PDA

View Full Version : Vegreville Trout Pond

Rikkles Fisher
04-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Hi would anybody please be kind enough to tell me if the trout don't winterkill here and if anyone has been out lately here, any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated also thanks!

RavYak
04-04-2014, 11:41 AM
I heard a rumour it winter killed as they are trying to kill the perch population off.

Geezle
04-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Aerators aren't running this season...I've heard they're trying to let the pond die off to get rid of the perch. :o

pikeslayer22
04-04-2014, 11:52 AM
There still fish in it...had some school kids out a couple weeks back

Rikkles Fisher
04-04-2014, 11:54 AM
There still fish in it...had some school kids out a couple weeks back
How did you all do?

coyotezh
04-04-2014, 12:32 PM
could someone tell me why people hate the perch so much? Perch taste better, easy to catch, perfect for kids and lots of fun IMO.

RavYak
04-04-2014, 12:35 PM
could someone tell me why people hate the perch so much? Perch taste better, easy to catch, perfect for kids and lots of fun IMO.

Because in a trout pond they have no natural predators and not enough food. They stunt and keep the trout from growing as well.

Perch in the right lake are great but not in a trout pond.

fish99
04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Because in a trout pond they have no natural predators and not enough food. They stunt and keep the trout from growing as well.

Perch in the right lake are great but not in a trout pond.

2x

Rikkles Fisher
04-04-2014, 12:49 PM
So anyone have any reports on this place in the last month or so? Keep getting excited I'm gonna see one then it's just another post about illegally introduced perch being a bad thing lol we all know that! I want to know who has been catching em so I can try and help the cause as well by putting them on the dinner plate lol😜

RavYak
04-04-2014, 12:56 PM
So anyone have any reports on this place in the last month or so? Keep getting excited I'm gonna see one then it's just another post about illegally introduced perch being a bad thing lol we all know that! I want to know who has been catching em so I can try and help the cause as well by putting them on the dinner plate lol😜

Go try it... Most people on here are extremely tight lipped so I doubt you can get a clear answer(and even at that not sure if I would believe it).

Too bad people aren't more open on things like this, it was a lot of fun down in Florida where people were willing to share spots and give good fishing reports.

Rikkles Fisher
04-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Go try it... Most people on here are extremely tight lipped so I doubt you can get a clear answer(and even at that not sure if I would believe it).

Too bad people aren't more open on things like this, it was a lot of fun down in Florida where people were willing to share spots and give good fishing reports.
This is all true my friend, unfortunately. It would just be nice to know it's a fairly far trip, I would be happy catching 15 6 inch perch and that's not even worth being tight lipped about lol

Geezle
04-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Had a group of about 2 dozen kids out about 3 weeks ago.

Saw 2 fish caught by a different group right at the end of the day...none at all in our group.

Water in the west pond was very smelly.

Take that for what you will, but I don't know if it would be worth the gas to get there. :o

Rikkles Fisher
04-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Had a group of about 2 dozen kids out about 3 weeks ago.

Saw 2 fish caught by a different group right at the end of the day...none at all in our group.

Water in the west pond was very smelly.

Take that for what you will, but I don't know if it would be worth the gas to get there. :o
Ouch that's rough! I want to go for trout 2 hr radius MAX of edmonton area but I'm trying to find a pond with invasive perch where the limit is 15, makes for a good fish fry!

TrophyPikeHunter
04-04-2014, 02:43 PM
This is all true my friend, unfortunately. It would just be nice to know it's a fairly far trip, I would be happy catching 15 6 inch perch and that's not even worth being tight lipped about lol

I will echo Geezle's sentiments...there are very few fish in that pond and I seriously doubt there are any perch. You might get lucky and hook a trout, but a perch?...doubt it. A local told me there WAS big ones in there but that was years ago and he was sure the aerator hadn't been run for the past two winters. To quote another AO member, that pond is (virtually) DEAD...

Rikkles Fisher
04-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys, back to square one. Where isn't winter killed around here lol

Geezle
04-04-2014, 03:22 PM
I will echo Geezle's sentiments...there are very few fish in that pond and I seriously doubt there are any perch. You might get lucky and hook a trout, but a perch?...doubt it. A local told me there WAS big ones in there but that was years ago and he was sure the aerator hadn't been run for the past two winters. To quote another AO member, that pond is (virtually) DEAD...

I was out once last season and there was open water and the aerator was on. Caught a bunch of stunted perch and a handful of rainbows.

EZM
04-04-2014, 10:24 PM
I ran my camera down more than a dozen holes ............. other than crayfish .... nothing .......

Moved over to where the west and east pond meet and drilled up some pretty stinky water ...... my guess it in the process of a winterkill.

No fish caught with a few dozen lines in the water ( we had a group of kids out for an event ).

Local Grampa type guy rolled up in his car and told us they were not running the aerators this year to kill off the lake and rid it of perch.

My guess is you are better off trying somewhere else.

e40water12
04-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Ive being there at Vegreville pond. There is fish in the pond. I wouldn't waste the time to travel out that far. Better off hitting up the NSR. If you want to try out the Vegreville pond. Nothing the special for Perch sizes. Last year I caught 1.5 rainbow.

Good Luck.

Vega21
05-23-2014, 02:13 PM
It winterkills every year apparently. Ive always done well there. Wait we are talking about the one east of QE2 right and not the pond right by the giant egg.