PDA

View Full Version : Seized Game Meat

KBF
04-14-2014, 10:05 PM
I've been enjoying watching the show Wardens on The Outdoor Channel. I enjoy it because it's interesting to see other areas game laws and how they work. As well as seeing different parts of Montana, where this is filmed. In situation when they seize an animal due to an infraction, it's almost always mentioned how the animal will get used at food shelters.

Is that what happens here in Alberta?

IR_mike
04-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Not sure about foodbanks, but I know of people who have reported infractions and been given meat seized from other infractions.

oldgutpile
04-15-2014, 06:10 AM
The laws here in Alberta are pretty anal about "uninspected" meat being given out. Too many liabilities involved.
Personally, whenever I get stuck with some wild game that doesnt get picked up from the shop, I prefer to "give" it out to someone I know will enjoy it. I have had requests from people down on their luck, but this is rare when we have a local foodbank as well.
I know of one local spot that the fish and wildlife "disposes" of whole carcasses that have been siezed. Basically coyote bait.

KBF
04-15-2014, 06:41 AM
The laws here in Alberta are pretty anal about "uninspected" meat being given out. Too many liabilities involved.
Personally, whenever I get stuck with some wild game that doesnt get picked up from the shop, I prefer to "give" it out to someone I know will enjoy it. I have had requests from people down on their luck, but this is rare when we have a local foodbank as well.
I know of one local spot that the fish and wildlife "disposes" of whole carcasses that have been siezed. Basically coyote bait.

That's kind of what I suspected on both accounts.

calgarychef
04-15-2014, 08:50 AM
You can get in touch with your local fish cop and let him know you want some meat. Then when it becomes available he can give you a call.

MarceeSeamans
04-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Fish and Wildlife have a list of families in need that would like wild game meat so in some cases they will drop them off to these people.

HunterDave
04-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Fish and Wildlife have a list of families in need that would like wild game meat so in some cases they will drop them off to these people.

I don't know about game meat that has been seized but I know for a fact that around here and in Fort Assiniboine, F&W have a list of families that they call to recover road killed animals.

I'm thinking that seized game meat might become evidence, would it not?

philintheblank
04-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Bird of prey shelters take game meat for their animals, maybe they get some

winger7mm
04-15-2014, 09:31 AM
I know for a fact that the claresholm food bank receives wild meat, Or at least thats what we were told by the attending officer.

davesilva
04-15-2014, 09:44 AM
I don't know about game meat that has been seized but I know for a fact that around here and in Fort Assiniboine, F&W have a list of families that they call to recover road killed animals.

I'm thinking that seized game meat might become evidence, would it not?

Nope, I know of an individual who accidentally shot the "wrong deer," and got caught f&w took the deer away and they later called him and told him t was going to a family in need

Big Daddy Badger
04-15-2014, 09:58 AM

Those laws are the same everywhere... they are national.

The difference is whether or not the province is willing to work within those laws to see that meat inspected so that it can be served up.

Red Bullets
04-15-2014, 12:04 PM
I believe Alberta has a meat donation program together with a few butcher shop/processors where a person can donate carcasses to the foodbank and the butcher shop will process the meat properly. There are guidelines as to what condition the carcass must be in and a time frame for delivery.

http://www.huntingfortomorrow.com/HFTF_Home/FACT%20SHEETS/FS%2011%20Feb%2011.pdf

wildcat111
04-15-2014, 06:59 PM

we had an officer from strahmore come out to one of our club meetings, he told us that if the meat is still good that there is a list of people that receive the meat, i'm not sure if the food bank or social services provides them the list but the meat does go to good use in alberta.

Brooneg
04-16-2014, 05:48 PM
it would be great if it goes to people in need. At least it is not being wasted!!!

raised by wolves
04-16-2014, 06:27 PM
I observed a guy shoot and leave several whitetails. Got his plate # and found a CO that was in the area. This was in the days before cell phones, but I knew where the CO would be on a particular day. Brought the CO into my hunting spot, showed him the deer and he took my statement. He asked for my help to gut and drag the animals out, good guy so I helped out. He offered me a couple carcasses for my efforts, without having to use my tags. I took one of he does and he wrote me a note in case I was checked by another CO. Said he was taking the cleaner carcasses to the food bank and the bullet ridden carcass to the Birds of Prey centre. Not sure if that was standard protocol, but it was good to know they were not wasted.

The shooter was eventually prosecuted.

elkdump
04-16-2014, 06:40 PM
a lot of "seized game meat goes to charities in BC, SallyAnn, food banks,church groups etc distribute the meat once it has been processed, cut wrapped and frozen,,

added note !
meat cannot be inspected thoroughly by CFIA Veterinarians unless the carcass is COMPLETE will all internal organs including brain and spinal column,, so

,,, example, field dressed animals, like a 1/2 or several quarters of a moose or elk etc is impossible to Health-Inspect thoroughly/safely

Donkey Oatey
04-17-2014, 08:52 AM
a lot of "seized game meat goes to charities in BC, SallyAnn, food banks,church groups etc distribute the meat once it has been processed, cut wrapped and frozen,,

added note !
meat cannot be inspected thoroughly by CFIA Veterinarians unless the carcass is COMPLETE will all internal organs including brain and spinal column,, so

,,, example, field dressed animals, like a 1/2 or several quarters of a moose or elk etc is impossible to Health-Inspect thoroughly/safely

Wild game is exempted from the meat inspection rules, even to give away. So the whole inspection angle is moot.

elkdump
04-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Wild game is exempted from the meat inspection rules, even to give away. So the whole inspection angle is moot.

many CHARITIES decline donated wild-game meat, the same as they decline DOMESTIC donated meat that has NOT been inspected, these Charities do not wish to risk bad publicity or chance someone becoming ill, then coming back on the Charity for distributing UN-inspected meat!

just ONE BAD News Story on UN-inspected meat causing illness could result in Million$ of LOST cash donations for Food Banks

Donkey Oatey
04-17-2014, 09:14 AM
many CHARITIES decline donated wild-game meat, the same as they decline DOMESTIC donated meat that has NOT been inspected, these Charities do not wish to risk bad publicity or chance someone becoming ill, then coming back on the Charity for distributing UN-inspected meat!

just ONE BAD News Story on UN-inspected meat causing illness could result in Million$ of LOST cash donations for Food Banks

What they DECIDE to do has nothing on the UNINSPECTED rules.

See two can PLAY the CAPSLOCK game. Isn't it FUN.

Wild game is exempted under the meat inspection rules. That is all I said. It is legal for these places to take these animals. They CHOOSE not to. DOMESTIC meat the rules apply and it is illegal to take uninspected meat. Wild game is specifically exempted under the law.

newguy
04-17-2014, 01:25 PM
The meat isn't wasted. More than a couple officers have told me they have various options to give seized meat to families and organizations that need/ want/ ask for it...