PDA

View Full Version : magpies

flamingo
04-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Hey

It is legal to trap magpies ? I have a massive outdoor aviary i was hoping for someone to trap some chicks for me

Right now i keep mynahs I let them free fly every day, magpies are just as smart and talk

I will pay whatever u like

Redfrog
04-17-2014, 01:48 PM
I have some. They are $1100 each. plus shipping and handling. I do give a discount for orders of 500 or more.

flamingo
04-17-2014, 01:50 PM
you have some what?

magpies you are selling 1100 each?

They are a pest its like getting a starling that price is insane

I can buy a macaw for that price

Redfrog
04-17-2014, 01:52 PM
you have some what?

I'm just having some fun with you.:) How about $600 a piece?/

north american hunter
04-17-2014, 01:53 PM
$600 each? What a steal! Ill take a couple. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

IR_mike
04-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Place your order via PM.....My prices are WAY more competitive then the above poster.

We have more trees in this area than Bodo.

More trees=more nesting areas.

Thanks

Mike from mikes wildlife sales/rentals LTD.

flamingo
04-17-2014, 01:54 PM
so ur charging me 600 for a bird that is considered a flying rat? lol

trap a nest full of them and i can

u can ship west jet here as eurasian magpies
ill pay shipping

flamingo
04-17-2014, 01:55 PM
pm doesnt work

can someone pm me?

I am serious about this

ill take any LEGAL corvid species

Redfrog
04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
No problem. EMT would work. How many do you want?

Welcome to AO. How about you tell us where you are from and show us some pics of your birds/aviary etc. We love pics and we even have a few guys here who raise birds. Not mynahs mind you.

I'm guessing you live on the wet coast.

flamingo
04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
they make better pets than parrots

Hey from ontario here

Here is my mini toucan

But he doesnt like the cold weather and does not like being outside of his cage

My rosellas are now outside

I am still working on the avairy it is a total mess but i am free flying my quaker parakeets and my red rumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrlUa4LvNgA

Last year i took some starlings but i prefer corvids

Redfrog
04-17-2014, 02:02 PM
they make better PIES than parrots

What about the bird flu??? Do they have a tweetment for that yet?:thinking-006:

flamingo
04-17-2014, 02:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yepoyW9ZkCA

thats my outdoor aviary soon i will fill it with plants etc..

THe birds have to be caged at first so they know their area

Is it only alberta they are legal to trap?

Pudelpointer
04-17-2014, 02:04 PM
To be serious for a moment (then Redfrog can go back to pulling your chain) it is illegal to keep any wildlife, including pest species, without a permit from the appropriate government agency.

In days long passed, many people had pet crows, raccoons, even skunks and flying squirrels. Can't do that any more. Well, not legally anyway.

ETA: just saw you are in Ontario. You had better check with your provincial Ministry of Natural Resources about the legality of keeping any native species of wildlife.

Non-native species (stalings and pidgeons) are probably not a problem in most jurisdictions, however I would still double check.

flamingo
04-17-2014, 02:05 PM
wildlife rehab said I can own starlings, pigeons, house sparrows

Redfrog
04-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Are you living in Ontario now?

Where did you get the mynahs? Are they wild? When I lived in B.C> there lots of wild ones on the coast.

flamingo
04-17-2014, 02:07 PM
i bought the mynah off kijiji

feral mynahs in canada?

THey are very very aggressive birds

Id love to get more like a partner for mine

flamingo
04-17-2014, 02:09 PM
so this is what i was told

I am allowed to keep starlings, english sprarrows, and pigeons

I need a permit for mallard ducks (UNLess they are white) canada geese and ring neck pheseants

yeah i live in toronto

i was told the eurasian magpie which is just like ours is totally legal to own and is a pest in some areas

Pudelpointer
04-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Are you living in Ontario now?

Where did you get the mynahs? Are they wild? When I lived in B.C> there lots of wild ones on the coast.

Mynahs are almost all gone now Red. As far as I know I saw one of the last ones about 18 years ago a hop and a skip from Granville Island. I could be wrong though.

Pudelpointer
04-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Alberta only has native magpies.

flamingo
yeah hill mynahs are VERY rare

I did not think common mynahs existed in canada wild

Redfrog
Yep. That's why I thought you were on the west coast.

I'll quit jerking your chain now. If you are in Ontario, I have no idea of the legalities of permits etc.

The mynahs on the coast were in Southern Vancouver, Rcihmond, U>B>C areas and on the island. The climate there is warmer, even than north Vancouver.
There was a locksmith shop that had one in the reception area. The bird would start yelling " Take the money and run" whenever someone walked in.:)It was a feral mynah

flamingo
04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
are they common still i wonder

id pay whatever for mynahs

Redfrog
04-17-2014, 02:22 PM
I left the coast in 2001, there were some there then, but they were never widespread. PP says there are many/ any left. He could be right.

Being on the coast there are several mini climate zones. I know places where palm trees or large cactus were part of the landscaping and were outside year round.
I only recall seeing mynahs in the warmer zones.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
04-17-2014, 05:39 PM
you have some what?

Ravens are smarter then any Macaw I ever seen:bad_boys_20:

threeforthree
04-17-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm just having some fun with you.:) How about $600 a piece?/

my gut is hurting lololl

drake
04-17-2014, 06:48 PM
If you're interested in the "trash can slam" I know a guy who can get you a seagull, pigeon (blue, white, cinnamon), raven, crow and magpie for cheap. pM for details

Pokee
04-18-2014, 01:02 AM
OH MAN, This made me Laugh out loud!!! Too funny!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

H380
04-18-2014, 06:42 AM
If you're interested in the "trash can slam" I know a guy who can get you a seagull, pigeon (blue, white, cinnamon), raven, crow and magpie for cheap. pM for details

Add grackle to your list and it's complete .. LOL ..

densa44
04-18-2014, 07:27 AM
House sparrows and starlings are foreign imports, like dandelions. I pigeons maybe be too.

I don't think that you want magpies in Toronto. You have enough weird birds there already.

I shoot them from my porch when I get the chance. Full grown ones are easy to catch, but just deal with Red on this one. He could use the money.

calgarychef
04-18-2014, 08:49 AM
I shoot lots of magpies too so don't jump on me for this. If we didn't have magpies but saw them in a pet shop, we'd see a gorgeous blue black bird, one of the smartest birds around and one that can be trained to talk. I bet we'd think differently of them. I've always wanted to catch a young one and keep it for awhile to see how they would imprint on a human.

wwbirds
04-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Caught a baby magpie and crow the same week and raised them for a few months many years ago when kids were small (they are 26 and 31 now).
Both very smart but magpie got mean a few months later. Let both go before fall and crow would follow me from fence post to fence post wherever I went for a couple days. never saw the magpie again once released.