PDA

View Full Version : The answer seems obvious...

2big4u
10-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Ice Augers, could a guy get by with a hand auger (first season). or should I just man up and buy a gas unit? Any suggestions would be great.

Dan

Appletree
10-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I've only ever used a hand auger, and that was a few years ago now. They're hard work, I certainly remember not wanting to drill more than two holes when the ice was thick.

On the plus side, they're a great way to warm up.

graham1
10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Hand augers aren't that bad. If the ice is only a foot or two thick and the blades are sharp they go pretty quick. You want to pick your spot however, you don't want to move around much, it's work. I'v never had a power auger, but I've seen guys use them and they look pretty slick. I'm just to cheap.

viral_override
10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
I use the hand auger too but I saw on you tube a guy who make a bit to a hand drill and did it that way.

has anyone tried this? I d think it would burn out the drill

bsmitty27
10-22-2008, 04:16 PM
keep your blades sharp and it is all good I have gone out with old dull blades only once and will never do it again. it truned a 45 sec job into a 15 min sweat.

They are small easy to store,cary and don't need fuel or break down.

good luck

seahawkfisher
10-22-2008, 04:35 PM
new blades every year and a hand bomber is good for me; a lot lighter if you are walking in too
cheers

Off in the Bushes
10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
It all depends on what you are fishing for, for trout I would use a smaller hole so cutting with a hand auger is easier. But if you are cutting a 8" hole with a hand auger it gets to be hard work, also I noticed from the people that I fish with that short people (under 5'8") have a more difficult time cutting hole as they can not get their weight on top of the auger to start cutting a hole. By the time that you are done cutting two holes in 18" ice your arms are going to feel like they are going to explode they are so pumped with blood.
I have tuffed out a bad fishing in poor hole because I never had the energy to cut more holes.
Costco had some Eskimo Auger for $330 a while back, that is money well spent in my opinion.
The other factor is where you are fishing is it walk in only or can you drive to the lake or on the lake.

SNAPFisher
10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Since it is your first year, going with the manual auger is less of an investment until you see how you like the ice season. Maybe you will hate the hard water seasion :wave:

If you like it and are intested in more, then the gas powered solution might be for you. I have an 8 inch and 10 inch power augers. I like to be mobile when things aren't going my way and it certainly helps to be able to drill a hole quickly and often. I didn't invest in power augers until my 3rd year.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
10-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Ice Augers, could a guy get by with a hand auger (first season). or should I just man up and buy a gas unit? Any suggestions would be great.

Dan

My answer to your question . Go with the hand auger the first year I did . Then when you gotta drill threw 3 feet of ice and are Un happy when your shoulders and elbow is sore after drilling 3 holes . But continue to do it the following day or weekend . This year I had luckly fell upon a great deal , Im very lucky for that otherwise id be without and well Ive moved to the power variety.

10-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Since it is your first year, going with the manual auger is less of an investment until you see how you like the ice season. Maybe you will hate the hard water seasion :wave:

If you like it and are intested in more, then the gas powered solution might be for you. I have an 8 inch and 10 inch power augers. I like to be mobile when things aren't going my way and it certainly helps to be able to drill a hole quickly and often. I didn't invest in power augers until my 3rd year.

Its my 20th year and well my 5th on my own and just got a power auger and well Ive moved to the luxuary of a great life . :D:D:D:D:D . I got a 10 inch aswell .

redneck posse
10-22-2008, 05:44 PM
just do like i did untill i bought a gas auger i fished with guys that had one..wait a month and you will find them cheap on the buy/sell thread, as some guys will sell their old one because they got a new one.

SuCraM
10-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Well I say power auger for sure. I went on a few outings last season with my manual auger and all I have to say is what a workout. Hand ones are ok if you are only going to drill a couple holes and stay in one place for a while but if you want to move around alot which does increase your odds of catching more fish than it is well worth the investment to get a gas or electric auger. I am going to save my pennies for the next few months and look for a deal on a decent used one unless I come across a good deal on a new one.

10-22-2008, 06:07 PM
just do like i did untill i bought a gas auger i fished with guys that had one..wait a month and you will find them cheap on the buy/sell thread, as some guys will sell their old one because they got a new one.

Heck Ill sell mine if the offer is right .

10-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Well I say power auger for sure. I went on a few outings last season with my manual auger and all I have to say is what a workout. Hand ones are ok if you are only going to drill a couple holes and stay in one place for a while but if you want to move around alot which does increase your odds of catching more fish than it is well worth the investment to get a gas or electric auger. I am going to save my pennies for the next few months and look for a deal on a decent used one unless I come across a good deal on a new one.

you know you guys whine and cry but drilling manual holes , just burns the callories from all the beer and sausage we eat and drink . :lol::lol:Look at me im in the best shape of my life . Thanks JIFFY :lol::lol:

graham1
10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
you know you guys whine and cry but drilling manual holes , just burns the callories from all the beer and sausage we eat and drink . :lol::lol:Look at me im in the best shape of my life . Thanks JIFFY :lol::lol:

6" hole, sharp blades and don't move around much and your fine. Remove any one and you'll need lot's of BBJ's fuel!

2big4u
10-22-2008, 06:55 PM
6" hole, sharp blades and don't move around much and your fine. Remove any one and you'll need lot's of BBJ's fuel!

See my avatar? I'm not the Mexican......:D

A little sweat is okay.

10-22-2008, 06:56 PM

Lmao thats funny , Well if your like me you dont wanna sit around one hole for long esspecially if things are quiet . Quiet is good for an hour nap or something but , I don't like to sit around to much always on the move if things are quiet . But this year im super equipt , got my quad , with my fish finder power auger , under water camera heck I wont even hardly have to step off my quad . Its a bench and everything in one . :D:D:D:D:D:D Joy oh joy .

camshaft
10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
I've got a 8" hand auger (fin-bore w/ new blades) Havent used in a few seasons as I now have a 10" gas jiffy. Will sell for a case of quality beer if interested.

Located in NW Calgary.

graham1
10-22-2008, 07:15 PM
I guess I should poing out that all I use is a hand auger but I almost never catch anything.

Maybe I should move around?

10-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I guess I should poing out that all I use is a hand auger but I almost never catch anything.

Maybe I should move around?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I wont , say nothing , but ill give ya a pat on the back and say you answered your own question . The only time i sit in one place is if i know its a place that holds fish . Otherwise im moving .

graham1
10-22-2008, 07:57 PM
"poing out?" guess fishing isn't the only thing I'm not real good at

calgarygringo
10-22-2008, 09:33 PM
When you get old like some of us and like to fish for big fish with 10 inch holes the manual one just does not cut it. Then near the end of the year you have 30 inches if ice to go through it didn't take us long to split the finances and buy a power auger.

deanmc
10-22-2008, 09:49 PM
I used a 8 inch hand auger for two seasons. Have a 10 inch jiffy now. But the most important thing to have is a spud. Never ever go on early ice without one. Unless you are going to very remote lakes there is almost always some holes you can open up with the spud. A hand auger doesnt work well for reopening holes.

The Anvil
10-22-2008, 11:42 PM
I have always used a hand auger, every now and then If I'm with someone who has a gas auger I'll ask them if they could drill a hole or two.

I have been Icefishing for almost 20 years and my father always used a hand auger. One day when i get tired of being tired...lol I will by one.

I think BBJ can remember me cutting holes last year, start off wearing a hoodie and sooner or later move on to just a t-shirt after drilling holes is close to three feet ice. You get hot sweaty and it drains ya, your arms fill up with blood and they hurt after 3-5 holes.

Hand Augers are great for when the Ice isn't more than 18-20 inches other than that you want to get into a gas auger, makes it easier to cut more holes if you are moving around alot. Won't drain you out.

Gas augers are very handy if you don't have to carry it around for a long distance.

I love this action shot of me with my Eskimo II i think this is...
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/484ced73.jpg

Winch101
10-23-2008, 08:00 AM
I sold my heavy Jiffy 10" last year and I am going to try and get

a new Strikemaster 4 strk Strike Lite ...18 Lbs ... I dont know where I am going to get it in canada .... That big jiffy just too heavy for an old guy :lol:

Flip
10-23-2008, 06:45 PM
To me it's a simple question. Do you want to catch fish? Then go with gas and increase your catch rate. Save the hand bombing for the tree huggers and lets burn some gas!
Cheers:evilgrin:

Alberta Bigbore
10-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Buy a hand auger this year, save your pennies and buy an IceGator next year and attach it to it.

pecker
10-24-2008, 07:07 PM
I used a 8 inch hand auger for two seasons. Have a 10 inch jiffy now. But the most important thing to have is a spud. Never ever go on early ice without one. Unless you are going to very remote lakes there is almost always some holes you can open up with the spud. A hand auger doesnt work well for reopening holes.

reopening holes with an auger -- i found out is very hard on your blades.;) :wave:

Winch101
10-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Sold My Jiffy last year and picked up yesterday

The Strikemaster .... Strike Lite 4 strk ..... 8 "

auger .... $579.00 ...at WSS 80 bucks cheaper than

the fishin hole ....

I have only used Jiffys for 40 yrs...or more ...

so I will interested to see how this goes ....

The 07 mdl. got pretty good reviews on Ice Shanty .com

Augers in general have taken quite a jump in price ...

FisherPotch
10-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Depending accordingly on whether im hiking and how, far I'll carry either or. If I'm driving to the location I bring both. As reliable as the jiffy's are it never hurts to have a back up. I went through two sets of blades for my hand auger last year alone. Them ice gators look to be impressive.

2big4u
01-02-2009, 09:41 AM
going shopping today.
Took us 1 hour to drill 3 holes yesterday. at shop rate I could have bought a gas auger with the time we spent. We never did get the other 3 drilled so we missed out on 1/2 the fish we could have had.

oh and a fillet knife. filleting with an OLFA utility knife suks.

Okotokian
01-02-2009, 10:00 AM

Dan

You mean wimp up and buy a gas unit. What would Chuck Norris use??? :D

2big4u
01-02-2009, 10:08 AM
The fish break through the ice to get in his truck as he drives by.:lol:

deanmc
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM
going shopping today.
Took us 1 hour to drill 3 holes yesterday. at shop rate I could have bought a gas auger with the time we spent. We never did get the other 3 drilled so we missed out on 1/2 the fish we could have had.

oh and a fillet knife. filleting with an OLFA utility knife suks.

:lol::lol:
Yah I tried the hand auger too. Turns out I am more of a gurlie man than I wanted to admit.;)

2big4u
01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
yeah "wimp up." I'm cool with that. :lol:

I hope I see you on the ice with you hand auger:tongue2::wave::lol:

(tune of farmer in the dell)

Hole drilling I will go
a Hole drilling I will go
Hi-Ho the dairy oh...
HOLE PUNCHING I WILL GO!!!
:):):):):):)

The Fisherman Guy
01-02-2009, 11:33 AM
My suggestion is buy new blades for your hand auger and save the money and frustration that a gas COULD give you problems. Even a dull hand auger can still drill a hole, A gas auger that won't start will not.

Plus it is a good workout; I can drill through 24' of ice in under a minute with my hand auger, you can do the same. Just my two cents...

fluxcore
01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
My suggestion is buy new blades for your hand auger and save the money and frustration that a gas COULD give you problems. Even a dull hand auger can still drill a hole, A gas auger that won't start will not.

Plus it is a good workout; I can drill through 24' of ice in under a minute with my hand auger, you can do the same. Just my two cents...

A good gas wont give you any problems and if it does its not hard to take it somewhere and have it tuned up. Its a good work out:lol: If you want to keep up with me your going to need a head band, water bottle and some protien shakes its not uncommon for me to drill 20+ holes in one morning looking for fish. Since I got my jiffy I can and do drill out more holes in a day than I would in a year with my hand auger:evilgrin: Theres no question with a power auger you catch more fish.

briverb
01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Been ice fishing for over 20 years. Once you get the technique right, a hand auger is just fine. Up until 2 years ago I only used hand augers. I have 3 of them at 6, 7 and 8 inches. The 7 inch was excellent until the blades went dull and I cannot find blades for it here. ( it's an HT ) The 8 inch is an offset handle that I cannot use very well due to my height handicap ( 5' 6" :) ) The 6 inch is the Eskimo hand auger and when the blades are sharp, it cuts very well.

But then again, if you plan on moving around a lot and drilling lots of holes in a day, then a power auger would be the way to go. Also, trying to guide a 20lb pike through a 6 inch hole can be fun.

Decided to get the 8 inch Eskimo Stingray power auger from Costco 2 years ago. Good price, lightweight and has never had a problem starting. Just to be prepared I always have the 6 inch hand auger as a back up; or on occasion, when I have a someone who has never been ice fishing before with me I pretend that the power auger won't start and tell him to drill a hole with the hand auger. Those are the best times. :)

Okotokian
01-02-2009, 11:54 AM

But then 2Big4U wouldn't be so big! :lol:;)

Just teasin' ya Big. If I was interested in sitting for hours on ice looking at a hole I'd probably buy a gas auger too. :D

rustynailz
01-02-2009, 01:31 PM
If you ever decide to do a long trip, a reliable hand auger is always good to have with you. Keep the blades razor sharp and it's no big deal to cut with.

I wouldn't trade my Lazer Mag Express for anything though...it goes through 18" of ice in under 30 seconds. The shaving blades are the only way to go.

Albertadiver
01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
We've always used hand augers. I've got an 8" and just had the blades sharpened by the mobile knife sharpener guy. It's work, but I don't mind considering we've had this same auger for about 30 years, and right now $500.00 or more for a gas rig is a lot of money for the 5 or 6 times a year I get out on the ice.

2big4u
01-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Back from WSS with my new..... Lazer 8" by Strikemaster. Talked to the guy at the store for over 30 minutes talked about a few and in the end I decided to try the hand powered unit again. He promised 24" in under 5 minutes.:) I will try it out this weekend and if it is as bad as my first one I will be returning it and leaving with a power auger.

The lesson I learned from this is that an auger you buy for a 6 pack probably won't hold an edge for too long. ( 2"-3" it would seem ):lol:

Shmag
01-03-2009, 01:04 AM
ice augers, could a guy get by with a hand auger (first season). Or should i just man up and buy a gas unit? Any suggestions would be great.

Dan

man up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deanmc
01-03-2009, 01:12 AM

I have drilled 25 holes to find fish in a lake I dont know. How fast do you crank the hand auger after 24 holes? If it is still less than a minute all I can say is "Yes sir":scared:

lilsundance
01-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Buy a hand auger this year, save your pennies and buy an IceGator next year and attach it to it.

Does a fella find an ice gator and how much. They look alright.

Kingfisher
01-03-2009, 02:30 AM
See my avatar? I'm not the Mexican......:D

A little sweat is okay.

Hey I've got a hell of a deal for you. I have both a hand auger and a power one. I never use the hand auger any more. I believe it's a 6" one. You can have it for $20 if you want it.

I'm in Calgary. Give me a shout if you want it. (403) 831-3474

Nerdapres'
01-03-2009, 06:26 AM
If you get a hand auger, get the kind that has the offset handles, not the kind with one handle and a red knob on top. The kind with only one handle is useless. I have both and only use my offset handled one. I'm 6'3" I don't understand the height issue someone else has. The offset handles let you use both arms to power through the ice.

And I get my blades sharpened every fall. Any saw shop is the place to take them. Don't try to sharpen them yourself. Spend the $10 bucks to get a pro to sharpen them. If in Calgary, take them to Carbide Saw Service. They sharpen 'em so good it's quite dangerous putting them back on the auger, wear gloves.

Big Red 250
01-03-2009, 06:48 AM
A 8" hand auger is a cheap investment. Go for it. You can always buy a power auger later on. Then you'll have a back-up to throw in the truck.

BigBuck$
01-03-2009, 09:43 AM
A 8" hand auger is a cheap investment. Go for it. You can always buy a power auger later on. Then you'll have a back-up to throw in the truck.

Excellent idea. I went out once and my power auger would not run (had a bad plug). I ended up borrowing an auger from another fisherman on the lake otherwise it would have been a wasted trip.

xtabo.media
01-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I wont go out without a power auger. i like to locate and pound a many holes as i can, so i can located humps,drops, holes, weeds, rocks, etc. this wouldnt be possible with a hand auger unless your iron man. haha
but if your just going out to put a line in your hole, a hand auger will do the job.

skain11
01-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Diver, have you got a name or number or price of the sharpener dude?...I have a six inch that has cut thru 2 feet in 60 seconds a few years ago,. It then rested with a guard for 2 years until a few weeks ago. We took it out and it took more than 5 minutes to cut 9 inches. Seems sharp but was only grabbing a bit. Perhaps it is out of angle?..Amyone?...thanks for the info...for the couple of times a year I get out green is good for me...sk

Big Red 250
01-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Sometimes you have to put a shim under the blade of the hand augers to make them really cut. I've done it B4 for myself and others.