PDA

View Full Version : Am i missing some thing ????

fickell
04-03-2014, 03:08 PM
The cost of a salt water fishing trip -1 guided fishing boat with every thing supplied for 4 fisher men $1100.00 per day x3 =$3300.00.Hotel rooms 2 rooms perday @$300.00 x 3=$900.00. meals breakfast $16.00 lunch $16.00 diner $24.00 x4people x3days =$672.00 TOTAL $4872.00 verses $8000.00 diff. of $3128.00 that is for fishing in Prince Rupert waters .

BeeGuy
04-03-2014, 03:11 PM
They charge what the market will bear.

Why is that surprising?

EZM
04-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Capital Investment, interest on loans to purchase/lease equipment. (boats and equipment).

Depreciation of the assets (boats and equipment).

Operating costs (slip fees, maintenance of boat and equipment, fuel, repairs).

Wages and Profits ............

Sounds about right to me.

Redfrog
04-03-2014, 04:11 PM
How much is vehicle allowance in the patch? Wages for 12 hour day?

If there's 4 fishermen , why are only 3 paying?

fickell
04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
$1100.00 is for 4 fisher men x3 days ==$3300.00

binnzer32
04-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Most bc lodges are a huge rip off. Can do fly ins cheaper. .. some have good deals though. .
Most are like $1000 a day all in.

jednastka
04-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Can't talk to BC saltwater lodges, but definitely can talk to freshwater fly-in lodges. It appears there are clearly two classes. I call one American-International where the prices are all-inclusive with guided big boats etc. for up to $1000 per day per person. Then there's what my brothers and I do. Take care of our own transportation, bring our own food and drink, do our own cooking, our own gear (but rent the boat and motor), do our own guiding, clean our own fish, and pay about $2,500 for 7 days on the water for the three of us! The lodges that we frequent have owner/operators that know the area and are very willing to share it. We fish the same waters as the American-International plan guys, but on our own terms.

Different strokes for different folks.

Vic

Mark
04-04-2014, 01:59 PM
The cost of a salt water fishing trip -1 guided fishing boat with every thing supplied for 4 fisher men $1100.00 per day x3 =$3300.00.Hotel rooms 2 rooms perday @$300.00 x 3=$900.00. meals breakfast $16.00 lunch $16.00 diner $24.00 x4people x3days =$672.00 TOTAL $4872.00 verses $8000.00 diff. of $3128.00 that is for fishing in Prince Rupert waters .

Day trip guides are not usually in the same location as lodges. Lodges tend to be right on prime fishing grounds, and often in locations not accessible by day trippers. (Even in Prince Rupert). Therefore, the better locations results in better and more consistent fishing. In addition, the areas day guides fish tend to be very busy. In some areas it’s not uncommon to be surrounded by 50+ boats. Lodges locations are usually remotes, and often the only other boats you see are from the lodge.

Travel time for day tripper is usually an hour plus. With most lodges you’re on the water and fishing within less than a half hour of leaving the lodge.

Lodges usually process your fish.

Lodges rarely have four people to a boat. Usually just two, sometime three. Four is rare, unless specially request. Fewer people to a boat, more chance of playing a fish, thus more fishing time.

Shall I go on???

Generally you do get what you pay for.

Done both, lodges are well worth the money.

BlackHeart
04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
You forgot the booze. 200 per person X4 guys X 3 days. 2400

Just kidding....but there's as cost there..

newell
04-04-2014, 11:42 PM
I would say that these types of trips the lodge experience compared to the hotel experience is not even comparable. You head back to the lodge and have cocktails and appetizers. Bs with buddies and all while looking at an amazing view. Hotels do not (in my opinion) come even close to the level of enjoyment.

fickell
04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
I am there to FISH I can sight see out of my living room window

Ronji
04-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Day trip guides are not usually in the same location as lodges. Lodges tend to be right on prime fishing grounds, and often in locations not accessible by day trippers. (Even in Prince Rupert). Therefore, the better locations results in better and more consistent fishing. In addition, the areas day guides fish tend to be very busy. In some areas it’s not uncommon to be surrounded by 50+ boats. Lodges locations are usually remotes, and often the only other boats you see are from the lodge.

Travel time for day tripper is usually an hour plus. With most lodges you’re on the water and fishing within less than a half hour of leaving the lodge.

Lodges usually process your fish.

Lodges rarely have four people to a boat. Usually just two, sometime three. Four is rare, unless specially request. Fewer people to a boat, more chance of playing a fish, thus more fishing time.

Shall I go on???

Generally you do get what you pay for.

Done both, lodges are well worth the money.

Well said. We usually go 2 people to a boat. By the end of the day, your arms are tired from bringing them in all day.

J D
04-05-2014, 09:02 AM
What you bring back in fish makes these trips worth it beyond just the fishing experience.

Lots of hidden costs to run these charters and if it was a huge money maker there would be more people doing it.

It is not for everyone but I would say most who go on these trips are happy they did spend the $.

This is not a float trip down the bow

bobalong
04-05-2014, 05:32 PM
It is not for everyone but I would say most who go on these trips are happy they did spend the $.

This is not a float trip down the bow

I'll take a trip down the Bow any day, I rig my own gear, cast my own rod and don't have to take turns bringing in fish.

I have been on two guided trips for white sturgeon on the Fraser. It was through a company I worked for, so there was no cost to me. It was a good experience but I much prefer fishing for sturgeon on the NSR with my own gear.

I agree with you though, those that go, really seem to enjoy it, and that is all that really matters.

J D
04-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I'll take a trip down the Bow any day, I rig my own gear, cast my own rod and don't have to take turns bringing in fish.

I have been on two guided trips for white sturgeon on the Fraser. It was through a company I worked for, so there was no cost to me. It was a good experience but I much prefer fishing for sturgeon on the NSR with my own gear.

I agree with you though, those that go, really seem to enjoy it, and that is all that really matters.

I understand what you are saying and that is why I don't have a guide baby sit me on a charter. I bring some of my own gear and usually rig up my own gear. I have never been with a big group so fish fighting was not an issue.

I am there for the boat, location, and a good time

Really these trips are what you make them.

I fish on my own for the most part but did enjoy the charter and did not regret the $ spent

Who Da Fisherman
04-05-2014, 06:31 PM
I understand what you are saying and that is why I don't have a guide baby sit me on a charter. I bring some of my own gear and usually rig up my own gear. I have never been with a big group so fish fighting was not an issue.

I am there for the boat, location, and a good time

Really these trips are what you make them.

I fish on my own for the most part but did enjoy the charter and did not regret the $ spent

X2
Went to the Sportsman club in rivers inlet, floating lodge, boat right outside your door. You can fish morning till night, best time. 3 nights-4 days just over $3k.

Red Bullets
04-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Or you can drive to Terrace/Kitimat/prince rupert and fish the rivers with your own gear from shore. Motel with kitchenette...and your eating your own fresh salmon or trout while you are there. Do 2 weeks for 3K.
I know it's not the ocean, but there is no sea sickness and the weather doesn't effect a person's experience as much. A little wind on land is more tolerable than a little wind on the ocean. And the chinooks still get to 80+ lbs. in the rivers too. Steelhead to 25. Pinks, coho, and sockeye. The salmon are still silver bullets so close to the ocean too.

I caught a few tremendous salmon and trout from shore in the rivers there. I camped right on the Skeena river. Could have watched my rod from the tent.

J D
04-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Or you can drive to Terrace/Kitimat/prince rupert and fish the rivers with your own gear from shore. Motel with kitchenette...and your eating your own fresh salmon or trout while you are there. Do 2 weeks for 3K.
I know it's not the ocean, but there is no sea sickness and the weather doesn't effect a person's experience as much. A little wind on land is more tolerable than a little wind on the ocean. And the chinooks still get to 80+ lbs. in the rivers too. Steelhead to 25. Pinks, coho, and sockeye. The salmon are still silver bullets so close to the ocean too.

I caught a few tremendous salmon and trout from shore in the rivers there. I camped right on the Skeena river. Could have watched my rod from the tent.

I would go DIY on any trip where I own the boat to do the job or rivers I can fish off shore.

It is only offshore ocean fishing where I don't own the boat and electronics to do it. Just way to much $ to invest in the gear to do these trips if you are only going to do it once every few years.

Done lots of DIY trips in freshwater and because I have the experience with it and the gear to do it I won't go guided. The most I have done is hired chopper or float plane to drop me off in the middle of no where.

Lots of trips are easy to budget DIY but some it is cheaper to hire a guide than buy the equipment to do it solo.

Jamie
04-06-2014, 08:53 AM

Fickell, I am going to jump into this as we are the Only salmon fishing Lodge in Prince Rupert.

First off,thanks for thinking about fishing Rupert. I believe that the Area offers the absolute best all round Salmon fishing experiance on the coast.

The fishing public are fortunate to have such a great location and so many varied ways to enjoy it.

You can stay in hotels,motels,inns, or even a tent. There are a multitude of day charter operators and of course Great Pacific Salmon Lodge. Prices vary greatly in each situation. You can find day charter operations that only do it on a part time basis. There are a handful of full time Profesional day charters and of course us.

Your numbers are not exactly accurate in comparison to what we offer.
A ocean view room at the Crest will run you around $250/night

Your food cost is off. If you bought our dinners in a restaurant, I am sure you would be around $50/plate

Your Charter rates are way off. To get a comparable boat to ours, complete with Lunch, high end Islander reels, profesional captains, equipment that works, engines under a thousand hours, spare down riggers, heat, on board washrooms and something not everyone shares with you, UNLIMITED range! There are Day charter operators that will not take you to the places that hold fish. They are concerned that the fuel is to expensive. Cost for a day like that is about $1,500

One other thing you didn't put in was fish care.
Last year the fish processing (think vac pack) cost was $100/person. Last time I did it privately, my personal cost was $1,000 for the group of 4. We are able to arrange such great rates due to our volume.

You will find that Great Pacific Salmon Lodge is very much a sport fishing lodge. It's the experience that counts. We designed the whole experience around just that.

But as I said, you surely can Fish Rupert in a more economical fashion.

Perhaps we will see you on the water and if your in town, get in touch and you can come by for a beer. You show up at the right time and I am sure you can join us for dinner.

Take care and good luck
Jamie