PDA

View Full Version : no licsence....no excuses.

waterninja
04-08-2014, 06:33 PM
we all know that this new liscencing protocal has had some hiccups. today i was on the nsr at hermitage. it was a gorgeous day for some fishing. a fellow showed up with his gear. said he was planning this day for some fishing but he had gone to cnd. tire, husky and cabelas and none of these issuers could access the system. he was very upset about not being able to buy his licsence and decided to fish anyways. Sure enough fish cops showed up and while they were polite and curteous they held on to his rod and walked him back to the parking lot. not sure if he got a ticket (i asked, 115.00) but they might have just given him a warning.
i know it seems obvious, no licsence=no fishing, but when you can't purchase one it's kind of tough.

Lefty-Canuck
04-08-2014, 06:36 PM
I would expect nothing less....you gotta pay to play. He could have bought it online....

LC

Redfrog
04-08-2014, 06:36 PM
I had the same issues two years ago. system crashed in hunting season. I had clients try to buy licenses. no way. Went to F/W spoke to the warden about possibly getting some kind of permit till the system was fixed. No way. If you hunt without a license you get the ticket. I had two very unhappy tourists.

greylynx
04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
I would love to see a court case on something like this.

Apparently the gentleman did his due diligence. And he has proof.

A story like this would make a good smear piece against the elitist PCs.

hal53
04-08-2014, 07:02 PM

he did his due diligence?, he says he tried to buy a license, but couldn't?, so he goes fishing anyway????....I hope they charged him, bought mine online today, and sil picked his up at Canadian Tire this morning...:thinking-006:

SCHOOCH
04-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Last year i get setup walk to one of my favourite spots on the bow , answered a phone call just before i walked into the water, looked at the date on my cell and said a couple choice words cause its was April 2nd and just realized i forgot to get my new license. Walked all the way back to my truck (300 yds) and was met on the way by F&W officer who watched me from a distance. He asked me how i was doing and i explained i forgot to renew and he sorta laughed at me and said he was waiting for me to make my 1st cast to come check me out.......i dodged a bullet but if i did throw a line and got a ticket i would only blame my dumb butt !!!!! No excuse

Double-Eh
04-08-2014, 07:59 PM

His due diligence is to get a licence and not fish until he has it. Period.

bigdirt
04-08-2014, 08:27 PM
how about a PDF copy of the license on the cell phone?

biggelaar22
04-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Right from the fisheries act:

Due diligence defence

78.6 No person shall be convicted of an offence under this Act if the person establishes that the person
(a) exercised all due diligence to prevent the commission of the offence; or
(b) reasonably and honestly believed in the existence of facts that, if true, would render the person’s conduct innocent.
1991, c. 1, s. 24.

Now if this particular individual wants to try this defence for not having a licence and still goes fishing, all I will say is good luck, I look forward to reading the case if there is any value to it, cause this situation is not exercised due diligence, but rather negligence and I fully believe that everyone around here has caught on to it, no licence = no fishing. Seems simple, right?:shark:

Northern Bob
04-08-2014, 08:38 PM
I can understand his frustration. One year I was very tempted to go goose hunting on opening day without a federal migratory bird stamp. The post office didn't get them for several days after the beginning of the season. Months for them to print and get them out for September 1st and they couldn't get it done on time. The next post office is a 2 hour drive and I don't think they had any either. I didn't go without one, went grouse hunting instead, but it was tempting.

JReed
04-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Good luck proving that you attempted to buy a fishing license, the only way would be to subpoena the guy selling it at the store. Even then, the charge is fishing without a license, not attempted to buy a license but fished anyway.

Either way, dumb move on this guy's part

bobalong
04-08-2014, 08:50 PM
I had the same issues two years ago. system crashed in hunting season. I had clients try to buy licenses. no way. Went to F/W spoke to the warden about possibly getting some kind of permit till the system was fixed. No way. If you hunt without a license you get the ticket. I had two very unhappy tourists.

I think that all of the places I have been where a "system" crashed, and can not recall one where the "system" owner ever tried to please the customer. It would seem the "system" where ever it is, is completely void of any responsibility or even a plan, to make things right, at the time. They will fix it in due time, and the disgruntled party can just suck it up!

There are times when a retailer or business will try to accommodate a customer but the "system" seems to feel no need to have any kind of contingency plan in their operation.

tight line
04-08-2014, 09:15 PM
I tried 3 times on sunday.. System was shut down..2 days I tried.. I went anyways.. Was the only day i had to go for Spring Bulls! if i ran into a fish cop i would have shown him last years, explained that i have bought a licence every year of my life since i was 16, and my situation. If he wants to cut me a ticket and be a arse.. Fine with me :) the Beautiful Bulls i caught and released were Well Worth It! Lol pics to come!

And tried online as well.. I would have been fine getting a ticket, small price to pay for a day fishing IMO. people acting like this is some terrible offence, when it is clearly legit fishermen who are trying to do the right thing... Just like to complain!

hal53
04-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I tried 3 times on sunday.. System was shut down..2 days I tried.. I went anyways.. Was the only day i had to go for Spring Bulls! if i ran into a fish cop i would have shown him last years, explained that i have bought a licence every year of my life since i was 16, and my situation. If he wants to cut me a ticket and be a arse.. Fine with me :) the Beautiful Bulls i caught and released were Well Worth It! Lol pics to come!
atta boy!, its the fish cops fault cause you didn't get a license and you only had 1 day to fish.......really?... and the officer would be the arse?????...really????

tight line
04-08-2014, 09:30 PM
atta boy!, its the fish cops fault cause you didn't get a license and you only had 1 day to fish.......really?... and the officer would be the arse?????...really????

Like my edit says! Well worth my time! I put on 15km sunday, and had a great day. Ticket away! I know most of the CO's in the area and they probably wouldnt even ask.. Back to you HAL..

NEVER said it was their fault, but way to put words in my mouth...

hal53
04-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Like my edit says! Well worth my time! I put on 15km sunday, and had a great day. Ticket away! I know most of the CO's in the area and they probably wouldnt even ask.. Back to you HAL..

NEVER said it was their fault, but way to put words in my mouth...
"if he wanted to cut me a ticket and be an arse"????...okay, enjoy.......

tight line
04-08-2014, 10:07 PM
"if he wanted to cut me a ticket and be an arse"????...okay, enjoy.......

The system being down is not their fault.. Realizing certain circumstances is up to them...and i wouldn't have said a word or raised a brow if i got a ticket. I know there is no difference between Being caught bonking walleye with no licence or hiking out of the mountains with a rod empty handed... But gee maybe there is.

Im willing to bet if i gave promise to buy a licence when possible and scan to him he would be fine with it in this circumstance.. The BIG 115.00 question!!!

JohninAB
04-09-2014, 06:03 AM

And tried online as well.. I would have been fine getting a ticket, small price to pay for a day fishing IMO. people acting like this is some terrible offence, when it is clearly legit fishermen who are trying to do the right thing... Just like to complain!

Break the law knowingly and if caught and charged the officer is the bad guy. Fairly sound logic there.

chriscosta
04-09-2014, 06:28 AM
We shouldnt have to count on a "system" and our fishing liscnese should be more tban a reciept ...it should be like a drivers card where you get a written one to use while you wait for the "system" to do theyre thing... not saying this guy was right or wrong ...I actually dont care lol..just sayin theres ways around the problem ...when you lose the reciept aka fishing liscense they charge you for a new one ...it seems like a stupid system all together ..they should be better funded imo

livefortherut
04-09-2014, 07:25 AM
What's the big deal? He tried to get it and couldn't, fishing licenses are just a money grab anyway!!

chriscosta
04-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Open water seasons here these people need to get their things together ..I think its bs that a guy cant get a fishing liscence due to incompetance ...

Lefty-Canuck
04-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Open water seasons here these people need to get their things together ..I think its bs that a guy cant get a fishing liscence due to incompetance ...

Why wouldn't he get it online from the comfort of his home?

LC

AppleJax
04-09-2014, 08:19 AM

I compently bought mine online. On my recliner in my underwear....:)

JohninAB
04-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I also purchased mine from the comforts of home online, fully clothed mind you. No issues, no concerns.

nekred
04-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Wow!.... lots of holier than thou folks on this thread.... some people don't live in an online world... while sitting at home in their recliner in their underwear!... Thanks for that picture :)

I have experienced smilar issues... with a migratory bird permit... The lady at the post office gave me a letter showing that I at least made the attempt to purchase one...

I also went to BC to go fishing and so i had to go to all ends to get a license but the store could not print one.... so I took a picture of the license application and kept the receipt from the store so I was able to show due diligence.....

Lefty-Canuck
04-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Sorry officer the system was down, was going to tag this deer tomorrow when I was able to purchase a license and tag....:)

Sorry officer the system was down, was going to purchase a fishing license tomorrow but I wanted to fish today :)

LC

tight line
04-09-2014, 09:13 AM

LC

I have bought mine online in the past, i could not access the website at all sunday.

To anyone trashing me. I really don't care. Like i said i was fully willing to pay a ticket, i am always straight up and honest with CO's, and that goes a long way.

Lefty-Canuck
04-09-2014, 09:23 AM
I have bought mine online in the past, i could not access the website at all sunday.

To anyone trashing me. I really don't care. Like i said i was fully willing to pay a ticket, i am always straight up and honest with CO's, and that goes a long way.

Wasn't really trashing you per se, if you are willing to accept a ticket for not having it them that's your decision.

No different than if I have a suspended license and I decide to drive....I have to be willing to accept the consequence of being caught.

My wife got a ticket for failing to produce documentation when she couldn't find the insurance card...it was in the car she couldn't find it, still got a ticket. The cop even called the insurance company to confirm she had insurance.

LC

nekred
04-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Sorry officer the system was down, was going to tag this deer tomorrow when I was able to purchase a license and tag....:)

Sorry officer the system was down, was going to purchase a fishing license tomorrow but I wanted to fish today :)

LC

I understand what you are saying and that is hard to prove.... how about Sorry officer I don't have my license because the store sprinter was not working but here is the receipt and a picture of the screen showing a license app was submitted.....

Either way it is still the officer's call whether due diligence is present or not.... then if officer issues a summons then the judge's call....

Due diligence is really absence of negligence.... In your first two cases there is no backup for thus hard to disprove negligence....

AppleJax
04-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Wow!.... lots of holier than thou folks on this thread.... some people don't live in an online world... while sitting at home in their recliner in their underwear!... Thanks for that picture :)

I have experienced smilar issues... with a migratory bird permit... The lady at the post office gave me a letter showing that I at least made the attempt to purchase one...

I also went to BC to go fishing and so i had to go to all ends to get a license but the store could not print one.... so I took a picture of the license application and kept the receipt from the store so I was able to show due diligence.....

How is buying my license holier than thou?

waterninja
04-09-2014, 11:08 AM

LC
i consider myself fairly intelligent but i'm old school and have real problems with computers. a lot of people don't have the skills or equipement to do everything online. right now i would not be able to buy and print out my hunting or fishing licsense, but i still manage to muddle along.
what really concerns me is when they do away with printed copies of the hunting and fishing regs. when i'm out in the field i am regularrly checking the regs. as to what is and is not allowed.
of course i still use inches and feet when measuring and still haven't learned to speak french. lol

nekred
04-09-2014, 11:21 AM
How is buying my license holier than thou?

Exactly!

kirbstomps
04-09-2014, 12:52 PM
its ok, i went to get my drivers liscense, but the DMV was closed.... so i drove anyways....

kinda like the same situation, right?

i would be ticked off too, but it is what it is... no-go unless you have the proper documentation, plain and simple. although i do see both sides of the issue on this one.

cube
04-09-2014, 02:30 PM
its ok, i went to get my drivers liscense, but the DMV was closed.... so i drove anyways....

Not even close to the same situation!
If all drivers licences all expired on the same day and every car, truck, and rig had to park until they straightened out a problem that they created and had over a year to get ready for I’m sure they would give a reprieve for a few days, until they got their problem fixed at least. And that is what should be happening here. To me if the home computer option has hiccups I can see them saying that one should go to an SRD office or retailer to get their licence as that is and has been the gold standard but in this case that very system was down (and the computer system is still very spotty at least for me and 7 others that I have been trying to register for the draw). So in my opinion that officer should have been told that their system has been having problems adjusting and no tickets for fishing without a licence should be handed out until it’s fixed. And that officer either new they were having problems or should have known they were having licence issuing problems so should be ashamed of himself is he actually handed out a ticket. We do give and expect them to use reasonable judgement on such small things. I mean how many dollars would actually be lost in this year if they allowed licence free fishing until the end of the month. I would have to say they would lose next to nothing as who only fishes for the month of April and that’s it.

JMO

kirbstomps
04-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Not even close!
..I’m sure they would give a reprieve for a few days, until they got their problem fixed at least...
JMO

you're sure... or you know?

Its all hearsay till it happens to you, but to the CO's its black and white... no license no fishing... unless you can find in the regs about when computers crash its a free for all? and yeah, i was at canadian tire too and could'nt get my license, so i did it online. Fishing isnt a right, its a privilege

tight line
04-09-2014, 03:59 PM

i would be ticked off too, but it is what it is... no-go unless you have the proper documentation, plain and simple. although i do see both sides of the issue on this one.

I looked at it more like i was late renewing my drivers licence or registration.. Its a little different than never having a licence and driving, or having a suspended licence and driving.. That would be like fishing when you are banned from fishing. A little different. Like stated earlier, Comparing hunting without a licence and fishing without is not really in the same ball park, if it were the fines would be the same. Last i heard if you get caught with a untagged Elk, your looking at a little more than a 115.00 fine, might be a different story if you have never owned a licence and get caught with a big Sturgeon or Bull Trout in your vehicle. Either way doesn't make it justify fishing without a licence, but some of the examples stated are a little over the top for this situation!

This will be my 18th year buying a licence, and the first time i have been unable to purchase one. I seen a thread about ice fishing with a 2014 licence on the last week of march, without having a 2013 licence. Kind of a similar situation..

Wild&Free
04-09-2014, 04:08 PM
you're sure... or you know?

Its all hearsay till it happens to you, but to the CO's its black and white... no license no fishing... unless you can find in the regs about when computers crash its a free for all? and yeah, i was at canadian tire too and could'nt get my license, so i did it online. Fishing isnt a right, its a privilege

To the hundreds of millions of subsistence fishermen around the world, eating is a privilege...

tight line
04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Hey RELM let me in! Got my licence! Still unable to buy from stores as far as i know.

Lefty-Canuck
04-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Hey RELM let me in! Got my licence! Still unable to buy from stores as far as i know.

Crisis averted :)

.....on to the next first world problem!

LC

tight line
04-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Crisis averted :)

.....on to the next first world problem!

LC

Lol, yup!

slivers86
04-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Even online aint perfect, the site has been crashing on people... its terrible

ETOWNCANUCK
04-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Too bad we can't get our licsences and WIN card as one. Make it like a PAL with your photo.
Heck even a Costco card has your pic on it. Would save some headaches.

kirbstomps
04-10-2014, 06:51 AM
To the hundreds of millions of subsistence fishermen around the world, eating is a privilege...

please dont take my words out of context. Around these parts, if you have to buy a license, you're not considered a substance fisherman. If you can have your license taken away, its a privilege.

B_Type13X2
04-10-2014, 06:11 PM
lucky for me I'm a night owl bought my license on a whim last night at 2 am... was think, huh the rivers breaking up better buy my license. No issues at all with it.

And on a Tangent I don't see the point in the WIN card at all if it doesn't link all our current licenses to it. We shouldn't have to carry a paper license at all with that card, the officer should be able to simply ask for the WIN card and punch in the number and our picture/ Current licenses should all be listed there. I guess what I'm getting at is our win card should be more like a drivers license.

cube
04-10-2014, 06:33 PM
lucky for me I'm a night owl bought my license on a whim last night at 2 am... was think, huh the rivers breaking up better buy my license. No issues at all with it.

And on a Tangent I don't see the point in the WIN card at all if it doesn't link all our current licenses to it. We shouldn't have to carry a paper license at all with that card, the officer should be able to simply ask for the WIN card and punch in the number and our picture/ Current licenses should all be listed there. I guess what I'm getting at is our win card should be more like a drivers license.

X2 That is exactly what we were told when they brought it in. We were also told it would be a once in a life time fee for the WIN card. But now it is just having to pay for a licence so you can pay for a licence very stupid IMO.

YeeHaw
04-10-2014, 09:03 PM
X2 That is exactly what we were told when they brought it in. We were also told it would be a once in a life time fee for the WIN card. But now it is just having to pay for a licence so you can pay for a licence very stupid IMO.

How elce could we afford to send our government officals or their kids around the world. Lol

Trev
04-20-2014, 01:27 PM
I love the online licensing option. Don't leave getting your license till the last minute incase there is a issue. A little planning can go a long way