PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : Fishing Gear for Outdoor Ed Trip

Pike fisher
04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
I am a high school teacher in Lethbridge and am planning a week long outdoor ed trip into the Lakeland Provincial Park for this summer. Most of the 15 students I am taking are not fishermen and do not have fishing gear. I am trying to come up with ways to keep the cost down for the students, so my brother suggested I appeal to the AO members to see if anyone has some extra gear in their box(es) that they would be willing to donate to our trip.

We would mostly be targeting pike and walleye so I am hoping for bottom bouncers and harnesses, spoons, crankbaits, rubbertail jigs, swimbaits, leaders, or whatever else anyone would be willing to donate. Anything we get will be less stuff that the kids have to buy (since I already told them they needed to buy a decent rod with good line). The students are super stoked about the trip and this would great to help us along in our planning. You can pm me to work out details.

Thanks (in advance).

rafhone
04-10-2014, 10:36 PM
I have some unwanted tackle if you have someone that can pick it up in calgary.

Flieguy
04-11-2014, 07:15 AM
If you're buying 10 or so setups, the local fishing store might give you a bulk deal. Call or email them and tell them what you're looking for.

calgarychef
04-11-2014, 07:54 AM
A willow pole with a hook and worm will catch lots of fish and it's pretty inexpensive.

-JR-
04-12-2014, 07:49 AM
A willow pole with a hook and worm will catch lots of fish and it's pretty inexpensive.

I almost agree with you ,I have taken a few people with me fishing and they could not cast a rod, I even gave them my wives rod ,the old push the button reel.
It was kinda of funny to see the hook get dropped behind them.
Thought I was going to loss my rod in the lake ,ended up jigging for walleye instead of casting for pike.

In the long run ,get these kids set up with their own rods so they are set for life, and have them practice on the lawn. Not sure if you the teacher fish and thought about safety, might be safe to have the barbs pinched and have them wear safety glasses if they are fishing close together like in a boat .

Anyways Congrats..... I wish I had a teacher like you !

Pike fisher
04-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks for those of you that dropped me a pm with offers of gear. There is still room in the box for more if you happened to have have something that would work.

JR - I agree with you that they should be set up with a decent rod that will last them for a while. I was also hoping to also fill their tackle boxes a bit so that they could catch fish without worrying too much about the start up cost.

BTW - I am a hardcore fisherman (my three biggest pike this winter were over 22lb). Our school also does a flyfishing trip to the upper Oldman/Livingstone rivers each fall. The students are pestering me about starting up a winter camping trip, but that might be more than I'm ready to get into at this point. I'll see how this summer pans out first:)

Secret coulee
04-12-2014, 10:31 PM
You should talk to fish and wildlife I no they donate back all the fishing gear that has been confiscated from charged related infractions to kids functions and schools

Pike fisher
04-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the advice Secret coulee - I will look into that.

Agb Crash
04-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Penny lures,

By some plain hooks, lots of split rings. Drill 2 holes in each penny.
Attach with split ring. Attach split ring to last penny to tie on to. Attach hook by split ring to last penny. 3 pennies worked best on our scout trip canoeing Lakeland.

Crash

Pike fisher
04-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Great idea - I will be sure to give it a try. Would awesome to out fish the kids with a couple of pennies:)

dodgeboy1979
04-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Also you can go to a dollar store etc.... and buy teaspoons and tables spoons, cut the handle off and drill a couple holes in them for the hook and swivel. Have the students paint them up to their liking.

hunterbyheart
05-26-2014, 05:57 PM
What a great idea! It sounds like that would be a lot of fun!

Wish I had these sorts of opportunities when I was in school!

All the best!

Pike fisher
05-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Just want to send a shout out to those of you that donated towards the outdoor ed trip. Everything that you donated will be well used and is appreciated by the students. Thanks to:

1. lolanr - for the "brand new still in the package" spoons. Definite pike killers.
2. Hacman - for the two huge trays full of powerbaits, spoons, leaders and other assorted gear. The trays are awesome and so is the gear.
3. chubbdarter - for the three quality rods, huge amount of powerbait, crankbaits, spinner rigs, jigging spoons and so much more that I can't even list it all.
4. Marksman Sports in Lethbridge - for donating $60 worth of mouth openers (a definite must for rookie pike fisherman) and fish chains.
5. Wholesale Sports in Lethbridge - for donating $50 which was used to purchase jig heads to go with all of the powerbaits that Hacman and chubbdarter donated.

Unfortunately, Canadian Tire (Southside) in Lethbridge did not come through for us. If you are in the Lethbridge area and would still like to donate some gear, we won't turn your offer down. Send me a pm and we'll make it work.

Thanks also to those of you that made great suggestions for the trip....although I won't be giving the kids willow poles with a string (it's not 1836 any more).LOL

I will post pictures and stories after we return in mid-July.