PDA

View Full Version : Who was hunting?

catnthehat
04-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Several threads of late prompted me to ask this question of myself using different scenarios .
A: a guy is driving down a road on the way home from a day in the bush.
He spots a few deer on a cut line and stops, walks back through the bush and comes out 100 yards from them , shooting one.
Was he hunting even though he wax heading home?

B: a fella is motoring up the river to a place he knows holds deer when he sees a buck on the far shore . He stops the boat,crawls up
the bank and sees the deer , shooting it from 500 yards away.
Was he hunting even though he did not expect the deer to be there ?

C: a guy goes out one morning and still hunts an area he knows well but sees no animals but does see some fresh rubs.
He leaves the area and comes back 1 hour before sundown , but before he gets to the spot he wants, a deer trots out and up the trail.
He whistles, it stops and he shoots it.
Was he hunting if he find 't get to his appointed spot?

D: a hunter decided to visit a friend for the weekend to do some duck hunting and on the way sees some partridge on the side of the road.
He stops and they fly into the trees . He grabs his shot gun and shoots two of them with his steel shot loads , breasts them and continues on his way .
Was he hunting even though he was not using the gear normally associated with grouse hunting?

E : two hunters load up the dogs for a day of pheasants .
On the way to a farm where they have permission, they see four roosters in one of the farmer 's fields ,
The truck stops and they jump out ,shooting all four roosters without needing to loose the dogs .
Were they hunting even though the dogs were not used?

Makes one's mind work, for sure.....,
Cat

Lefty-Canuck
04-14-2014, 05:45 PM
All of them are.

LC

raised by wolves
04-14-2014, 06:12 PM
I hear ya Cat, makes a person think a bit.

But, I miss some of the lazy evening hunts I did as a kid. Late season doe tags for meat in the freezer. Parked along a fence line on my buddy's property and sat in the truck munching on a sandwich and sipping a hot brew until the deer popped out on the open. Rifle waiting on the ground, bipod open, in front of the truck next to the fence. A single, clean headshot and a drive across the field. Was I hunting? Maybe not. I called it "going for groceries".

Bushrat
04-14-2014, 06:44 PM
They're all hunting. As long as your not breaking any laws it's all good.

catnthehat
04-14-2014, 06:56 PM
I agree, yet we have all seen threads here where some would disagree because most the kills were one of " opportunity"not ones with the original intention or place that were the intended destination.
To be truthful however I'm not sure what some hunters mean by that but I have been told things like " if you have a dog you shouldn't shoot s bird that the dog didn't point" or
" shooting a deer at 500+ yards is not hunting", etc....
Cat

greylynx
04-14-2014, 07:04 PM
I am sure that some of you have just sat in one place to watch other hunters with binoculars and a spotting scope.

I have. It is sort of fun. Try it some time.

Who am I to judge what someone does?

ADH
04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
preparation and planning only increse your odds of success but no matter how prepared you are or how much planning you do all hunting involves some amount of luck or for the scientific people out there chance/error. Regardless of what anyone says all of those scenarios are hunting in my books. Any time you have a weapon on you for the purposes of harvesting an animal you are hunting.

bpk1982
04-14-2014, 07:29 PM
All of them are.

LC

X2

Don K
04-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I see no issues with any of them. All hunting to me. If it's open season, I have a weapon and permission, that's all I need. Pretty good in my books.

north american hunter
04-14-2014, 07:48 PM
All were hunting, everything's good.

wwbirds
04-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Do you ever stop hunting? I think not. I am always looking for animals in or out of season. I will be driving down the highway and ask the wife if she saw that deer, coyote or fox laying down in the stubble field i100 yards into the field.
I see ducks, huns, geese and many other things because I never stop looking so season or not I suspect I am always hunting. gun or no gun I look because I like to see and practice, technically if I am seeking animals I am hunting even if I have no intent of harassing them.

Someone asked one of the great chiefs at the turn of the century what he would do if all the deer, elk, antelope and bison were gone. He thought for a moment and said "I would hunt mice, for a hunter who is not hunting is not living".

Seeing a lot of mice on the farm lately.

hal53
04-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Do you ever stop hunting? I think not. I am always looking for animals in or out of season. I will be driving down the highway and ask the wife if she saw that deer, coyote or fox laying down in the stubble field i100 yards into the field.
I see ducks, huns, geese and many other things because I never stop looking so season or not I suspect I am always hunting. gun or no gun I look because I like to see and practice, technically if I am seeking animals I am hunting even if I have no intent of harassing them.

Someone asked one of the great chiefs at the turn of the century what he would do if all the deer, elk, antelope and bison were gone. He thought for a moment and said "I would hunt mice, for a hunter who is not hunting is not living".

^^^ this ...hammer, meet head of the nail........

Grizzly Adams
04-14-2014, 08:42 PM
None of them were, if the seasons were closed. :D Always thought there was a lot of logic to this. Seen it in several versions to the same end.

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~powlesla/personal/hunting/text/stages.txt

Grizz

Flatlandliver
04-14-2014, 08:44 PM
I think they all describe "hunting".
Had a interesting talk with a fish cop on his definition of hunting when my wife was with me for the day without a rifle or a tag. Basically stated she had to shadowing which makes sense but he said just her being there could be interpreted as hunting. He was a good guy but it made me wonder.

huntinalberta
04-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Is say there all hunting for sure, you don't always fill your tag the exact way you plan.

Icatchfish
04-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Did he have his gun/ bow and tags on him? then he's hunting

Lefty-Canuck
04-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Did he have his gun/ bow and tags on him? then he's hunting

I can have those things on me (in my vehicle) at 3am driving to a destination and not be hunting.

LC

catnthehat
04-14-2014, 09:27 PM
So, it begs the question , where are all the naysayers that do not think any of these methods are hunting??:confused:
As I said before , all these scenarios have brought negative answers in the past , it confuses me- and at times is infuriating as well.
Cat

Who Da Fisherman
04-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Opportunity:
When I go fishing I bring the gun with me in case the opportunity arises.
When I go hunting there is a rod in the truck in case the opportunity arises.
Taught by the book of Dad, always be prepared if the opportunity arises.
WDF

deercamp
04-14-2014, 09:39 PM
So, it begs the question , where are all the naysayers that do not think any of these methods are hunting??:confused:
As I said before , all these scenarios have brought negative answers in the past , it confuses me- and at times is infuriating as well.
Cat

this^^ Cats right everyone of these scenarios has brought lots of heat in the past.

antlercarver
04-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Hunting in it`s original form was to provide meat or to protect ones family or possessions. A person used the most deadly means they had.After that came sport hunting done by the more wealthy citizens who really did not need to hunt. Those who did not need to hunt could use equipment that did not need to be as efficient but could provide more enjoyment of the outdoor experience. Like fly fishing instead of netting. Our modern definition of hunting is different now than my grandfathers definition was. I guess what I call hunting depends on how with or behind the times I am.

birdslayer
04-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Does anyone check the hunting regulations as a defintion on what is considered hunting , the one word that sticks in my mlnd is worrying. Everyone should read it , and my guess is most of you have. The question I have where in the regulations does it say you have to have a firearm or license to be considered hunting ? Read it and give me your thoughts .

lilsundance
04-14-2014, 11:12 PM
I am sure that some of you have just sat in one place to watch other hunters with binoculars and a spotting scope.

I have. It is sort of fun. Try it some time.

Who am I to judge what someone does?

Ya its fun. I sat on top of a hill watching hunters walk around it, with deer out in front of them about 100yds in the bush, and some following behind them about 100yds. it was interesting to say the least watching how the animals reacted every time the hunters stopped.

CountryLife94
04-14-2014, 11:54 PM

Couldn't agree more with you sir!

KegRiver
04-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Why even bring this subject up?

Everyone knows there are so called hunters who do nothing but cruise the back-roads and shoot from the road or even from inside their vehicle. We all also know that these same individuals often shoot game on land they don't have permission to hunt and they often abandon their kill if someone interrupts their supposed hunt.

Most people know very well that the term road hunter is meant to apply only to the people who use their vehicles to engage in illegal activities related to hunting. Yet some hunters insist on lumping anyone who uses a vehicle in conjunction with hunting, in any way, in to the legal use group.

They refuse to allow any discussion of illegal use of a vehicle for the purpose of hunting, turning every attempt to discuss the issue into a battle of words about what "Road Hunting is"

All these threads do is divide hunters and provide cover for those who break the law and steal from the rest of us.

HunterDave
04-15-2014, 12:38 AM
What brought this thread on and why should anyone care what other people think anyway? I always have a rifle with me during hunting season therefore I'm always hunting. The things that you see when you don't have a gun. :)

Jimboy
04-15-2014, 03:05 AM
You head down to the local bar in hanna after a day huntin geese , a sweet young thing gives you the eye so ya wave er on over and buyer some beers , later ya taker back to your motel , and score , were ya huntin , of course ya were , yer always huntin fer that.:thinking-006:

catnthehat
04-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Why even bring this subject up?

Everyone knows there are so called hunters who do nothing but cruise the back-roads and shoot from the road or even from inside their vehicle. We all also know that these same individuals often shoot game on land they don't have permission to hunt and they often abandon their kill if someone interrupts their supposed hunt.

Most people know very well that the term road hunter is meant to apply only to the people who use their vehicles to engage in illegal activities related to hunting. Yet some hunters insist on lumping anyone who uses a vehicle in conjunction with hunting, in any way, in to the legal use group.

They refuse to allow any discussion of illegal use of a vehicle for the purpose of hunting, turning every attempt to discuss the issue into a battle of words about what "Road Hunting is"

All these threads do is divide hunters and provide cover for those who break the law and steal from the rest of us.

I brought it up because of the recent threads with people arguing )yes arguing) about the use of certain equipment for hunting and how people should use it.
Hunters have been run down in the past on this forum and others for the exact things that happened in these scenarios and it seems to me that we tend to argue amongst ourselves rather than let the other person hunt the way wish to as long as it is legal.
ALL these animals were taken legally BTW, and I was involved in every single situation, they were real not hypothetical.

Everything from being accused of being a shooter instead of a hunter to being a road hunter because i couldn't be bothered using a dog.

So the next time we run someone down for not doing something the same way we do maybe we should stop and think first!
I am so sick and tired of people telling me I am unethical, doing it wrong, or shouldn't be doing something just because they do not do it that way!!!
This goes for people wanting to ban crap, as well as people running others down because they use a different rifle or shotgun, shoot at a different distance, bowhunt, hunt with crossbows, whatever, we have seen it all right here.
Cat

Grizzly Adams
04-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Cat

You're not just trying to stir the pot, are you ?:lol: I'll admit the 500 yard shot got my eyebrows up a little, but I've been guilty of a couple of "unusual" things myself. Part of the appeal of Hunting is that it should be unscripted. Sometimes you work long and hard for nothing, other times the game just plain commits suicide.

Grizz

leo
04-15-2014, 07:54 AM
I brought it up because of the recent threads with people arguing )yes arguing) about the use of certain equipment for hunting and how people should use it.
Hunters have been run down in the past on this forum and others for the exact things that happened in these scenarios and it seems to me that we tend to argue amongst ourselves rather than let the other person hunt the way wish to as long as it is legal.
ALL these animals were taken legally BTW, and I was involved in every single situation, they were real not hypothetical.

Everything from being accused of being a shooter instead of a hunter to being a road hunter because i couldn't be bothered using a dog.

So the next time we run someone down for not doing something the same way we do maybe we should stop and think first!
I am so sick and tired of people telling me I am unethical, doing it wrong, or shouldn't be doing something just because they do not do it that way!!!
This goes for people wanting to ban crap, as well as people running others down because they use a different rifle or shotgun, shoot at a different distance, bowhunt, hunt with crossbows, whatever, we have seen it all right here.
Cat

The only thing you did wrong was not invite me to share in the fun. :sHa_sarcasticlol:
In all seriousness, I have been a very successful hunter because of many reasons. Being prepared for anything that happens along the way is a big part of it. I have to admit that being in the right place at the right time is a large part of my success. But I also tend to make my own luck by having a better understanding of wildlife habits and locating my hunts in habitat I have historically had good luck. This from years of experience hunting and not being successful is a good teacher. When I first came on this forum several years ago, I was critical of some views and equipment used for hunting, I was wrong and narrow minded. I don't have to agree with someone's methods, but if no laws are broken, it's non of my business how they hunt or with the equipment they use.
Keep your powder dry Cat. :)

catnthehat
04-15-2014, 08:03 AM
You're not just trying to stir the pot, are you ?:lol: I'll admit the 500 yard shot got my eyebrows up a little, but I've been guilty of a couple of "unusual" things myself. Part of the appeal of Hunting is that it should be unscripted. Sometimes you work long and hard for nothing, other times the game just plain commits suicide.

Grizz
Not trying at all, the rifle I was using that day was set p for longer ranges. Than that and I did not need to range he deer because I knew the exact distance , knowing the river break well and shooting on it that summer .
It was not s difficult shot for me , neither was the 300 + shot I bade the next year from the middle of the river on a sand bar.
Neither would have been attempted with some of my other rifles .
Cat

antlercarver
04-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Some posts define hunting as being out and about carrying hunting equipment. By that definition I must be having sex all the time.

greylynx
04-15-2014, 10:43 AM

WWbird's above post sort of makes me wonder if there are some people who are "genetically predispostioned"for hunting.

Any dog can be taught to hunt, but some dogs like hunting more than others due to their genes. I wonder if people are the same. Hmmm:thinking-006:

Luxor
04-15-2014, 10:47 AM

Grizz

By far the best comment.

catnthehat
04-15-2014, 10:49 AM
WWbird's above post sort of makes me wonder if there are some people who are "genetically predispostioned"for hunting.

Any dog can be taught to hunt, but some dogs like hunting more than others due to their genes. I wonder if people are the same. Hmmm:thinking-006:

I think so.
I have been know to hit the breaks and put the stalk on a deer with a camera on m way home from work in the summer time!:)
One of my buddies makes a pint of checking out any new trail in his arrea, not matter where he is going a the time.
Yesterday noticed three different trails in te bush going up onto a big ridge that would be concealed in heavy foliage , and plan to take a look this weekend! Scouting as far as I am concerned is part of the hunting process.:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

walking buffalo
04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Another scenario. are these people hunting?

Two guys are driving to their pre-chosen hunting location, the season is open, they are licenced and have weapons cased in the back of the vehicle.

On their way to their spot, they decide to take a coffee break and park on the shoulder of a maintained road that divides an area between a Provincial Park (no hunting allowed) and a Provincial Wildland Park (hunting allowed). While having a coffee, these guys use their binoculars to view the landscape all around them.

Are they Hunting?

Snowdog
04-15-2014, 12:40 PM
It's a mind set, nothing to do with equipment. Sometime we go to the in-laws farm for sunday dinner. If it's open season and the roast is taking too long, I will go walk the bush looking for rubs and scrapes with no gun or bow, I'm def hunting.

catnthehat
04-15-2014, 12:57 PM

Two guys are driving to their pre-chosen hunting location, the season is open, they are licenced and have weapons cased in the back of the vehicle.

On their way to their spot, they decide to take a coffee break and park on the shoulder of a maintained road that divides an area between a Provincial Park (no hunting allowed) and a Provincial Wildland Park (hunting allowed). While having a coffee, these guys use their binoculars to view the landscape all around them.

Are they Hunting?
It all depends on what they intend to do AFTER they spot something , isn't it?
Cat

Roughneck Country
04-15-2014, 02:10 PM
I agree, yet we have all seen threads here where some would disagree because most the kills were one of " opportunity"not ones with the original intention or place that were the intended destination.
To be truthful however I'm not sure what some hunters mean by that but I have been told things like " if you have a dog you shouldn't shoot s bird that the dog didn't point" or
" shooting a deer at 500+ yards is not hunting", etc....
Cat

Most of my kills have been that of opportunity, very few have been planned staked out deer. A buck busting out unexpected from the bush, walking to an area I plan to set up for an evening when something apears etc... Only time I have consistently "planned" an ambush is while mountain huning.

aulrich
04-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Years ago when I was a teenager, a cousin went on the men’s moose trip 8 hours in the boat in the bush by the Pas Manitoba, built camp and had gone into the bush for a dump (no gun) so with his pants around his knees doing his business, you guessed it a bull moose walks out at really close range. It was the only bull the whole group saw that week.

I am always hunting :)

walking buffalo
04-15-2014, 03:02 PM
It all depends on what they intend to do AFTER they spot something , isn't it?
Cat

Why would what they might Intend to do at a later time define what they are Currently doing?
(Any Grammar Police around? :lol:)

These guys are IN a vehicle, ON a maintained road, technically within a Provincial Park. Weapons are CASED.

If they were determined to be Hunting, should they not be charged with hunting from a motorized vehicle, hunting on a maintained road, and hunting in a Provincial Park?

bruceba
04-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Opportunity:
When I go fishing I bring the gun with me in case the opportunity arises.
When I go hunting there is a rod in the truck in case the opportunity arises.
Taught by the book of Dad, always be prepared if the opportunity arises.
WDF

Creating your own luck and being able to answer the call when oppertunity knocks. Also from a book of Dad.

catnthehat
04-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Why would what they might Intend to do at a later time define what they are Currently doing?

These guys are IN a vehicle, ON a maintained road, technically within a Provincial Park. Weapons are CASED.

If they were determined to be Hunting, should they not be charged with hunting from a motorized vehicle, hunting on a maintained road, and hunting in a Provincial Park?

it would have to be proven that they were in fact intendig to kill something after they spotted it , wouldn't it?
In '92 on a Sunday we stopped on te side of the road near Exshaw to do some scouting and possibly get somhe pics of some rams tha we knew were up in the bush off the road.
When we got back to the truck we were met by F&W with his book out.
Our bows were locked in the truck, all I had was a camera with me.
Book went away and he said " Have a good day!"
Cat

jungleboy
04-15-2014, 04:28 PM
During hunting season ,during legal hunting hours I am always hunting . I think the best thing to do when relating a hunting story on the forum though, is to make it clear that you hiked 18 miles from your vehicle before you took the gun from it's case and you dragged your game back 20 miles up hill.That way no one will question your integrity.:scared0018:

fishtank
04-15-2014, 04:32 PM
During hunting season ,during legal hunting hours I am always hunting .

same here :sHa_shakeshout: .

3blade
04-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Cat

All hunting. Opportunity created by being out there.

The issue is tradition and game management.

Some people derive their enjoyment of hunting from certain traditions, which is fine. Problems start when said people believe their way is the only way. You like tweed and walnut? Cool. I like digital camo and synthetic. Dead grouse and smiles all around, no mall ninja or old fart comments needed.

On the other side, certain methods whether traditional or not must be restricted for game management purposes. Center fire rifles and crossbows, examples listed in your other post, simply result in more game killed. No guesses required as to what would happen to game populations if these tools were not managed carefully. But again, some people refuse to accept the reality of the situation, putting their own enjoyment above the conservation of wildlife.

covey ridge
04-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Cat

I think that all those examples are hunting. Some may claim that they may not be sporting or ethical or as sporting or as ethical as the way they choose. Some may say the way they do it is closer to true hunting and they are better hunters. So what? Those are all good examples of hunting.

covey ridge
04-15-2014, 05:32 PM

Are they Hunting?

Hunting or not, I do not think they are breaking any laws!

KegRiver
04-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Cat

Sigh!! I hear you.

I suspect it is this very thing that prevents us from having a rational discussion about what many call road hunting. And I'm not totally convinced it is not by design.

As I said, we all know that there are people who shoot from roadways and shoot game on property they don't have permission on, and that as often as not it is done by people who use their vehicles as hunting platforms.

Of course using ones vehicle as a hunting platform is not in of itself illegal and I'd add it's not unsporting or unethical either, at least not in my opinion. It's the illegal nonsense that too often goes hand in hand with this type of hunting.

Unfortunately, people who ignore the law also do things that divide legitimate hunters and this is one of those things.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you would not think of doing anything illegal or immoral. It annoys me no end when anyone attempts to smear anyone such as yourself. Unfortunately it is very hard to know when such attacks are simply a misunderstanding and when they are deliberate trolling.

There seems to be a considerable number of members who take pleasure in causing grief for other members, and topics such as this one are favorite hunting grounds for such individuals.

I know very well that there are some people in the world who simply enjoy causing trouble but I suspect that some on this site have other motives.

What the solution is I do not know. I don't think it does any good to simply grin and bear it, on the other hand the last thing I want to do is slam the door on someone who means no harm.

In the mean time, with each passing day there seems to be more and more disrespect of others and less and less respect for law and order.

It makes me glad to know that I don't have a lot of years left on this earth.
I don't think I'd like where we are headed.

H380
04-15-2014, 06:12 PM
They're all hunting. As long as your not breaking any laws it's all good.

Agreed .. some of the best results come from spur of the moment hunts .

Magnet7mm
04-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Retread the story they were between two areas one legal hunting one not
They were outside the truck at the tailgate guns locked in cases
If they spot something on the legal side what is wrong with unlocking said firearm walking to legal range from said vehicle and roadway and proceeding to cook tenderloins for supper ?

Magnet7mm
04-15-2014, 08:10 PM
That being said hunters are opportunists to if an opportunity arises we take it
Shot my biggest buck to date 178 3/8 on my way to work in the Morning he walked across road in front of me I drove up yo were he crossed walked up to provincial grazing range fence line rested on the post and shot 50 yards broadside

Didn't say he was smart lol just big :)

antlercarver
04-16-2014, 09:04 AM
The problem in defining what is hunting come from the fact that the definition must cover the total population. Meat hunters, trophy hunters and hunters who chose to use different equipment or methods. All this while trying to maintain fair chase and minimize wounded or lost animals. As there are many more non-hunters than hunters, to preserve hunting, the public opinion must be maintained in a way that the non-hunting population will not want to close hunting down. The hon-hunting population also feel the animals belong to them as much as to the hunters. The bear hunt in Ontario is a example of this.
So it is important how we hunt and how hunting is defined.

Grizzly Adams
04-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Years ago when I was a teenager, a cousin went on the men’s moose trip 8 hours in the boat in the bush by the Pas Manitoba, built camp and had gone into the bush for a dump (no gun) so with his pants around his knees doing his business, you guessed it a bull moose walks out at really close range. It was the only bull the whole group saw that week.

I am always hunting :)

Wife and I were packed up Ranger Creek, got back to camp and were having a "friendly" discussion about how one of our horses managed to find and eat a good part of a bag of oats, when a Mulie buck came tearing by about 30 feet behind us, no doubt spooked by the fuss. :D Rifle was still in the scabbard, but he didn't get far.

Grizz

Big Grey Wolf
04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Guys, we have to accept different forms of hunting by others. However I believe hunting should be the total experience scouting, setting up great elk camp on beautiful river, good meals and refreshment and stories with the boys. One hunt is probably more of a shooting experience. When one looks at B & C "Fair Chase" definition of a trophy animal entered in record book. It is like the guy meeting the girl in restaurant and qui..e in his pick up versus wine & dining and nice extended session in beautiful hotel. I dont like carrying gun by oil worker driving around foothills then taking a big 6 point on his way to well site. Not hunting in my book.

J D
04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Hunters are opportunists and as long as it is a legal clean kill I see no issue.

Personally I enjoy the pursuit so in all honesty I do not feel the same sense of achieving all my goals when I take an animal by dumb luck travelling to or from my spot. That said I will take the legal opportunity and have no issue with any hunter doing so.

I hunt for multiple reasons and meat is 1 of them so I will not pass on the chance of bringing meat home just because the scenario is not what I envisioned.

I am still happy with the animals I take this way and no regrets but in all honesty it does not feel the same to me.

In the end if it is legal and you take the animal with no regrets have at it. In the end it is your hunt and you only need to please your self

deercamp
04-16-2014, 10:29 AM

Because there not doing anything illegal.. You can sit on the road and scout for game all you want. It's a free country. I had a heated argument proving this point with a CO once while I was scouting mid October. Had a rifle for shooting coyotes and a spottin scope in the vehicle. Rifle cased I add. Tried to charge with me with all kinds . Huntin before seasons, off a road etc. but no law was broken and I argued the fact. No fines were issued.

catnthehat
04-16-2014, 10:31 AM
:budo:The problem in defining what is hunting come from the fact that the definition must cover the total population. Meat hunters, trophy hunters and hunters who chose to use different equipment or methods. All this while trying to maintain fair chase and minimize wounded or lost animals. As there are many more non-hunters than hunters, to preserve hunting, the public opinion must be maintained in a way that the non-hunting population will not want to close hunting down. The hon-hunting population also feel the animals belong to them as much as to the hunters. The bear hunt in Ontario is a example of this.
So it is important how we hunt and how hunting is defined.
Would it make a difference if some of the animals shot on the instances given were trophy antlered or or supplemental tags?
Or if the ducks shot were hens and not drakes?
I don't think personally that trophy or
Meat hunting has anything to do with it
Cat

antlercarver
04-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Seems like most are only interested in their own hunting stories and not at the big picture. Since I first started hunting until now the regulations have changed a lot and will continue to change. The amount of change depends on several factors, many changes can driven by public opinion.
The questions in the initial post are important because how those questions are viewed by the voting public may determine changes that will affect all hunting. I can list examples, but people will attack the example rather than understand the implications.

Dunezilla
04-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Every hunter needs to make their own individual choices on how they want to hunt. Every hunter is going to have their point of views in regards to different hunting methods.
As hunters we need to assume that every hunter we see while hunting is hunting legally, & yet we need to keep one eye open. A number of hunters talk about "luck & experience" yet they forget one key word "skill". If a hunter has been hunting any length of time then they have developed skills.

For me, my hunting begins when I leave my house to go to work, or if I am heading into town to go shopping. I look for animals, birds, etc. I look to see why the deer pick this spot to feed. I try to make every day a learning day.

Like I mention at the start ever hunter needs to decide how they want to hunt & do not worry how others hunt unless how they are hunting is illegal. We may have disagreements on the various hunting styles of others but that is the way they choose to hunt & we need to accept it. Just hunt your way let them hunt their way & lets keep it legal.

wasteland.soldier
04-16-2014, 12:39 PM
He stops and they fly into the trees . He grabs his **** gun and shoots two of them with his steel **** loads , breasts them and continues on his way

I think you're spelling "shot" wrong....

J D
04-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Seems like most are only interested in their own hunting stories and not at the big picture. Since I first started hunting until now the regulations have changed a lot and will continue to change. The amount of change depends on several factors, many changes can driven by public opinion.
The questions in the initial post are important because how those questions are viewed by the voting public may determine changes that will affect all hunting. I can list examples, but people will attack the example rather than understand the implications.

Spend some time talking to the public and you will find most have nothing against it. Most just want to know the meat is eaten and not wasted. The thing is most will not stand for or against hunting.

The small portion that is against is really just out right against the killing of wildlife. You will not win with this group.

The group the straddles the fence it is usually easy to get them to listen and with a little time explaining what we do they often except hunting. This group usually just heard some myths from anti's

Educating the public is more effective then bending your image for anti's

catnthehat
04-16-2014, 03:36 PM
I think you're spelling "shot" wrong....

Danged auto correct - I was on my phone!!:budo:
Cat

catnthehat
04-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Spend some time talking to the public and you will find most have nothing against it. Most just want to know the meat is eaten and not wasted. The thing is most will not stand for or against hunting.

The small portion that is against is really just out right against the killing of wildlife. You will not win with this group.

The group the straddles the fence it is usually easy to get them to listen and with a little time explaining what we do they often except hunting. This group usually just heard some myths from anti's

Educating the public is more effective then bending your image for anti's

The questions posed in the intial post were not meant for the non hunting public but for hunters!:thinking-006:
There are many out there that have disagreed with every one of those scenarios because they did not think it was "hunting" in their minds.
Cat

wasteland.soldier
04-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Danged auto correct - I was on my phone!!:budo:
Cat

LOL that's what I figured. You're phone must know you're in Fort Mac since it's adjusting to the lingo, eh?

walking buffalo
04-16-2014, 04:46 PM
it would have to be proven that they were in fact intendig to kill something after they spotted it , wouldn't it?
In '92 on a Sunday we stopped on te side of the road near Exshaw to do some scouting and possibly get somhe pics of some rams tha we knew were up in the bush off the road.
When we got back to the truck we were met by F&W with his book out.
Our bows were locked in the truck, all I had was a camera with me.
Book went away and he said " Have a good day!"
Cat

The question is "were they hunting while sitting in the truck?".

The reason I posed the scenario is due to how Enforcement may view the question. We really need to know this stuff.

The situation I described happened to me a few years ago. A Parks officer (that we knew well, other than this issue, I consider her to be a very good agent) pulled in behind us and walked up to the truck. Her first question was "Are you Hunting?". I said "No.".

Well, all in good nature she took exception to my reply and proceeded to tell me that because we have hunting licences and weapons in the vehicle and that we were looking at the hillside, we were in her opinion actively "Hunting".

There are a couple of issues here. First, if we are determined to be actively hunting then the officer has the right to search the vehicle, otherwise she needs another valid reason if consent is not given. Also, if our action are defined as "Hunting" then we were at her mercy regarding being charged with hunting in a Provincial Park.

By this officer's interpretation, anytime a person has a weapon and a licence, they are actively hunting.... Heck, if we didn't have hunting licences, she could have used her interpretation to claim we were Hunting without a Licence....

I state that we were not hunting. I don't hunt in Provincial Parks. ;)

Retread the story they were between two areas one legal hunting one not
They were outside the truck at the tailgate guns locked in cases
If they spot something on the legal side what is wrong with unlocking said firearm walking to legal range from said vehicle and roadway and proceeding to cook tenderloins for supper ?

Nothing wrong at all. IMO, they started the hunt when they entered the legal area in pursuit of the wildlife, not while standing by the truck with guns locked up.

Because there not doing anything illegal.. You can sit on the road and scout for game all you want. It's a free country. I had a heated argument proving this point with a CO once while I was scouting mid October. Had a rifle for shooting coyotes and a spottin scope in the vehicle. Rifle cased I add. Tried to charge with me with all kinds . Huntin before seasons, off a road etc. but no law was broken and I argued the fact. No fines were issued.

That's the kicker. Where and how does Enforcement define/interpret the difference between "Scouting" and "Hunting"? Perhaps along with all the F&W talk about redefining a "Legal Weapon", they should also redefine "Hunting" and develop a definition for "Scouting".

Is enforcement using this interpretation incorrectly as a pretense for vehicle searches?

catnthehat
04-16-2014, 05:06 PM
If I was on your shoes WB I would have told her to write tha danged charge up and also inform her I was going to contact my lawyer ASAP so he could file harassment charges against her because there is not a judge in Canada that would convict on those grounds!:thinking-006:
Cat

walking buffalo
04-16-2014, 05:35 PM
If I was on your shoes WB I would have told her to write tha danged charge up and also inform her I was going to contact my lawyer ASAP so he could file harassment charges against her because there is not a judge in Canada that would convict on those grounds!:thinking-006:
Cat

I made the suggestion. :lol:

No, she wouldn't write a ticket, but she did text the section of the Wildlife Act she was referring to in support her claim. I hope our discussion got her thinking differently, but I doubt it....