PDA

View Full Version : Wall tents....again

Hogie135
04-10-2014, 07:47 PM
So im considering buying a wall tent. It's use will mainly be for our November whitetail hunt up near Cold Lake. Last year we stayed in a trailer which was warm but kind of crowded with 5 guys. My question is, how warm are they in -30 weather, provided you keep the fire going? I want to be comfortable and warm if Im going to be spending 2 grand on a tent. Also, what would be a good size for 5-6 guys? I was thinking maybe a 12x14 but maybe might be small if we throw in a little space for cooking inside. I went to the wall tent sponsor site and like their stuff but is there any where else i could look that might save me a few dollars? Recommendations on stoves that are easy to transport?

I'd love to see some pics of your setups if you'd mind posting them. If I can manage it, my plan would be to get out in the bush where we hunt and build a little camp. Nothing special, maybe just haul out some wood and build a platform to put the tent on. Might be a little daunting since the area we hunt is about a 40 minute quad ride in the middle of nowhere. Hauling out equipment to do this might be a bit much. I only have one quad.

Redfrog
04-10-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm all for saving a few bux, but don't try to do it on a wall tent. Get the size, quality and features you want. If you don't, that will be your first regret.

If you think it's big enough go bigger.

If you have a travel trailer, I like to cook etc, in the trailer and use the tent for sleeping. I used a wood stove in the past for heat, but find with a good sleeping bag I'll skip the stove.
I like to use a poly fly as well. some guys don't.
I also like the ones with the vestibule in front.

Hogie135
04-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I suppose you're right, if im gonna spend that kind of money i should go bigger. I do tend to regret skimping on certain purchases when i want to save some money.

Where we hunt though, its quad access only so no trailer will be coming. It will be an all exclusive wall tent. Front porch and everything. I guess my real concern is what stove to get, that I can load on the quad and is not too big but will keep us nice and toasty at night. I like the one on the sponsors site, but $400 is pretty steep.

Big Daddy Badger
04-10-2014, 08:22 PM
I have a 12 x 14.
That many guys could fit but you'd be cheek to jowl.

I'd go bigger or buy two.

Mine only set me back about 800.... no complaints.

Hogie135
04-10-2014, 08:24 PM
I have a 12 x 14.
That many guys could fit but you'd be cheek to jowl.

I'd go bigger or buy two.

Mine only set me back about 800.... no complaints.

Is that $800 for tent and frame, cuz that'd be awesome. If so where'd ya shop?

Eric hunter
04-10-2014, 08:28 PM
If you go bigger and bigger you will have hard time to keep it warm in November.... Smaller and warmer is good too...

Hogie135
04-10-2014, 08:33 PM
If you go bigger and bigger you will have hard time to keep it warm in November.... Smaller and warmer is good too...

good point!

Bundo1980
04-10-2014, 08:37 PM
We have a 12x14 with a 5' porch, and there is room for 4 guys gear and wood stove. We got ours from Northwest Shelters in BC and they have been awesome thus far to deal with. We sent it back this yr to get the porch sewen in and they fixed a number of spark/burn holes we didnt ask and they didnt charge us. Frank is the owner and he is a great person to deal with.

We don't have a floor in ours and ppl have said that for winter camping a floor is huge bonus, we usually put a tarp down and then a rug seems to be ok, we forgot the tarp and rug 2 weeks ago on a fishing trip and the temp was down around -25/-30 and made it much colder in there you could feel the cold getting sucked outta the ground.

Like it was said above a bigger tent would suffice for that many guys (5-6) and i would suggest a diesel heater, we are going to look at upgrading from wood to diesel just solely for the winter camping trips a nice steady heat would be better than freezing after 3-4hrs when the stove goes out. A good bag is a bonus mine is a -30 never been cold yet, you will never have to stoke the fire if you have a good sleeping bag....just saying :sHa_shakeshout:

Prairiewolf
04-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Good choice going to a tent Hogie. I've camped in both tents and a trailer - the tent is far warmer and easier handling a crowd. You won't have an issue with -30 weather provided you've got a decent stove. I have an airtight in mine - works great but is 225# and cumbersome to move around. For a more mobile version, I recommend the Drolet DB00400, $443 at Lowe's. It doesn't have the fancy glass front but is only 56# and kicks out heat very well. Hint - throw your kitchenware in a good plastic garbage bag and put it in the stove when you pack in/out - might save a trip.

If you want 5-6 guys in your tent, with a stove, forget about a 12x14 unless you're using bunks - way too tight. My 14x16 will comfortably sleep 4-5 without bunks and still has room for a table and the stove. If you want some more space, add on the porch option - a good place to do your cooking and shelter your firewood.

My tent is from Capital Canvas out of BC - free shipping to anywhere in Canada I believe and Mark is great to work with. I believe they beat both Airdrie Canvas and Deluxe Wall Tents for price. I believe the quality of each of the three is comparable.

I might be setting up my tent over Easter to show dad - I'll get some pictures if I can. In the meantime, here's a description:

14'x16' tent with 4 rib frame, along with 5' porch, canvas floor, and a poly tarp fly. I clear the area I set up on of stones and debris, lay out vapor barrier (clear poly sheeting) and put the canvas floor on that - saves peeling it off the frozen ground in late November.

I built a wooden front out of 0.5" plywood to complete the porch, along with a door. This adds a bit of security to the tent when I'm not around, and provides a bit more shelter when cooking in the cold or dark. I set up a cookstove out there along with my woodpile. This area acts as a place to take boots and gear off - helps keeps the rest of the tent clean.

I use an airtight wood stove like many cabins have, just because I like seeing the fire and its a good point of reference if you have to get up to pee at night and you've had too many pops. Very heavy though. I have heat shields on either side of the stove in the corners and below it to avoid any issues or damaging the canvas. These should be used with any stove I think.

I wrap 4' Reflectix bubble insulation around the entire perimeter of the tent to help hold heat. You can walk around in shorts if you want to it does that good of a job. This can be bought at most hardware stores, including Lowe's.

I run two lanterns inside the tent proper and one in the porch area. These are plumbed into a 100# propane bullet along with the stove. Lasts all winter. Smaller tanks could be used if packing is an issue.

A table sits in the front left corner, the stove in the front right, and cots along the rear wall. Some string threaded through the frame is good in certain locations for hanging towels, wet clothes, etc.

Best of luck in your search. Check kijiji frequently - these appear once in awhile and guys seem realistic on prices for the most part.

PW.

big zeke
04-10-2014, 08:41 PM
I think you'll find that a tent that fits that many folks will be hard to heat. Unless you were packing in your camp, you might want to consider buying (or renting) an enclosed trailer (maybe in the 16-20' range) with either a permanent furnace or spotting a few portable heaters throughout...of course you'll need a genset but it's fairly cozy accommodations with minimal setup and constant comfort. In Nov the days are short and you'll be amazed how much wood the stove will eat to keep you comfy...wood that you have to cut during these shorter hunting days.

Hogie135
04-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Good choice going to a tent Hogie. I've camped in both tents and a trailer - the tent is far warmer and easier handling a crowd. You won't have an issue with -30 weather provided you've got a decent stove. I have an airtight in mine - works great but is 225# and cumbersome to move around. For a more mobile version, I recommend the Drolet DB00400, $443 at Lowe's. It doesn't have the fancy glass front but is only 56# and kicks out heat very well. Hint - throw your kitchenware in a good plastic garbage bag and put it in the stove when you pack in/out - might save a trip.

If you want 5-6 guys in your tent, with a stove, forget about a 12x14 unless you're using bunks - way too tight. My 14x16 will comfortably sleep 4-5 without bunks and still has room for a table and the stove. If you want some more space, add on the porch option - a good place to do your cooking and shelter your firewood.

My tent is from Capital Canvas out of BC - free shipping to anywhere in Canada I believe and Mark is great to work with. I believe they beat both Airdrie Canvas and Deluxe Wall Tents for price. I believe the quality of each of the three is comparable.

I might be setting up my tent over Easter to show dad - I'll get some pictures if I can. In the meantime, here's a description:

14'x16' tent with 4 rib frame, along with 5' porch, canvas floor, and a poly tarp fly. I clear the area I set up on of stones and debris, lay out vapor barrier (clear poly sheeting) and put the canvas floor on that - saves peeling it off the frozen ground in late November.

I built a wooden front out of 0.5" plywood to complete the porch, along with a door. This adds a bit of security to the tent when I'm not around, and provides a bit more shelter when cooking in the cold or dark. I set up a cookstove out there along with my woodpile. This area acts as a place to take boots and gear off - helps keeps the rest of the tent clean.

I use an airtight wood stove like many cabins have, just because I like seeing the fire and its a good point of reference if you have to get up to pee at night and you've had too many pops. Very heavy though. I have heat shields on either side of the stove in the corners and below it to avoid any issues or damaging the canvas. These should be used with any stove I think.

I wrap 4' Reflectix bubble insulation around the entire perimeter of the tent to help hold heat. You can walk around in shorts if you want to it does that good of a job. This can be bought at most hardware stores, including Lowe's.

I run two lanterns inside the tent proper and one in the porch area. These are plumbed into a 100# propane bullet along with the stove. Lasts all winter. Smaller tanks could be used if packing is an issue.

A table sits in the front left corner, the stove in the front right, and cots along the rear wall. Some string threaded through the frame is good in certain locations for hanging towels, wet clothes, etc.

Best of luck in your search. Check kijiji frequently - these appear once in awhile and guys seem realistic on prices for the most part.

PW.

Great post, very informative and things I will definately think about!

Prairiewolf
04-10-2014, 09:04 PM
http://www.airdriecanvas.ca/products/rv-and-camping/airdrie-canvas-wall-tents

When I was getting quotes on tents these guys were certainly not the cheapest, but their website does have a good sizing chart which taught me a few things. I upsized from my planned 14'x16' as a result.

I forgot to mention, if you do light your tent with lanterns, you take some of the pressure off the stove for heat. People forget how much heat a lantern can throw (I just did).

Also, when setting up the tent, do your best to get level ground where you can secure the tent firmly to the ground. You know when you're in a nylon tent and the wind causes a "bellows" action in the tent? - that purges heat from a tent really quickly. A secure and firm set can eliminate this. As can an internal frame. Externals or tree limbs can save cost, but IMO are a pain in the ass to set up and again, result in potential heat loss.

Big Daddy Badger
04-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Is that $800 for tent and frame, cuz that'd be awesome. If so where'd ya shop?

Liquidation Station Edmonton.

The frame is crappy...too light for high wind but I have a few cam poles and a chainsaw.:)

Its pretty heavy canvas...seems to hold out the water and wear well.
The tent is about 5 years old now and good enough for my purposes.

Prairiewolf
04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Liquidation Station Edmonton.

The frame is crappy...too light for high wind but I have a few cam poles and a chainsaw.:)

Its pretty heavy canvas...seems to hold out the water and wear well.
The tent is about 5 years old now and good enough for my purposes.

I remember those tents. I agree - the canvas was surprisingly good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that tent has a 4' wall on it, not a 5'. Without being in one, I thought the reduced headroom near the wall would restrict space. That said, if I'd seen $800 for the whole package, I probably would have sacrificed too.

sharpstick
04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I second Capital Canvas. Great to deal with, same tents as Deluxe and you save money.
I use a cylinder stove in my 14X16 and it works real good. The heavier stoves might be a pain to haul in but in cold weather, you will be glad you hauled it in. They hold heat so much better than those tin stoves. I have no experience with a diesel heater but I don't want to haul in jugs of fuel so I will stick with the wood heat. Best of luck and I will guarantee you won't regret buying a wall tent. For 4-5 guys, a 14X16 is minimum for sure. Also, I get a lot more use out of mine than just hunting trips, I've even used mine as a guest lodge at the lake, a nice shelter for a outside kids birthday party in cool wet weather. Go for it Hogie, you won't regret it.

lilsundance
04-10-2014, 09:33 PM
I will try and get some pics uploaded but we have a home made wall tent. cut size is 17x20 with 5 ft wall. We also have a 10ft addition we can add on if needed. It wouldn't be heated but we can keep gear in it. We have 4 in it constantly and this past fall had 6 for half the week. We have one corner for the cook, one for a table with the wood pile under it and set our cots around the rest with room for chairs in middle if needed.The stove is home made as well. We went to a truck wreckers and got an old steel fuel tank. Cut it down and welded a home made door on it. With 4 or 5 guys someone, the older guys lol, will get up at least once a night and stoke the stove up on the way out to the biffy. We have it had it so hot we have had to open the door to cool it off. I think the coldest we have been out was about -15 for a few days and never had to worry about getting cold. We will burn about 1/2 to 3/4 cord for 8 days hunting. But that's never letting the stove go totally out.

Big Daddy Badger
04-10-2014, 09:39 PM
I remember those tents. I agree - the canvas was surprisingly good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that tent has a 4' wall on it, not a 5'. Without being in one, I thought the reduced headroom near the wall would restrict space. That said, if I'd seen $800 for the whole package, I probably would have sacrificed too.

Yup...4 foot wall.

The stove pipe hole is tight as well but you either find smaller pipe or open it up a smidge.

Not a bad deal though... I can set it up by myself...just takes a bit of planning.

Hogie135
04-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Yup...4 foot wall.

The stove pipe hole is tight as well but you either find smaller pipe or open it up a smidge.

Not a bad deal though... I can set it up by myself...just takes a bit of planning.

I can't see it being any worse than mod tent to setup.....probably the exact same.

Big Daddy Badger
04-10-2014, 09:47 PM
I can't see it being any worse than mod tent to setup.....probably the exact same.

Nope...the frame is different.

The easiest thing to do is to build an external frame from poles (between trees) and then hoist it up....or raise it at the apex between two trees and start putting the frame in place as you secure it.

I wish that I had some A-frames and perlons to modify for it....that would be so sweet.

lilsundance
04-10-2014, 09:52 PM
cooks corner is on the left and table for food etc on the right. Last years set up
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/lil_sundance/DSCF1992.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/lil_sundance/media/DSCF1992.jpg.html)
with 4 in it leaves a lot more room
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/lil_sundance/hunting2009020.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/lil_sundance/media/hunting2009020.jpg.html)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/lil_sundance/hunting2009006.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/lil_sundance/media/hunting2009006.jpg.html)

Smokinyotes
04-10-2014, 09:53 PM
A 12x14 is way to small for 5-6 guys if you plan on cooking inside. Ours is 16 x24. I wouldn't want it any smaller for 5-6 guys.

Bassett
04-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Me and my dad have a 14x16 and it fits us two comfortably.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mine was custom made and the roof is tarpaulin. Very durable and wont ever leak on us! Cost about half of what your looking to pay.

We have had it in -40 and as long as you have a wood stove youll be fine.

Mike_W
04-11-2014, 01:07 PM
I have a 14x16 with 5 foot walls.
First off five foot walls are a must. We have an internal frame which is wicked, so much quicker and easier to set up.
We have slept 4 in it but that's getting tight, 3 guys and a table with a propane stove for coffee makes it comfortable. Especially winter camping you are gonna have a ton of gear clothing and food to keep from freezing.
I would go bigger than 14x16 if I was going to hunt with 5-6 guys consistently otherwise do what we did in our camp we have two 14x16 tents for 6 guys that way if just me and my pops wanna go chase elk or go somewhere else its a lot easier to transport and notbe too much of an overkill.

When winter camping make sure you get a tarp to cover the tent not that the tent wouldn't stay dry with some snow but the tarp actually helps retain heat in the tent.

Good luck

fingershooter
04-12-2014, 11:47 PM
my 14X16 with 5' walls (a must) is roomy for 4 guys. I have bunks which go across the back wall. Another set along the side, would acomodate 2 more and you would have to be smart on space management. I have a 14"x14"x24" wood stove that, at -25 to -30, will have you in a tee shirt and last 6 hours. A large (+ 10') porch will really help with space inside.

nimrod
04-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Great information here, I have had a few wall tents 10 x 12 or 14x16, all good for what I needed at the time, now I have a military tent ( that I bought off an AO member), it comes in sections, that are 8 x 20 or so, and each section has a stove hole, I have 3 sections, so I can go 8 x 20 or 16 x20 or 24 x 20, then add the south and north end walls, it is now my best option, it gives me options on who is hunting with Us, I will post pics soon she the 4 ft drift that blocks my shed door melts, OH and I have 3 stoves also.

honda450
04-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Great information here, I have had a few wall tents 10 x 12 or 14x16, all good for what I needed at the time, now I have a military tent ( that I bought off an AO member), it comes in sections, that are 8 x 20 or so, and each section has a stove hole, I have 3 sections, so I can go 8 x 20 or 16 x20 or 24 x 20, then add the south and north end walls, it is now my best option, it gives me options on who is hunting with Us, I will post pics soon she the 4 ft drift that blocks my shed door melts, OH and I have 3 stoves also.

Yours look like this nimrod? We used it one fall huntin. US military I believe.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0682_zps44ab6d42.jpg (http://s831.photobucket.com/user/honda450990/media/100_0682_zps44ab6d42.jpg.html)

Sooner
04-13-2014, 11:55 AM
I have a 12x14 and 4 guys and gear is ok. We don't cook or eat in there. -20 was fine, never been out when it is colder. I have a small 20 inch air tight, bigger stove means less nightly re fills. 5 - 6 guys go a bit bigger than you think you need so that you have some elbow room.

nimrod
04-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Yours look like this nimrod? We used it one fall huntin. US military I believe.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0682_zps44ab6d42.jpg (http://s831.photobucket.com/user/honda450990/media/100_0682_zps44ab6d42.jpg.html)

Very close but mine has no window's on the north south walls, and my man door in on the corner of the wall.

Burney
04-15-2014, 10:55 AM
We use a 12x14 wall tent for our hunting trips, we slept 3 guys in it last year with cots (had about a foot beside each cot) and had a little square talbe set up to eat and sit at. It was tight! You could fit 4 guys in if you removed the table to eat at.

If you went to a bunk bed system you would free up some space

Also look at a diesel heater, it maintains a great temp and doesnt fluctuate like a wood stove does in a -20 weather. We just did the switch as the guys we hunted with this year had one for his tent and it was amazing. Worth the extra cost

Ice Fishing Maniac
04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Years ago we built a wood stove out of 24" OD pipeline pipe. Used this in a 14x16 wall tent with 5' walls, set up in the mountains for winter sledding all winter. It has been below -30 at time and we are inside in t-shirts, might of been some rum antifreeze too:sHa_shakeshout::snapoutofit:

Anyhow the stove worked great, kept heat along time and we were alble to use large chopped wood.

We used the stove at moose camp for several years as well, and when we bought a 16x20 tent (5 years ago) we used the wood stove one year then switched to a diesel heater. Works great, but now we haul diesel into camp which is ok since we have someone going by the trucks if not once a day during moose hunting, maybe every 2-3rd and we bring some more back in.

mad mountain mike
04-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Buy larger than you think you need is the advice I followed a few years ago. I bought a 14x15 with a 5 foot porch. It's a great tent when 3 or 4 people are going but when I'm alone it's a big job to put it up and takes a lot of wood to heat it. I don't spend as much time in a tent as I used to but still spend more than 60 nights a year in one. A couple of years ago I bought a 10x12 with a 5 foot porch and love it when I'm hunting alone or working out of it in the winter time. Sets up quickly and takes a lot less wood to heat it.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/y6arusyz.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/syhanevu.jpg

Brooneg
04-16-2014, 06:22 PM
I've been hunting for a tent for a while too. I think Ive finally got the wife convinced. Helps that our 2 oldest boys are getting into the hunting/shooting game with me so I get tto use them as an excuse for needing a big tent for the "father/son bonding time"!!!

roper1
04-16-2014, 08:52 PM
I've been hunting for a tent for a while too. I think Ive finally got the wife convinced. Helps that our 2 oldest boys are getting into the hunting/shooting game with me so I get tto use them as an excuse for needing a big tent for the "father/son bonding time"!!!

Ah, just a reminder if you're taking mama along. Tents aren't soundproof.......or so the story goes.

Big Daddy Badger
04-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Ah, just a reminder if you're taking mama along. Tents aren't soundproof.......or so the story goes.

They are great for shadow puppets as well....I heard...:thinking-006:

Drewski Canuck
04-16-2014, 10:58 PM
For your Winter camping, get some INSULATED Poly Tarps. First year using one, draped over the rear 2/3 of the tent to almost the ground on a 12 x 14. Huge difference in holding heat. Back wall was not insulated and drained heat like crazy. Time for another insulated tarp.

Front of tent where the heater was still lost heat, but at least it was bearable in - 20. Stove uses a lot of wood in that temp. Get a big big stove. Cut a lot of wood.

Drewski

SportHuntingHelp
04-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Bit the bullet putting in my order for a wall tent today 12 X 14 with 5' walls and 5 ' porch.

Ice Fishing Maniac
04-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Bit the bullet putting in my order for a wall tent today 12 X 14 with 5' walls and 5 ' porch.

Go with a bigger porch if you can change it. You will like it better IMO. We went with an 8' over a 5' and wish we went 10' for our 16x20 tent setup.

:scared0018:

alaskatentandtarp
05-14-2014, 01:14 PM
If you are looking at a new tent for extreme cold weather camping, check out the Arctic Oven line of tents at www.alaskatent.com.

They are more expensive than a standard wall tent but the investment is worth it in the long run. Stove compatible and a moisture wicking body can heat the interior to 70*F while outside temperatures exceed -40*F. Tested from Greenland to Antarctica and over 12 models with various color options to fit your needs.

Chris