PDA

View Full Version : Inflating pfd

Lund rebel
04-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Well since having the bigger boat now and using it more going was looking at new pfd's for the year. Saw a few different brands some don't have recharge kits others do. I am leaning to mustang as the fishing hole sells them and have kits. I see the have membrane and hydrostatic options

Looking for users opinions on any brands options

Thanks

Walleyedude
04-06-2014, 08:57 PM
I bought a Mustang Hydrostatic a few years ago and I LOVE it. It's the only lifejacket that I don't mind wearing in any and all weather conditions, whether it's brutally hot or I'm putting it on over 5 layers of clothing and rain gear. The hyrdrostatic inflation gives me the confidence that it will work if the time ever comes that I need it, and won't leave me with any false alarms.

In fact, I like mine so much I bought one for my wife (she loves it too, way more comfortable than a normal lifejacket) and I've recommended them to everyone I know. They're expensive, but they are definitely worth the price. I bought both of mine at The Fishin' Hole.

Lund rebel
04-07-2014, 06:33 AM
That's the info I was looking for, saw the mid and hid options, can't put a price on my safety, you just reassured what I was already thinking.

Lefty-Canuck
04-07-2014, 07:29 AM
My Dad and I each bought an inflatable jacket....what sparked it was at the time I think my Son was 8 and we were going out fishing. He asked why he had to wear a life jacket and "Pops" and I didn't....there really wasn't a good reply to his question other than ....yes we should be wearing life jackets.

They are quite comfy and I can actually fit my fly vest over top of it.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/Fathers_Day_2012/P1000073.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/lefty-canuck/media/Fathers_Day_2012/P1000073.jpg.html)

LC

Ebrand
04-07-2014, 07:30 AM
I wear one at work when I am on the boat. Great in the hot weather. Comfortable. Allow a full range of movement.

Bought some for personal use and love them there too.

They are comfortable, cool. and easy to wear.

So their are NO EXCUSES for not wearing them. They store very easily as well.

A little expensive but well worth the investment. Wearing a pfd is not optional for anyone on any boat I am running. Might as well be comfortable too.

Take the time to ensure they are properly worn and maintained.

I spend a lot of time on the boat and fell they are well worth the investment.

FishingFrenzy
04-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Do you guys go with the model that self inflates or the one where you have to pull the cord?

Just wondering how those self-inflating ones work? Can it get set off from getting splashed?

Lefty-Canuck
04-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Do you guys go with the model that self inflates or the one where you have to pull the cord?

Just wondering how those self-inflating ones work? Can it get set off from getting splashed?

They won't inflate when splashed....there is a little plug that dissolves that needs to be otally immersed before it will fully dissolve is my understanding.

LC

Walleyedude
04-07-2014, 08:28 AM

I would never go with the manual inflating model, I'm surprised you can buy them quite frankly. If you're hitting the water wearing one of these, chances are it wasn't on purpose, and I do NOT want to have to consciously inflate my lifejacket. Most likely the water is very cold, very rough, or I just got bounced out of the boat somehow. Pulling the cord to inflate your lifejacket isn't always possible or second nature, especially if you're not a strong swimmer, in shock/hypothermic, or you just knocked yourself out on something.

I've heard stories of the little plug dissolving in a downpour or when stored away in a really wet compartment and setting off the lifejacket. I'm guessing it would be pretty rare, but I have fished in conditions where it was so wet in the boat I might as well be swimming in the lake, so that's why I went with the peace of mind the hydrostatic inflation gives you.

AlbertaAngler
04-07-2014, 08:44 AM
I've heard stories of the little plug dissolving in a downpour or when stored away in a really wet compartment and setting off the lifejacket. I'm guessing it would be pretty rare, but I have fished in conditions where it was so wet in the boat I might as well be swimming in the lake, so that's why I went with the peace of mind the hydrostatic inflation gives you.

This is where the hydrostatic model shines. It relies on water pressure not the dissolvable plug to inflate. It doesn't go off until 5 inches underwater. Above water you can get it as wet as you want.

Lefty-Canuck
04-07-2014, 08:46 AM
This is where the hydrostatic model shines. It relies on water pressure not the dissolvable plug to inflate. It doesn't go off until 5 inches underwater. Above water you can get it as wet as you want.

Can that one be transported on an aircraft?

LC

cube
04-07-2014, 08:47 AM

Mustang has 2 kinds. One is Hydrostatic and gets triggered by water pressure and the other has a tablet that dissolves in a second or two. neither one will trigger if splashed or in the rain.

The Hydrostatic ones are much more expensive and do not have any real advantages over the tablet ones (info from the Mustang rep). The hydrostatic recharge kit is also much more expensive. Hence, I have 2 of the M.I.T jackets. The MIT's are also less stiff and more flexible so in my opinion more Comfortable.

Both jackets can be inflated by pulling the cord, jumping in the water, or manually by inflation tube.

You should manually inflate your jacket at least one or twice per year to make sure you did not get any holes from fish hooks etc during use or storage. You also need to replace the charge kits every few years (3-5 if I recall) Hence why I also did not get the Hydrostatic one (as the recharge kit costs allot more than the MIT and when you’re doing more than one it can really add up).

In case some of you are not aware, in Canada unlike regular PFD's they are not approved unless they are on you. i.e. if you’re in your boat on the water and have them on a seat or in a storage bin they will not count as a PFD when you are stopped unlike a regular PFD.

One last point for the most part they also have much better flotation than most PFD's If I recall most PFD's have about 17 pounds of floatation while the inflatable’s have 35 and hence act as a life jacket and not just a PFD (i.e. if unconscious they will turn you over on your back).

cube
04-07-2014, 08:52 AM
My Dad and I each bought an inflatable jacket....what sparked it was at the time I think my Son was 8 and we were going out fishing. He asked why he had to wear a life jacket and "Pops" and I didn't....there really wasn't a good reply to his question other than ....yes we should be wearing life jackets.

They are quite comfy and I can actually fit my fly vest over top of it.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/Fathers_Day_2012/P1000073.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/lefty-canuck/media/Fathers_Day_2012/P1000073.jpg.html)

LC

I trust you do not zip up your fly vest when wearing your inflatable PFD. It would make breathing if triggered under other clothing, unless that vest/clothing is exceptionally baggy, very difficult

cube
04-07-2014, 09:05 AM

When I spoke with the Mustang rep I asked him specifically about this, as I had heard the same stories. He laughed and said that he sell lots of the "tablet" kind to west coast salmon guides who he guaranteed me get in a lot of heavy down pouring rain many days of the year and they don't have a problem with them.

I know for myself I have been in heavy rain quite a few times and have never had it trigger yet under those conditions.

RavYak
04-07-2014, 09:27 AM
In case some of you are not aware, in Canada unlike regular PFD's they are not approved unless they are on you. i.e. if you’re in your boat on the water and have them on a seat or in a storage bin they will not count as a PFD when you are stopped unlike a regular PFD.

Down in Florida a guy told me you can wear these but have to have a regular one in the boat as well. Is it the same here?

cube
04-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Down in Florida a guy told me you can wear these but have to have a regular one in the boat as well. Is it the same here?

As long as you have it on it counts as a PFD and you would not require an extra PFD in your boat.

Lefty-Canuck
04-07-2014, 10:14 AM
I trust you do not zip up your fly vest when wearing your inflatable PFD. It would make breathing if triggered under other clothing, unless that vest/clothing is exceptionally baggy, very difficult

Definitely leave it open, just like in the pic :)

LC

JohninAB
04-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Timely thread as I am looking at getting one right now. Standing on the front casting deck I am always nervous about going for the big splash. I find the normal PFD's hot and uncomfortable for casting.

cube
04-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Timely thread as I am looking at getting one right now. Standing on the front casting deck I am always nervous about going for the big splash. I find the normal PFD's hot and uncomfortable for casting.

Then you'll love the inflatables, esp on those hot calm days.

Lund rebel
04-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Looking like I will be getting 2-3 tonight.

thumper
04-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Great in a kayak too - no back 'cushion' pushing you forward in the seat. My only problem with them is that my flyline likes to tangle around the manual inflation handle.

wellpastcold
04-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Definitely a huge step forward! Only type on my boat. Passengers never complain about wearing them unlike the old bulky ones. Absolutely get the automatics. I'm not sure why they even sell the manual type, they seem like they would be a liability to the manufacturer.

cube
04-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Definitely a huge step forward! Only type on my boat. Passengers never complain about wearing them unlike the old bulky ones. Absolutely get the automatics. I'm not sure why they even sell the manual type, they seem like they would be a liability to the manufacturer.

The Manual ones a far less expensive for activities where you might expect to "fall into the water" say like Kayaking or canoeing. With the Manual ones you just need to replace the CO2 cartridge which is relatively cheap.

Walleyedude
04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Mustang has 2 kinds. One is Hydrostatic and gets triggered by water pressure and the other has a tablet that dissolves in a second or two. neither one will trigger if splashed or in the rain.

The Hydrostatic ones are much more expensive and do not have any real advantages over the tablet ones (info from the Mustang rep). The hydrostatic recharge kit is also much more expensive. Hence, I have 2 of the M.I.T jackets. The MIT's are also less stiff and more flexible so in my opinion more Comfortable.

Both jackets can be inflated by pulling the cord, jumping in the water, or manually by inflation tube.

You should manually inflate your jacket at least one or twice per year to make sure you did not get any holes from fish hooks etc during use or storage. You also need to replace the charge kits every few years (3-5 if I recall) Hence why I also did not get the Hydrostatic one (as the recharge kit costs allot more than the MIT and when you’re doing more than one it can really add up).

One last point for the most part they also have much better flotation than most PFD's If I recall most PFD's have about 17 pounds of floatation while the inflatable’s have 35 and hence act as a life jacket and not just a PFD (i.e. if unconscious they will turn you over on your back).

Good info, especially about them not counting as a PFD unless they're being worn. Manually checking them is something I don't do often enough either.

I do know of one guy that had his Mustang inflate in the boat one night, so it's not impossible, but pretty rare. It wasn't a big deal, $25 and a bit of hassle later the problem was solved. The HIT system is pricey at $100 more, but one advantage of the hydrostatic system is it requires no maintenance or replacement for 5 years vs. the 3 years for the MIT, so the cost for the re-arm kits is basically a wash long term.

That being said, I agree, I'd probably save the $100 each and go with the auto inflate version of the MIT system unless you're really hard core and you intend to be out in the very worst of conditions. They're a little lighter and more comfortable too.

Either way, you can't go wrong with anything that's more likely to get you to wear your life jacket at all times.

Don Andersen
04-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Couple things:

1) inflatable personal floatation devices may not be DOT approved for the boat you are operating. Check the DOT approval on the inside of the device for what it is approved.
2) inflatable personal flotation devices sold from the USA may not be DOT approved for use in Canada although these devices may be sold at large American Outdoor Box stores. If the label does't display a DOT #, the device could get you ticketed in some areas.

Don

Walleyedude
04-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Couple things:

1) inflatable personal floatation devices may not be DOT approved for the boat you are operating. Check the DOT approval on the inside of the device for what it is approved.
2) inflatable personal flotation devices sold from the USA may not be DOT approved for use in Canada although these devices may be sold at large American Outdoor Box stores. If the label does't display a DOT #, the device could get you ticketed in some areas.

Don

I just checked mine. It is DOT Canada approved.

It does say it must be worn to qualify as a PFD and is not legal for use on a personal watercraft or whitewater raft. Other than that, no other restrictions that I can see.

cube
04-08-2014, 09:51 AM

LC

This is what it says in the Mustang MIT manual

"AIRLINE OPERATOR POLICY ON CARRIAGE OF
INFLATABLE PFDS AND CO 2 CARTRIDGES
Please be aware that the following regulations apply to the air transport
of this product. According to U.S. Research and Special Programs
Administration Regulations Title 49 CFR 75.10(a)(25): With the approval
of the aircraft operator, one small carbon dioxide cylinder fitted into
a self-inflating jacket, plus one spare cartridge, may be carried by a
passenger or crew in checked or carry-on baggage.
Please refer to the governing body’s documentation, found online at
http://hazmat.dot.gov.
23 Inflatable PFD Owner’s Manual"

There might be a simalr work around for Canada as well

cube
04-08-2014, 10:55 AM

LC

Just called CATSA and self inflating lifejackets are fine to take on planes. The guy on the phone steared me to the website which states

"Self-inflating life-jackets Carry On Baggage: Yes Checked Baggage: Yes
-See more at:
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/complete-item-list?nid=13270&field_wtp_category_tid=All#sthash.3EzKqQPu.dpuf"

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/complete-item-list?nid=13270&field_wtp_category_tid=All