PDA

View Full Version : I love gophers

stemorholake
04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
So I got permission from a farmer about 10km out of high river to hunt on his property and went after work today for the first time to see if I could get any gophers. I was there for about 2 hours and shot 33 gophers...33 that's freakin awesome. Back in Quebec I had groundhogs but they are not nearly as fun as these gophers. There was literally hundreds of them scurrying around the fields. Gopher shooting is so much fun...I cant believe what I've been missing. I even was able to hit two with one shotgun blast.

My next question......has anyone eaten them? I like to try everything just once and in my excitement tonight I forgot to grab one and bring it home.

Steve

H380
04-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Eat them ? SURELY YOU GEST .. lol .. I don't know about eating them , yes I do know..Disease ridden little rats , I wouldn't . But if you decide to I would leave the shotty at home , sounds like it doesn't leave much .

stemorholake
04-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Ya I was thinking about the whole desease thing to so I probably won't eat one. I was able to get pretty close to a couple of them with the 12 gauge and ya there wasn't much left, most of them were taken with the 22.

Smokinyotes
04-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Oh ya they are great. Absolutely mouth watering delicious.

Zuludog
04-09-2014, 12:00 AM
I heard they taste like chicken. :rolleye2:

michaelmicallef
04-09-2014, 04:40 AM
In all seriousness I bet they would be just as good as rabbit. Why not. I got some friends I'm sure I could fool into thinking their eating rabbit to test them out on. Ha just kidding.

Grizzly Adams
04-09-2014, 07:57 AM
In all seriousness I bet they would be just as good as rabbit. Why not. I got some friends I'm sure I could fool into thinking their eating rabbit to test them out on. Ha just kidding.

People apparently ate them during the depression. Wife's aunt even pickled them. :D

Grizz

Davey Boy
04-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Let Mikey try.....Mikey will eat anything. LMAO

recce43
04-09-2014, 09:21 AM
how to cook gophers
2 squirrels, about 1 lb. each, dressed and quartered Approx. 1 cup flour 6 bacon slices
Cooking the Squirrel
Put the squirrel quarters in a large pot of salted water. Bring the water to a simmer and cook the squirrel quarters over medium heat for 1 to 2 hours, until the meat is tender but not falling off of the bones.

Fry the bacon until crisp in a Dutch oven or a large cast-iron skillet.

trimdownclub.com 3
Remove the bacon from the pan and save it for another use, but leave the bacon grease in the pan.

Put 2/3 cup of the flour in a shallow pan or bowl and season it with salt and pepper.

Dip the squirrel quarters in the flour and fry them in the bacon grease on medium-low heat until they are browned on all sides. Add butter to the pan if there isn't enough bacon grease.
Serving With Squirrel Gravy
When the squirrel quarters are completely cooked, remove them from the pan, leaving about ¼ cup of the grease. Put the squirrel quarters in an oven on low heat to keep them warm.

Heat the grease in the frying pan on medium heat and add ¼ cup of flour to make gravy. Stir the gravy constantly, until it turns golden brown.

Add ¾ cup of cold water to the gravy and continue stirring until it thickens. If the gravy is too thick, add more water.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve the squirrel on a platter with the biscuits and serve the gravy on the side.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2093117_cook-ground-squirrels.html#ixzz2yP2chx35

gitrdun
04-09-2014, 09:36 AM
So I got permission from a farmer about 10km out of high river to hunt on his property and went after work today for the first time to see if I could get any gophers. I was there for about 2 hours and shot 33 gophers...33 that's freakin awesome. Back in Quebec I had groundhogs but they are not nearly as fun as these gophers. There was literally hundreds of them scurrying around the fields. Gopher shooting is so much fun...I cant believe what I've been missing. I even was able to hit two with one shotgun blast.

My next question......has anyone eaten them? I like to try everything just once and in my excitement tonight I forgot to grab one and bring it home.

Steve

Steve, I hunt gophers SW of town, near home. Sounds as though we might run into one another some day. You might consider entering the Doug Helber memorial gopher derby in Claresholm next year. I have a team in it this year, third season for me.

As far as eating them....you do realize they eat each other.

Davey Boy
04-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Anybody need any help getting rid of the gopher population?

Grizzly Adams
04-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Anybody need any help getting rid of the gopher population?

Haven't seen a single one around here, gotta wonder how they fared.

Grizz

marlin1
04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I skinned a couple gophers when I was young to practice tanning . Those suckers are greasy . But I guess some people eat rats overseas . I'll pass

shakeyleg02
04-09-2014, 05:08 PM
U guys let me know how they taste illl passs lol

recce43
04-09-2014, 05:11 PM
taste like chicken

stemorholake
04-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Steve, I hunt gophers SW of town, near home. Sounds as though we might run into one another some day. You might consider entering the Doug Helber memorial gopher derby in Claresholm next year. I have a team in it this year, third season for me.

A gopher derby!!! You serious? I'm gonna look into that for sure. I did not know they eat each other....I guess I will leave them off the menu.

recce43
04-09-2014, 06:25 PM
your team of gophers pull a chuck wagon

cotang
04-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Any link to this derby? Can't seem to find anything online.

Carbon Caster
04-10-2014, 03:06 PM
how to cook gophers
2 squirrels, about 1 lb. each, dressed and quartered Approx. 1 cup flour 6 bacon slices
Cooking the Squirrel
Put the squirrel quarters in a large pot of salted water. Bring the water to a simmer and cook the squirrel quarters over medium heat for 1 to 2 hours, until the meat is tender but not falling off of the bones.

trimdownclub.com 3
Remove the bacon from the pan and save it for another use, but leave the bacon grease in the pan.

Put 2/3 cup of the flour in a shallow pan or bowl and season it with salt and pepper.

Dip the squirrel quarters in the flour and fry them in the bacon grease on medium-low heat until they are browned on all sides. Add butter to the pan if there isn't enough bacon grease.
When the squirrel quarters are completely cooked, remove them from the pan, leaving about ¼ cup of the grease. Put the squirrel quarters in an oven on low heat to keep them warm.

Heat the grease in the frying pan on medium heat and add ¼ cup of flour to make gravy. Stir the gravy constantly, until it turns golden brown.

Add ¾ cup of cold water to the gravy and continue stirring until it thickens. If the gravy is too thick, add more water.

Serve the squirrel on a platter with the biscuits and serve the gravy on the side.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2093117_cook-ground-squirrels.html#ixzz2yP2chx35

Don't know about cooking Gophers, but this recipe above must have been stolen from my Grandmother!!!! Grew up in West Virginia hunting and EATING LOTS of Fox Squirrels...MOST were prepared this way by my Grandmother... GOOD STUFF...Those were Big Fox Squirrels that were living on nuts not the tiny Red Rats we have here that live on Spruce needles...Trust me they don't taste the same..

Gophers.....?
I will pass...and I have eaten, groundhog, raccoon, dog, cat, and porcupine...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Red Bullets
04-10-2014, 03:16 PM
When I read the thread title "I love gophers" made me chuckle..

Here in Canada people can't wait to blast gophers in the spring.
In other parts of the world gophers are a pet of prosperity.

If 'hunters' only realized gophers are worth up to 225 dollars each alive.
Even pet stores in Toronto import gophers for pets.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/stores-importing-gophers-to-sell-as-exotic-pets-1.325926

-------------------------------

I remember hearing that the early railway shipped smoked gopher back to the east as a delicacy.

Red Bullets
04-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Gopher derby?...in Alberta?
Wonder if I could enter my squirrel into the derby. He'd win for sure.

covey ridge
04-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I was there for about 2 hours and shot 33 gophers...33 that's freakin awesome.
Steve

Two hours and only 33 gophers and you are impressed? Wait till the end of May when the young are out! The grass may be a bit high but they will be everywhere:)

Gophers as table fare? Not this time of year! When the young put on their pre-hibernation weight from a steady diet of alfalfa they are better. Try smoking with the same kind of grass that they have been eating, but dried. You will need a whole smoker full to get enough for a couple bags of jerky or crispy critters.

lebluedragon
04-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Lol

gopher derby?...in alberta?
Wonder if i could enter my squirrel into the derby. He'd win for sure.

Big Daddy Badger
04-10-2014, 09:44 PM

Steve

Best thing to do is just shave the hair off of em put em in brine and then pickle them.
I save em for special occasions like when the in-laws visit.

I have 6 quarts of pickled gophers from 3 years ago .

I've been saving them for their next visit.:)

gitrdun
04-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Guys, the Claresholm gopher derby has been an annual event for many years. It is sponsored by many local businesses including an energy producer with many wells in the area. No, it isn't well publicized on the internet, but the teams fill up quickly. Typically up of 25 4 person teams. Lots of lady shooters in the mix. This years event is full. Top team takes home close to a grand. Many prizes, a BBQ and some good times to be had.

gitrdun
04-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Two hours and only 33 gophers and you are impressed? Wait till the end of May when the young are out! The grass may be a bit high but they will be everywhere:)

Gophers as table fare? Not this time of yuear! When the young put on their pre-hibernation weight from a steady diet of alfalfa they are better. Try sumoking with the same kind of grass that they have been eating, but dried. You will need a whole smoker full to get enough for a couple bags of jerky or crispy critters.

Fine, you do that. In the mean time, I'll head down to BP and have a cow sirloin.

How do you know that your table fare ate alfalfa. For all I know, he coulda ate his sister a minute ago.

wasteland.soldier
04-11-2014, 01:27 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be an anti, talking about how they love gopher-hugging, haha.

how to cook gophers
Cooking the Squirrel

trimdownclub.com 3

LOL I was sure you were just recycling your crow joke! Scrolled down confused, looking for the "now throw it out!"

I wouldn't eat anything that lives in a colony though. Proximity breeds disease. Pigeons are a good example. In the wild under natural pressures, they are great food ("squab"). Put them in a city with access to plenty of food and less raptor pressure and they become rats with wings.

Same with hare and squirrel. Good eating in the country, but dirty disease ridden animals in the city, because the carrying capacity is too high and so they live in close proximity to each other.

Same reason we had all the diseases to wipe out the natives. Cities (or in the case of gophers, colonies) equals disease.

Red Bullets
04-11-2014, 01:47 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be an anti, talking about how they love gopher-hugging, haha.

LOL I was sure you were just recycling your crow joke! Scrolled down confused, looking for the "now throw it out!"

I wouldn't eat anything that lives in a colony though. Proximity breeds disease. Pigeons are a good example. In the wild under natural pressures, they are great food ("squab"). Put them in a city with access to plenty of food and less raptor pressure and they become rats with wings.

Same with hare and squirrel. Good eating in the country, but dirty disease ridden animals in the city, because the carrying capacity is too high and so they live in close proximity to each other.

Same reason we had all the diseases to wipe out the natives. Cities (or in the case of gophers, colonies) equals disease.

This goes for humans too. Oddly enough the first settlers always said you only moved to town if you were too sickly or were too feeble to live in the country. Town and city was for the diseased and the weak of spirit & body.

covey ridge
04-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Best thing to do is just shave the hair off of em put em in brine and then pickle them.
I save em for special occasions like when the in-laws visit.

I have 6 quarts of pickled gophers from 3 years ago .

I've been saving them for their next visit.:)

No need to get delicate about shaving. I propane flame will singe the hair off just fine.

covey ridge
04-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Fine, you do that. In the mean time, I'll head down to BP and have a cow sirloin.

How do you know that your table fare ate alfalfa. For all I know, he coulda ate his sister a minute ago.

Are talking about Boston Pizza in town? Last steak sandwich I had there, the gopher may have been better:scared0018:

stemorholake
04-11-2014, 09:18 PM

Gophers as table fare? Not this time of year! When the young put on their pre-hibernation weight from a steady diet of alfalfa they are better. Try smoking with the same kind of grass that they have been eating, but dried. You will need a whole smoker full to get enough for a couple bags of jerky or crispy critters.

Hey for me that is impressive. Back home after a couple of groundhogs they would hide for a couple days. Now I can't wait til the end of May.

stemorholake
04-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Gopher derby?...in Alberta?
Wonder if I could enter my squirrel into the derby. He'd win for sure.

Holy crap those are freakin funny.

Groundhogger
04-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Hey for me that is impressive. Back home after a couple of groundhogs they would hide for a couple days. Now I can't wait til the end of May.

^I can vouch for that. :) Granted, I've also learned that if the weather is favorable...and you're patient, quiet, and in a spot west of your groundhog hole in the late afternoon...7/10 times they'll be back-up within 10-20 minutes. :) Not out of their holes entirely, just about half their head...out far enough to assess the risk. At 150-200 yards, that can be tough to detect, which is why I chuckle when I hear guys talk about groundhog hunting here and say "all you need is a 3-9x scope". True~if you only want to see a small percentage of the target opportunities. :)

covey ridge
04-11-2014, 09:53 PM

If you get in on a good shoot, all I can say is I hope you have enough ammo. A couple bricks is not too much for a day.