PDA

View Full Version : GPS units

nube
04-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Hey guys I will admit I am not a reck kind of guy and I hate units like a GPS because I am not good at learning new types of computer stuff. That being said I am interested in buying one. Here is basically what I am looking for and I am not sure if it is out there.
I plan on using it for trapping. Is there a unit out there that will have a satellite viewing kind of like the one you would see on Google maps and have it be able to pinpoint me on the map? I think then I would be able to scout the trails I see and also be able to mark an X where all my trap location spots will be. I would like to have a map where I can see all the type of forest and where the clear cuts are type of thing. Is there such a thing? If so what unit do you recommend?

AB RANGER 007
04-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Hey guys I will admit I am not a reck kind of guy and I hate units like a GPS because I am not good at learning new types of computer stuff. That being said I am interested in buying one. Here is basically what I am looking for and I am not sure if it is out there.
I plan on using it for trapping. Is there a unit out there that will have a satellite viewing kind of like the one you would see on Google maps and have it be able to pinpoint me on the map? I think then I would be able to scout the trails I see and also be able to mark an X where all my trap location spots will be. I would like to have a map where I can see all the type of forest and where the clear cuts are type of thing. Is there such a thing? If so what unit do you recommend?

:thinking-006: No LIVE SAT hand held GPS units at time. The newer Garmin GPS units can load custom maps inculding Google Earth, But if the area of your choice is in LOW RES it will not help you, (paid subsciption as well).The older Garmin GPS units uses MapSource Mapping Software (gdb formate), the newer Units use a Garmin Software program called Base Camp (gpx formate).
When you get your GPS unit and a mapping Software, ( computer Managing program and mapping), you will be able to make as many XXX as you want. If the Google Earth is in High Res and is fairly current , you will be able to transfer your Waypoints and Tracks from your computer mapping software to the Goggle Earth program and print it out, as well as having it in the GPS Unit.

Bruce.

mcreg
04-03-2014, 08:00 PM
NUBE: I have several older GPS units and just bought a new e-trex20 and loaded the Backroad maps into it. I have used the backraod maps booklet extensively and having it in a GPS is a dream> It shows all the cutlines/gas lines/well sites etc just as the paper maps do. The unit costs about $175 the software another $150. I think it is well worth it. Have more expensive units but they do the same!
You can have almost unlimited waypoints and geo-caches as well.
Worth a look at least?

Xiph0id
04-03-2014, 08:06 PM
NUBE: I have several older GPS units and just bought a new e-trex20 and loaded the Backroad maps into it. I have used the backraod maps booklet extensively and having it in a GPS is a dream> It shows all the cutlines/gas lines/well sites etc just as the paper maps do. The unit costs about $175 the software another $150. I think it is well worth it. Have more expensive units but they do the same!
You can have almost unlimited waypoints and geo-caches as well.
Worth a look at least?

Hey nube, I have this exact setup.
Looking to sell it. Just don't use it like I thought I would.
It's brand new. The basecamp graphics are pretty darn good.

Sorry to derail guys. Or even if this is allowed.

twofifty
04-03-2014, 08:37 PM
No derail, it's useful information.

I've used a borrowed e-trex 10 (my first time ever using a GPS) and it was very easy to set up and use to capture waypoints, and to obtain a position fix expressed as a MGR number which is easily plotted on a 1/50k topo map.

The E-trex line is compact, light (5oz), with push button controls which many prefer. Smaller screen (2.2" diameter) and lower rez (176x220 pixels) though compared to the touch-screen Oregon 600 line (7.4oz; 3" diameter; 240x400 pixels).

If you stick with the e-trex line, look at model 30. It has some features that the 20 and 10 don't have. For example, the 30 claims a sunlight readable screen, a 3-axis electronic compass, a barometric altimeter. These features may or may not be important to you, and are std features in the Oregon 600 line.

nube
04-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Great info guys thanks. I think it may be best to find a local Garmin distributer and talk to them. Anyone know a good place to look at one where the sales guy might actually know a few things?

Torkdiesel
04-03-2014, 10:52 PM
I used a GPS for years Nube and had the best of the best with all the computer software to back it up. Now I use Navionics on my IPhone. If you have service on your line, and if I remember correctly you do, there is nothing better. You can overlay with google earth and pinpoint all your trap locations. You can see your current location on google earth and track your route as well. The big issue is it doesn't work if you don't have cell service, but if you do it's the way to go.

30Cal
04-03-2014, 11:49 PM
GARMIN GPSMap 62s

You can purchase topographical maps for it that show you elevations, trails, small water holes, rivers...etc. Very accurate and uses multiple satellites to pin point your location. You can save your maps, and pinpoint multiple locations. Power will last for about a day and 1/2 running on two AA batteries. Best investment I've ever made, because I go deep into the woods sometimes making my own trails, and it has always gotten me back out to base camp by tracing my trail back or flagging where my start points are. It can also be plugged into 12V outlet of your quad if it has one, and then you do not use any battery power.

If you have a hunting partner at a different location, you can even send him information of your location through your GPS, so he can pinpoint and meet up with you.

or I would look at the 64s if I was to upgrade from the 62s, only thing is that you get less battery life, possibly because of bluetooth capabilities.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/gpsmap62seriescomparison.html

raab
04-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Great info guys thanks. I think it may be best to find a local Garmin distributer and talk to them. Anyone know a good place to look at one where the sales guy might actually know a few things?

If your in Edmonton I bought mine from Discover GPS I believe its called. Just south of argyll, off gateway on the right hand side. Sales staff was very knowledgable as thats all they really dealt with when I was in last.

Rafter1
04-04-2014, 12:14 AM
I agree with Raab I bought my GPS at Discover GPs and the staff are very knowledgeable and helpful

Big Daddy Badger
04-04-2014, 01:26 AM
Like everyone else said but also... look for a handiguide online for reference.

Once you spend some time with it and as long as you understand that they are not infallible.... the darn things are about as hard to use as a cell phone and twice as handy in a pinch.

Snm
04-04-2014, 09:50 AM
When i was looking for a gps unit i went back and forth for a couple months. I ended up with a rino 650 and i love it. It has satellite imagery so you can see cut lines and clearcut areas. it has the capability of tracking your path when you use it and you can mark way points and change the picture to others. heck you can even take a photo and put in on the unit so you have a photo of the area when you click on the waypoint. Lots of other features as well but i am sure you will look into that stuff.

The other is the montana 650t. its got a nice screen and all sorts of nice features.
both units use birds eye satellite imagery and its not to badly priced at around 30 dollars a year. :)

6.5swedeforelk
04-04-2014, 10:47 PM
I'll add my standard caveat for any first-time GPS buyers...
do not buy Delorme brand units, regardless of the low clearance prices.
A while back, Cabellas reduced the price of Delorme gps stock by $100.

blgoodbrand1
04-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Garmin gps combined with Iphone. I use iphone now for 95 percent of what I do. Google maps with sat overlay. If you know where your going upload area while you have service then It will be available when you don't. It's seems cheesy but it works. Guiding, personal hunting, oilfield work. It's all I use now

honda450
04-05-2014, 07:26 AM
A 60CSX or 62S would be perfect for your application. The only difference between the 2 units are a few bells and whistles that most people don't use anyhow. Either one would suit what you want to do and more. I got both. LOL

Both tested oilfield tough. LOL

Both you can plot your waypoints on google earth as well as aftermarket mapping software.

Both have SD slots for mapping capabilitys.

They really ain't that hard to use Nube.

Lots of software out there to use to suit your application.

Cowtown guy
04-05-2014, 09:10 AM
I can show you how mine works out.

Once you get used to them they are pretty sweet. After you get your lines established you can save routes in the unit. It will take you along a specified path and voila, you're there.

You could also get an I-phone. But I know how much you'd love that! Lol