PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting

Hogie135
04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
So the past two years that I've been hunting I have been extremely lucky. My first year, two years ago saw me tag a nice 13 point buck with the help of a buddy of mine who taught me the ropes of hunting whitetail. Second year, this past season I tagged a nice 5x5 bull elk with my bow. First elk hunt and first bow hunt.

This upcoming season will be my third and I have moose left to hunt. I should be drawing my moose tag for the late season this year, judging by last years draw results unless ive just jinxed myself by saying so. I'm kind of torn between trying it with my bow or taking my rifle. I'm looking for late season moose hunting tricks, tips and techniques that may work in my favour. I doubt calling would prove helpful as the rut will be long over. Im basically thinking ill have to find some tracks and following them or stumbling upon a big ole bull.

Are they easy, or i should say easier to hunt in late season vs early season? Would it be naive of me to think I could stalk up to one with my bow? I've been leaning towards just taking my bow out for my hunts this year but I kind of like having my freezer with something in it at the end of it the season and Im just not that skilled yet to just take my bow and I don't want to waste my draw tag should I get lucky enough to get it.

In a nut shell, im just looking for late season moose tips.

*BigSexyHunter*
04-11-2014, 08:05 AM
This is coming from a guy who has never bowhunted, but I would imagine you could creep up one one... I have taken 4 moose, all in November with my rifle. I have been out with people in the early season, and as you can imagine they are a lot more responsive to calls. I prefer late because they are not as ****ed up and stinky. They seem to be stupider in late, in my experience. All a call will do in late is get him to stop walking look at you, then continue walking. Not very interested in you. Again this is in my experience, the same WMU, all yearlings but one.

Wish you all the best in your hunt! Hopefully you can complete your grande slam! :sign0111:

Lefty-Canuck
04-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I prefer early season moose hunting as they are more responsive to calling, not to say you can't get a curious moose to check out a call later in the season.

LC

Mike_W
04-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Nothing is easy with a bow but you got an elk with a bow so I would venture to say you would do just fine with a bow for moose.

One thing to consider and look into, but I know where I hunt elk if I draw a late season tag I can still hunt that zone in a archery season. If you could do this for moose in your area that would be great of course if there is an early season draw you cannot hunt that early season.

Could be the best of both worlds get out and hunt with your bow during calling season and if you are unsuccessful with a bow grab the rifle when the season changes.

Late season moose kind of hang out in the same area but are really hard to pattern so your best bet is covering ground.

Hogie135
04-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Nothing is easy with a bow but you got an elk with a bow so I would venture to say you would do just fine with a bow for moose.

One thing to consider and look into, but I know where I hunt elk if I draw a late season tag I can still hunt that zone in a archery season. If you could do this for moose in your area that would be great of course if there is an early season draw you cannot hunt that early season.

Could be the best of both worlds get out and hunt with your bow during calling season and if you are unsuccessful with a bow grab the rifle when the season changes.

Late season moose kind of hang out in the same area but are really hard to pattern so your best bet is covering ground.

That would be ideal. I was unsure if I drew a tag for late season that I could still buy a tag for archery season. archery season falls one week before early season up this way, which would work out perfectly.

FallAirFever
04-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Hogie,
I for one am envious of your success so far in your short hunting career, good job bud!!
I have only hunted early season moose with a rifle, calling big game is so much fun! I travel the bush a lot in the cold months and there are a lot of moose out and about late in the season feeding in cut block, on cut lines etc. Once the snow falls they sure can stick out!

As far as hunting in archery season with your draw tag you are good to go as long as you are hunting the same zone

"A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued. Holders of a Landowner Special Licence are subject to the terms/conditions of their licence."

Taken from here: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/gameregs.html

I wish you good luck, nothing like a freezer full of moose meat!

Mike_W
04-11-2014, 09:24 AM
That would be ideal. I was unsure if I drew a tag for late season that I could still buy a tag for archery season. archery season falls one week before early season up this way, which would work out perfectly.

Just to be clear you cannot buy a general tag and a draw tag although you should be able to hunt the same zone with your draw tag in the general archery only season.

When is the early season draw?

Hogie135
04-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Hogie,
I for one am envious of your success so far in your short hunting career, good job bud!!
I have only hunted early season moose with a rifle, calling big game is so much fun! I travel the bush a lot in the cold months and there are a lot of moose out and about late in the season feeding in cut block, on cut lines etc. Once the snow falls they sure can stick out!

As far as hunting in archery season with your draw tag you are good to go as long as you are hunting the same zone

"A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued. Holders of a Landowner Special Licence are subject to the terms/conditions of their licence."

Taken from here: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/gameregs.html

I wish you good luck, nothing like a freezer full of moose meat!

Thanks for the reference! I completely missed that part in there. I may be going for Moose instead of Elk now with my bow come the end of August. So many decisions to make.

I've never tasted moose but am def looking forward to having a chance this year.

Hogie135
04-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Just to be clear you cannot buy a general tag and a draw tag although you should be able to hunt the same zone with your draw tag in the general archery only season.

When is the early season draw?

Archery season where i hunt is last week of august only for antlered moose. Early draw is September I beleive.

I think I've got it now, If I am drawn for my late season tag I can purchase that tag and use it in the archery only season, provided i hunt the same WMU as what I was drawn for. Buying a general tag for archery season would void my draw tag.

Moo Snukkle
04-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Late season is very simple. Hunt them where the food is. Pray for -30 temps and you will find them stacked in willow choked swampland. Tough to get within bow range cuz snow/ground can be very crunchy. Great time to hunt with muzzleloader for the close range experience. A moose looking nervous at 80 yds probably wont let you get to 40 or 50 for a bow shot. Hate to see you go home emptyhanded.