PDA

View Full Version : Hunting and recreational ATV/UTV/SXS

korie83
04-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for my first atv/utv/sxs and I'd like some opinions and feedback. I am looking for a unit that is going to fill a number of different uses. Mostly I want a unit that I can get around on for hunting, strap the odd deer to the back, drag out something bigger if needed, and for non hunting situations something I can rip around on for fun.

I originally was thinking of getting a used quad in the $5k range, but I think I'm now leaning towards a SxS instead. I like the idea of being able to have a passenger ride with me, the automotive style controls, and they seem inherently safer. I'm not a crazed daredevil off roader, but I do like to have fun and get dirty.

So after the quad idea, I started looking at some different SxS options and the new Yamaha Viking stood out to me. However it seems massive, but I like the versatility of this unit, and I trust the Yamaha name. However these 50" sportier style SxS's have got my attention now. I like both the Polaris RZR 570 Trail and Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail. The 50" wide units can go anywhere a quad can, seem to be capable enough to drag out any kind of game, and for non hunting duties appear to be fun to rip around on. The other big advantage is these fit in my truck box, so I can take my travel trailer and the SxS when I go camping.

So the basic breakdown as far as what has crossed my mind:

Used Quad - Pros: Cheap ($5k or less hopefully), small enough to fit in truck, probably enough to get the job done. Cons: No passenger, safety concern, fun factor, used reliablity.

Yamaha Viking (or similar) - Pros: Ultimate utility unit, space for 3, payload/storage/etc, and tough. Cons: HUGE (requires trailer), expensive, not as sporty, must also buy a trailer.

RZR or Wildcat Trail - Pros: Quad size, fits in truck, cheap for SxS, versatile, sporty and fun. Cons: Expensive still, limited utility function, small cab, limited storage

Anyways I'm just looking for some opinions so I can make an informed decision so please fire away!

Smokinyotes
04-04-2014, 11:22 PM
If you want a utility machine I would buy a Polaris ranger xp. If you want fun buy a rzr. I wouldn't touch a Viking.

Flight01
04-05-2014, 12:03 AM
I have a rzr 900 four seater. Not one of your options but I have also driven the 50" rzr in the 800 and was still a good machine. My vote would be look for a demo 570 rzr or a demo 800 ranger. As said above the Ranger is more utility and rzr more fun but their paths do cross.... The benefit of the demo is reduced price, usually some options already added, and factory warranty starts from the day you buy it(not from when the dealer was using it).

Good luck

skidderman
04-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Whatever you do if you buy an arctic cat buy two. One to use, one for parts.
I do think all of the side by sides have more mechanical problems simply because they are heavier, you can drive it faster & go through more than a quad but at a cost. Had several honda quads and the last one was change oil and drive. Now have a polaris ranger and a few things have come up in a short time however a side by side is more like a little mini truck. The one thing I do feel is I can drive my side by for several hours without getting worn out vs a workout with a quad.

Ice Fishing Maniac
04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
The Viking is not much wider than a Rhino. My Rhino with fender flares is as wide a Viking. I just recently purchased my Rhino in November-a used 2009 with a wack of accessories...PS/Fox FLoat Shocks/rear roll cage and seat, plus other. It was my buddy's so I know it was treated very good, he is a Yamaha dealer. I bought the Rhino over a new quad so I could take the family out, my 2 young boys love it!!

We have used Rhinos at moose camp since the come out. I think as of last year, we had 3 Rhinos and 1 Viking. Great units overall.

IMO, Razors are for sport, not set up for utility/hunting.

willycharles
04-05-2014, 12:26 PM
An Argo may not be on your option list but may justify a three minute thought. A six wheel Argo can fit in the box of a pick up with the tail gate down. They can pull a bull moose out of the bush. You can fish from it albeit not as comfortable as a fishing boat might be to some. They can climb you out of a lot more than other atv vehicles with four wheels won't. Can seat four adults simply. There are several Argos for sale used and they can be accessorized the same as other atv vehicles and more in some circumstances ie. tracks.

bezzola
04-05-2014, 07:11 PM
If you want real problems buy a Polaris

obsessed1
04-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Bombardier traxter. Long wheelbase honest two seater quad. All the power you need and comfort for two riders. Plus it fits in 8 foot truck box.

Smokinyotes
04-05-2014, 07:34 PM
If you want real problems buy a Polaris

Why? What are the real problems that I can expect if I buy a Polaris.

Jims71duster
04-05-2014, 08:48 PM

No more than any other make,,, ignore it

coreya3212
04-05-2014, 09:48 PM
If you want a utility machine I would buy a Polaris ranger xp. If you want fun buy a rzr. I wouldn't touch a Viking.

Why? Why would you not touch a Viking?

jungleboy
04-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Have a Midsize Ranger 800 which I really like. I am also a big fan of Yamaha .I bought a Rhino last year with the intention of selling my Ranger. I took the Rhino out for a couple of days hunting at the start of the bird season last year.I brought it home put it for sale and kept the Ranger. Sorry to all the die hard Rhino guys but they just don't compare favorably with the Ranger. Unstable under powered and loud. I really wanted to like the Rhino .

As for the Viking if they are running the same tired 700 single that was in the Rhino what's the point? It already struggles in the Rhino.

My 2cents Flame away:)

Smokinyotes
04-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Why? Why would you not touch a Viking?

Yamaha never made any changes to the rhino for years, probably because it was the first side x side and they sold tons of these. Even when other manufacturers started producing more competitive models yamaha didn't change anything. I found the rhino to be very underpowered compared to any of the other OEM's. The rhino rode really rough, shifted terrible and brakes were poor if you compared it to the Ranger, Teryx, commander or prowler. Then finally yamaha hyped everybody up about an all new model that was coming out.. They introduced the Viking. The same 700 engine with minor mods. IMO the Viking is just a glorified larger version of the Rhino.

Torkdiesel
04-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Used to run a 700 rhino. It was loud, hot, the brakes are terrible and there was only room for 2 people. Lack of power was never an issue for me though, if it can spin all 4 tires locked up in low it's got enough power for me. I did look at the new Viking yesterday and it looks like they've improved some of the issues but I'm not sold.
I use a Ranger XP browning edition now. Great power, quiet, the full steel cab is solid and it doesn't get to warm. The power steering is awesome and it's comfortable to ride in all day.
I still use Honda 4 wheelers for the really rough stuff, they take a beating and just keep going and going. I just wish Honda had put more effort into their side by side.

curtz
04-06-2014, 08:33 AM
I have a 2007 Artic Cat Prower 650 H1, I've used it for everything, acreage chores, recreational riding, chicken hunting, dragging moose out of the bush, ice fishing, etc. I have never had a problem with it, A lot of guys say to stay away from them, but I think it is the newer 1000 cc ones that have the problem.

Dona
04-06-2014, 08:44 AM

My 2013 Polaris Ranger XPS purchased in October spent all of November in the Shop. Engine Codes came on in March and the Ranger went into the Shop 3 weeks ago. Polaris has NO parts supply and little Dealer Support.
My John Deere Gator was Purchased 4 years ago just needs Gas and Oil.

Smokinyotes
04-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Has anyone owned or tried a John Deere RSX 850i? I haven't tried one but definitely like the looks of them. They are not to big. They have cast A arms so bending them shouldn't be a problem. High quality shocks. I will try one before I buy another sidexside.

Torkdiesel
04-06-2014, 09:00 AM
My 2013 Polaris Ranger XPS purchased in October spent all of November in the Shop. Engine Codes came on in March and the Ranger went into the Shop 3 weeks ago. Polaris has NO parts supply and little Dealer Support.
My John Deere Gator was Purchased 4 years ago just needs Gas and Oil.

Did the engine shut down from the engine codes ??? I've never seen one on mine. What dealership are you dealing with ? Polaris is U.S. they should have parts for you the next day.

nsmitchell
04-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Yamaha never made any changes to the rhino for years, probably because it was the first side x side and they sold tons of these. Even when other manufacturers started producing more competitive models yamaha didn't change anything. I found the rhino to be very underpowered compared to any of the other OEM's. The rhino rode really rough, shifted terrible and brakes were poor if you compared it to the Ranger, Teryx, commander or prowler. Then finally yamaha hyped everybody up about an all new model that was coming out.. They introduced the Viking. The same 700 engine with minor mods. IMO the Viking is just a glorified larger version of the Rhino.

How did it shift badly? It is belt driven...no shifting. Anyone try the new Honda? Like the hide away seats in the box but have not ridden in it.

macee
04-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Has anyone owned or tried a John Deere RSX 850i? I haven't tried one but definitely like the looks of them. They are not to big. They have cast A arms so bending them shouldn't be a problem. High quality shocks. I will try one before I buy another sidexside.

X2 Also John Deere has 0% interest for 36 months on them till the end of April

jungleboy
04-06-2014, 12:49 PM
I test road one at the dealer here in Stony Plain. Lots of power and very responsive but it was pretty loud and it is quite heavy compared to other machines. The salesman said they are out selling his rhino line.

korie83
04-06-2014, 01:37 PM
So I went out and looked at some units and while I've narrowed down what I like, I still have concerns.

I know for sure I prefer the rzr 570 over the wildcat trail. Mostly based on looks and aftermarket support. And I like that the rzr is a proven platform, unlike the wildcat trail which I'm sure will have its growing pains.

I also ruled out the Viking, just way too big. But this pointed me to the ranger mid size.

Finally a quad is still an option due to size and price.

My biggest concern now is if I can find a way to fit the bigger sxs units in my truck box and tow my travel trailer.

I have a ram 3500 mega cab with 6'4" box, and I know my tailgate gets in the way of my trailer jack when it's down. So I'm not sure if I can find a way to fit the longer rzr or ranger in or on my box and still hook up the trailer. Any one have ideas? Also will a quad like a sportsman or grizzly fit with the gate up?

jungleboy
04-06-2014, 02:40 PM
So I went out and looked at some units and while I've narrowed down what I like, I still have concerns.

I know for sure I prefer the rzr 570 over the wildcat trail. Mostly based on looks and aftermarket support. And I like that the rzr is a proven platform, unlike the wildcat trail which I'm sure will have its growing pains.

I also ruled out the Viking, just way too big. But this pointed me to the ranger mid size.

Finally a quad is still an option due to size and price.

My biggest concern now is if I can find a way to fit the bigger sxs units in my truck box and tow my travel trailer.

I have a ram 3500 mega cab with 6'4" box, and I know my tailgate gets in the way of my trailer jack when it's down. So I'm not sure if I can find a way to fit the longer rzr or ranger in or on my box and still hook up the trailer. Any one have ideas? Also will a quad like a sportsman or grizzly fit with the gate up?

This is what i did to haul my side x side in a short box GMC . I still have this unit if your interested .It may have to be modified to fit in front of the wheel wells on your dodge and you do have to have the tailgate off.

korie83
04-06-2014, 03:11 PM
This is what i did to haul my side x side in a short box GMC . I still have this unit if your interested .It may have to be modified to fit in front of the wheel wells on your dodge and you do have to have the tailgate off.

Have you used this setup while pulling a travel trailer? Looks to me like the ramps might still make contact with the trailer on turns...

Is it possible to side load a rzr or ranger with a sled deck? or would that be too wide?

jungleboy
04-06-2014, 03:19 PM
I made it for that purpose . the ramps are not out as far as a tailgate and they could actually be shortened up a little more as you can see by the picture. I bought a 5th wheel now so it is of no use to me now

Bassett
04-06-2014, 04:46 PM
If you want a reliable work horse buy a Honda Foreman. We have put a calf moose on the back rack, pulled out elk and bull moose behind it. Then come summer we wheel the hell outta it.

Like state above don't go with a Polaris, youll see more of them left in the woods than anything and the yamahas have brutal axles.

jungleboy
04-06-2014, 05:33 PM
If you want a reliable work horse buy a Honda Foreman. We have put a calf moose on the back rack, pulled out elk and bull moose behind it. Then come summer we wheel the hell outta it.

Like state above don't go with a Polaris, youll see more of them left in the woods than anything and the yamahas have brutal axles.

I always find it funny how the owner of a particular brand always says the other guys are left in the bush while their machine always makes it. I have dragged Hondas out with my Polaris I have dragged Cats out with my Polaris and my Yamaha. I have dragged Polaris out with my Polaris I have been on the Polaris dragged out by a Polaris. The point is they all break they all get stuck and they all have their good and bad points

And for the record I hauled a calf moose out ona Polaris 250 trailblazer 2 wheel drive, that is no great feat lol:)

pseelk
04-06-2014, 05:53 PM
I always find it funny how the owner of a particular brand always says the other guys are left in the bush while their machine always makes it. I have dragged Hondas out with my Polaris I have dragged Cats out with my Polaris and my Yamaha. I have dragged Polaris out with my Polaris I have been on the Polaris dragged out by a Polaris. The point is they all break they all get stuck and they all have their good and bad points

And for the record I hauled a calf moose out ona Polaris 250 trailblazer 2 wheel drive, that is no great feat lol:)

x2.

Bassett
04-06-2014, 05:56 PM

Im not a particular owner basher at all. I have rode with all machines and polaris has had the most damage on the trails. A few of my friends replace the back axle on their Yamaha. Its not bashing its just knowledge acquired on the trail.

So stop hoping on everyone who mentions polaris because you obviously are the specific brand owner preaching for your preference.

and PS anything hauled out with a polaris is a great feat ;) haha:sHa_shakeshout:

jungleboy
04-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Im not a particular owner basher at all. I have rode with all machines and polaris has had the most damage on the trails. A few of my friends replace the back axle on their Yamaha. Its not bashing its just knowledge acquired on the trail.

So stop hoping on everyone who mentions polaris because you obviously are the specific brand owner preaching for your preference.

and PS anything hauled out with a polaris is a great feat ;) haha:sHa_shakeshout:

I've Owned cat Yamaha,Polaris,Suzuki and Honda. There was a time I swore I would never own another Polaris .The new machines have little in common with the older ones though. I wasn't jumping on you for mentioning Polaris either . I said they all break and they all get stuck . If you read closely you would notice I even said I have had my Polaris dragged out too I will concede though, I have never heard a bad thing about your Honda and I am sure it's the one quad that rules them all.:)

Bassett
04-06-2014, 06:27 PM
I've Owned cat Yamaha,Polaris,Suzuki and Honda. There was a time I swore I would never own another Polaris .The new machines have little in common with the older ones though. I wasn't jumping on you for mentioning Polaris either . I said they all break and they all get stuck . If you read closely you would notice I even said I have had my Polaris dragged out too I will concede though, I have never heard a bad thing about your Honda and I am sure it's the one quad that rules them all.:)

Sorry I misunderstood but I am glad you came to agreement that MY HONDA is the best :sHa_shakeshout:. Everyone at some point or another will break something. My quad has too but I don't treat it like the normal quad owner. I ride it hard and it stands up to the torture. He has for opinions so I shared mine. Im glad you like your polaris and it fits your needs.

But quite a few people will admit Honda does have the reliability. I have swamped my engines full of water and it has fired up shooting a stream of water out of the exhaust and I rode it home. I do have a video as well. Hondas can be abused and reused. That's why I ride RED.

jungleboy
04-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Sorry I misunderstood but I am glad you came to agreement that MY HONDA is the best :sHa_shakeshout:. Everyone at some point or another will break something. My quad has too but I don't treat it like the normal quad owner. I ride it hard and it stands up to the torture. He has for opinions so I shared mine. Im glad you like your polaris and it fits your needs.

But quite a few people will admit Honda does have the reliability. I have swamped my engines full of water and it has fired up shooting a stream of water out of the exhaust and I rode it home. I do have a video as well. Hondas can be abused and reused. That's why I ride RED.

Hmmm i'll keep that in mind if I ever see it on the buy sell forum:)

Yup I admit the worst quad I ever owned was a 300 cc 2stroke Polaris It was my first .I bought it used and abused and spent my whole time replacing everything . I would say the best was a Yamaha 400 Kodiak belt drive. that thing was bullet proof and I embarrassed a lot of hopped up mud machines with that little 400. Now I ride side x sides for comfort and I feel that Polaris has the best bang for the buck.

korie83
04-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Lots of great opinions here. And I think this is great evidence that there is no best choice. Doing research on every make and model brings up flaws and problems. I think if there was truly one best atv out there it would be obvious, and just like any product or industry there isn't.

One thing I will say, Honda does seem to held highest as far as reliability and toughness. But they definitely lack in terms of features, power, bells, and whistles, compared to other brands.

MagnumMan
04-07-2014, 07:08 AM
I would have a look at the Honda Pioneer the option of the folding rear seats is somthing no one else has. Its not a powerhouse but a beltless tranny and the fact that Honda keep it simple is somthing i really like in my Rubicon over other fancy machines.

Dona
04-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Did the engine shut down from the engine codes ??? I've never seen one on mine. What dealership are you dealing with ? Polaris is U.S. they should have parts for you the next day.

Power Steering Shut down, not the motor. Common Problem since 2012. No after 3.5 weeks they still do not have Parts from Polaris USA. Dealership says this is common! i will at this point not mention the Dealerships name as they are trying. Yes it should take 1 day not a month!

Bassett
04-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Hmmm i'll keep that in mind if I ever see it on the buy sell forum:)

Yup I admit the worst quad I ever owned was a 300 cc 2stroke Polaris It was my first .I bought it used and abused and spent my whole time replacing everything . I would say the best was a Yamaha 400 Kodiak belt drive. that thing was bullet proof and I embarrassed a lot of hopped up mud machines with that little 400. Now I ride side x sides for comfort and I feel that Polaris has the best bang for the buck.

If I ever rode SxS I would have to get a RZR. I don't think id be able to spend the Commander or Maverick type money.

Torkdiesel
04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Power Steering Shut down, not the motor. Common Problem since 2012. No after 3.5 weeks they still do not have Parts from Polaris USA. Dealership says this is common! i will at this point not mention the Dealerships name as they are trying. Yes it should take 1 day not a month!

I've never heard of the power steering failing other then a guy that was running tracks and burnt out the steering motor. I would be calling another dealership to ensure they are indeed trying their best to get the parts. Seems very strange.

Dona
04-07-2014, 10:03 AM
I've never heard of the power steering failing other then a guy that was running tracks and burnt out the steering motor. I would be calling another dealership to ensure they are indeed trying their best to get the parts. Seems very strange.

http://www.rangerforums.net/forum/polaris-ranger-xp900/11233-xp-900-power-steering-trouble-need-assistance.html

Try this thread.

korie83
04-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Hey I also have another question about this atv/utv market.

Anyone able to share negotiating experiences with dealers? I'm curious what I should expect to knock off in price. And if anyone has a dealer recommendation that would be awesome.

Just on initial tire kicking seems that a dealer near athabasca had the best initial price on the rzr.

Smokinyotes
04-07-2014, 03:58 PM
So I take it you've decided on a RZR. Riverside in St. Albert are selling Polaris now so they are in competition with Cycle works. I would check out both.

Bassett
04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
The salesmen in Riverside are very good to get along with. My brother bought his last quad there. With that being said the parts guys don't know their arse from their elbow, but that's another rant!

jungleboy
04-07-2014, 05:21 PM
I have always been treated very well at Cycle works west in Acheson. But that's me and I have dealt with them for many years. Others seem to think they have been treated badly there. I think it depends on the attitude you go in there with. I have gone to them with prices from other dealers that are lower and they always match. I like that they don't play the Freight and PDI game.