PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 4 Stroke

rcmc
04-13-2014, 02:23 PM
I'am looking at a jet boat with a 2005 115 mercury 4 stroke with a jet pump on it. What the reputation of this motor, is has 67 hrs on it.

TROLLER
04-13-2014, 05:18 PM
67 hrs. I s barely broke in.

Merc makes good motors, some guys like them al lot others prefer Honda or some other make, cannot go wrong with the Merc.

I read somewhere that the four stroke motor has a life before major overhaul of around 1500 hours so you got lot's of good times ahead.

dale7637
04-13-2014, 11:16 PM
I have a 115 Merc on my lund,
It's been bulletproof so far. No complaints.

Trev
04-20-2014, 01:16 PM
I have only had two stroke Mercs but the have never let me down. Bulletproff

mike780
04-20-2014, 08:53 PM
i have a 2013 4 stroke 60 hp mercury on the back of my lund, great engine and very good on fuel.

my 2 cents.

yetiseeker
04-21-2014, 07:22 AM
I have a 2007 Mercury 115hp EFI - the only thing that has ever gone wrong with mine is the starter. I had to replace mine with less than 100 hours on it. In speaking with a Mercury tech, this is the one thing these motors are known for.

The good thing was, that it gave me signs that something was worng before I was ever stranded. The starter would just click when turned over. A fews attempts and it would eventually start. As it progressively got worse, I took it to the shop, they tested it, and failed the bench test and then replaced it.

Otherwise, great motor. Reliable, fuel efficient, and now with well over 500 hours, never had an issue since that first starter was replaced.

Tungsten
04-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Same engine and same clicking problem with starter. Otherwise all good.

Mattstadnisky
04-22-2014, 06:55 AM
I have a 4 stroke Merc 115 on a 182WS Pricecraft. It has been great so far. It is my first 4 stroke and I do notice that the fuel economy is much better than a 2 stroke. My only problem with the motor is idling it down. Had to install a happy troller to get to down rigging speeds.

The Reel Deal
04-22-2014, 08:18 AM
I've had my 115 Merc for almost a year
I changed the engine oil in the fall and clear water came out for a full second followed by the engine oil. No milkshake. I am slightly concerned and less than impressed. The dealer says this is a common issue for us fisherman when trolling for extended periods which causes condensation build up in the crankcase.
If this was a car or truck engine, and water would have been sucked up by the pick up tube and the oil would milkshake and the engine wouldn't last a week. But I think Mercury purposely made an extra deep chamber in the oil pan for water and contaminants to sit out of reach of the pick up tube and that's why my oil didn't milkshake.
But back to milkshakes in cars and truck engines, these engines were toast within a week but that was when coolant mixed in the oil, I don't know if straight water has the same affect. Condensation is normal in the crankcase, and I haven't seen engine failure yet because of if.
In the end, I'm going to monitor the water in my and keep all my oil samples, filters, and service records in the event of engine failure when my warranty runs out.

recce43
04-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Colin Holowenko
Prairie Winds Marine
403-335-8648

He is on a farm near Didsbury. Very friendly and knowledgable. He is a certified boat repair mechanic.

dragon
04-22-2014, 09:01 AM
I have a 91 90 hp merc 2 stroke... it wont die.. ran it out of oil once... change the plugs and still runs..

have a 90 hp 4 stroke on the back of a 20ft pontoon. 2 years and runs like a champ.