PDA

View Full Version : New Tool for Hunting?

Speckle55
04-02-2014, 09:31 PM
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/colorado-mulls-banning-drones-for-hunting-game

you new this was coming ..

the next step in tools for hunting

but is it fair chase

David:)

catnthehat
04-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't drones be classed as aircraft, manned or not??:confused:
Cat

Pudelpointer
04-02-2014, 09:45 PM
As the government dude stated: already illegal. So what's the point? Now it will be EXTRA illegal?

Big Bull
04-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Alaska recently changed their regulations to make hunting with drones illegal.
http://rt.com/usa/alaska-drone-hunting-ban-489/

Under Alberta's current regulations, I don't think using a UAV for hunting would be illegal. ASRD should definately be looking at this and preparing for changes to the regulations, because you know it is going to happen. They certainly could be useful for scouting!

Big Bull
04-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't drones be classed as aircraft, manned or not??:confused:
Cat

Transport Canada considers them UAV's or "model aircraft", depending on their intented use. By their definition, my multi rotor duadcopter UAV is a "model aircraft".

Definition of Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV)

Section 101.01 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) states, "Unmanned Air Vehicle" means a power driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is operated without a flight crew member on board.

Unmanned air vehicles have been given many names, but are most commonly referred to as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), unmanned air vehicles, remotely operated aircraft or remotely piloted vehicles. Unmanned air vehicles may take the form of airships, aeroplanes or rotorcraft. Basically, they could be considered to be any unmanned aircraft that performs a useful mission and can be remotely controlled or has autonomous flight capability.

How unmanned air vehicles are different from model aircraft

"Model aircraft" means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures. Although some micro unmanned air vehicles may weigh less than 35 kg, they are operated by research institutions and other organizations for non-recreational purposes.

Cat, I'm not sure of the definition of "aircraft" in Alberta's Wildlife Act. I'm looking for it right now.

ACKLEY ABE
04-03-2014, 06:31 AM
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/colorado-mulls-banning-drones-for-hunting-game

you new this was coming ..

the next step in tools for hunting

but is it fair chase

David:)

Not even close.... If they need drones, why don't they just get someone to go out and do their hunting for them......but then again I don't think baiting is fair chase either so who am I to say....

AB RANGER 007
04-03-2014, 09:47 AM
:thinking-006: If someone is goin to "hunt" DRONES/UAV'S. :sign0161: They better able to identify them first. Someone might be looking for :bad_boys_20:.

Bruce.

Dog hunter
04-04-2014, 05:11 PM
:fighting0007:If they allow drones for hunting i will start hunting drones

Au revoir, Gopher
04-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Not even close.... If they need drones, why don't they just get someone to go out and do their hunting for them......but then again I don't think baiting is fair chase either so who am I to say....

There is always this option

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/mike-schoby/2007/09/remote-control-hunting

ARG

CLB
04-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I really want one of these things but definitely not for hunting. They are amazing for taking some awesome photos and video from a perspective you don't see very often.

Au revoir, Gopher
04-04-2014, 07:41 PM
I really want one of these things but definitely not for hunting. They are amazing for taking some awesome photos and video from a perspective you don't see very often.

Keep that thing away from the neighbor's bedroom window! :)

ARG

Gbuss
04-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Keep that thing away from the neighbor's bedroom window! :)

ARG

Is it for your eyes only :scared0018:

3blade
04-05-2014, 01:05 PM
This is the the fourth or fifth thread on drones and hunting.

"General

3. Hunt any wildlife with or from an aircraft, or communicate, for the purposes of hunting, the signs or whereabouts of wildlife seen during a flight on an aircraft."

DOES NOT specify manned or unmanned. Therefore illegal.

On another note, I have some old 12 g lead #2s sitting around..... :character0110:

Big Bull
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Judge 3blade, what is the definition of "aircraft" in the wildlife act? I couldn't find it.

...and shooting someone's property out of the sky is legal, in your opinion?

3blade
04-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Judge 3blade, what is the definition of "aircraft" in the wildlife act? I couldn't find it.

...and shooting someone's property out of the sky is legal, in your opinion?

Aircraft: man made device designed to fly. It may not be defined yet, but i doubt a judge would have difficulty with that one. Don't over complicate things.

.....Well that's an interesting question that our govt never took into account, and the Americans are dealing with currently. How much airspace does ones private property include? Pictures of private property? If a device appears to be used in commission of a crime, is it open season? How does one ID drones flying around?

Truthfully I don't know how that would play out, IF someone was caught blasting the stupid things.

But I do know what would happen if someone trespassed onto private property to retrieve one. And I do know that cameras and memory cards don't react well to high velocity projectiles, so good luck with your evidence collecting.

CLB
04-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Aircraft: man made device designed to fly. It may not be defined yet, but i doubt a judge would have difficulty with that one. Don't over complicate things.

.....Well that's an interesting question that our govt never took into account, and the Americans are dealing with currently. How much airspace does ones private property include? Pictures of private property? If a device appears to be used in commission of a crime, is it open season? How does one ID drones flying around?

Truthfully I don't know how that would play out, IF someone was caught blasting the stupid things.

But I do know what would happen if someone trespassed onto private property to retrieve one. And I do know that cameras and memory cards don't react well to high velocity projectiles, so good luck with your evidence collecting.

Well, I know what would happen if I was flying mine legally and someone shot it out of the air. Someone would be needing a surgical procedure to extract their firearm from a piece of their anatomy.

Junglefisher
04-06-2014, 09:02 AM

Plenty of them that stream the video / pictures to another device. That's pretty much the whole point.

3blade
04-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Well, I know what would happen if I was flying mine legally and someone shot it out of the air. Someone would be needing a surgical procedure to extract their firearm from a piece of their anatomy.

If you are flying it legally I doubt anyone would have the opportunity to shoot it. We're not talking about hobbyists or industrial uses. Were talking about illegal scouting/hunting/harassing wildlife. I'm actually very happy they can fly pipelines with them, makes detecting a spill much easier.

Don't use them inappropriately, and don't defend those who do. Or expect unpleasant consequences.

CLB
04-06-2014, 11:20 AM
If you are flying it legally I doubt anyone would have the opportunity to shoot it. We're not talking about hobbyists or industrial uses. Were talking about illegal scouting/hunting/harassing wildlife. I'm actually very happy they can fly pipelines with them, makes detecting a spill much easier.

Don't use them inappropriately, and don't defend those who do. Or expect unpleasant consequences.

And how are you going to be sure what the intended usage is when you see it? If I am flying over the coulees taking aerial video just simply for photography reasons are you going to think someone is scouting with it and shoot it down? I am not condoning using one for hunting or scouting but you better be damn sure you are right when you blast one from the sky.

3blade
04-06-2014, 01:31 PM
And how are you going to be sure what the intended usage is when you see it? If I am flying over the coulees taking aerial video just simply for photography reasons are you going to think someone is scouting with it and shoot it down? I am not condoning using one for hunting or scouting but you better be damn sure you are right when you blast one from the sky.

A fair point, and sort of what I said in post #15. Also similar problems as bait and trail cameras, hard to prove both user id and intent. I recognize the valuable intel they can provide for a variety of legal purposes. However if you utilize your UAV during hunting season, in active hunting areas, you accept the risk of the misunderstanding you stated above.

I could be bird watching in the city, but if I've got bino's or a spotting scope pointed at someone's house, regardless if there is a bird there is a high likelihood of a problem. Better to avoid those situations, cause the risk isnt worth the reward.

wasteland.soldier
04-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I have a cheap one ($150 or so from Amazon) that I use to get the lay of the land and find trails. It's battery life isn't great but I can get up high and take a bit of video before bringing it back down. I agree that finding game wouldn't be fair chase, but as far as finding routes through the bigger foothills I don't see it as different from Google Earth. Ultimately I am looking for routes for the purpose of hunting. But not for finding game.

EDIT: Transport Canada does define aircraft, and a small quadcopter flown up to (I believe it's) 150 feet while remaining in operator's line of sight (or LOS of a spotter communicating with operator) is not a drone or an aircraft. It's a hobbyists toy. That said, I definitely wouldn't condone using one to find game or sign. Safeway's a lot less expensive if you want meat that easy. But I'm just saying there may be a need for additional legislation to stop knuckleheads using them for nefarious purposes.

AB RANGER 007
04-09-2014, 11:22 AM
DJI released a new Quad Copter this week, DJI Phantom 2 Vision +. :sign0161: a New Camera with a new mounting system.

Bruce.