PDA

View Full Version : Any advise on a yukon hunt/guide

graymatter
04-07-2014, 02:24 PM
I am looking into a Yukon hunt this fall.
haven't quite decided yet, but its gonna be 2 out of these 4.
Bison, Caribou, Moose, Dall Sheep
got last years reg on line and read this

To hunt big game,
Non-resident Canadians must be guided by a registered Yukon outfitter OR guided by a Yukon resident holding a Special Guide Licence.

then I decided to look for guides and found most are extremely expensive as they run full outfitter operations.
some as high as $20,000 for a Dall sheep hunt, and in U.S funds.
I looked at 5 in total and did not see one under $6000.00 for a one animal hunt. transport there was fully your cost as well as harvest fee's, so it did make for an expensive hunt

holy smokes !!! this is Canada and I live here, I gotta be able to drive up to the Yukon, hunt Bison and Caribou for 6-8 days and drive back to Calgary without it costing in the thousands

I am wondering if anyone has any info where a fellow could hook up with some locals on line who are Yukon residents and hold a Special Guide Licence.
that for a small fee can accompany a non resident Canadian on a week hunt.

any advise, past experience, would be appreciated.

thanks

Graham

Torkdiesel
04-07-2014, 02:45 PM
What you're proposing is against the law, probably won't get much help breaking it online in a public forum. Save your pennies and book with an outfitter, they are good at what they do. If you search the forum for past threads you'll find some reputable names of outfitters up north.

drake
04-07-2014, 02:52 PM
lol....

great thread!

Sorry i cant help you......

This is really funny to me

"holy smokes !!! this is Canada and I live here, I gotta be able to drive up to the Yukon, hunt Bison and Caribou for 6-8 days and drive back to Calgary without it costing in the thousands"

I sincerly hope you find a good cheap option to fullfill your Yukon dreams

Don K
04-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Lmao!!
Good luck with that. There's a cap to how many non resident hunters are hosted every year and once a resident hosts they can't do it for another 3 years!! The only way to hunt sheep and goats up there is with an outfitter and there's no way to hunt a bison...
Save your pennies!

Alaska is a cheaper option than the Yukon.

Don K
04-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Another option is to head up there and marry one of the many native ladies and accompany her on a sustenance hunt. Carcross would be where I'd start. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

brohymn2
04-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Another option is to head up there and marry one of the many native ladies and accompany her on a sustenance hunt. Carcross would be where I'd start. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lol

Torkdiesel
04-07-2014, 08:48 PM

I'd suggest Ross River, one of the cousins would take real good care of him ;)

elkdump
04-07-2014, 09:00 PM
I'd suggest Ross River, one of the cousins would take real good care of him ;)

I know a FN guy from up there , he has 3 ex-wives living in those valleys, I think his youngest ex-wife has 3 kids and 5 grand-kids, she would probably be ripe for taking herself a new husband , she is genuine FN and likes to dance and smoke fiss and make moose jerkee ! lol

Chase 22
04-09-2014, 08:07 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....no such thing as a deal in the Yukon.

hawken
04-09-2014, 08:41 PM
You can hunt Buffalo for free here. Sheep for $53 and Moose for $33 or so.
The only 2 options for Yukon Caribou are an outfitter or the equivalent to the hunter host program.

35 whelen
04-10-2014, 07:47 AM
They sold out all 100 hunter host tags in the YUKON in 6 days this year for moose im told, not much chance of getting one of those even if you knew someone up there,