PDA

View Full Version : Eating Crow?

KevGuy
04-09-2014, 06:13 PM
No, I don't mean taking heat from your boss at work, I mean actually eating crow meat. Anyone ever tried? I know some people who ate seagull and beaver, but not crow.

recce43
04-09-2014, 06:16 PM
1. Lay the crow on it's back in front of you with it's head pointed to the right.

2. Take a finger and locate where the breast bone meets the upper abdomen.

3. With a sharp knife, make a cut across the crow (wing to wing) below the breast bone. Don't be concerned about cutting toodeep, no edible meat will be damaged with this cut.

4. Holding the birds feet with your left hand, place 2 or 3 fingers under the skin where the cut was made and pull in opposite directions. The skinless breast meat should now be exposed.

5. Take the knife again and separate each breast half away from the bone starting in the middle and working outward. You should end up with 2 lime sized pieces of crow breast. Discard the remains properly.
16 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (8 crows)
16 pieces of green pepper
16 cherry tomatoes
8 button mushrooms
8 ears of sweet corn
1 1/2 cups of Teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup melted butter
8 kabob skewers
Preparation
Cut each piece of crow in half and place in a covered bowl with the Teriyaki sauce over night. Clean and cut each ear of corn into 3 pieces. Cook in boiling salt water for 10 minutes. Alternately put corn (3 pieces), green peppers (3 pieces) and cherry tomatoes (3) along with 4 pieces of crow meat on each skewer. Use 1 mushroom to top each skewer. Brush with melted butter and place on preheated grill for about 4 minutes. Flip, butter again and place back on grill for another 4 minutes. Repeat one last time for a total of 12 minutes or until they appear done.

THEN TOSS INTO GARBAGE

shakeyleg02
04-09-2014, 06:34 PM
If I was in a survival situation YES if not ..hell no

north american hunter
04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
If I was in a survival situation YES if not ..hell no

Exactly.

catnthehat
04-09-2014, 06:42 PM
If you put enough ketchup and HP on, you can eat danged near anything !!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

panwojciech
04-09-2014, 06:51 PM
If you put enough ketchup and HP on, you can eat danged near anything !!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Or you can sprinkle some Varget!:sHa_shakeshout:

deanmc
04-09-2014, 06:54 PM
lmao. I am such a fool. I read every work in that recipe thinking you were serious.

shakeyleg02
04-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Or you can sprinkle some Varget!:sHa_shakeshout:

Yeppers cat puts that chit on everything

wolf308
04-09-2014, 08:17 PM

Lmao

wolf308
04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
lmao. I am such a fool. I read every work in that recipe thinking you were serious.

I started too then seen it was a serious work to prepare a crow. Skipped to yours. Seen it was a joke then went back...... Then toss in trash. Lmao even more. That's awesome recce. You put a lot into that crow cook book.

elkdump
04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
a delicacy common on menus across the British Isles , on the menu it is Rook, more known to commoners as Crow,,,:sHa_sarcasticlol:

and given the choice, I'd rather roasted crow than raw fish:scared0018:

sevenmil
04-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Crows, Ravens and magpies will eat things that even a coyote won't touch.
:thinking-006:

davesilva
04-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Squirell porcupine magpie crow
All survival food in my books, last resort.

catnthehat
04-09-2014, 10:20 PM

Varget is , uh, an acquired taste that many do not get accustomed to - that many never learn to appreciate .
That's why I suggest the ketchup instead!:thinking-006:
Cat

bergman
04-09-2014, 11:00 PM
A friend of mine ate a crow, shot with shotgun (not roadkill). Not kidding. Said it was ok. All birds are edible, right? Whats life without eating weird stuff?

Redfrog
04-09-2014, 11:21 PM
a delicacy common on menus across the British Isles , on the menu it is Rook, more known to commoners as Crow,,,:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I don't find it unusaul that Brits would have to eat crow and call it a delicacy. Some of them think the French lost the war of independence in 1776.:)

We used to shoot a lot of crows prior to hunting season. we always took them to a Russian widow. She cleaned them up and ate them. She had lived her life pretty much in poverty so was she was very happy to have them.

I wouldn't hunt them for food, but wouldn't hesitate to eat one. I have eaten lots of pigeons, starlings and even sparrows. That's what happens when you hunt with an Italian. I doubt crow would be any different.

fish gunner
04-09-2014, 11:37 PM
I don't find it unusaul that Brits would have to eat crow and call it a delicacy. Some of them think the French lost the war of independence in 1776.:)

We used to shoot a lot of crows prior to hunting season. we always took them to a Russian widow. She cleaned them up and ate them. She had lived her life pretty much in poverty so was she was very happy to have them.

I wouldn't hunt them for food, but wouldn't hesitate to eat one. I have eaten lots of pigeons, starlings and even sparrows. That's what happens when you hunt with an Italian. I doubt crow would be any different.

Come on rf read your books the french won that one lol. :) the reason the crow was eaten is .... one of the few species in the pest list so a commoner could hunt them ?? A raven would get one hung .

Red Bullets
04-09-2014, 11:46 PM

He got the recipe from this website. An actual recipe. Maybe recce43 tried it and didn't like it.

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

What was that old song??...."four and twenty blackbirds baked it a pie".....

Redfrog
04-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Come on rf read your books the french won that one lol. :) the reason the crow was eaten is .... one of the few species in the pest list so a commoner could hunt them ?? A raven would get one hung .

I'm not sure I understand the concept of having to have a raven to be hung.:thinking-006:

And just so I'm clear, are you saying that U.K hunting laws are just as restrictive and useless as their firearms regulations, or are you saying you've been waiting all day for me to post so you can pick my......oh crap, my keyboard ran out of ink.:)

Jimboy
04-10-2014, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE=KevGuy;2397468]No, I don't mean taking heat from your boss at work, I mean actually eating crow meat. Anyone ever tried? I know some people who ate seagull and beaver, but not crow.[/QUOTE

After it jumps off a dead carcuss full of maggots , why would you want to?:thinking-006:

Jimboy
04-10-2014, 04:53 AM
l,m sure lotsa you good ole boys have ate nastyer stuff , just think of that last old crow ya picked up in the bar over the years.:sHa_shakeshout:

fish gunner
04-10-2014, 07:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand the concept of having to have a raven to be hung.:thinking-006:

And just so I'm clear, are you saying that U.K hunting laws are just as restrictive and useless as their firearms regulations, or are you saying you've been waiting all day for me to post so you can pick my......oh crap, my keyboard ran out of ink.:)

Past tense Rf . Uk hunting laws are that restrictive its the fact that all game is owned ..so its a vicious circle . Cant say we ever shot more than hares and rabbits on family land . On a couple of ocasions got to chase phesant on HM land in the forces.

recce43
04-10-2014, 07:40 AM
He got the recipe from this website. An actual recipe. Maybe recce43 tried it and didn't like it.

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

What was that old song??...."four and twenty blackbirds baked it a pie".....

nope never tried yet lol but have eaten at mcdonalds so maybe i have eaten crow

buckman
04-10-2014, 10:54 AM

I remember hearing about Rook (type of crow) Pie back home in England.

It was made only with the fledgling birds in the springtime.I shot lots of them,never ate one though.

thrude1
04-10-2014, 11:05 AM
watched it on Wild TV's Quebec Outfiiters program they shot the crows then some fancy pants chef cooked them up in a buttermilk sauce

58thecat
04-10-2014, 11:24 AM
watched it on Wild TV's Quebec Outfiiters program they shot the crows then some fancy pants chef cooked them up in a buttermilk sauce

Their French what do you expect?:fighting0074:

V_1
04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Cat
HP you mean ink from inkjet HP cartridges??? :D

flyguyd
04-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Magpie is not bad , nice plump breast. long as you like dark meat..
Cant say about crow tho

pointer
04-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I like to do my crow up into jerky then feed it to the co workers that I don't really like I have never herd any of them complain yet :sHa_shakeshout:

KegRiver
04-10-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't care how much HP sauce or Varget you put on a Crow, I ain't eatin it.

Some things aren't meant to be eaten.
I've eaten Beaver , , , , no, not going to say it, and Squirrel, Blackbirds, Bear, and even Chickens feet, all good. But I wouldn't let a crow or any part of a crow near my lips, for any reason.

I'd rather eat worms then a crow.

pointer
04-10-2014, 04:13 PM
I don't care how much HP sauce or Varget you put on a Crow, I ain't eatin it.

Some things aren't meant to be eaten.
I've eaten Beaver , , , , no, not going to say it, and Squirrel, Blackbirds, Bear, and even Chickens feet, all good. But I wouldn't let a crow or any part of a crow near my lips, for any reason.

I'd rather eat worms then a crow.

I like young beaver the best :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Big Grey Wolf
04-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Guys, just for the record, crows are the primary carrier of west nile. I wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole.