PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hunting related job.

Seabass.270
04-03-2014, 03:41 PM
The more I want to learn, the more I feel like the best way is to be out hunting all day. And since I have a full time job that doesn't really seem likely. Last spring I had the opportunity to work part time at a guide camp. Unfortunately I never got to go. But that gives me the idea that some p/t jobs could be out there that would put me in the world I would soooo rather be in.

So where could I find opportunities like that? Anyone know of any jobs?

drake
04-03-2014, 03:46 PM
It's only fun UNTIL it becomes a job....

35 whelen
04-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Check out apos all the outfitters are there ,find a area you want to guide in then check which outfitters work in those wmus. and give them a call .did it for a lot of years till it was not fun anymore but learned lots and saw most of western Canada ,

covey ridge
04-03-2014, 04:12 PM

I think that only seems to be true because some make it into a job. A job is what people do to get paid. I have met a few in my life that seem to be really happy doing what they do. They seem to do what they do because they love it or are passionate about it and that is their motive. All those I have asked about this say that living their dream is most important and enough funds to make a living on will be sure to follow.

I have no advice for the OP to find that perfect situation. I would only say pursue what you think will make you happy and everything else will fall into place. Good Luck:)

Seabass.270
04-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Check out apos all the outfitters are there ,find a area you want to guide in then check which outfitters work in those wmus. and give them a call .did it for a lot of years till it was not fun anymore but learned lots and saw most of western Canada ,

Thanks! that'll be a great start to the search

And yes I know some people say once it's a job it's no fun. But i guess I don't want to make my living, I just want to open myself up to more opportunities and see what I can learn from it.

Double Shovel
04-03-2014, 06:38 PM

This is true

hal53
04-03-2014, 06:40 PM
This is true
hey! we are going to run a bunch of 8H110's at Amisk, that might be more fun for you, LOL:scared0018:

trigger7mm
04-03-2014, 08:26 PM
What's an 8H110?

3blade
04-03-2014, 08:44 PM
The reality can be very different than what we imagine it to be. With these types of jobs, you may be in the environment you like, but your participation in it is controlled by others. If you find an opportunity, go for it. Only one way to find out. But don't bet your future on it.

At 19 yrs old I was going to move to the beach and get a job where I could surf every day. Worked in a surf camp in aus for 2 weeks, that was enough.

elkdump
04-03-2014, 08:59 PM
after 20+ season guiding mostly German Nationals and Big Gun totting Boasting Americans I can safely say sleeping in my own bed at home is wayyyy much more fun,,,

than in a tent or cabin with 4 or 6 ,,,Chilli gorging , beer drinking FART machines ! :scared0018:

H380
04-03-2014, 09:12 PM

Isn't that the truth . If it's done right it truly is alot of work being a guide .

Cowtown guy
04-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Isn't that the truth . If it's done right it truly is alot of work being a guide .

In bed just before midnight.
Up before 4.
Back for breakfast by 10:30.
Get everything ready for the afternoon hunt.
Deal with camp/gear "issues".
Deal with client "issues".
Do my daily dog training.
Hunt from 4 till dark.
Supper from 10 till 11.
Get ready for the morning hunt.

That's the first 3 weeks of bird camp. It gets a little better as everything gets ironed out and the days get shorter.

You get to hunt 6 days a week. But you rarely get to rip the trigger. It can get very frustrating to see 10 big honkers hanging in your face and have 4 guys knock down 1 or 2 birds. TOTAL! Hunting after the guide season is over is pretty minimal unfortunately. After being sleep deprived for 7 weeks I kinda don't want to be out for birds in the am... but I kinda do too. It almost turns into a love hate thing.

But I gotta say I love being up there. The camaraderie and the friendships that I have formed will (hopefully), be there for life. I have learned a ton and hope to learn a whole bunch more. Most of the clients are great guys and gals.

Seabass.270
04-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Don't worry. I don't plan on quitting my day job just yet. But thank you all for your advice.
I want to see what kind of jobs there are out there more to expand the hobby, and be able to learn more. What better way than hands on?

Rennich98
04-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Fish and wildlife?? Wildlife or marine biologist?? Or you just let your husband work while you hunt for some groceries!!!

HunterDave
04-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Take up trapping.....that's what I did this year. You are your own boss and you have much more freedom to do what you want. Be as busy as you want to be by adjusting the number of traps that you set. You hunt a lot of different fur bearers while you are trapping (ie wolves, coyotes). Sell the pelts and get paid for enjoying the outdoors. :)

NW Tradegunner
04-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Try the airport, they definitely don't like critters anywhere near there. Especially birds:sign0161: The other place is counties; pest control officers seem to make living of it.

ArryDawg
04-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Hunterdave,

How are you making so far?
Reason I'm asking I'm considering trapping too.

H380
04-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Up before 4.
Back for breakfast by 10:30.
Get everything ready for the afternoon hunt.
Deal with camp/gear "issues".
Deal with client "issues".
Do my daily dog training.
Hunt from 4 till dark.
Supper from 10 till 11.
Get ready for the morning hunt.

That's the first 3 weeks of bird camp. It gets a little better as everything gets ironed out and the days get shorter.

You get to hunt 6 days a week. But you rarely get to rip the trigger. It can get very frustrating to see 10 big honkers hanging in your face and have 4 guys knock down 1 or 2 birds. TOTAL! Hunting after the guide season is over is pretty minimal unfortunately. After being sleep deprived for 7 weeks I kinda don't want to be out for birds in the am... but I kinda do too. It almost turns into a love hate thing.

But I gotta say I love being up there. The camaraderie and the friendships that I have formed will (hopefully), be there for life. I have learned a ton and hope to learn a whole bunch more. Most of the clients are great guys and gals.

I agree with you in the fact that when it's good it is really good , but when it's bad ? Oh well just like every other occupation , you have to roll with it . I too learned alot in my days as a guide and made friendships that last to this day .Had lots of clients and the real good ones and the real bad ones are the easiest to remember .. LOL .

ab_hunter
04-04-2014, 11:34 PM

This is the truth.

SNIPEUR
04-05-2014, 09:55 AM
marked. I'll surely give some of the methods a try!

HunterDave
04-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Hunterdave,

How are you making so far?
Reason I'm asking I'm considering trapping too.

Ask me in about a week. I start Spring trapping Muskrats on Monday but I could set out a few traps as early as today. :)

Double Shovel
04-06-2014, 10:35 AM
hey! we are going to run a bunch of 8H110's at Amisk, that might be more fun for you, LOL:scared0018:
The commission from that would be better,lol. Bout time you guys bought from them,ha...must have had a better salesman

outdoors forever
04-06-2014, 10:56 AM
The more I want to learn, the more I feel like the best way is to be out hunting all day. And since I have a full time job that doesn't really seem likely. Last spring I had the opportunity to work part time at a guide camp. Unfortunately I never got to go. But that gives me the idea that some p/t jobs could be out there that would put me in the world I would soooo rather be in.
So where could I find opportunities like that? Anyone know of any jobs?

I feel the exact same as you!

Fortunately for me I have a job I LOVE and I get to be outside 80% of my time, so I really have nothing to complain about.........but imagine getting paid to go hunting..........

:)

Good luck, seabass, keep us posted.

I think you are a great addition to the forum, your enthusiasm is nice to read about!

Double Shovel
04-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Finding a job that involves your passion can be both rewarding and a curse. I made the leap just a little over a year ago from a really good paying job to a job that can pay good.......if you work. To give you an idea, I had a job (salary) where I worked my way pretty much to the top of our area without having to move, full benefits, truck,some personal use,rrsp plan , pretty good job for the most part. I had a plan all along that some day I wanted to do taxidermy full time. My wife and I discussed it and we knew before we went into it that is was going to be a whole lifestyle change. It meant a scale back of expenses(which weren't out of control) but we knew we had to be more aware. Another taxidermist put it in perspective in one sentence and to this day , it's what keep me going, he said, " when my hands stop moving, I stop making money". Now that I am in it, this is so true. Where in my oilpatch job, if I left the shop an hour early, I still got paid.
But.... one thing I couldn't stand was no matter how well you did in the patch, upper management still was not satisfied. They would find ways to squeeze your balls even when you thought there was no squeezing left in them. We would break our sales numbers for the month and they would find a way to add more next month , even if it was during break up and if you didn't meet those numbers, "YOU" had to explain why in front of the whole company. This wears on you.
So with taxidermy, I am the boss...great....most days. On the days when your by yourself working away and you look around your shop and see what you have created and you can't believe you are actually making a living doing something like this, it is pretty rewarding. But what is not rewarding is being married to it. In the last year I have heard so many hunting stories,waited for money so many times, waited for pick ups from customers who have phoned every two weeks and once it is done,have not come to get their animals, missed bedtimes with my kids due to late night pick ups. This is hard. About 70% of the customers ask for deals or reduced prices which is tough because I have kids to feed too. What happens is it is a different kind of stress that now when I have time to go hunt for myself or shoot my guns, most days I don't want to. I actually seek to do things that have nothing to do with hunting or guns because I breathe it everyday. You have to be careful because what "IS" your passion can soon become an issue. Don't get me wrong, for the most part I have some great customers and other taxidermists that I can bounce ideas off of and they too in return. I do like the idea that when I want to take the day off, I don't have to ask anyone. There have been tons of doors opened too since going full time taxidermy, I probably would never had the chance to shoot a dall sheep in my life had I not lived the lifestyle I do and it was not because of money, it was because I could commit the time to work in a camp like that. Now I can go back to that camp and work and hunt for the most part. But when I am in that camp... I have to work so it is not a holiday either. Doors have been opened for me and my family being apart of Outdoor Quest. This has introduced us to some great people and we have shared many laughs and they have help our business tons and we thank them for that.
All in all it as lifestyle that your seeking and just really make sure you know what your getting into. I know most of my customers and friends think that I live the good life now because I make a living in the hunting industry. They really don't know the struggles that come with it. So if I can give any advice... step slowly into it and make sure.

Foxton Gundogs
04-06-2014, 11:04 AM
If you are any kind of a hand with horses, packing, shoeing etc and a decient trail cook look to the horse outfitters they always have trouble finding a good solid hand. I spent a lot of years wrangling, packing, guiding and cooking in hunting camps and good help is hard to come by. If you get on go with the attitude you know nothing and want to learn everything listen don't talk carry a BIG rifle and hope you don't have to use it. I never hunted so little as when I worked for GOs Good Luck

Cowtown guy
04-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Finding a job that involves your passion can be both rewarding and a curse. I made the leap just a little over a year ago from a really good paying job to a job that can pay good.......if you work. To give you an idea, I had a job (salary) where I worked my way pretty much to the top of our area without having to move, full benefits, truck,some personal use,rrsp plan , pretty good job for the most part. I had a plan all along that some day I wanted to do taxidermy full time. My wife and I discussed it and we knew before we went into it that is was going to be a whole lifestyle change. It meant a scale back of expenses(which weren't out of control) but we knew we had to be more aware. Another taxidermist put it in perspective in one sentence and to this day , it's what keep me going, he said, " when my hands stop moving, I stop making money". Now that I am in it, this is so true. Where in my oilpatch job, if I left the shop an hour early, I still got paid.
But.... one thing I couldn't stand was no matter how well you did in the patch, upper management still was not satisfied. They would find ways to squeeze your balls even when you thought there was no squeezing left in them. We would break our sales numbers for the month and they would find a way to add more next month , even if it was during break up and if you didn't meet those numbers, "YOU" had to explain why in front of the whole company. This wears on you.
So with taxidermy, I am the boss...great....most days. On the days when your by yourself working away and you look around your shop and see what you have created and you can't believe you are actually making a living doing something like this, it is pretty rewarding. But what is not rewarding is being married to it. In the last year I have heard so many hunting stories,waited for money so many times, waited for pick ups from customers who have phoned every two weeks and once it is done,have not come to get their animals, missed bedtimes with my kids due to late night pick ups. This is hard. About 70% of the customers ask for deals or reduced prices which is tough because I have kids to feed too. What happens is it is a different kind of stress that now when I have time to go hunt for myself or shoot my guns, most days I don't want to. I actually seek to do things that have nothing to do with hunting or guns because I breathe it everyday. You have to be careful because what "IS" your passion can soon become an issue. Don't get me wrong, for the most part I have some great customers and other taxidermists that I can bounce ideas off of and they too in return. I do like the idea that when I want to take the day off, I don't have to ask anyone. There have been tons of doors opened too since going full time taxidermy, I probably would never had the chance to shoot a dall sheep in my life had I not lived the lifestyle I do and it was not because of money, it was because I could commit the time to work in a camp like that. Now I can go back to that camp and work and hunt for the most part. But when I am in that camp... I have to work so it is not a holiday either. Doors have been opened for me and my family being apart of Outdoor Quest. This has introduced us to some great people and we have shared many laughs and they have help our business tons and we thank them for that.
All in all it as lifestyle that your seeking and just really make sure you know what your getting into. I know most of my customers and friends think that I live the good life now because I make a living in the hunting industry. They really don't know the struggles that come with it. So if I can give any advice... step slowly into it and make sure.

Well said Curtis. And that may be the most I have ever seen you post her in one shot. Lol

Double Shovel
04-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Well said Curtis. And that may be the most I have ever seen you post her in one shot. Lol

Haha, I was waiting for my wife to get out of the bathroom......had some time

Chase 22
04-09-2014, 08:25 PM
I love hunting again because I quit guiding. Not what its cracked up to be. Got some great outdoor experiences but clients can be a downer. Wish you better luck than I had.

huntinstuff
04-09-2014, 09:05 PM
I love guiding in Yukon.

I get more enjoyment seeing others get their animal.

Now, I get to guide and train new guides!

Helping others realize their goals is very rewarding.

When I return home, I hunt with my son and watch him get his animals.

I only shoot an animal if the moon is aligned just so, and the sun is setting just so, and the temperature is just so, and I have enough coffee in my thermos. I drive my son insane..... Lol

We are always interested in looking at resumes for Yukon guides. You can email me your resume at gohuntn@telus.net as I do the guide training for Jim Shockey's Rogue River Outfitters.

bergman
04-09-2014, 10:57 PM
If you love your job, you'll never work a day if your life.
I don't know how qualified I am to give advice, but since you asked...

Either:
1. Find a job you love, and go for it, or
2. Find a job you don't love, that pays well enough for you to do the things you do love.

What you don't want is to have a job you hate that pays terrible. That's for the last resort, only if you really need to put food on the table while you work towards something closer to the options above.

Hair trigger
04-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Took holidays from the real world to guide for 1 month each fall. I loved it and learned a bunch but I was sure worn out... Waterfowl guiding in September can wear a man down.. Early sunrises and late sunsets were killin me.. Wouldn't have changed anything and loved the clients.. Best of luck in your quest.

HT