PDA

View Full Version : 410 for the kids

Whitetail77
04-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Anyone have any recommnedations on a decent 410 for a young up and coming hunter? Primarily for shooting chickens at some point. I've got a pump now, but its not the most reliable with the loading. Seem to drop shells once in a while and doesn't pump/reload all the time.

Maybe something in an over/under? Think something up to $500 might be ok, but don't want to break the bank either.

north american hunter
04-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Take a look at bakal single shot shotguns. I have quite a few and they are awesome. Or mossberg might make a sxs or o/u .410

wwbirds
04-10-2014, 11:44 AM
but any $500 over/under is not worth owning. Some nice pumps in that price range. Just picked up a new BPS pump in 28 for that price. Speaking of 28 gauge the pattern is so small in a 410 it is generally not considered a good starter gun for children as it takes an expert shooter to centre a flying bird. Not sure what species you refer to as "chickens"? ruffed grouse are often shot on ground but with a shotgun it is not very sporting to teach the kids.
A 20 gauge is light and versatile enough for a new shooter. Clay thrower and a box of clays extends the season to teach them wingshooting when they cant hunt.

*BigSexyHunter*
04-10-2014, 12:06 PM
but any $500 over/under is not worth owning. Some nice pumps in that price range. Just picked up a new BPS pump in 28 for that price. Speaking of 28 gauge the pattern is so small in a 410 it is generally not considered a good starter gun for children as it takes an expert shooter to centre a flying bird. Not sure what species you refer to as "chickens"? ruffed grouse are often shot on ground but with a shotgun it is not very sporting to teach the kids.
A 20 gauge is light and versatile enough for a new shooter. Clay thrower and a box of clays extends the season to teach them wingshooting when they cant hunt.

X2 on this... I had a .410 and never liked it for anything. Would use a .22 for grouse. (Now I use a 12 gauge, I have seen too many beaks shot off and fly away and die from starvation) And you would have a really tough time shooting ducks with a .410. And when I was young and O/U was too front/top heavy for me. And I was not no scronny kid either. Grew up on a cattle farm with 600 head. And a half decent semi-auto 20 gauge is big enough to so some trap/skeet shooting (I use them now and then just for more of a challenge) as well as some ducks with the right set-up. And lots of recoil is absorbed with the action. Just my 2 cents.

Happy shooting!

Groundhogger
04-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Speaking of 28 gauge the pattern is so small in a 410 it is generally not considered a good starter gun for children as it takes an expert shooter to centre a flying bird. Not sure what species you refer to as "chickens"? ruffed grouse are often shot on ground but with a shotgun it is not very sporting to teach the kids.

I was going to say the same thing, and, add that the cost/availability of .410 isn't as good as 20ga. is. I shot my .410 (a single-shot Cooey) this winter a few times, and for the recoil/ammo price~I'm not sure (for me) that it's worth the trouble. I bought an 870 "youth" 20ga. for my kids to use last summer and they love the thing. A friend of mine bought a .410 pump for his kids and told me (after) he didn't realize how expensive the shells were. Food for thought.

V_1
04-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Anyone have any recommnedations on a decent 410 for a young up and coming hunter? Primarily for shooting chickens at some point. I've got a pump now, but its not the most reliable with the loading. Seem to drop shells once in a while and doesn't pump/reload all the time.

Maybe something in an over/under? Think something up to $500 might be ok, but don't want to break the bank either.
My son's Mossberg 510 Bantam was used in single shot mode for a while. (It comes from factory this way with long dowel blocking mag). After all necessary techniques were mastered, I cut it down to use mag. Proven to be reliable.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/21734/mossberg-510-mini-super-bantam-field-pump-shotgun
$329 new at Cabelas

PS Don't waste money on Baikals in any shape or form.

twofifty
04-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Over & Under means there will usually be a second shot immediately available to the young hunter. If the youngster has not demonstrated consistent application of all safe gun handling rules, best to stick to a single shot.

bonedogg
04-10-2014, 01:48 PM
I have what i beleive is called Henry Snake Charmer in .410 cal, which is a small short one shot gun used for killing big fish on boats before they bring them in and snakes on the trail when hiking. its short, cheap(175 buck i think) and is fun to load up with various shot or slugs. perfect little grouse gun in my opinion

densa44
04-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I shoot one. It is a Yildiz single shot and weighs 3.3 lbs. I don't think it is a good gun to start with. I shoot pointed birds (pheasants) at about 15 yards and it works fine for that. I also reload, I have a supply of 3" bass hulls which make reloading easy and cheap.

My suggestion would be a Yildiz (they are very light) in 20 ga. The ammo is cheap and he can shoot just about anything. My wf uses hers to shoot geese.

covey ridge
04-10-2014, 04:48 PM
but any $500 over/under is not worth owning. Some nice pumps in that price range. Just picked up a new bps pump in 28 for that price. Speaking of 28 gauge the pattern is so small in a 410 it is generally not considered a good starter gun for children as it takes an expert shooter to centre a flying bird. Not sure what species you refer to as "chickens"? Ruffed grouse are often shot on ground but with a shotgun it is not very sporting to teach the kids.

^^^^^^yep

Rennich98
04-10-2014, 05:06 PM
MOSSBERG SILVER RESERVE O/U .410!!!!!! Highly highly recommend!!!

u_cant_rope_the_wind
04-10-2014, 05:12 PM
savage model 42
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/Model42/

TUFFBUFF
04-10-2014, 05:33 PM
I have what i beleive is called Henry Snake Charmer in .410 cal, which is a small short one shot gun used for killing big fish on boats before they bring them in and snakes on the trail when hiking. its short, cheap(175 buck i think) and is fun to load up with various shot or slugs. perfect little grouse gun in my opinion

winner, winner!

Got one last fall looks cool and around 200 bucks, it's stainless and has a neat shell carrier built into the stock. Nephew who's 11 shot a few ruffies with it, and after was about 2 for 3 on the skeet shooting as well. 6 yr old niece and my 4 yr old have shot it, and I found some windchester defence disk/bb slug thinys in case I need to protect myself :)
It's short/light and fits the kids good, and they like it.

elkhunter11
04-10-2014, 05:55 PM
MOSSBERG SILVER RESERVE O/U .410!!!!!! Highly highly recommend!!!

There have been far too many firing pin issues with the Silver Reserve, for me to buy one.

Foxton Gundogs
04-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Personally I would start him on a 20ga. Started all my nephews on 20s, yeatrs ago I picked up a new Boito 20 ga O/U($270 at the time) cut the stock down put on a good recoil pad and it did duty thru all the kids in the family a few friends and neighbours an X wife they all made the transition to 12 ga without a hitch. The old $270 o/u has never missed a beat and now does duty as a camp gun for grouse and rabbits. Don't count outa cheap O/U

catnthehat
04-10-2014, 06:16 PM
My brothers and I were only slowed to use a .410 after we had shown proficiency using 12's and 20's on the trap and fleet fields .
I use. A .410 in the past for ruffies over a pointer but have always preferred a 20 or 28 over the .410,
I am not the World's best shot but I can hold my own and never recommend the .410 to s new shooter unless they want it for skeet or for ground swatting birds .:)
Cat

Rennich98
04-10-2014, 06:41 PM
There have been far too many firing pin issues with the Silver Reserve, for me to buy one.

I've never had anything go wrong with mine...mind u I've upgraded to a 12ga now but I absolutely love the little .410

solocam3
04-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Our club is having a youth trap shoot on the Easter weekend. We supply the 20 gauges and 12 gauges. You could get them out to try.

wwbirds
04-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Our club is having a youth trap shoot on the Easter weekend. We supply the 20 gauges and 12 gauges. You could get them out to try.

and if you have the youth try a good shotgun that fits the balance will more than make up for the extra cost in a quality shotgun.
With a cheaper entrance level shotgun you will often find that if they are used a lot (say he gets into shooting clays regularly) they don't stand up. My first shotgun ( a Mossberg) lasted 10 months of shooting clays and ducks so you end up buying twice.
With clays y0u will soon find out that good shotguns not only last a lifetime but do a lot of the work for you because of the balance.

Everyone that wanted an entrance level shotgun bought one so the used market is non existent for them. An intermediate or good shotgun will hold its value and have a ready market for resale when you decide to move up again, which you will. You can buy for the new hunter but expect to use it yourself and justify the extra cost of quality.

outdoors forever
04-10-2014, 10:04 PM

I shot 68 ruffies this past fall with my single shot .410 and never lost one.

And please explain how its not sporting to teach kids to shoot a ruffie on the ground with a shotgun? :rolleye2: My daughters were with me for MANY of these ruffie hunts.

Are you against shooting a deer from a ground blind with a high powered rifle? Tell me how sporting that is............

ruger300
04-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Cause deer cant fly!!! Really. Calm down man.

ruger300

Big Daddy Badger
04-10-2014, 10:50 PM

Neither is dusting something and watching it fly away with Lead in its butt.

Just saying... there are two ways to look at that besides... to kids just starting out... even a grounded bird is a challenge and they may develop by upping their own standard over time if we do not place things on too high of a shelf for em from the get go.:).

wwbirds
04-11-2014, 12:17 AM
heck use a 10 gauge if that what lights you up. Meat hunting is fine but dont confuse that with "sporting" or teaching a child skill with a shotgun. I have seen a 10 year old child take down a flying Canada goose with a single shot 410 in Attiwapiskat.
Shotguns were designed with a pattern of shot that would take down a flying bird. Rifles are for extreme accuracy.
Bird is 12 inches high shotgun pattern is 30 inches round at reasonable range. If they fly away with lead in their butt it is not only unsporting it is bad shooting
If you don't see what is not sporting about shooting a ground bird with a shotgun, go for it!

nelsonob1
04-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Stoeger over under are a fun, cheaper entry point. I have two kids sharing the 410 and we love the cartridge as a fun, no recoil but big banger to teach them them the basics and give them some ability to learn.

We have the single shot twenty gauge but the 410 is a really fun learning platform for kids.

Big Daddy Badger
04-11-2014, 03:11 AM
heck use a 10 gauge if that what lights you up. Meat hunting is fine but dont confuse that with "sporting" or teaching a child skill with a shotgun. I have seen a 10 year old child take down a flying Canada goose with a single shot 410 in Attiwapiskat.
Shotguns were designed with a pattern of shot that would take down a flying bird. Rifles are for extreme accuracy.
Bird is 12 inches high shotgun pattern is 30 inches round at reasonable range. If they fly away with lead in their butt it is not only unsporting it is bad shooting
If you don't see what is not sporting about shooting a ground bird with a shotgun, go for it!

I understand...wasn't trying to start anything it s just that your musing sort of came across as a bit harsh.
Thanks for the follow-up.:)

wwbirds
04-11-2014, 09:47 AM
I enjoy the challenge of shotgunning which is to become proficient at taking flying birds cleanly out of the sky. shooting on the ground in many cases is legal so I have no problem with it. My grandmother was a meat hunter who hunted ruffies until she was in her 80's and if she missed with the 22 barrel she shot them on the ground or out of a low branch with the 410 barrel.
Nothing wrong with meat hunting for the pot just not my way of shotgunning.

gitrdun
04-11-2014, 11:05 AM
No matter what shotgun, I'm of the opinion that a youngster should show some proficiency on clays before turning them loose on live birds......and all in favour of teaching them good sportsmanship.

Whitetail77
04-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Ok. Thx for all of the tips, advise and education on "sporting".

This got complicated fast...LOL
Maybe we'll just stick to fishing for now. Can anyone recommend a good real for the kids.......Joking.

But seriously.....This gives me some things to consider that I hadn't really put much thougth to.