least be able to pre-apply for the same number of seasons that your WIN card is valid for.
I can forsee this helping with these types of concerns.

super7mag
04-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Yeah pretty much the rest of North America has their draw system in place for feb- April . Like BC s's was out a month ago. Waiting till June is stupid but it is what it is. I'm not sure how these guys figure they are saving the world from imploding by going away from paper, I liked when a draw book showed up in the mail with your last years application s in the inside cover. It was simple , easy to see what you applied for and sure your priority is sitting. I guess for the tech savvy on line may be better but I find it a PIA.

Kevlak
04-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Your records, or the priority that was actually listed in the system? A difference of one point, would explain this.

When the new site shows us our priorities again I will post pictures

Kevlak
04-03-2014, 09:03 AM
I just want to say that I'm not mad at the situation. It's that fact of putting all the time in waiting and now that I've gotten to the priority to be selected and not be drawn, it's very disappointing and disheartening is what I'm getting at.

Torkdiesel
04-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Just remember that when you apply as a priority 9 and then you ARE NOT SUCCESSFUL you will be a priority 10 for the next seasons draw. You do not get the priority increase until after the unsuccessful draw. I've seen and heard of this numerous times where guys didn't get their draws.

Couleestalker
04-03-2014, 10:39 AM
funny you mention that.

The anomaly in the Antelope draw is due to the fact that you can apply for all three antelope hunts. The people not drawn with a p8 in the archery season were probably drawn in the trophy season therefore their archery application is null but a priority point is gained.

If you put in for all three antelope seasons they will first draw the Trophy, then Archery then Non-Trophy.

bowzonebucks
04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
The anomaly in the Antelope draw is due to the fact that you can apply for all three antelope hunts. The people not drawn with a p8 in the archery season were probably drawn in the trophy season therefore their archery application is null but a priority point is gained.

If you put in for all three antelope seasons they will first draw the Trophy, then Archery then Non-Trophy.

I definitely did not know that, thanks for letting me know

The Spruce
04-04-2014, 04:48 PM

I wish the same would apply for Elk and Moose draws. Would be nice to put in for Bulls and Cow/Calves every year. My op anyways.

Spruce

Lefty-Canuck
04-04-2014, 04:50 PM
I wish the same would apply for Elk and Moose draws. Would be nice to put in for Bulls and Cow/Calves every year. My op anyways.

Spruce

Wait times would increase....

LC