PDA

View Full Version : What tags should I put in for

Fishingaddict
04-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been on for a while and I got a my minors PAL and getting my hunters license through school. So I was wondering if you all have an opinion on which tags I should put in for so I can build up priority so that when im older I can do some once in a lifetime hunts like I have already been told to build priority for a mountain goat. Just wanting to know what you all think, I am looking forward to this hunting season and getting into hunting as this will be my first year :sHa_shakeshout:
thanks Fishingaddict

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been on for a while and I got a my minors PAL and getting my hunters license through school. So I was wondering if you all have an opinion on which tags I should put in for so I can build up priority so that when im older I can do some once in a lifetime hunts like I have already been told to build priority for a mountain goat. Just wanting to know what you all think, I am looking forward to this hunting season and getting into hunting as this will be my first year :sHa_shakeshout:
thanks Fishingaddict

First off someone was having fun with you because you cannot build priority for mountain goat....but as a new hunter i would first read (many times) and understand the regs as best you can.

Then, I would be putting in for everything I could, you never know when you want to go after something or switch gears from one year to the next.

LC

wasteland.soldier
04-15-2014, 06:08 PM
I always wonder if I should go for antlered or antlerless. I'd like a European mount, but don't really much care. Really just interested in the meat. I figure they issue more tags for antlered, but I also figure that's where the demand is. If I want a freezer full of deer and elk and want to hunt the 408 because that's where I love to be, which priority should I go for?

HyperMOA
04-15-2014, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't enter any draws if I were you. That leaves more tags for me. :) Just kidding, welcome to an exciting new chapter of your life. Its gonna get expensive and eat up a good chunk of your spare time.

crazyfish
04-15-2014, 08:08 PM
I would start with building priority for moose , mule deer ! That's a good start , read and reread the regs then you can start to expand your horizons ! Also. Heck the wild Alberta website and look at the summary of draws from previous years to see what kind of wait times your in for . Good luck !

brohymn2
04-15-2014, 09:04 PM
just put in for everything and build priority, its pretty cheap(4 bucks per draw I think) and that way a few years down te road youll be good to go if you wanna huntsomething different

I also second reading the regs and then perousing mywildalberta to see what wait times are for different species

wasteland.soldier
04-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Oh wow. I'd never seen the draw reports on the mywildalberta site. That's amazing! I'd just seen the general percentages on the draw booklet the government puts out.

Thanks guys!

Scott N
04-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Pronghorn is a pretty unique hunt, with limited opportunities.

wasteland.soldier
04-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Can anybody tell me: If you draw for more than one species, can you just buy one of the tags and retain priority with the other(s)?

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Can anybody tell me: If you draw for more than one species, can you just buy one of the tags and retain priority with the other(s)?

No....if you draw you draw. If you don't want to get picked, 999 the draw.

LC

Fishingaddict
04-17-2014, 02:36 PM
thanks everyone for the help I never thought to check my wild ab will probably just buy a whitetail tag for this year and see what its like and put in and build up priority for a muley thanks all

wasteland.soldier
04-17-2014, 02:40 PM
thanks everyone for the help I never thought to check my wild ab will probably just buy a whitetail tag for this year and see what its like and put in and build up priority for a muley thanks all

Why not start 999'ing moose and elk in case you want those down the road? It's like $4...

Fishingaddict
04-17-2014, 02:41 PM
one more question for putting my name in draws for say a mule deer do I get to choose which area I can get a tag for or is it like I can get drawn for a mule deer anywhere in alberta?
thanks in advance

Fishingaddict
04-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Why not start 999'ing moose and elk in case you want those down the road? It's like $4...
that's a good idea as well thank you

wasteland.soldier
04-17-2014, 02:45 PM
one more question for putting my name in draws for say a mule deer do I get to choose which area I can get a tag for or is it like I can get drawn for a mule deer anywhere in alberta?
thanks in advance

Priority goes up universally, but you chose which WMU to go for. You get three choices in a hierarchy IIRC (1st choice, 2nd...). You don't have to give all choices if there's just one WMU you really want. Then if you don't get that choice, your priority just goes up. If you don't want to draw one at all but you want your priority to go up, select 999 as your WMU choice.

EDIT: that first sentence may be unclear. If I've never entered the draw, I have priority 0 for mule deer. I try for 326, but don't get it. Next year my priority is 1 for mule deer whether I try for 326 or 408.

Fishingaddict
04-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Priority goes up universally, but you chose which WMU to go for. You get three choices in a hierarchy IIRC (1st choice, 2nd...). You don't have to give all choices if there's just one WMU you really want. Then if you don't get that choice, your priority just goes up. If you don't want to draw one at all but you want your priority to go up, select 999 as your WMU choice.

EDIT: that first sentence may be unclear. If I've never entered the draw, I have priority 0 for mule deer. I try for 326, but don't get it. Next year my priority is 1 for mule deer whether I try for 326 or 408.
ok so if I want a tag for say WMU 116 since its my first year I have no priority and I don't get a tag then I have a priority of one for next year which just increases my chance of being drawn and then my 3rd year roles around and I am drawn I can then choose which WMU I want to hunt my mule deer in correct?

IR_mike
04-17-2014, 02:53 PM
ok so if I want a tag for say WMU 116 since its my first year I have no priority and I don't get a tag then I have a priority of one for next year which just increases my chance of being drawn and then my 3rd year roles around and I am drawn I can then choose which WMU I want to hunt my mule deer in correct?

No....you draw for a tag in a given WMU.

Fishingaddict
04-17-2014, 02:56 PM
No....you draw for a tag in a given WMU.
so I don't choose which wmu I get to hunt in?

wasteland.soldier
04-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Draw for the wmu that you want. Even with priority zero you might get it. If you don't get it, next year you will have priority 1.

Fishingaddict
04-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Draw for the wmu that you want. Even with priority zero you might get it. If you don't get it, next year you will have priority 1.
ok thank you

wasteland.soldier
04-17-2014, 02:58 PM

You do get to chose. I think he said no because it sounded a little like you thought you don't chose until you are successful. You chose each year when you place your draw choice.

IR_mike
04-17-2014, 02:59 PM

When you draw it is in a specific WMU that you choose when you enter your draw choice.

You don't pick your WMU after you have been drawn.

Fishingaddict
04-17-2014, 03:05 PM
ok thanks guys this cleared up a lot of confusion for me :)

pseelk
04-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Dont forget to put in for Walleye.:)

Fishingaddict
04-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Dont forget to put in for Walleye.:)
Oh I've already done that haha:)

hayseed
04-18-2014, 12:16 PM
If your a P-0, put in for everything you can.

Once guns, knives, bows, spears and everything else is banned, at least you still have your priorities....

Fishingaddict
04-18-2014, 12:21 PM
If your a P-0, put in for everything you can.

Once guns, knives, bows, spears and everything else is banned, at least you still have your priorities....
What's a P-0?

leeaspell
04-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Priority zero

Fishingaddict
04-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Priority zero
Ok thanks