PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Thread

The Reel Deal
04-03-2014, 10:25 PM
I thought I'd start an open water thread for all those dying to get their boats out.

I'm picking my boat up tomorrow "if it's ready" from the dealer, they've only had it since the first week of October. I'm not complaining, they've basically stored it for free all winter. I just like sitting in it and listening to the hockey game on the radio with a cold one in the garage.

I'm getting a new HB with auto chart and would like to start mapping some of my favorite lakes as soon as the ice comes off.

If you're out and about, post the open water or launch conditions. I see Lyon6 has already posted about Henderson by Lethbridge.

Thx

bwackwabbit
04-03-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm in central AB, so I'll probably post some pics of the huge pike I'll have iced in August!...lol.

Tigger72
04-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Open water??? I need a few more weeks of ice.... still need a warmer garage so I can Gluvit my boat ( seal it ) then prime and paint it , then finish the interior make a new transom... Oh and I better renew my fishing licence!!!! ( doesn't seem to be enough time in the day)

The Reel Deal
04-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Open water??? I need a few more weeks of ice.... still need a warmer garage so I can Gluvit my boat ( seal it ) then prime and paint it , then finish the interior make a new transom... Oh and I better renew my fishing licence!!!! ( doesn't seem to be enough time in the day)

Sounds like you'll be shore fishing all year if you haven't started working on your boat. You might want to get a heater :)

The Fisherman Guy
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I couldn't wait any longer, so I hooked up the boat and headed west to BC for some open water. Spring has definitely sprung in the interior, and the rain which joined us on and off the entire time was a welcome sight instead of snow.

The fish weren't cooperating very well, but we did catch a few. We fished the Lower Arrow Lake above the Hugh Keenleyside Dam in Castlegar. All fish were caught on plugs on a 3.0mph troll just below the surface.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/thefishermanguy/Release_zps24d7fb50.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/thefishermanguy/COwie2_zps45b599c3.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/thefishermanguy/8lbBull3_zps1631eb1a.jpg

Come on May 8! I have a date with my new river boat and Sturgeon!

Bigdad013
04-04-2014, 12:09 PM
6 days of fishing, yup, not catching, pretty poor fishing for us anyways. My buddy did manage to get a nice bull for the BBQ. Awesome weather, can't wait til easter now

fish99
04-04-2014, 12:31 PM
6 days of fishing, yup, not catching, pretty poor fishing for us anyways. My buddy did manage to get a nice bull for the BBQ. Awesome weather, can't wait til easter now

is that ice behind the dock

The Fisherman Guy
04-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Nice photo's Bigdad! Fishing in the fog is one of my favorites.

Too bad the fishing was slow, but those Bullies do taste good exactly the way you cooked that one - on a cedar plank with butter and brown sugar...mmmmm MMM!

Jack&7
04-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Got some work to do on my boat...guess I better get started? Just finally put the ice gear away the other day :(

Bigdad013
04-04-2014, 03:02 PM
is that ice behind the dock

That's ice, Mara lake is frozen and just happens my slip is ice free to the Shuswap

bobalong
04-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Nothing like the first open water trip of the year to clear the mind, and recharge for the year to come.

RagingPenguin
04-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Some beauty pictures and fish!

Lambo
04-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Found some open rivers today. Gonna get the jet boat out once I get rid of this pneumonia. :angry3:

fish gunner
04-05-2014, 12:16 AM

Perfect eater bull try a size smaller than normal it can bring hits when conventional sizes don't. In my time on the big shoo.

fish gunner
04-05-2014, 12:17 AM
I couldn't wait any longer, so I hooked up the boat and headed west to BC for some open water. Spring has definitely sprung in the interior, and the rain which joined us on and off the entire time was a welcome sight instead of snow.

The fish weren't cooperating very well, but we did catch a few. We fished the Lower Arrow Lake above the Hugh Keenleyside Dam in Castlegar. All fish were caught on plugs on a 3.0mph troll just below the surface.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/thefishermanguy/Release_zps24d7fb50.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/thefishermanguy/COwie2_zps45b599c3.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/thefishermanguy/8lbBull3_zps1631eb1a.jpg

Come on May 8! I have a date with my new river boat and Sturgeon!slabs . Well done . See any bugs , bees &such ?

BeeGuy
04-05-2014, 12:53 AM
slabs . Well done . See any bugs , bees &such ?

Awesome fish.

I've done quite a lot of biodiversity surveys in the area.

Brilliant and syringa are really unique ecosystems in the area.

Love fishing below Hugh keenleyside.

fish gunner
04-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Awesome fish.

I've done quite a lot of biodiversity surveys in the area.

Brilliant and syringa are really unique ecosystems in the area.

Love fishing below Hugh keenleyside.

Let me know if you make it oit that way ill give up a gooder spot.
Arrow is a fantastic lake lots of water lots of big fish , a little tougher than kootaney with the lower numbers of serious pressure.

The Reel Deal
04-05-2014, 07:35 AM
I heard Wasa is open. Be nice to hit some bass, if the dealer can get my boat ready on time:angry3:

Got the call yesterday " uh I know I said Friday but we forgot we still had to detail it, so we'll call you when it's ready next week"

:mad3:

WayneChristie
04-05-2014, 08:28 AM

had a honey bee hanging around me yesterday here, but they were around 3 weeks ago before winter came back too. going to check out some waters today see if its flowing or solid

The Fisherman Guy
04-05-2014, 08:50 AM

Yes, they are pretty far ahead of us in Castlegar. Grass is green, trees were just starting to pop, Tulips are up. Saw mosquitoes, moths and spiders. Nothing for hatches starting when we were there but it won't be long now.