PDA

View Full Version : Question about hunting with a bow when your 16

huntinalberta
04-10-2014, 07:07 PM
I was just wondering what the rules are for hunting with a bow when your 16. Can you go out by yourself or do you have to be with an adult like rifle hunting?And also if you can go out by yourself do you have to get a special licence?
Thanks

pikeslayer22
04-10-2014, 07:12 PM
You can go yourself

Buckhunter,1
05-25-2014, 09:29 PM
yea i wanna know about this

north american hunter
05-25-2014, 09:33 PM
All you need is an archery permit and then you can hunt by your self.

petew
05-25-2014, 09:35 PM
all you need is an archery permit and then you can hunt by your self.

and the proper game licenses and tags.

Dunezilla
05-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Can I add this. If you decide to hunt alone then it would be wise to make sure you leave detailed information on paper where you will be hunting & which wmu or wmu's. Try to write down as much info as you can on where you will be hunting. Leave a copy with your parents, & with a friend.

When I hunt along I leave information on where I will be hunting (like between here & here sort of thing). I say something like " I may go into wmu 339, but I will be spending most of my time in wmu 340 between here & this place).

Even if you hunt with someone you can still hunt alone but at least someone is with you just in case (God Forbid ) something goes wrong.

north american hunter
05-26-2014, 10:13 AM
and the proper game licenses and tags.

I thought that was obvious.

Bassett
05-26-2014, 12:44 PM
I thought this as well, I knew the area well my dad had to work long hours when I was 16, so I went hunting alone. Make sure you leave detailed info and check in with parents/guardians often. When you do down an animal make sure your capable of dealing with it in a timely manner as well! I have confirmation from srd/fish and wildlife as well should you get any grief but you shouldn't.

Roughneck Country
05-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Can I add this. If you decide to hunt alone then it would be wise to make sure you leave detailed information on paper where you will be hunting & which wmu or wmu's. Try to write down as much info as you can on where you will be hunting. Leave a copy with your parents, & with a friend.

When I hunt along I leave information on where I will be hunting (like between here & here sort of thing). I say something like " I may go into wmu 339, but I will be spending most of my time in wmu 340 between here & this place).

Even if you hunt with someone you can still hunt alone but at least someone is with you just in case (God Forbid ) something goes wrong.

X2, I know a guy who broke his back while hunting, fell out of a tree stand. Luckily he had left detailed info, was found and air lifed out.

Jimboy
05-27-2014, 12:43 AM
You can go yourself

Yup ,and stick arrows into the rump of every deer you see , this should not be alllowed ,and it should be changed ,and made law to pass a proficincy course before lic issued.

H380
05-27-2014, 06:34 AM
Yup ,and stick arrows into the rump of every deer you see , this should not be alllowed ,and it should be changed ,and made law to pass a proficincy course before lic issued.

And when are we gonna do the same for rifle hunters ?:thinking-006:

kritz
05-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post

And when are we gonna do the same for rifle hunters ?:thinking-006:

Agreed !! 100% !!! H380 you are correct!

But back to the main question in this post. JimBoy,Lets give a young 16 YR positive feedback for hunting,

Yes , Go Bow hunt at that age, make family or friends aware of where / when you are out there. ( just like most adults hunting should)

J D
05-27-2014, 09:18 AM

You should not judge the skill level or ethics of someone you do not know

I made my first bow kill at 13years old and did not rump shoot, miss or wound any deer in the process.

I have met a good number of teenage kids that can out shoot adults.

Bassett
05-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Half the population shouldn't be allowed to hunt. I can for sure say when I was that age and perhaps younger I was more diligent, knowledgeable and had more ethics then most guys out there shooting at everything that moves out the window of their truck.

Most guys should have to go for the so called test you speak of.

MarceeSeamans
05-29-2014, 10:48 AM
You should not judge the skill level or ethics of someone you do not know

I made my first bow kill at 13years old and did not rump shoot, miss or wound any deer in the process.

I have met a good number of teenage kids that can out shoot adults.

Agree and to add to this I have met some adults who shouldn't be out by themselves, always wounding animals.