PDA

View Full Version : the curse of catch and release.

waterninja
04-15-2014, 05:53 PM
the other day i posted that it was the "blood moon" that was responsible for my bad run of luck lately on the nsr. on sober reflection (and a bottle of fireball) i now believe that it is my practise of catch and release thats the culprit. you see, the ones i release now know my techniques and i'm sure their passing it on genetically to their young. they are also forming "schools" where all my fishing secrets are learned by the little ones. thats the real reason why fish travel in schools.
it's amassing how clearly a person can figure out lifes problems after downing a bottle and chasing that with a few beers. iv'e reached a new level of understanding. (or something)

ineptflux
04-15-2014, 06:34 PM
lol don't fish have a horrible short term sense of memory?

and also a hungry fish will always feed.

J D
04-15-2014, 06:35 PM
I blame the internet it is too easy for fish to just google our tactics these days :D

EP2
04-15-2014, 06:49 PM
An interesting study demonstrated that in some cases, negative memories associated with smell seemed to be passed genetically to mice offspring.

Also, Midcurrent ran this article (http://midcurrent.com/science/all-fish-are-not-created-equal/) about how some fish seem to be genetically pre-disposed to being hard to catch.

But I think you're right, schooling fish passing one secrets...:)

YeeHaw
04-15-2014, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=waterninja;2404967]the other day i posted that it was the "blood moon" that was responsible for my bad run of luck lately on the nsr. on sober reflection (and a bottle of fireball) i now believe that it is my practise of catch and release thats the culprit. you see, the ones i release now know my techniques and i'm sure their passing it on genetically to their young. they are also forming "schools" where all my fishing secrets are learned by the little ones. thats the real reason why fish travel in schools.
it's amassing how clearly a person can figure out lifes problems after downing a bottle and chasing that with a few beers. iv'e reached a new level of understanding.

Sounds like a poor excuse for not catching fish old timer. Just know that excuse will not hold water on opening day when I out fish you yet again.:sHa_shakeshout:

Brandonkop
04-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Hahaha! You're funny. I've wondered the same thing. That why I just eat them all now. Can't let the secret of your trade back to the fish school.

waterninja
04-15-2014, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=waterninja;2404967]the other day i posted that it was the "blood moon" that was responsible for my bad run of luck lately on the nsr. on sober reflection (and a bottle of fireball) i now believe that it is my practise of catch and release thats the culprit. you see, the ones i release now know my techniques and i'm sure their passing it on genetically to their young. they are also forming "schools" where all my fishing secrets are learned by the little ones. thats the real reason why fish travel in schools.
it's amassing how clearly a person can figure out lifes problems after downing a bottle and chasing that with a few beers. iv'e reached a new level of understanding.

Sounds like a poor excuse for not catching fish old timer. Just know that excuse will not hold water on opening day when I out fish you yet again.:sHa_shakeshout:
thankfully i never need any excuses when we fish together. your like my personal good luck charm, little scotty.

drhu22
04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
the other day i posted that it was the "blood moon" that was responsible for my bad run of luck lately on the nsr. on sober reflection (and a bottle of fireball) i now believe that it is my practise of catch and release thats the culprit. you see, the ones i release now know my techniques and i'm sure their passing it on genetically to their young. they are also forming "schools" where all my fishing secrets are learned by the little ones. thats the real reason why fish travel in schools.
it's amassing how clearly a person can figure out lifes problems after downing a bottle and chasing that with a few beers. iv'e reached a new level of understanding. (or something)

Alcohol consumption aside...
I think animals are much smarter than what we give them credit for... who knows?
I saw a doc on animal intelligence, and what they believe is that its not as much brain size, as brain to body size ratio. I know mice are smart little bastards.

Lund rebel
04-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Alcohol consumption aside...
I think animals are much smarter than what we give them credit for... who knows?
I saw a doc on animal intelligence, and what they believe is that its not as much brain size, as brain to body size ratio. I know mice are smart little bastards.

I have to agree with you on this, my other hobby is keeping saltwater fish. I have a large aquarium and fish I have had for many years. They are intelligent enough to tell time daily and recognize people. As for the time telling, I have auto feeders set up and about a minute before feeding all the fish go and fight for best spots in that corner every day like clock work. They can also recgonise people, new people come over and for a while the tank looks like I don't own a fish with 50 of them in there. For feeding as well they will eat from my hand but won't even come close to the food if my brother is standing close to me or trying to feed them. Each fish has there own personality and habits as well they do, I am sure this plays a part somewhat for wild fish.

EZM
04-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Smart fish stay in schools.

The drop-outs are often caught and eaten.

I, too, blame the internet.