PDA

View Full Version : Old fly help

Iron Brew
04-04-2014, 12:35 AM
In 1980 my grandfather in Scotland made up 100 or so flies for my brother and I. These are Scottish trout flies. I was a kid at the time.

Anyway, They have been in (probably not great) storage since that time. I've restored a box as a shadow box to put them in, but I'd like to get somebody who is good with flies to go over them, and if any need "un-squished" or anything, have that done. They will go with his fishing medals.

At this point I'm just looking for advice/recommendations...

Thanks

IB

lippy
04-04-2014, 08:16 AM
You could try the Internet for recommended ways to restore them. I read that steaming them will "un-squish" them without getting them wet..have never tried it though.

cube
04-04-2014, 08:21 AM
In 1980 my grandfather in Scotland made up 100 or so flies for my brother and I. These are Scottish trout flies. I was a kid at the time.

Anyway, They have been in (probably not great) storage since that time. I've restored a box as a shadow box to put them in, but I'd like to get somebody who is good with flies to go over them, and if any need "un-squished" or anything, have that done. They will go with his fishing medals.

At this point I'm just looking for advice/recommendations...

Thanks

IB

Have you tried posting on the Fly fishing page.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101

What part of the Province are you from?

Iron Brew
04-04-2014, 08:31 AM
I have to admit the flies were there after I got back from camp, and I hadn't really noticed they had split fishing and fly fishing. I hadn't checked the fishing forum in a while...

:sEm_oops2:

greyduck
04-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Steam them, the steam will soften and straighten feathers.

Lornce
04-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Steam will work but you have to be really careful with old classic flies, you can ruin them with the heat and create a host of problems with the materials and head finishes. You need to clean and restore them first.