PDA

View Full Version : wild boar hunting

ron maloney
04-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Just wondering where you guys or girls would suggest to look for a landowner that would want someone to take some hogs off his place. I'm in southern Alberta and kind of looking for the highest hog population. Thanks guys

calgarychef
04-03-2014, 02:44 PM
You'll never find hogs by asking in a forum. Anyone who knows where there are some will probably be hunting them themselves, added to that is the fact that there just aren't that many around. Maybe try talking to SRD in a likely area such as an area that's put a bounty on them.

bat119
04-03-2014, 03:12 PM
A web site to report sightings across Canada

http://wildboarcanada.ca/#sthash.LkZZQAG8.dpbs

You can drop off a roast for me when your done

Seabass.270
04-03-2014, 03:34 PM
I tried looking into boar hunting, and the first thing I did was look through old threads to see if anyone else had tried to do the same. All the threads were the same, friendly, but closed. No one gave anything more than Mayerthorp as a hint of where you might find some. My question would be more how do you go about tracking them? Learn the signs and start finding your own.

ron maloney
04-03-2014, 06:51 PM
I wasn"t really expecting a hunter to divulge his hunting area. was more hoping there may be a farmer on the forum that has a problem with hogs.

Alberta Bigbore
04-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Its a freakin blast!!!!

Grizzly Adams
04-03-2014, 08:37 PM
From the Alberta Farmer Express that came today, regarding wild pigs.

http://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/2014/04/03/officials-want-ban-on-wild-boar-farming-because-of-feral-pigs-threat/

Grizz

elkdump
04-03-2014, 08:43 PM
or try the Hunting in BC Forum, for wild boar sightings,

I understand about 35,000 very excited wild boar Hunters from the Greater Vancouver area are armed and dangerous with great hopes of finding 2 (same sex) pigs that escaped a pen near Hope BC back around 1982 ! :)

Matt L.
04-03-2014, 08:44 PM
From the Alberta Farmer Express that came today, regarding wild pigs.

http://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/2014/04/03/officials-want-ban-on-wild-boar-farming-because-of-feral-pigs-threat/

Grizz

How do these people think wild boar are going to be an issue like the states? Look at the areas where wild boar are overpopulated down there and then look up here. What's the one major difference?

Prdtrgttr
04-04-2014, 06:49 AM
If it's hogs you're after, save a little money and head Stateside. There are tons of hogs down there, and tons of outfitters.
We did a trip to Texas over the mid winter break and we found tons of hogs and javelinas. All in, including food and flight was about $1900 for a 3 day hunt.

Grizzly Adams
04-04-2014, 07:52 AM
How do these people think wild boar are going to be an issue like the states? Look at the areas where wild boar are overpopulated down there and then look up here. What's the one major difference?

Probably climate, but their hogs seem to have more domesticated stock in their background as well. Thing is we don't want them to become firmly established here for all kinds of reasons.

Grizz

Sheepcrazyguy
04-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Probably climate, but their hogs seem to have more domesticated stock in their background as well. Thing is we don't want them to become firmly established here for all kinds of reasons.

Grizz

Yes climate is the biggest reason.

You are correct, anytime you see spotted pigs in with them there is domestic stock in their background. True wild boar don't throw spotted pigs. Litters are no more than 6 per litter. The original wild hogs in the US were feral hogs.

Matt L.
04-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Grizz

I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying how overblown this is. Lack of a steady year-round food source and will keep them down. If not we'd have seen a major explosion already.

Sheepcrazyguy
04-04-2014, 08:13 AM
I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying how overblown this is. Lack of a steady year-round food source and will keep them down. If not we'd have seen a major explosion already.

X2

elkdump
04-04-2014, 08:35 AM
cold climate is NOT any issue for wild boar, I have owned many of them, and they do just fine during even the coldest weather (-40), they tunnel underground and eat roots and anything than can be chewed up,
they are great at clearing land of tree stumps and undergrowth,

I once purchased a domestic pink pig at an auction and turned her loose in the enclosure with the 12 wild boar, the wild boars attacked and killed the 200 pound domestic pig in less than 2 minutes, 2 hours later nothing was left of the domestic pig but a stain on the ground

Sheepcrazyguy
04-04-2014, 09:07 AM
cold climate is NOT any issue for wild boar, I have owned many of them, and they do just fine during even the coldest weather (-40), they tunnel underground and eat roots and anything than can be chewed up,
they are great at clearing land of tree stumps and undergrowth,

I once purchased a domestic pink pig at an auction and turned her loose in the enclosure with the 12 wild boar, the wild boars attacked and killed the 200 pound domestic pig in less than 2 minutes, 2 hours later nothing was left of the domestic pig but a stain on the ground

Cold climate is not an issue is right. But 3-5 feet of snow is.
I've raised wild boars for over 20 years. Even when introducing a new wild boar to the herd they will attack it and kill it if they get it cornered. I've always introduced them slowly. In a pen next to the herd. Even then they need lots of room to run from the rest.

elkdump
04-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Cold climate is not an issue is right. But 3-5 feet of snow is.
I've raised wild boars for over 20 years. Even when introducing a new wild boar to the herd they will attack it and kill it if they get it cornered. I've always introduced them slowly. In a pen next to the herd. Even then they need lots of room to run from the rest.

mine actually were European Wild Boar, they had no problems with cold or snow,
as they survive and thrive in Siberia so Northern Alta and BC should be a cake walk ? lol

Sheepcrazyguy
04-04-2014, 09:25 AM
mine actually were European Wild Boar, they had no problems with cold or snow,
as they survive and thrive in Siberia so Northern Alta and BC should be a cake walk ? lol

Mine are the same. I've never crossbred them with anything else. Perhaps your right. I don't know what they get for snowfall in Siberia. I've never had any escapees that stayed out all winter. Just seems to me they need man to survive. Not much for nuts, roots etc up here in Northern Ab for them to eat in the winter. Grain piles and haystacks then no problem. Do you still have some?

elkdump
04-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Mine are the same. I've never crossbred them with anything else. Perhaps your right. I don't know what they get for snowfall in Siberia. I've never had any escapees that stayed out all winter. Just seems to me they need man to survive. Not much for nuts, roots etc up here in Northern Ab for them to eat in the winter. Grain piles and haystacks then no problem. Do you still have some?

no I hammered(30-30) the last wild boar a couple years ago, she was close to 300kg live weight,

logging slash waste piles, root piles, round bales, muskeg, willow swamps all excellent wild boar cold weather habitat, shelter and food supply

these animals are incredibly intelligent I must add

Sheepcrazyguy
04-04-2014, 10:12 AM
no I hammered(30-30) the last wild boar a couple years ago, she was close to 300kg live weight,

logging slash waste piles, root piles, round bales, muskeg, willow swamps all excellent wild boar cold weather habitat, shelter and food supply

these animals are incredibly intelligent I must add

Yes they're very intelligent! And very tasty!

heretohunt
04-05-2014, 08:37 AM
We in Alberta wish we had a feral pig problem. LOL much better than a feral horse problem.

Grizzly Adams
04-05-2014, 08:48 AM
We in Alberta wish we had a feral pig problem. LOL much better than a feral horse problem.

Think there's any money to be made in raising a Wild Pig Defense fund ?:lol:

Grizz

SNIPEUR
04-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Whats wrong with feral horses?

Keith_h_c
04-05-2014, 03:21 PM
I spotted one south of barhead this fall

ron maloney
04-05-2014, 05:58 PM
A number of years ago I saw where a farmer had a large area of page wire fence filled with round bales , he put in a bunch of wealing pigs to feed for the winter and I would think they would do quite well. They weren't the Russian boar variety but they can survive quite well in the cold under those conditions