PDA

View Full Version : productive night calving cows.

coy coyote
04-11-2014, 09:27 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/stuecoyote/Mobile%20Uploads/20140129_001315_zpsf70cf2ae.jpg. Its was 3:30 in the morning end of February. Watching cows from the bunkhouse window and could see a few milling around in a circle. I thought well one most have calved. Jumped on the horse rode till I seen him bedded down. Backed up really slow and went inside pickedup the 12 gauge with some clay loads and smoked him from 15 yards. Think he was suicidal. I m surprised the cows didn't fuss over him. The sound of the the 12 should woke my partner up in a hurry. Lol

marlin1
04-11-2014, 09:38 PM
clay loads , impressive . nice shot

coy coyote
04-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Cheap and its what I must have grabbed in the dark. He would have been skinned had a grabbed some double odd. Didn't wanna risk injuring a cow with heavier shot

South west trappin RG
04-11-2014, 09:53 PM
I had 40 head of my owne till 2009 and **** hit the fan or mabe the processors didn't want to pay what they were worth. I loved being part of the cattel producers and was planning on making a go of it but someone higher up set me straight. Love the look on the mothers with the yappers laying there.

coy coyote
04-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Ya prices haunt been the best in recent years buts it a good cheque now. Neighbor ranch sold there 7 weigh calves for 1400$ per calf. We run enough to make it worth while.

Smokinyotes
04-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Seven weight calves $1400? That's 2 bucks a lb really. Guess I sold mine too soon.

coy coyote
04-11-2014, 10:24 PM
DLMS . Internet auction. We contracted our fats 1450 weighs 1. 47 a pound end of march delivery. That was at weaning time in Sep.

Smokinyotes
04-11-2014, 10:28 PM
That's where cattle prices should be. Especially with barley being down can make a few bucks on fat cattle.

greylynx
04-11-2014, 10:29 PM
For what it is worth, be careful of the mange if coyotes are making it in that close to the calving barns.

I say this from experience on my cousin's place.

Nice picture.

coy coyote
04-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I have yet to snare or shoot a mangy one within a 35 mile radius of rtherest place. We keep them healthy. Lol . But people drop their cats off here and I see 20 to 30 in the hay stack and half with mange. We run a up to date herd health program .

Ranch11
04-12-2014, 05:47 AM
Seven weight calves $1400? That's 2 bucks a lb really. Guess I sold mine too soon.

We averaged 1100$ for 420 weight calves! Wish I had another 200 to sell!

H380
04-12-2014, 06:55 AM
I have yet to snare or shoot a mangy one within a 35 mile radius of rtherest place. We keep them healthy. Lol . But people drop their cats off here and I see 20 to 30 in the hay stack and half with mange. We run a up to date herd health program .

No mange in your area , want us to ship you some ? LOL ..not too many here , but they definitley have their spots where the number is higher . Called and nailed 3 in one loacation , all singles in a month . Nasty to see ,believe I did em a favour . The neighbours yard dog came down with mange a couple years back and I suspect that coyotes is where he picked it up . Nice job on the brave but not so smart coyote .

praire hunter
04-12-2014, 08:00 AM
cow/calf pairs were bringing as high as $2750.00 in lethbridge last week

ceedub
04-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Clay loads work awesome for shooting predators in and around the yard. Last year I killed a coyote and 4 or 5 foxes in or near the lambing barns/chicken coop with target/clay loads in my Beretta. Drops them on the spot at up to 35 yards or so.

-Craig

Pathfinder76
04-12-2014, 08:21 AM
There are some things people should keep to themselves.

coy coyote
04-12-2014, 11:22 AM
I have one spot that I stalk and shoot at the wife's place it's near pig barn compost pile and I ll sneak up and its like shooting gophers. Up to 12 dogs bust out of there and theres eight that look like buffalo. Just hair on the shoulders and head. As far as clay loads go. Some people need a full clip with their 7mm to knock over a buck and some get it done with a single 243 round.

Faststeel
04-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Quite a statement coming from you.

Pathfinder76
04-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Quite a statement coming from you.

Oh? Please explain. I'm all ears.

Kauna
04-12-2014, 11:55 AM

this one and only time I agree with you Chuck....haha

Pathfinder76
04-12-2014, 12:08 PM
this one and only time I agree with you Chuck....haha

Then at least you've been right once.

Kauna
04-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Then at least you've been right once.

and you as well .....

Pathfinder76
04-12-2014, 12:58 PM
and you as well .....

haha.

CaberTosser
04-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Being a city slicker I'm curious as to what Chucks taking offense to, the cattle price discussion, or the use of clay loads? Or is it something else entirely that went under my radar?

elkhunter11
04-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Being a city slicker I'm curious as to what Chucks taking offense to, the cattle price discussion, or the use of clay loads? Or is it something else entirely that went under my radar?

Take a look at section 53 of the Wildlife Act.

CaberTosser
04-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Take a look at section 53 of the Wildlife Act.

And here I thought that predator control would be an exception to that rule.... Not particularly sensible when a person can't protect their livelihood and adhere to the law at the same time.

Pathfinder76
04-12-2014, 01:40 PM
And here I thought that predator control would be an exception to that rule.... Not particularly sensible when a person can't protect their livelihood and adhere to the law at the same time.

And even less sensible to brag about it on the World Wide Web. We don't need to hear about it.

CaberTosser
04-12-2014, 01:54 PM
And even less sensible to brag about it on the World Wide Web. We don't need to hear about it.

Agreed, but I don't see LE pursuing it. They'll certainly be online looking for firearms and wildlife traffickers, but they're most likely going to leave something like one this alone; there's no victim, no evidence, and no danger posed to the public. I frequently admit online to speeding or talking on my cell while driving all the time and LE has yet to kick in my door.

saddleup
04-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Bringing up sec. 53 in this instance is absolutely ridiculous. Chuck, don't know where you live, but you need to get out in the rural area for a while. This type of dispatch goes on year round when it comes to protection of livestock. The fact of the matter is it is protection of livestock and livelihood and I doubt there is a F&W officer in the whole province that would even bother to look into this. This post started as a very interesting post... then you came along

catnthehat
04-12-2014, 03:31 PM
If a complaint is made the F&W must investigate it, whether it is from a neighbour( not likely) or an anti hunter type
What happens on the spread should stay on the spread , but that's jut my opinion
Cat

saddleup
04-12-2014, 03:41 PM
You are right, if a complaint is made it must be investigated......... and then the investigation would die right there.

catnthehat
04-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately I go not have the same onfidence in our F&W officers these days as you do .
Cat

saddleup
04-12-2014, 04:30 PM
not gonna argue too much with that one....lol

saddleup
04-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Anyhooo... lets get back to the post... thanks op for posting your pics and stories on the net. I appreciated them and any stories/pics related to coyote hunting/shooting/calling. Please keep posting and sorry for the derail...

elkhunter11
04-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately I go not have the same onfidence in our F&W officers these days as you do .

+1 In this instance SSS is likely the best course of action.

coy coyote
04-12-2014, 04:49 PM
No one is bragging about it. Sometimes sharing a picture is the worst a person can do. Never intended to break any laws. Just protecting my stock. I did not intentionally go hunting him. He was a threat .

gitrdun
04-12-2014, 05:03 PM

Why? Any person who is the owner or occupant of privately owned land or a resident authorized in writing, ect. ect. ect. may without a license hunt black bear or coyote on such lands at all time of year. Have you ever seen what a coyote will do to a newborn calf? I've watched from my window. My rancher neighbour expects me to protect his calves. Once the calves are grown and able to stand on all four, no problem as I pity any dog that comes into sight of those black angus moms. You people that walk the isles of the supermarkets stuffing your shopping carts with Alberta grade A beef need to consider how it got there in the first place.

gitrdun
04-12-2014, 05:09 PM
+1 In this instance SSS is likely the best course of action.

BS. The OP strictly protected his new born calves. Nothing illegal, unethical or otherwise. No reason to shut up or hide it. Totally cool as far as I'm concerned. When you're willing to eat toffu as a protein source, let us know. I hear toffu goes good with rice cakes.

elkhunter11
04-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Why? Any person who is the owner or occupant of privately owned land or a resident authorized in writing, ect. ect. ect. may without a license hunt black bear or coyote on such lands at all time of year. Have you ever seen what a coyote will do to a newborn calf? I've watched from my window. My rancher neighbour expects me to protect his calves. Once the calves are grown and able to stand on all four, no problem as I pity any dog that comes into sight of those black angus moms. You people that walk the isles of the supermarkets stuffing your shopping carts with Alberta grade A beef need to consider how it got there in the first place.

BS. The OP strictly protected his new born calves. Nothing illegal, unethical or otherwise. No reason to shut up or hide it. Totally cool as far as I'm concerned. When you're willing to eat toffu as a protein source, let us know. I hear toffu goes good with rice cakes.

Here is section 53.

Except at a lawfully established and operated shooting range, a
person shall not discharge a firearm during the period referred to in
section 28

I don't see any exemption listed for shooting coyotes or bears outside of the listed hours, in defense of your livestock. I agree that there should be one, but I don't see one listed.

gitrdun
04-12-2014, 05:36 PM
You are right, if a complaint is made it must be investigated......... and then the investigation would die right there.

Elk, for crying out loud, section this, section that. Why must you dissect every gd thing into tiny morsels? I quoted word for word outta the hunting regulations. Can't you for once in your miserable life be human? Darn it anyhow, meeting you or Chuck would be likewise to having red ants in my Stanfields. :sign0176:

gitrdun
04-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Cat

And why? All of the FW officers I've encountered are stand up guys that are over worked, under funded, and just good people. I for one have confidence and respect for those officers in my neck of the woods.

H380
04-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Elk, for crying out loud, section this, section that. Why must you dissect every gd thing into tiny morsels? I quoted word for word outta the hunting regulations. Can't you for once in your miserable life be human? Darn it anyhow, meeting you or Chuck would be likewise to having red ants in my Stanfields. :sign0176:

In defense of elk and chuck , all they were saying is that it is illegal to discharge a firearm after dark . Should it be illegal if used in stopping a threat to your livelihood ? I don't think so . Many of us would have done the same as the OP , but just not posted a photo or made it public knowledge .

elkhunter11
04-12-2014, 05:46 PM
I quoted word for word outta the hunting regulations.

And where in the statement that you quoted does it say that you are allowed to discharge firearms 24hours a day to hunt those black bears or coyotes?

By the way ,the hunting regulation booklet is not a legal document, as the disclaimer printed on page 11 of the 2013 version clearly states. The Wildlife Act contains the actual legislation, and that is what we are required to comply with.

Elk, for crying out loud, section this, section that. Why must you dissect every gd thing into tiny morsels?

Because the legislation is broken down into tiny sections, and quoting the section, makes it easy for everyone to find, and read for themselves, so they can learn the legislation.

In defense of elk and chuck , all they were saying is that it is illegal to discharge a firearm after dark . Should it be illegal if used in stopping a threat to your livelihood ? I don't think so . Many of us would have done the same as the OP , but just not posted a photo or made it public knowledge .

Exactly, even the OP may not have been aware that shooting the coyote at that time,was a violation of the Wildlife Act.

greylynx
04-12-2014, 05:53 PM
As far as I am concerned the poster, whoever that might be, showed a picture of a dead coyote.

The poster may have shot the coyote in the afternoon, got into some booze because of the stressful time of calving, passed out, and took a picture three in morning, and then did what all cattle farmers do...BS a bit.

All cattle folks think their herd is the best, and want to show the world.

Especially young fellas.

Anyways, that's the way I figure it.

Your welcome to post on my comment.

catnthehat
04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
And why? All of the FW officers I've encountered are stand up guys that are over worked, under funded, and just good people. I for one have confidence and respect for those officers in my neck of the woods.

I have for the most part had no problem with them except for a few times when i was treated like s criminal that was hiding something when I was not but have seen instances where they have gone out of their way to press charges that did not need to be and even after the case wad closed , did not return confiscated property until ordered to by a judge.
Cat

gitrdun
04-12-2014, 06:00 PM

I must admit that I had never considered the timing. But....

elkhunter11
04-12-2014, 06:06 PM
I must admit that I had never considered the timing. But....

The timing was the only reason that section 53 of the Wildlife Act was even mentioned?:rolleye2:

gitrdun
04-12-2014, 06:11 PM
As far as I am concerned the poster, whoever that might be, showed a picture of a dead coyote.

The poster may have shot the coyote in the afternoon, got Iinto some booze because of the stressful time of calving, passed out, and took a picture three in morning, and then did what all cattle farmers do...BS a bit.

Especially young fellas.

Yeah, I'll post on your comment. It's a dumbarsed comment. Just 'cause you get screwed up in the afternoon don't mean these guys do. They stay up all :sHa_sarcasticlol::)night and get little to no sleep. This is my favourite time of year. Take an afternoon nap, you'll be fine.

gitrdun
04-12-2014, 06:14 PM
The timing was the only reason that section 53 of the Wildlife Act was even mentioned?:rolleye2:

Then you don't need to jump on a guy who's trying to protect his investment for a minor infraction...now do you?

coy coyote
04-12-2014, 06:23 PM

The poster may have shot the coyote in the afternoon, got into some booze because of the stressful time of calving, passed out, and took a picture three in morning, and then did what all cattle farmers do...BS a bit.

Especially young fellas.

Lol yep. Its not dark if you can check all your cows without a flashlight. We run seven floodlights. Hardly dark at all. Seens like daytime expect for the time

elkhunter11
04-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Then you don't need to jump on a guy who's trying to protect his investment for a minor infraction...now do you?

I mentioned section 53, in case the OP was not aware of it.

As for jumping on people, you were the one that completely overlooked the timing, and started on a rant directed at Chuck and myself.

coy coyote
04-12-2014, 07:01 PM
I mentioned section 53, in case the OP was not aware of it.

As for jumping on people, you were the one that completely overlooked the timing, and started on a rant directed at Chuck and myself.

I am fully aware. I hunt like everyone else. When you wait for a year for a calf and another year to fatten him out to sell. If you have someone or something try and take the bread and butter off of your table I don't think reaching for the broom is the answer.

KBF
04-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Bringing up sec. 53 in this instance is absolutely ridiculous. Chuck, don't know where you live, but you need to get out in the rural area for a while. This type of dispatch goes on year round when it comes to protection of livestock. The fact of the matter is it is protection of livestock and livelihood and I doubt there is a F&W officer in the whole province that would even bother to look into this. This post started as a very interesting post... then you came along

Knowing where chuck is from, I'm pretty sure he understands all too well how livestock and predators don't always mesh perfectly. Don't get much more rural than there.

Pathfinder76
04-12-2014, 07:21 PM
The defence of livestock isn't the issue here. Nor the practical prospective of any LE officer. When you break the law and then proceed to brag about it on a public forum you have potentially compromised your ability and anyone else's ability to defend their livestock in the future and tied LE's hands completely if someone wants to report this incident.

cowmanbob
04-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Thank-you 'gitrdun'

coy coyote
04-12-2014, 08:35 PM
The defence of livestock isn't the issue here. Nor the practical prospective of any LE officer. When you break the law and then proceed to brag about it on a public forum you have potentially compromised your ability and anyone else's ability to defend their livestock in the future and tied LE's hands completely if someone wants to report this incident.

I don't have a problem with f&w checking g this out . They frequent the ranch . But seems to me your aching to report it