PDA

View Full Version : What your style of Deer hunting?

cotang
04-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Hello,

New hunter here. Went out last year with co-workers and took a couple shots but didn't get anything. Their main style is drive around until they see a deer and then hop out quickly, load, quick visual check to make sure all is clear and then take the shot. Now this to me is fine and dandy but I was wondering if anyone has tried dressing up all in camo and hiking into the woods and hiding and waiting. Not sure how effective that is. I'm more into the stalking and waiting then anything else. But since no one I know does this kind I was hoping for some tips.

Thanks.

1899b
04-10-2014, 02:04 PM
It's easier with power windows and quiet exhaust systems....

catnthehat
04-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Don't forget the pool noodle!:medium-smiley-035:
Cat

IR_mike
04-10-2014, 02:30 PM

The fold out dodge mirrors offer a wide variety of stable rests in conjunction with power seats.

archer
04-10-2014, 04:29 PM
A little pre- season scouting, find a few good ambush site's,spend many hours quietly waiting , then luck into a deer walking down to my wood pile. Yup that's what works for me

expmler
04-10-2014, 04:35 PM

I've had power windows freeze up.

covey ridge
04-10-2014, 04:42 PM
cotang,
Are you a troll?

cotang
04-10-2014, 04:54 PM
cotang,
Are you a troll?

Blahahah, yeah. Just wanted to see some funny response.

Preux86
04-10-2014, 04:57 PM
I like the noodle and the dodge mirrors. Classic.

You could just walk some cut lines with carrots on a stick too.

cotang
04-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I like the noodle and the dodge mirrors. Classic.

You could just walk some cut lines with carrots on a stick too.

I was thinking more of dressing up like a deer but not so sure now.....:thinking-006:

58thecat
04-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Cat

Ohhhh boy, better tread lightly......:scared0018:

Icatchfish
04-10-2014, 05:02 PM
I've had power windows freeze up.

must be a ford:)

Preux86
04-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I was thinking more of dressing up like a deer but not so sure now.....:thinking-006:

I would never dress up like a deer in Alberta. Safe to walk in the bush because noones hunting there. But walking on the road? Or on private property? You get shot pretty fast in Alberta.

huntinalberta
04-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm not the tree stand hunter type. I like to spot and stock. So either walking quietly down cut lines or driving around big fields is normally how I do it. I think this type of hunting is much more exiting then sitting in a tree.

greylynx
04-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Eating rolled oats, with the bench rest set up on the kitchen table and the front screen door open to enjoy the rising sun.

Spotting scope included.

Nobody would ever hunt like that.

This is hearsay and conjecture.

M4verick
04-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I've never looked on road warriors with much appreciation. Part of it comes from my own personal experience with these guys (buckin off shots from the road - ILLEGAL). We now live in a world where many people are lazy and want the easy fix. Drive down the road, see a big buck, shoot it, then drag it back and tell hunting stories. This is a stepping stone to poaching and trespassing.

I hunt using a variety of strategies...spot and stalk, tree stand hunting, blinds, calling, rattling...Even pushing bush is a great way to hunt.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but at the end of the day when I'm dressing out a deer, I feel pride in knowing the effort was worth it and the method through which I got my deer was fair, sustainable and most of all, hard work.

Alot of the guys truck hunting are often wearing more camo than I do. Whats up with that?! The only time they step out of the truck is to take a ****.

cotang
04-10-2014, 09:02 PM
I would never dress up like a deer in Alberta. Safe to walk in the bush because noones hunting there. But walking on the road? Or on private property? You get shot pretty fast in Alberta.

Umm... I was kidding.

beansgunsghandi
04-10-2014, 09:05 PM
I like to run as fast as possible through the woods. The deer are so surprised to see a human moving at faster than a walk that they just stand there. I then throw a rock at 'em (minimum two pound size or the ABA gets all wound up). Works pretty good once you get used to it.

Big Daddy Badger
04-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Eating rolled oats, with the bench rest set up on the kitchen table and the front screen door open to enjoy the rising sun.

Spotting scope included.

Nobody would ever hunt like that.

This is hearsay and conjecture.

Beats holing up in the outhouse.:)

I look for spots where there is a lot of activity...crossing points or natural defiles then park my butt in a place where I can do an over-watch.

If they come to me great...if not I try to flank em.

Preux86
04-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Umm... I was kidding.

Ya i know..its just a shot at all the road warriors

AtimoseMan
04-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Yes these road warriors ruin it for every good hunter and brag about there poacher skills. If i ever catch you i will hang you to the law you jerks and yet you brag about it!!! Lets don't forget about the tinted windows and jacked up 4 w-drives. You are not welcome on my land period.........................!!!!!!!!

catnthehat
04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Yes these road warriors ruin it for every good hunter and brag about there poacher skills. If i ever catch you i will hang you to the law you jerks and yet you brag about it!!! Lets don't forget about the tinted windows and jacked up 4 w-drives. You are not welcome on my land period.........................!!!!!!!!

Is that the sure sign of a road hunter, tinted windows and a lift kit?
Cat

pikergolf
04-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Cat

Forgot hitch testicles and pool noodle.

PartTimeHunter
04-11-2014, 04:58 AM
Cat

pool noodle?!

last minute
04-11-2014, 05:13 AM
This thread is purely entertaining great way to start the day thanks.:)

crownb
04-11-2014, 07:34 AM
:party0052:pool noodle?!

:party0052: :sSc_hiding:

catnthehat
04-11-2014, 07:36 AM
pool noodle?!

I ain't goin' there!!
Do a search and have fun with it!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

brownbomber
04-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Off my roof over apples and cinnamon

rugatika
04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
I just like to buy the tags apparently. :sign0176:

58thecat
04-11-2014, 09:08 AM
The law states no tags required while road hunting, got this written on a napkin from a good ol' boy at a truck stop. Told me that's how he did it in Saskatchewan and it is standard all across western Canada! Enjoy the dusty roads!

PartTimeHunter
04-11-2014, 09:54 AM
I ain't goin' there!!
Do a search and have fun with it!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

:medium-smiley-035: I already did before I posted. Just felt like stirring the pot a little :evilgrin: I hear it's an option on the new black Dodge duallys :scared0018:

Sledhead71
04-11-2014, 10:00 AM
It is no wonder why our passion is in steady decline, we don't need outside influences to corrode our sport, we do it ourselves:mad0100:

There are MANY forms of hunting, as long as the acts are legal who gives two shats what others do...

Grow up people and promote our passion in a positive way, opposed to allowing the cancer to spread from the inside out. :(

catnthehat
04-11-2014, 10:04 AM
It is no wonder why our passion is in steady decline, we don't need outside influences to corrode our sport, we do it ourselves:mad0100:

There are MANY forms of hunting, as long as the acts are legal who gives two shats what others do...

Grow up people and promote our passion in a positive way, opposed to allowing the cancer to spread from the inside out. :(

This is not about real hunting methods but a lightheared thread that someone started.
Cat

Zuludog
04-11-2014, 10:55 AM
I just like to buy the tags apparently. :sign0176:

Me too. :( lol

cricketlakehunter
04-11-2014, 11:18 AM
This is not about real hunting methods but a lightheared thread that someone started.

Cat

X2

Bassett
04-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Cat

Darn I must be doing it wrong, I don't have a lifted truck!!

catnthehat
04-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Darn I must be doing it wrong, I don't have a lifted truck!!

You can jump in with me anytime pal, I've got a 6" lift and 35's on a F350 full 8' crew!':sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

winger7mm
04-11-2014, 01:05 PM
I know this thread is kinda going jokes and all. But for a real answer. It really depends. Iv shot deer waiting near a field edge. Shot deer while hiking around. Have yet to sit in a tree though. Iv also shot deer iv seen while driving. My best southern buck to date I spotted off the side of the highway, Took me almost 3 hours to wait for the husband to get home so I could ask for permission to hunt the property. That hunt was a weird one lol. Loaded up the dog and all my gear, went to a great spot for deer, got in before day light, sat there till about 9am nothing but does. Gave up for the late morning early afternoon to head out with the dog to chase birds. Went to one spot shot a rooster and a couple huns, on the way to my next spot to fill my limit for roosters, thats when I spotted the buck. Was sitting on pins and needles waiting for the landowner to get home lol. Was either gonna get the go ahead or denied. Glad I got the permission and was able to shoot a deer and put the skull plate on the wall instead of one to give the dogs for a chew for a few months lol

510-Gem
04-12-2014, 01:09 AM
This might sound like a smart a** answer to the OP, but it can produce.

Out walking in the bush, you'll most often come across a deer (or a few) standing just off the line or trial. 9 times out of 10 you won't know until they are bouncing off in the opposite direction, and the opportunity is more or less lost and you stand there like a surprised moron. Should you immediately run through the bush after them like running moron, 9 times out of 10 you'll get another shot opportunity once the deer quit running and you do too. Remember that a running deer makes as much noise in the bush as a running human. They have to stop running in order to survey the scene again. I once earned another look at a whitetail buck inside 20 yards using this method with my bow. A 30-30 may have gotten through the brush that day, but none the less, a comical moment in the field!

HunterDave
04-12-2014, 01:20 AM
Ambush. Scout and pattern the deer that you are hunting and set up an ambush. Most of the hunt goes into reading the sign and setting up. Other methods work well but this one is my favourite. :)

walking buffalo
04-12-2014, 02:26 AM
You can jump in with me anytime pal, I've got a 6" lift and 35's on a F350 full 8' crew!':sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

Save a place in the back for me, my ears can't take the blasts from inside the cab anymore.

catnthehat
04-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Hello,

New hunter here. Went out last year with co-workers and took a couple shots but didn't get anything. Their main style is drive around until they see a deer and then hop out quickly, load, quick visual check to make sure all is clear and then take the shot. Now this to me is fine and dandy but I was wondering if anyone has tried dressing up all in camo and hiking into the woods and hiding and waiting. Not sure how effective that is. I'm more into the stalking and waiting then anything else. But since no one I know does this kind I was hoping for some tips.

Thanks.
Okay real answer?
On crown land LOL for creeks and valleys and you will usually find a game trail running parallel with them.
Find where another trail intersects it.
After every snowfall go out and check the trails to find where they are moving on them.
If you can find a field where they are feeding in all the better.
Stay away from the field and hunt the trails going to it.

Don't worry about ATV traffic because the animals don't either.
Chances are you will find a game trail just off the ATV trail.
Don't worry do much about what you are wading as opposed to moving too fast and if the wind is at your back DO NOT still hunt and stalk that trail that Da find another to hunt. Keep the wind in you TAC and move slowly , stooping every so often and you will get a deer .

This is far more important than the type or size of the gun you are carrying or the scope that us on it.
Cat

catnthehat
04-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Save a place in the back for me, my ears can't take the blasts from inside the cab anymore.

I'll bring a law. Chair!
Cat

Don K
04-12-2014, 06:55 AM
must be a ford:)

They've done it on my Dodge. Really ****es me off cuz the real reason I drive the Dodge is for the great fold down mirrors...
:sign0161:

Dunezilla
04-12-2014, 07:39 AM
My spider senses detect when there is big game present. So I walk to that spot & only hear deer trying to pick up my sent. They spook & run & my spider senses leads me to a spot where they will be & I see them & that's about it, I saw them quickly.

cfinn
04-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Wait... All these years watching guys with jacked up truck with straight pipe mega phone exhausts (whining turbo's too) covering miles of gravel with no permission on any land around them, or hopping on the loud atv's at first light and tearing up every mud puddle a creek possible, are not doing it right? sorry, just my rant at the road warriors too.

Alberta Bigbore
04-12-2014, 12:32 PM
For freezer filler deer???????... road hunting west of edmonton.... strathcona county... slug hunting.. but now will be bowhunting hard on all three permissions i have right beside edmonton in tree stands and ground blind ......and a spot west of edmonton in a tree stand.

twofifty
04-12-2014, 10:29 PM
I've got three styles, depending on time of day, terrain, cover.
Tried pretty equal parts of stalking (i.e. still hunting); taking cover near trails and rattling in/calling; trunking.

This Fall, trunking did it for me, though I did call in 2 WT does but they were not legal to shoot.

the11fisherman
04-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Hello,

Thanks.

I personally scout out an area about 1 month before rifle season opens and see what the movement are of the deer. In most areas they are a creature of habit and go through the same route and trails daily. When hunting season comes, I sit about 50 yards from where they walk, and wait for them to come trotting by. I put my sights on the buck that I predetermined I would shoot, and bang! At 50 yards you can't miss.