PDA

View Full Version : kootenay lake question

malang
04-09-2014, 01:38 PM
hi all i heard about a place on tke lake they call dolly varden alley can anyone tell me were about this may be. i will be around woodbury...thanks

deschambault
04-09-2014, 06:43 PM
I think that may be a stripper bar in Kaslo.

The Reel Deal
04-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I think that may be a stripper bar in Kaslo.

:sHa_sarcasticlol:
amazing!

rafhone
04-09-2014, 07:02 PM
That dosen't sound like a good spot to get a keeper, but make sure to post some pictures. And remember to watch your rod tip!

EZM
04-09-2014, 08:17 PM
I am not familiar with fihing that area of the Lake - I spend most of my time around Balfour but I will tell you what I know .....

Bull trout, locally referred to as Dolly Varden, are plentiful and easy to catch.

Troll a little deeper and a little slower (2.8-3.2mph) and you will be busy.

Lyman lures, Apexes and Hoochies will put you on fish. Experiment with colors but black, purple and Green/Yellow combinations work for me.

My favorite flasher is Oil Slick or Coyote Red/Silver or Black/Silver holographic - to match what I'm dragging.

For Kokanee - the ticket is a small hot pink Apex (kokanee killer) with a double hook. I run a snubber right behind a set of willow leafs (silver blade and pink rigging) off a 1oz mooching sinker to just keep it below the surface.

Have fun and post some pictures ......

fish gunner
04-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Cant say ive heard of it.. if there is a dolly spot its out fornt of the balfor light 300yrd jigging back in to the light . Out front of woodbury is as good a spot as any . Lot of big fish come out of the woodbury, riondell , powerline triangle . Imo 3.2 is a hair fast for bull 2.2 -2.8 for me . If the bites on do you pulls carefully as bulls will hit a static lure as you let out line. Good luck any ants out.

The Reel Deal
04-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Lyman lures, Apexes and Hoochies will put you on fish. Experiment with colors but black, purple and Green/Yellow combinations work for me.

For Kokanee - the ticket is a small hot pink Apex (kokanee killer) with a double hook. I run a snubber right behind a set of willow leafs (silver blade and pink rigging) off a 1oz mooching sinker to just keep it below the surface.

Have fun and post some pictures ......

What are Lyman's and hoochies?
Do you have a pic of your snubber rig?

Pudelpointer
04-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Are double hooks (2 single hooks) allowed on Kootenay Lake? I thought BC was single barbless province wide in all fresh waters?

Anyone?

EZM
04-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Lyman Lures .....

http://www.lymanlures.com/store/lures/?keywords=&filter%5B%5D=&filter%5B%5D=&filter%5B%5D=

Hoochies ......

http://lighthouselures.com/category/products/salmon-hoochies/

Snubber........

http://www.landbigfish.com/Luhr-Jensen/Luhr-Jensen-Dipsy-Diver-Snubber.cfm

Rigging .....

http://www.hotspotlures.com/booklet.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/how_7726826_set-up-freshwater-trolling-rigs.html

Rigging using a Dipsy Diver instead of Down rigger ....

http://www.fishingmoz.com/walleye-fishing/how-to-fish-with-dipsy-divers.html

fish gunner
04-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Lyman Lures .....

http://www.lymanlures.com/store/lures/?keywords=&filter%5B%5D=&filter%5B%5D=&filter%5B%5D=

Hoochies ......

Snubber........

Rigging .....

Imo dipsy divers are a good way to lose big bows ...sssnap.

rybak
04-10-2014, 08:50 AM
so much useful info for a newb like me
Thank you!

Northern Yaker
04-10-2014, 08:56 AM
I am not familiar with fihing that area of the Lake - I spend most of my time around Balfour but I will tell you what I know .....

Bull trout, locally referred to as Dolly Varden,

Really I would have expected you to know much better,if you spend time in BC fishing... oh well hope your not on the stewardship program.

Dolly varden and Bull trout are not the same, both char yes, different species completely.

Oh and single barbless in all flowing waters in BC. Lakes it's all dependant on the lake, but unless other wise stated on the table in the regs it's ok to use barbs, trebles and even lures with multiple hooks( cranks).

The Fisherman Guy
04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
What are Lyman's?

Handmade by Canadians out of Yellow Cedar since 1947. They are a plug, available in various clever color combinations. They produce a unique, erratic action that all predatory fish love.

They can also be tuned to produce specific action, unlike Rapalas, J-Plugs etc.

EZM
04-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Really I would have expected you to know much better,if you spend time in BC fishing... oh well hope your not on the stewardship program.

Dolly varden and Bull trout are not the same, both char yes, different species completely.

Oh and single barbless in all flowing waters in BC. Lakes it's all dependant on the lake, but unless other wise stated on the table in the regs it's ok to use barbs, trebles and even lures with multiple hooks( cranks).

I am aware of the difference between Bull Trout and Dolly Varden, and very well qualified to tell the difference, having achieved an undergraduate degree in Biology and some work experience in Fisheries Management, but thanks for the tip.

My comment was simply to respond to what the locals refer to as Dolly Varden when, in fact, they are Bull Trout (Salvelinus confluentus).

To take it a step further, both the sea run species of "Dolly Varden" (generally) and "Bull Trout" (generally landlocked), were reclassified in 1980.

As far as barbless hooks, I'm at a complete loss to see where this comment came from.

You might take note, as many others on this forum have, that I am a proponent of using single barbless hooks. You can search some past threads and see where I have commented on this issue.

As far as stewardship, former positions in local executives, etc... and my participation on such committees, I think some of my past work and involvement speaks for itself in this area.

It sounds to me, like perhaps, you might be 100% wrong here......and jumping to far fetched, and grossly erroneous, silly conclusions.

I don't know ........ what do you think?

Thanks for Trolling and subsequently derailing the thread - I'm sure the OP appreciates it.

Pixel Shooter
04-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Bingo on speeds.

This lake has not fished great this past fall or winter, so not quite sure whats going on with the kokanee and rainbows this past year, if locals are complaining . I hope things pick up and May gets decent. Still debating going for the girards north or south of the border in May but im going somewhere regardless LOL. I have fished this lake allot and for many years, really pay attn to weather , it is an ugly lake that can come up FAST. not to be taken lightly. Chop on that water is your friend :)

Cant say ive heard of it.. if there is a dolly spot its out fornt of the balfor light 300yrd jigging back in to the light . Out front of woodbury is as good a spot as any . Lot of big fish come out of the woodbury, riondell , powerline triangle . Imo 3.2 is a hair fast for bull 2.2 -2.8 for me . If the bites on do you pulls carefully as bulls will hit a static lure as you let out line. Good luck any ants out.

Northern Yaker
04-10-2014, 12:25 PM
EZ, the barbless comment was to the Fellow I believe who asked about it. He probably appreciated it.

kevinhits
04-10-2014, 12:27 PM
What are Lyman's and hoochies?
Do you have a pic of your snubber rig?

Pop over sometime and I will show you my set up for Kokanee

The Reel Deal
04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Pop over sometime and I will show you my set up for Kokanee

will do! been a while since we've had a soda

The Reel Deal
04-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Lyman Lures .....

Hoochies ......

Snubber........

Rigging .....

great post and info for downrigging newb's like myself.
looking at the hotspot site, do you prefer your flashers inline with your offering or separately off the ball?

do you use snubbers only when using dipsy divers/

i have 2 downriggers - are dipsy divers useless to me?

EZM
04-10-2014, 05:57 PM
I run the flasher or dodger in-line and prefer using a down rigger. I can see the benefit of having your line "free", running the flasher off the ball, and when fighting the fish but a flasher isn't a big deal really.

I sometimes will run one on the rigger and one dipsy 3 clicks left/right but it does pull hard and can be a pain in the butt. I prefer the riggers.

I generally limit the use of a small snubber for Kokanees ( almost 100% of the time ) as I am running braid on my smaller level wind gear - so a snubber is a big plus and increases my hook ups.

On occasion, when I'm missing strikes, and running braid on my mid sized gear, I might try using a snubber, "to see if my hook ups increase" - I don't see a huge difference - although it seems the smaller the fish, the better it works .... is my general rule of thumb.

My Bigger fish, like Salmon, are often caught on mono - so there is some stretch there on my big gear, so the use of a snubber is not generally required. Flasher and Coyote spoon with a single barbless hook is the preferred set up for me.

Bigdad013
04-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Not sure about Kootenay, but shuswap is single barbless, which means you can have, lets say a plug with 2 hooks, as long as they are single hook, barbless. If you are using a bucktail with 2 hooks, illegal as you are using 2 separate lines for the hooks on the bucktail.

This has been quite a debate in the Swap, even the F&W can't seem to agree on this. I have phoned most branches in BC, and come up with different opinions, none being the same. We have tried for 3 years now to have them clarify it in the regs as well to the officers. But to no avail. The fight continues.

fish gunner
04-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Bingo on speeds.

This lake has not fished great this past fall or winter, so not quite sure whats going on with the kokanee and rainbows this past year, if locals are complaining . I hope things pick up and May gets decent. Still debating going for the girards north or south of the border in May but im going somewhere regardless LOL. I have fished this lake allot and for many years, really pay attn to weather , it is an ugly lake that can come up FAST. not to be taken lightly. Chop on that water is your friend :)

Thank you kind all knowing one . X100 on the weather if your new to the big lake. If in doubt get to shore woodbury is a nasty spot to get to if you cant read the lake in bad weather. The points on the big lake can add 2' to a bad chop . Watch out for debris early in the year also. Check lines every 20-30 min or you could be just dragin sticks.

deschambault
04-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Kootenay is barbless but allows trebles. Woodbury isn't bad to get into in the wind, the East side marinas are way worse in my opinion. Watch for a south wind on Kootenay, all the big storms come from that direction.

Pixel Shooter
04-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Not convinced on that one but all have opinions, been caught in 10 ft chop more than once and for myself all from the north, when ferries stop running you know your in trouble. And if you don't have a 21ft or bigger boat, you will never get on top of the waves to drive out of it. Biggest issue bar none is not allot of places you can beach a boat even if you wanted to.

Regardless point of post is weather can change in a minute and to make matters worse, fishing seems to get really good just prior LOL. Been caught a few times and had no business being out there when knowing full well.

As far as dolly varden lane, cant say I have ever heard of it. Pretty difficult if using the right stuff not to catch a bull. If you are targeting rainbow and catching bulls, you know you need to pick up your speed. As far as rubber snubbers, as mentioned predominately used for kokanee. Trolling in front of the mouth on the proper side of the triangles, you wont go wrong and can actually be a ton of fun with lighter gear.

Kootenay is barbless but allows trebles. Woodbury isn't bad to get into in the wind, the East side marinas are way worse in my opinion. Watch for a south wind on Kootenay, all the big storms come from that direction.

Duramaximos
04-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Not convinced on that one but all have opinions, been caught in 10 ft chop more than once and for myself all from the north, when ferries stop running you know your in trouble. And if you don't have a 21ft or bigger boat, you will never get on top of the waves to drive out of it. Biggest issue bar none is not allot of places you can beach a boat even if you wanted to...

Hi Pixel.
Are you saying a smaller boat can't drive out of a 10 foot chop, or it is more difficult to do? Like most other boaters on the lake I don't operate a 21 footer so want to learn from others experiences rather than the hard way!!

deschambault
04-10-2014, 08:52 PM
I have an 18 footer and in big chop my side planer flipped - now my buddy had to bring it in before it cut under the boat and of course the waves were coming right over the sides. I put the engine in neutral but was watching very carefully. We weren't in any real danger but it did have its moments. I have been in exactly the same situation on Shuswap when a big storm hit and we had to just put up the top and ride it out with the waves - they came right over the bow if we went into them.

Pixel Shooter
04-10-2014, 09:21 PM
I run a 18ft boat and I can't get on top of the waves to get on throttle to stay on top, waves are too far apart. Taking the waves sideways and ride the waves like deschambault describes at slow speed is how I manage as well. Its a lake as a few of said that you have to really respect and be aware. when were talking 8-10ft waves, you cant see land lol, its not a great feeling.

Hi Pixel.
Are you saying a smaller boat can't drive out of a 10 foot chop, or it is more difficult to do? Like most other boaters on the lake I don't operate a 21 footer so want to learn from others experiences rather than the hard way!!

I hate it when the planers boards dive, deciding on trying the new weighted boards, going to pick up a set in Idaho when I fish Pend Oreille next month, supposedly they work great in calm or good chop, worst they will do is roll but not dive.
I have an 18 footer and in big chop my side planer flipped - now my buddy had to bring it in before it cut under the boat and of course the waves were coming right over the sides. I put the engine in neutral but was watching very carefully. We weren't in any real danger but it did have its moments. I have been in exactly the same situation on Shuswap when a big storm hit and we had to just put up the top and ride it out with the waves - they came right over the bow if we went into them.

fish gunner
04-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Thats the best fishing :) retune the boards watch the gps for speed . Or d pull in the boards and run hair old school. when you get the speed right the bow wash should clear the boat. Land water land water woohio fish on now ya got your self a fair fight. the fish does not want to get In the boat and you dont want to get out :sHa_shakeshout: not for the new boater or small open boats .

Northern Yaker
04-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Only the main body of Kooteney lake is barbless. And nothing about those having to be singles. The rest of lake trebles and barbs are ok.

plinker
04-11-2014, 03:17 PM
I lived on the lake in Riondel, across from Ainsworth. Please pay special heed to the guys telling you to watch this lake. It can get beyond scary in a very short period of time. Always keep an eye out for what they call "The line". When you see a line across the lake coming from the north, just start heading for harbour. Be careful thinking that you can just pull up to shore. Many spots on the lake where I fished, if you were literally three feet from shore you were in 90 feet of water. Your boat will be pounded. I have seen 15 foot whitecaps that destroyed our marina in Riondel one year. I have been caught out on the lake about 3 miles from home when a big wind came up. I was barely able to keep my boat from getting sunk. I had to run between the waves to keep her stable and went into Galena Bay to get away from the waves.
Now to talk about something happy. Make sure you buy a lure called the wedding ring if you are planning on doing any Kokanee fishing. A silver wedding ring with a maggot works wonders. Please note that I have been gone since 92 so check your regs as to using bait and such.
Looking for Dollies, go south of Woodburys on the West side and head for Coffee Creek. It is about 1/2 way between Ainsworth and Balfour. Troll about 70 yards out and just troll back and forth across the creek entrance.
Good luck and have fun.

On a side note, the worse the waves are on the lake, the better the action is for the bigger fish. I don't know why that is, but I used to watch the locals go out in 3 foot waves and catch Gerrards and Dollies every trip. My kahoona's just weren't big enough to be out in those kinds of conditions.

deschambault
04-11-2014, 09:03 PM
If you don't think this lake is dangerous, stop at the furthest south boat ramp on the east side and look at the plaque showing names of people that have died on this lake.

EZM
04-12-2014, 09:23 PM
I've been in some serious weather on that lake.

When the waves are so large, you can't see land, and are trying to navigate back, as every wave plows over your boat, while your bilge pump runs hard - it will scare you ......

Like someone mentioned - this lake is dangerous and there are very very few places you can come ashore due to the depth and giant rocks along most of the shoreline.

There are also very few sheltered areas along the main lake to take refuge.

Careful out there .... as soon as it gets ugly ..... head in.

The Fisherman Guy
05-04-2014, 10:19 PM
been caught in 10 ft chop more than once and for myself all from the north, when ferries stop running you know your in trouble. And if you don't have a 21ft or bigger boat, you will never get on top of the waves to drive out of it. Biggest issue bar none is not allot of places you can beach a boat even if you wanted to.

Regardless point of post is weather can change in a minute and to make matters worse, fishing seems to get really good just prior LOL. Been caught a few times and had no business being out there when knowing full well.

Thought I would revive this thread after being caught in a storm on the Arrows yesterday. A 16 foot boat in 8 foot swells is exciting to say the least; took us more than three hours to get back to the boat launch. We traveled 20 miles up the lake to fish, when the storm came over the mountain and we had minimal time to react. 2 foot swells quickly became 4, 6, 8...

Be careful out there guys.

The Fisherman Guy
05-04-2014, 10:20 PM
been caught in 10 ft chop more than once and for myself all from the north, when ferries stop running you know your in trouble. And if you don't have a 21ft or bigger boat, you will never get on top of the waves to drive out of it. Biggest issue bar none is not allot of places you can beach a boat even if you wanted to.

I've been in some serious weather on that lake.

When the waves are so large, you can't see land, and are trying to navigate back, as every wave plows over your boat, while your bilge pump runs hard - it will scare you ......

Like someone mentioned - this lake is dangerous and there are very very few places you can come ashore due to the depth and giant rocks along most of the shoreline.

There are also very few sheltered areas along the main lake to take refuge.

Careful out there .... as soon as it gets ugly ..... head in.

Thought I would revive this thread after being caught in a storm on the Arrows yesterday. A 16 foot boat in 8 foot swells is exciting to say the least; took us more than three hours to get back to the boat launch. We traveled 20 miles up the lake to fish, when the storm came over the mountain and we had minimal time to react. 2 foot swells quickly became 4, 6, 8...

Be careful out there guys.

Speckle55
05-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Dolly ally is out in middle of lake in front of Crawford bay there is a Gps setting but i am not able too access it as my buddy.s boat has on screen..we were heading to the ferry area when we ran it

we found as others that the chop helps as they all come up to feed even the kokaneey .. but with the Lea-mans i found that the 85 ft range works well from 2 to 2.9 ..but out in the middle ..no one was catching any up top those days i was there the guide asked if anyone was catch so i came back on down rigger at 87fow and they updated they got a 18pounder Bull 15 minutes later and thanked us. we got 4 Bulls .my buddy lives there and last fall he won one tourament and was second at another and won a few grand.. one was 24 pound Girard and 18 and 16 .. mainly on Buck Tails up top in Sept and Oct

Hope this helps

David:)

ps also i lost a school mate to the lake in 1974 Jim as they were crossing the Lake and he didn,t make it 2 others swam to shore it was in fall i think but not sure