PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for a new knife

brohymn2
04-11-2014, 07:11 PM
What do you guys recommend

CanadianPsycho
04-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Bark River bravo one. Great all purpose knife, holds a great edge, sharpens nicely, expensive, but worth every single penny.

north american hunter
04-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Bark river or puma both great knives.

grouse_hunter
04-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Cold Steel or Fällkniven, money well spent. Check out Bushcraft Canada (http://www.bushcraftcanada.com/products/)

cowmanbob
04-11-2014, 08:05 PM
The Outdoor Edge Razor knife and a spare pack of blades will last a very long time.

Zuludog
04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
What will you be using it for and what's your budget? :)
I personally have a Hanta Pirahana, outdoors edge, Puma folder, Mora and many others. All are excellent in their own right as are many other knives.

HyperMOA
04-11-2014, 09:40 PM
I have a 3" Benchmade that I have come to absolutely love. Its the best knife that I have ever used for skinning. That's all I use it for. It has great edge retention.

Mike_W
04-11-2014, 10:29 PM
I have a Enzo trapper in D2 steel. Pretty wicked knife for the hip anytime out in the bush.
I also have a knives of Alaska magnum hunter and it it a great hunting and skinning knife!!

bsmitty27
04-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Grohman #1 is a classic Canadian knife. Knives of Alaska are nice. I have been disappointed with the fit and finish I have seen in pumas the last year or so. Really need to know what you are lookin for to be any more help.

graybeard
04-12-2014, 07:16 AM

I will support the ENZO as well....the quality is in the steel......I have too many knives and thinking of selling a few with one being an a used ENZO folder.

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/detail.cfm?product=279

calgarychef
04-12-2014, 09:51 AM
For my money I'd buy a mora or two, inexpensive, great steel, easy to sharpen and the right size and shape to do darned near everything you want. Take the money you saved and put it towards a nice hunting trip.

El-Brento
04-12-2014, 11:18 AM
http://lonhumphreyknives.com/?page_id=10
I got one of his brutes at Christmas, similar to the first picture. He's got a video showing him testing a knife that's pretty cool.

Ken H
04-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Nothing wrong with the cutco d blade knife.

covey ridge
04-12-2014, 11:57 AM
The Outdoor Edge Razor knife and a spare pack of blades will last a very long time.

I bought a couple as gifts and kept one for myself but have not used yet. I used the Outdoor Edge swing blade this year and really like it. Liked it enough that I gathered up a whole bunch of bucks and other knives and donated them to an outdoor cause.

Alberta Bigbore
04-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Havalon Piranta Edge. I put off buying one for years. My swing blade.. my cutco all sit now collecting dust. This past season I did my moose and my friends moose and three deer all gutless method except for one of the deer.....with two blades on the Havalon. AMAZING KNIFE!!!

bush junkie
04-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Cutco, i skinned over 6 animals with mine!!

CaberTosser
04-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Are you looking for a hunting knife or an everyday carry knife? Folder or fixed blade?

I went through a few everyday carry folders from S&W, Gerber & CRKT that were unsatisfactory, usually due to the pocket-clip screws backing out. Though some loosened up and some wouldn't hold an edge very long. The odd thing as how fast loss of the pocket clip screws would happen, as I would notice a loose pocket clip. It seems once those tiny screws get loose they back out at breakneck speed. I picked up a small Buck Vantage that was nice and the pocket clip stayed put so I was pleased, then I found a larger version with the laminate handle and have had that as my everyday carry for well over a year now with zero issues; it seems to hold an edge better than the other brands I've had as well.

(Not mine, photo culled from Google Images)
http://blog.gear.co.ua/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Buck-Vantage-avid-8-blog-.jpg

This is the fixed blade Buck Ergohunter Pro I take hunting. Its made of S30V steel (random Google image):
http://www.woodsmonkey.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/EH2.jpg

I liked the Ergohunter so much that I got the folder version, it comes with a belt sheath and thats the only way to carry it due to the grippy nature of the handle material; its nearly impossible to insert or remove from a pocket, plus its rather on the fat side.

cowmanbob
04-12-2014, 01:19 PM
I bought a couple as gifts and kept one for myself but have not used yet. I used the Outdoor Edge swing blade this year and really like it. Liked it enough that I gathered up a whole bunch of bucks and other knives and donated them to an outdoor cause.

Since using the Razor knife,the buck and the gerbers and others are now used only to cut twine. I've butchered three beef on the first blade and it will likely do another three before needing a touch-up.

covey ridge
04-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Since using the Razor knife,the buck and the gerbers and others are now used only to cut twine. I've butchered three beef on the first blade and it will likely do another three before needing a touch-up.

It seems to be a really nice knife. I hope mines serves me as well as yours. When I was looking at knives with removable blades I also looked at the Havalon Piranta. After changing blades a few times on each it was my opinion that the change on the Outdoor Edge could be done easier and safer and without tools.

collicutt
04-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Grohman, I have a bunch of them and CANADIAN MADE

abwtfanatic
04-12-2014, 05:52 PM
For my money I'd buy a mora or two, inexpensive, great steel, easy to sharpen and the right size and shape to do darned near everything you want. Take the money you saved and put it towards a nice hunting trip.

x2 $10.00 at Peavey Mart

leeelmer
04-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Buy a custom knife from a local craftsmen. Money well spent and you will always want to use it. Buy a cheep knife you throw it away brake it beat it don't care about it. A custom will be a heirloom you will be proud to pack and use in field. Also to hand down.
My 2cents

jungleboy
04-12-2014, 08:12 PM
I have this Shrade Oldtimer I have had for over 30 yrs I have probably gutted and skinned over 50 animals with it . It fits my hand ,it needs to be resharpened on occasion but it always does the job. I have a lot of other knives around but this one always goes hunting when I go hunting. The down side is they went under and all the new ones are made in China .

The moral of the story is, you don't have to spend a boat load of money on a knife to get a good one .you get a quality knife that fits your hand and does the job and you will always want to carry it whether you pay $25 or $500 for it

Cottus
04-12-2014, 11:29 PM

Yes. :thinking-006:

fzo
04-13-2014, 01:37 AM
these are some good knifes

Segundo
04-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Tetlock knives.

Had one made 20 years ago and I was using it yesterday.

And that knife has seen more country than the average blade.......

I'll be handing it down to my son some day.......

Big pete
04-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Fallkniven f1 is a great knife fairly expensive at 200 plus dollars but will last a lifetime

CanuckShooter
04-17-2014, 01:20 PM

I have a Havelon, that I won off their site, and found it to be an awesome little knife. Then I saw the ads for the Outdoor Edge Razor and wanted one immediately, funny thing was I couldn't find one left of the shelves of our stores so they must be very popular.

A buddy went to Winnipeg and they had none in the stores there, none here, another buddy was traveling in the usa and finally found me one ($45), and I have another coming from Edmonton ($65 with one pack spare blades)

I hope they are as good as the Havelon because I am going to end up with two. :)

CountryLife94
04-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Absolutely love my Havalon Piranta!! Almost lost a thumb because of its sharpness aha, but it simply can't be beat!

Shrike
04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Knives of Alaska, made f D2 tool steel. Bit more pricey but superb.
Find at Cabellas and wholesale sports.

Foxton Gundogs
04-23-2014, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't give you 2 cents for a Havalon. The work good for the finishing work paws etc, but they don't hold an edge well and changing those blades multiple times with bloody slippery hands is a recipe for stitches, I'd much rather touch up a good knife once or twice. They are just a gimmick for people who can't (or don't want to) keep an edge on a good knife. But that's just my opinion to each their own.