PDA

View Full Version : Fish crisp???

10pt
04-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Just wondering what your favourite fish batter is. I'd love to try some new ones..yummy

Shandell
04-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I like shake and bake for deep frying. The extra crispy stuff.
Another good recipe..
Mix equal amounts of soya sauce and brown sugar. Marinade fish (I've only ever used pike but I'm sure you could use any kind of fish) for a half hour to an hour. Lay tinfoil on barbecue and cook fish on low heat. Watch it closely because it burns very quickly. Drizzle with remaining marinade periodically.
Absolutely amazing!

rycoma
04-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Uncle bucks is great (bass pro shop)

pikergolf
04-10-2014, 04:27 PM
My breading mix, crushed bread crumbs, seasoning salt, crushed sea salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika. Mix in bag, play with the spices until it tastes as you want. Dust fillets in flour, dip in egg wash and shake in breading mix bag or dip in breading mix in bowl. Fry until done.

*BigSexyHunter*
04-10-2014, 04:28 PM
For Pan Frying-
Just dip the damp fillet into flour, then put lawreys seasoning salt on, with a little pepper. Oh did I mention a good olive oil goes a long way for flavor?!

For Deep Frying-
#1- Dip the damp fillet into flour, then an egg wash, then corn flake crumbs. Season to taste.

#2- Pancake batter is a simple, easy, & quick batter, When made with beer instead of water.... Amazing.

KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid :1041:

jpohlic
04-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Our daughter is celiac so we had to come up with a gluten free beer batter recipe and it's really good. The corn starch gives it a nice crunch.

2 cups Kinnikinnick All purpose flour
¼ cup corn starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
400mL Green’s Gluten Free Tripel Blonde Ale (Belgium)
1 egg white

Fish – cut into 1”x1”x5” strips

Kinnikinnick All purpose flour
Emeril’s essence - recipe can be found online

mix dry ingredients
add beer and egg white and mix again to consistency of pancake batter
chill in fridge

dredge fish in flour/essence mixture, dip in batter and fry in 350 degree oil

*BigSexyHunter*
04-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Our daughter is celiac so we had to come up with a gluten free beer batter recipe and it's really good. The corn starch gives it a nice crunch.

I do find that corn starch does deep fry nicely, when I make my "Ginger Moose"
My strips are just cut then dipped in cornstarch and deepfried, and they are super crispy, add that to my ginger sauce... Oh man I can taste it!

Lambo
Original is still my favorite.

iliketrout
In my opinion, don't spend the money on the fish crisp. Just need beer and flour. I like to make mine with a thicker consistency so it sticks to the fish better. This is a picture of pike fillets I did about a month ago, deep fried. You can also pan fry in shallow oil with similar results.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae107/iliketrout/AE8874E7-5A1D-4735-8A7B-4B199E30EF0F.jpg

I prefer using Keith's as the beer.

Another favorite for pan frying only is to use about 50/50 fluor and crushed premium plus crackers. Dip the filet in an egg wash, and then coat with the batter mix and fry in shallow olive oil. I think that if you tried to deep fry with this method that the batter would not stick well to the fish.

Very simple recipe for tartar sauce which is good on both recipes above is Helmann's Mayo and Dill Pickle relish, ratios as per your taste

http://img.wiredmessenger.com/Images/Products/6/product_43.jpg

EZM
04-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Deep fried anything is good, however, if you are after something a little less fatty .....

Blackened Fish - Cajun or Regular

Buy a tube of extra fine flour - Robin Hood Easy Blend - comes in a shaker container.

1 - Blend your flour with your favorite spices - for Cajun you can use seasoning salt, montreal steak spice, garlic powder and cayenne and/or jalapeno power.

2 - Coat or dust your fish with the fine flour/spice mix

3 - Fry pan on super hot - add tablespoon of veg oil and a little butter (oil prevents butter from getting too burnt up and brown) - a really good non stick pan is the way to go to prevent sticking.

4 - Slap the fish on until the edges are browning, flip only once, nice when blackened ( dark brown ).

Serve with Chipotle / Jalapeno Mayonnaise as your tartar sauce and a wedge of lemon.

This worth a try ....... excellent with fresh boneless pike or walleye

Redfrog
04-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Pancake mix, beer, garlic powder to taste. Some oil in a cast iron pan.

Sauce is miracle whip, relish and Frank's to taste.

rafhone
04-10-2014, 07:39 PM
For shore lunch I have been seasoning with just a salt and pepper rub. Not too much to cover the natural taste of that fresh fresh meat.

Fish face
04-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Google "unbelieveable fish batter". All recipies.com. just like beer batter, but lighter and fast.
after years of batters this is the go to. I do get fish crisp and cronzey for gifts and use em but if I have beer and buddies and the yard fryer going thats the batter. Fresh oil..start with mars bars, then move to the veggies and then fish,veggies,fries..and repeat. Skip the mars bars round 2. Nobody wants a fishy hot mars bar!

gramps73
04-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Billings Gate make a gooder...

ALBTUFF
04-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Uncle Bucks fish batter from Bass pro is good good!!

10pt
04-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks to all ,The all sound tasty ,can't wait to try them out,thanks

pikester
04-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Krusteaz pancake mix from Costco; just put some in a Ziploc bag with a little seasoning salt, garlic powder, & onion powder. Dip your fish in some milk, then shake in the bag, into the fryer, then prepare for some lightly battered awesomeness!!

IR_mike
04-12-2014, 03:56 AM
Billings Gate make a gooder...

Billings Gate made a gooder.

BassDude
04-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Pastene Italian Bread Crumbs. They are available at Safeway in a yellow can. Dip filet in egg yolk and then cover in Pantene crumbs and fry. The crumbs have 4 or 5 different dried cheeses in them and Italian spices. Incredible for Pike. I like adding a bit of hy's steak spice.

wmw9
04-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I was up at Slave Lake last summer and my buddies mother in law made a great batter for pan frying walleye. I watched her make it the second day and wrote down what she put in...I've had to tweak amounts to get it close:

Garlic Powder
Crushed fresh garlic
olive oil
Parsley
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper
(she would combine these ingredients and give the fish a quick marinade)

After she would toss them in corn starch and drop them in a hot frying fan

Bound2Fish
04-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Bass Pro - Regular Seasoned

Shawnlh
04-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Crush some sour cream and onion chips into a powder, coat the fillets generously, fry in butter.
It's a white meat recipe (walleye, perch, pike) and super yummy.

pikeslayer22
04-14-2014, 03:56 PM
^^^ this...Use your favorite type of chips

Crackmacs
04-14-2014, 04:19 PM
What would you guys recommend for someone who isn't a big fan of fish (having only really bought store bought battered fish, or fast food fish).

Say, a rainbow? What would be the most commonly preferred type of batter or dressing? garlic, lemon, pepper? Perhaps something that gets rid of the 'fishy' taste? or at least makes it less fishy tasting.

Need to convince the wife to try some.

Jamie Black R/T
04-14-2014, 04:38 PM
What would you guys recommend for someone who isn't a big fan of fish

Say, a rainbow?

Perhaps something that gets rid of the 'fishy' taste? or at least makes it less fishy tasting.

catch and eat a beer battered walleye to solve all above issues.

fish gunner
04-14-2014, 05:33 PM
What would you guys recommend for someone who isn't a big fan of fish (having only really bought store bought battered fish, or fast food fish).

Say, a rainbow? What would be the most commonly preferred type of batter or dressing? garlic, lemon, pepper? Perhaps something that gets rid of the 'fishy' taste? or at least makes it less fishy tasting.

Honey nut cherios1 /2 pint glass per fish
Place in large zip lock bag with most of the air squezzed out
Rolling pin till a good powder and lump ratio 1/3 lumps.
Table spoon lemon pepper per pint
shake well
Dip fish in egg &milk mixture
Throw in zip lock &shake.
Fry till nice golden brown .
Cant stand most fish, walleye& smoked salmon is it . can eat most fish in this batter mmmm.:)

rafhone
04-14-2014, 06:05 PM

When i used to stuff and bake rainbows I would add a bit of cilantro inside the fish. It seemed to take out a bit of the fishy taste, just dont over do it.

also when you fillet and remove the skin you can eliminate more of the fishyness that trout have. you can go even further and remove fatty sections from the fillets as per this picture.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b507/rafhone/ColorTrimmingDiagram1_zps79c84db2.gif (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/rafhone/media/ColorTrimmingDiagram1_zps79c84db2.gif.html)

rafhone
04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
I also found that liberally salting the skin of a trout helps take the fishy taste out a bit when bake'n them

dfrobert
04-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Perfect and easy beer batter :
Bisquick, beer, 1 egg, salt, pepper.

You want the consistency to be the same as if you were making pancakes. Coat fish and immediately place them in HOT oil. Remove when golden brown.

rycoma
04-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Remove skin and the darker meat along the lateral line of the fish will help get rid of a lot of the fishy flavour. Also cook the fish in something that let's fat drip away bar-b-que, broiler pan ect. Also look for fish with a white flesh cod,talipia,basa,walleye,to name a few. Trout and salmon are very fatty and taste like fish.

Red Bullets
04-18-2014, 05:23 PM
The batter I make is store bought pancake mix. Make batter according to the recipe on the box but use ginger ale instead of milk or water.
Blend a little of any spice you like with fish into the batter too. (eg. hot pepper flakes, curry, garlic, pepper, etc. ) Dip dried fish pieces into the batter. Deep fry till golden brown.

Makes a crispy light coating using ginger ale. If you use milk the batter will make a not so crispy heavier coating. A lighter taste than beer batters.

Trev
04-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Mix the Cajun a bit thicker with some beer. Sprinkle some more on the fillets while its in the pan. Awesome