PDA

View Full Version : what would be your take on a Crossbow season?

bearbait
04-18-2014, 12:37 PM
What do you all think of this situation?

A separate crossbow season run as follows.

In zones where rifle opens sept 17th
Crossbow season from sept 17th to sept30th then rifle from oct 1st

In zones where rifle opens nov 1st
crossbow season from oct 15- oct 31st

Seems to me to be a good solution to this debate..
Whats your take??
Rob

waterfowler1969
04-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Way to stir the pot.:party0051:

bearbait
04-18-2014, 12:43 PM
not stiring anything. looking for opinions. that's how change happens!!

elkhunter11
04-18-2014, 12:45 PM
I would not at all be in favor of giving up the latter part of the elk rut, just so someone can have a crossbow season. If a special crossbow season is created, someone will immediately ask for a special muzzle loading season.

waterfowler1969
04-18-2014, 12:48 PM
not stiring anything. looking for opinions. that's how change happens!!This has been beat to death on more than just this forum. Search it and you will see it on here and a few other sites. I am against your ideas on any more splitting any and all seasons between all weapons other than archery and rifle(open).

waterfowler1969
04-18-2014, 12:50 PM
I would not at all be in favor of giving up the latter part of the elk rut, just so someone can have a crossbow season. If a special crossbow season is created, someone will immediately ask for a special muzzle loading season.It wont stop there either. Then we will be asked for a spear and knife season.:rolleyes:

bearbait
04-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Its been beat to death on crossbows in archery season not on an alternative season for crossbows..

waterfowler1969
04-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Its been beat to death on crossbows in archery season not on an alternative season for crossbows..Why do you need a different season then the one they have now? Who and what is next?

Redneck Tommy
04-18-2014, 02:20 PM
If rifle season starts sep 17th so does your crossbow season all your proposal does is shorten the rifle season.yes the same season if you can shoot a crossbow you can shoot a rifle.if you do get your animal you can lay down your crossbow and grap your gun not that hard :snapoutofit:

SD1797
04-18-2014, 03:15 PM
If rifle season starts sep 17th so does your crossbow season all your proposal does is shorten the rifle season.yes the same season if you can shoot a crossbow you can shoot a rifle.if you do get your animal you can lay down your crossbow and grap your gun not that hard :snapoutofit:

X2

catnthehat
04-18-2014, 03:20 PM
I have never been in favour of special seasons, if a person wants to hunt with something , have at it, same as many of us already do.
What's next, a traditional archery or traditional muzzle loading season like they have in some States?
Cat

jungleboy
04-18-2014, 03:32 PM
I have never been in favour of special seasons, if a person wants to hunt with something , have at it, same as many of us already do.
What's next, a traditional archery or traditional muzzle loading season like they have in some States?
Cat

I agree , all or nothing . no need for special seasons. We have some archery only zones and there is no reason why a cross bow or Atlatl can't be part of that. Maybe change them to no fire arm zones if you like. Otherwise the rest of the zones should be, use what you wish .

Mistagin
04-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Personally I'm in agreement with Cat on this one.

However, just for the sake of stirring this pot, how about putting things in 'effective range' seasons :sHa_sarcasticlol:?

Or how about people draw for tags for specific 'tools' (i.e. antlered muscle-power drawn bow whitetail, or crossbow cow moose, or muzzleloader mule deer) and they darn well better not be caught carrying a different tool than the tag is for? :bad_boys_20:

Aw maybe not, SRD and APOS would just mess it all up anyway :thinking-006:.

:scared0018:

3blade
04-18-2014, 05:04 PM
My take is that crossbow hunters shouldn't get an extra 3 days out of your deal, get your math right first.

If anything, we could do a trial run where the first week of current general seasons become a "primitive weapons" - anything but center fire rifle- season. Since its the gun guys whining about crossbows and atlatls.

if you want something YOU pay for it, not anyone or everyone else.

Matt L.
04-18-2014, 05:33 PM
I agree with cat's take as well. We don't need another special season IMO.

sakogreywolf
04-18-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm fine with the way things are. In fact the last thing I would want is a crossbow or muzzleloader season created.

bergman
04-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Not in favour of a special season for crossbows at all.

If you want to hunt with a crossbow because you like it and it is more challenging, good for you and you should do it in the general season. If you want to have a special season so you can have the whole province to yourself and have an advantage over other hunters, I have a problem with that.

"General" is for any legal means. So you already have a crossbow season. :)

xxclaro
04-18-2014, 08:59 PM
I'll throw in with those who would prefer to leave it be. The way it is now is fine, I see no need for any more special seasons. Crossbows can be used during the rifle season, so fans of them can use them already. I don't anyone feels like giving up part of their season to another special season.

huntinstuff
04-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Crossbow....archery. Whats the difference

Both shoot arrows. Both have a string. Both use a trigger mechanism. Both use broadheads.

One season.

There. Done. It never has to be debated again.

You are welcome.

CanuckShooter
04-18-2014, 10:34 PM
I agree , all or nothing . no need for special seasons. We have some archery only zones and there is no reason why a cross bow or Atlatl can't be part of that. Maybe change them to no fire arm zones if you like. Otherwise the rest of the zones should be, use what you wish .

They might have more and more no firearm zones with more hunting pressure and less game. I wouldn't like it, but it could happen.

Big Daddy Badger
04-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Cross bow...sure.
Special season...no.

I get a kick out of guys who think that others should get out of their way because they choose to exercise free will and do something.
Their choice becomes everyone elses problem.

How about this?

Hunt with a recurve, a crossbow, a compound, a traditional BP, an inline, a modern rifle, a spear a rock or whatever you wish and do it on an equal footing with everyone else.

Choose your weapon and accept the advantages and the disadvantages that come with that choice instead of looking for ways to push others out of the way.

One season... and you can choose to hunt within it using whatever weapon is your preference.

huntinstuff
04-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Cross bow...sure.
Special season...no.

I get a kick out of guys who think that others should get out of their way because they choose to exercise free will and do something.
Their choice becomes everyone elses problem.

How about this?

Hunt with a recurve, a crossbow, a compound, a traditional BP, an inline, a modern rifle, a spear a rock or whatever you wish and do it on an equal footing with everyone else.

Choose your weapon and accept the advantages and the disadvantages that come with that choice instead of looking for ways to push others out of the way.

One season... and you can choose to hunt within it using whatever weapon is your preference.

That makes way too much sense.

Imagine just having a hunting season. Period. No special "bow hunting" licence crap.

Pick up your favorite hunting tool and buy a tag and go.

But, someone always wants to be special

Big Daddy Badger
04-18-2014, 10:59 PM
That makes way too much sense.

Imagine just having a hunting season. Period. No special "bow hunting" licence crap.

Pick up your favorite hunting tool and buy a tag and go.

But, someone always wants to be special

I should start taking my meds.

When I do I can at least imagine a world where people do not expect others to compensate them for their individual choices.

Separate seasons was the worst idea ever and the rub is that we all went along with it at first because it seemed reasonable.

And then they wanted more....

catnthehat
04-18-2014, 11:10 PM
I should start taking my meds.

When I do I can at least imagine a world where people do not expect others to compensate them for their individual choices.

Separate seasons was the worst idea ever and the rub is that we all went along with it at first because it seemed reasonable.

And then they wanted more....

I have never liked the special seasons and never worried about using my stick bow or cap lock in the general season and i won't worry about using my Atlatl this year in the regular season either.:)
Cat

chopperman
04-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Not in favour of a special season for crossbows at all.

If you want to hunt with a crossbow because you like it and it is more challenging, good for you and you should do it in the general season. If you want to have a special season so you can have the whole province to yourself and have an advantage over other hunters, I have a problem with that.

"General" is for any legal means. So you already have a crossbow season. :)

X2 well said

Big Daddy Badger
04-19-2014, 12:44 AM
I have never liked the special seasons and never worried about using my stick bow or cap lock in the general season and i won't worry about using my Atlatl this year in the regular season either.:)
Cat

Thats because unlike so many others Cat... you are interested in challenge and not just pretending to be interested in challenge.

My rotator cuffs won't take that but I might be inclined to take up a cross-bow.

HunterDave
04-19-2014, 12:51 AM
I'm not in favour of a special season for crossbow, it should be included in the archery only season just like all other archery tools including the atlatl.

The ABA wants to ban atlatls. The ABA fights the use of crossbows. The ABA is a bunch of entitled pigs that have no use for any other form of hunting other than their own. The ABA are idiots that couldn't care less about outdoorsmen that hunt using a different method, including the use of a rifle. The ABA is probably the biggest threat to our hunting heritage in Alberta.....bar none, including PETA. If you're a one trick pony then I understand you being a member of the ABA, but of you are a well rounded outdoorsmen and supporting the ABA, you're supporting one small segment of the hunting fraternity that use bows and no one else. If that's who you are, then do it. If you support all hunters in Alberta, then being a member in the ABA isn't going to do it for you. They care about bows only at the expense of all others.

Pincherguy
04-19-2014, 06:08 AM

Whats your take??
Rob

At one time I hunted with a bow , a cross bow, muzzle loader, and rifle. I don't bow hunt anymore and I would like to see cross bows allowed in the archery season. That will most likely never happen so a special cross bow season has little chance either. I think things are about as good as they are going to get. We have archery season and some primitive weapon zones. When I want to hunt with my crossbow or my muzzle loader I take them out in regular season and have at it. The only way to change anything is have a majority of people wanting the change, good luck with that.

C Taylor
04-19-2014, 06:47 AM
If there was a crossbow season. I could see a lot of people go buy a crossbow try it for a day or two and the next season it would lay in a corner collecting dust. Those that want to bow hunt but can't physically pull a bow back can get a permit to hunt with a crossbow in archery season. You don't see many getting a permit because they are heavy, awkward an not as accurate as a bow.
I do think that people over 65 should be able to use them in archery without needing the hassle of a permit.

dmcbride
04-19-2014, 06:53 AM
I agree crossbows belong in the archery season along with spears and atlatls. By the logic we are using now, compounds belong in the general season. With today's compounds a new hunter can be very accurate in a few shots if the bow is already set up. I realize that you still need to hold the draw wait with a bow but with today's let off it really isn't that much different then a crossbow. 40 pound draw with 80% let off is like 8 pounds. Some crossbows weigh more than 8 pounds.

I have no idea why spears and atlatls aren't already allowed in the archery season. Maybe that is the reason the ABA wants them banned. Not that they can't defend there use but, they can't defend keeping them out of the archery season.:sHa_shakeshout:

roy9525
04-19-2014, 08:05 AM
I'm not in favour of a special season for crossbow, it should be included in the archery only season just like all other archery tools including the atlatl.

The ABA wants to ban atlatls. The ABA fights the use of crossbows. The ABA is a bunch of entitled pigs that have no use for any other form of hunting other than their own. The ABA are idiots that couldn't care less about outdoorsmen that hunt using a different method, including the use of a rifle. The ABA is probably the biggest threat to our hunting heritage in Alberta.....bar none, including PETA. If you're a one trick pony then I understand you being a member of the ABA, but of you are a well rounded outdoorsmen and supporting the ABA, you're supporting one small segment of the hunting fraternity that use bows and no one else. If that's who you are, then do it. If you support all hunters in Alberta, then being a member in the ABA isn't going to do it for you. They care about bows only at the expense of all others. x2

FCLightning
04-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Whats your take??
Rob

A good solution is to leave it as it is. We do not need separate seasons for everything.

Pikebreath
04-19-2014, 08:40 AM
I would like to see a "limited range season" for 2 - 3 weeks after the regular general season closes in which crossbows, archery, and muzzleloaders could be used. No extra tags given out,,,, just another opportunity to hunt with any unused regular season tags. This way no one group gives up any current season for another and the muzzy and crossbow guys get their season (if they have left any tags unused).

albertaatlatl
04-19-2014, 08:55 AM
I, for one, am against a seperate season for crossbows. They resemble a rifle more than a bow, so leave them there in general season. There is no reason for a split season! I'm in agreeance with Cat on this one! Hunt the season with what you choose, that's allowable in that season. If you want a crossbow season, what's to stop there? Why not a primitive season, knife season, spear season, stone seasons, etc.? The crossbow was put in General so leave it there. dmcbride has a good point on Atlatls in Archery....why not?

Deer Hunter
04-19-2014, 09:02 AM
I, for one, am against a seperate season for crossbows. They resemble a rifle more than a bow, so leave them there in general season. There is no reason for a split season! I'm in agreeance with Cat on this one! Hunt the season with what you choose, that's allowable in that season. If you want a crossbow season, what's to stop there? Why not a primitive season, knife season, spear season, stone seasons, etc.? The crossbow was put in General so leave it there. dmcbride has a good point on Atlatls in Archery....why not?

You're hilarious. Suckin and blowing pretty hard there.

Archery and spears deserve a separate season but not crossbows.??!
Depends on which special interest group you're in I guess. :snapoutofit:

Since when are spear hunters more deserving than crossbow hunters? Don't bother answering this because this whole spear thing is nothing more than a distraction.

Matt L.
04-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Since when are spear hunters more deserving than crossbow hunters? Don't bother answering this because this whole spear thing is nothing more than a distraction.

Where did his post say he wants a spear season? Might want to read it again.

Deer Hunter
04-19-2014, 09:28 AM
He agreed with dmcbide on putting spears and atlatals in archery season. But then is saying he doesn't believe in separate seasons as per cat in the hat.

Whatever works best. For him...

calgarychef
04-19-2014, 09:51 AM
The only way to manage this is to allow cross owns spears and atlatls in the general season.....oh wait a minute, they already are.

waterfowler1969
04-19-2014, 09:56 AM
the only way to manage this is to allow cross owns spears and atlatls in the general season.....oh wait a minute, they already are.lol.:)

dmcbride
04-19-2014, 10:00 AM

Just curious why you think there is a archery season? I always thought it was because it was harder and the success rate was lower. I am not trying to say there needs to be more separate seasons but maybe some methods belong in the archery season.

bearbait
04-19-2014, 10:14 AM
I personally don't use crossbow. there just always seems to be a ruckus on them so was curious what you guys thought of a separate season.
I will admit the one good comment that came out was a 2 week primitive weapon season after the general was over. to me crossbows can stay where they are im fine with that.
even with primitive weapons what are they? guys are shooting muzzle loaders to 900 yards now..

Icon
04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
I have never understood the separation of the Archery and General seasons, but I have always wanted to take up Archery to take advantage of it. That said, I think that there should be only one "USE WHAT EVER IS LEGAL" season.

There are two exceptions to this though... Primitive weapons only in the highly populated City zones. And keeping the archery only season for Antelope because I believe that archers typically use decoys to get close. Don't want anyone shot sitting behind a decoy!

bearbait
04-19-2014, 10:26 AM
The archery season has its place. Archers have to get closer and to do that game cant be spooky. with an average shot of 30 yards there's no comparison to rifle there.

catnthehat
04-19-2014, 10:43 AM
The archery season has its place. Archers have to get closer and to do that game cant be spooky. with an average shot of 30 yards there's no comparison to rifle there.

However our technology has increased do dramatically that 30 yards only applies to those that want to adhere to it.
Some bows are capable of longer yard distance , and some aren't
Same as the modern bolt action inclines ( and many hunters as well)
to say that they belong in a season with a traditional cap lock or flint lock because they are technically muzzle loaders loaders ridiculous .
Cat

crownb
04-19-2014, 11:05 AM

^^^^^^
Problem solved

bearbait
04-19-2014, 11:07 AM
However our technology has increased do dramatically that 30 yards only applies to those that want to adhere to it.
Some bows are capable of longer yard distance , and some aren't
Same as the modern bolt action inclines ( and many hunters as well)
to say that they belong in a season with a traditional cap lock or flint lock because they are technically muzzle loaders loaders ridiculous .
Cat

yes the bows are but most shooters are not. even still 60 yards is streching it badly.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
04-19-2014, 11:22 AM

Whats your take??
Rob

I say shorten the bow seasons and introduce a muzzle loader season with 2 weeks in between each weapons seasons :scared0018:

58thecat
04-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Crossbow....archery. Whats the difference

Both shoot arrows. Both have a string. Both use a trigger mechanism. Both use broadheads.

One season.

There. Done. It never has to be debated again.

You are welcome.
Well said:sHa_shakeshout:

bearbait
04-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Well said:sHa_shakeshout:

one has a scope.. difference found!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

jungleboy
04-19-2014, 11:47 AM
one has a scope.. difference found!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

You can put a scope on a Compound bow / you can shoot a cross bow without one what's your point:sHa_sarcasticlol:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UFg4FL0gL.jpg

J D
04-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Not dead against crossbows in archery season but when it comes to archery draws I would say you should also increase the % of tags going to archery if this is done.

Adding in the use of crossbows would increase the number of hunters using the archery draws so it would only make sense to increase % of tags.

Adding in the use of crossbows would take away the argument from hunters who say they cannot use a bow.

I have hunted with a crossbow in the past and the only thing crossbows have in common is a fletched projectile, string, and short range. Not against them but they are very different then a bow and a lot easier to become accurate with.

The biggest thing to take into consideration is with the increase of hunters using the archery season there will be an increase in harvest. Because of this changes in how these season are run would be needed to properly mange wildlife.

Really this could increase and decrease opportunity for hunters at the same time. Take into consideration that archery season would need to be adjusted to achieve proper management of game numbers. You would not be able to run seasons they same as they are now.

In the end it is not as simple as just adding crossbows to archery season

bearbait
04-19-2014, 12:32 PM
I was waiting for the sight scope comment. a little different I think.

bearbait
04-19-2014, 12:36 PM
don't want to ague the difference between compound and regular archery tackle. they are very different. it would be like comparing a pistol to a rifle.

Chewbacca
04-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Personally I could never figure out why there has to be a special season for anything. When hunting season opens, take what what you want to hunt with and get hunting.

Kaz Dog
04-19-2014, 02:32 PM
My two cents, only two hunting seasons, one specifically for things that don't go "boom", and one that does. Of course you have to have archery only WMU's to keep rifles away from populated areas and keep the unskilled firearm users and the non-firearms community happy, but that to me is acceptable.

ndw
04-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Why not bow and crossbow the same season, they are virtually the same now,

Icefisher2885
04-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Why not bow and crossbow the same season, they are virtually the same now,

They really aren't, though. I really don't think most people appreciate the fact that one of THE most difficult elements of bowhunting is the actual drawing of the bow undetected. Being able to pre-cock the Xbow and shoot it from any position, including prone, makes it a drastically more efficient, and easier weapon to use.

I have no doubt that many people will now say that "You can hold an 80% let off bow for ages!". Well, I've been a top flight competitive archer for over 10 years, and I've seen a lot of people, including some dang large ones, claim that they can hold their bow at full draw for X number of minutes and still make an efficient shot. Despite those claims, I've never actually seen anybody who could back it up. A 1 minute draw is going to cripple the accuracy of 95% of people. I'm not saying that there isn't ANYBODY who can't hold a draw for 3 minutes and still make a decent shot, but they are very, very few and far between.

bsmitty27
04-19-2014, 04:34 PM
I think it's simple stupid.
2 seasons

Rifle/shotgun, deepening on location

Primitive, everything else.

KISS

Brad

Helim
04-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Cross bow season would be retarded i agree with the 2 weeks after general season ends that would be awesome

xxclaro
04-19-2014, 07:14 PM
They really aren't, though. I really don't think most people appreciate the fact that one of THE most difficult elements of bowhunting is the actual drawing of the bow undetected. Being able to pre-cock the Xbow and shoot it from any position, including prone, makes it a drastically more efficient, and easier weapon to use.

I have no doubt that many people will now say that "You can hold an 80% let off bow for ages!". Well, I've been a top flight competitive archer for over 10 years, and I've seen a lot of people, including some dang large ones, claim that they can hold their bow at full draw for X number of minutes and still make an efficient shot. Despite those claims, I've never actually seen anybody who could back it up. A 1 minute draw is going to cripple the accuracy of 95% of people. I'm not saying that there isn't ANYBODY who can't hold a draw for 3 minutes and still make a decent shot, but they are very, very few and far between.

Exactly what I was thinking, its not an issue of accuracy. You can buy a device called a draw-lock for a compound that allows you to draw and lock the string in place till your ready to shoot. They are not legal here because they make it much easier to successfully get a shot. Bowhunters will probably mostly agree that you get busted trying to draw more than anything else. I've also been unable to take the shot on some nice deer because I wasn't in quite the right position to take the shot. They would have been easy shots with a crossbow.
The thing you have to remember with adding seasons or allowing more effective weapons is that there are only so many animals that can be taken from the herd. If we take more in one season, we must take less in another. Allow crossbows into archery, and more animals will be taken. Tags will have to be reduced elsewhere. Same goes for muzzleloaders. Allowing 2 extra weeks at the end of the season, when the deer have already been pushed hard for the whole season is not something that I think would have a positive effect on the health of the herd either.

albertaatlatl
04-19-2014, 07:29 PM

I'm going to bother! Read what I said...sarcastically! Crossbows in General, Spears in General! What's the problem? I don't think we're more deserving than crossbow hunters. Get that straight! I use a crossbow, 1957 with 150lb fibreglass bow, iron sights! I'm accurate at 40 yards too! They belong where they are!! What I said was if you want a seperate season for these, then someone will want a season for something else! If you want them in Archery, then lobby it. We haven't lobbied for spears in archery, we're happy we can use them. Be happy we can use crossbows.

albertaatlatl
04-19-2014, 07:35 PM

I'm going to bother! Read what I said...sarcastically! Crossbows in General, Spears in General! What's the problem? I don't think we're more deserving than crossbow hunters. Get that straight! I use a crossbow, 1957 with 150lb fibreglass bow, iron sights! I'm accurate at 40 yards too! They belong where they are!! What I said was if you want a seperate season for these, then someone will want a season for something else! If you want them in Archery, then lobby it. We haven't lobbied for spears in archery, we're happy we can use them. Be happy we can use crossbows.

RayM77
04-19-2014, 07:41 PM
I am all for separate seasons like they do in Saskatchewan or other states as long as they provide an opportunity for more hunters to get out in the field and enjoy hunting. Archery and primitive weapon seasons can be used as a great conservation tool while still getting people in the outdoors.

hal53
04-19-2014, 08:03 PM
What a mess the ABA created when they lobbied for a separate Bow Season....sigh.........

fish gunner
04-19-2014, 08:08 PM
I want a seperate .270 season and a mod seventy season ..... cause we're more special. :sHa_shakeshout:

Nait Hadya
04-19-2014, 08:25 PM
A separate crossbow season:budo:

covey ridge
04-19-2014, 08:51 PM

I do not think anyone deserves a separate special season!

Some areas may require limitations on what is allowed for safety reasons.

Big Daddy Badger
04-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Having read the responses her perhaps the real question should be...How many feel the government should be lobbied to eliminate all special seasons for bow, primitive etc and return to having one season for all.

It occurs to me that is a well written proposal...backed by enough hunters was presented to government... the ABA might find themselves too busy to continue their attacks on other hunters,

Just sayin....:evilgrin:

xxclaro
04-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Honest question, when was the separate bow season created, and what was the general season like before that? Was it the same as general season now, or did they take some of it away for the bow season?

covey ridge
04-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Having read the responses her perhaps the real question should be...How many feel the government should be lobbied to eliminate all special seasons for bow, primitive etc and return to having one season for all.

I would be for that.

winger7mm
04-19-2014, 09:58 PM
I would like to see that crossbows get allowed into the archery season, Its still a bow, still less then 500fps. However if we did get a post season opening for crossbow looks like im gonna have to buy a new toy..........

I agree with the bow season being seperate from general season, as it is now. We just need more allowances into the seasons such as cross bows and pistols..........:shark:

hal53
04-19-2014, 10:08 PM
I would like to see that crossbows get allowed into the archery season, Its still a bow, still less then 500fps. However if we did get a post season opening for crossbow looks like im gonna have to buy a new toy..........

I agree with the bow season being seperate from general season, as it is now. We just need more allowances into the seasons such as cross bows and pistols..........:shark:
Don't agree with the extended season over here anyway, they tried it and it ****ed off the landowners, still having trouble figuring out how the bow hunters got 2+ months for their season, and rifle stayed the same? , can only assume it was lobbied as a very small percentage of the hunters, using recurves??. Times change, equipment changes, a " primitive" weapons season is now a joke if you look at compound bows and in-line muzzle loaders, you want to hunt, ?, take your bow out from Oct 1 to Oct 30, you want rifle, go from Nov 1-30. you want spears, altalis. rocks , knives ? go for it ... and yes, the bowhunters will scream that they will miss the best of the Elk rut, know what????, that may not be a bad thing for game populations.....

winger7mm
04-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Don't agree with the extended season over here anyway, they tried it and it ****ed off the landowners, still having trouble figuring out how the bow hunters got 2+ months for their season, and rifle stayed the same? , can only assume it was lobbied as a very small percentage of the hunters, using recurves??. Times change, equipment changes, a " primitive" weapons season is now a joke if you look at compound bows and in-line muzzle loaders, you want to hunt, ?, take your bow out from Oct 1 to Oct 30, you want rifle, go from Nov 1-30. you want spears, altalis. rocks , knives ? go for it ... and yes, the bowhunters will scream that they will miss the best of the Elk rut, know what????, that may not be a bad thing for game populations.....

Well I know my old hunting spots the archery went from aug25-sept16th then general was from sept17-nov 30th........ My new haunts are from Sept1-Oct24th for bow and Oct 25-Nov 30th. OORRRR Sept1 - Nov5th for bow and rifle being ONLY wed-sat from nov 5th-30th....... depending on where I go.....
Dunno where you are to get an extra 2 months but now that im a bow hunter sign me up ;)

hal53
04-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Well I know my old hunting spots the archery went from aug25-sept16th then general was from sept17-nov 30th........ My new haunts are from Sept1-Oct24th for bow and Oct 25-Nov 30th. OORRRR Sept1 - Nov5th for bow and rifle being ONLY wed-sat from nov 5th-30th....... depending on where I go.....
Dunno where you are to get an extra 2 months but now that im a bow hunter sign me up ;)
years ago 339-340 archery was Aug. 20th to Oct. 31, rifle was Nov. 1-30th, changed about '77-78 I believe

winger7mm
04-19-2014, 11:20 PM
years ago 339-340 archery was Aug. 20th to Oct. 31, rifle was Nov. 1-30th, changed about '77-78 I believe

Date yourself much ;) lol Jokes of course, times were better back in the day :)

Big Daddy Badger
04-20-2014, 02:00 AM
I would be for that.

Well maybe we should get our feet moving.
Times-a-wasting and we have some catching up to do.

Ultimate Predator
04-20-2014, 04:06 AM
Same old story on crossbows get a bow and practice they have their own season called general season absolutly not

hillbillyreefer
04-20-2014, 09:53 AM

The 200 zones have archery from 1st week in September until Oct. 31. By my math that works out to an extra 2 months.

Allow all sticks and strings in archery season or get rid of archery season and let everyone hunt.

58thecat
04-20-2014, 09:58 AM
You can put a scope on a Compound bow / you can shoot a cross bow without one what's your point:sHa_sarcasticlol:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UFg4FL0gL.jpg

Well said!:)

bb356
04-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Easy ... just put the crossbow in archery season where it belong's !!!

LBB
04-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Honest question, when was the separate bow season created, and what was the general season like before that? Was it the same as general season now, or did they take some of it away for the bow season?

Simple answer no, bowhunting seasons were created by adding extra time not removing any rifle season.
Bow hunting was legalized in the late 1960s. When I started in 1973 we had one tag and a three week season in the area that I hunted. Over time the season expanded to multi tags and 2 to 3 months season. Today both bow hunting and rifle hunting are losing opportunity, due to many factors. The government considers many items when deciding on season dates, game management, landowner issues,etc. The government also try's to maximize recreational days for hunters, so with lower success rates, less landowner disturbance, bowhunting can have a longer season. I also rifle hunt.

LBB
04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Simple answer no, bowhunting seasons were created by adding extra time not removing any rifle season.
Bow hunting was legalized in the late 1960s. When I started in 1973 we had one tag and a three week season in the area that I hunted. Over time the season expanded to multi tags and 2 to 3 months season. Today both bow hunting and rifle hunting are losing opportunity, due to many factors. The government considers many items when deciding on season dates, game management, landowner issues,etc. The government also try's to maximize recreational days for hunters, so with lower success rates, less landowner disturbance, bowhunting can have a longer season. I also rifle hunt.

Should have said late 50 not 60s for when bowhunting was legalized

Salavee
04-28-2014, 05:43 PM

No gunpowder seasons make sense to me. Pick your tool and go hunting. Almost too simple.

craig82
04-28-2014, 09:02 PM
No gunpowder seasons make sense to me. Pick your tool and go hunting. Almost too simple.

X2. If you want to use a xbow in the archery season you should be able to. Same as a spear rock or whatever you want as long as its 1 chance at short distance. Why do bow hunters care so much ? You can use them in Ontario why is it different here?

huntinstuff
04-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Personally I could never figure out why there has to be a special season for anything. When hunting season opens, take what what you want to hunt with and get hunting.

X100,000,000

No one is special. I dont care what their mommy says.

Hunting Season.

The End.

Used to be simple. Then it became complicated.
It needs to be simple again.
We need some "sportsmen" to be outed for the idiots they are and kept from ever holding office again.

ThreeD
04-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Ever heard of the Pittman-Robertson Act ?

Its a U.S. thing that directs all or a large portion of $$ from licence sales and ammunition directly back into the hands of a states Natural Resources / Wildlife, Fish departments etc. So…being entrepreneurial, those states offer a variety of seasons for a variety of weapons….why…to raise more $$ for the departments. Actually works pretty good. One person could buy a separate bow,muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle licence for deer alone…never mind all the other species and seasons. Thats ALOT of licence $$ from each hunter that goes straight back to the wildlife/DNR department. Pretty smart.

Doesn't work quite like that in Canada, unfortunately. Hunting licence $$ goes into the general "pot o gold" and pays for everything from potholes on highways to schools, municipality funding, you name it.

On that note, I'm not in favour of a variety of seasons and weapons/licences and the licence costs that go with them. If I knew my $$ was going straight back into fish and wildlife ONLY…then I may be more supportive. I support archery season, and a general "firearms" season. Use whatever weapon you choose. Vertical bows only for archery….and anything else for general firearms season.

obsessed1
04-28-2014, 10:00 PM
I think we should just divide the whole season up into caliber seasons for instance 1st week of season is traditional bow. Second week compound bow. Third week cross bow. Fourth week .243 only .fifth week....... oh wait forgot the Spears and atalats ummmm..... I cant believe someone would even suggest breaking up the season any more than it is. One season pick your weapon. My 5 cents

pdfish
04-28-2014, 10:42 PM
I really don't care about about your bow seasons', rifle seasons', atlatl seasons, so forth. I'm gonna start lobbying for a blow gun season, just have to figure out how to keep my tree frogs happy and warm in the pack.

Dakota369
04-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Agreed....... It's a string pushing a stick......pretty simple as I see it

:scared0018:

walking buffalo
04-29-2014, 12:12 AM
I can understand having separate seasons for hunter safety and prey conditioning reasons.

With archery, crossbows, spears and atlatls requiring hunters to get very close to their prey it makes sense to have a single separate season for these tools and another season for firearms and all other tools.

The ABA is promoting the need for a separate exclusive Draw code for archery equipment. If this proposal is accepted, I can see no reason not to include crossbows, spears and atlatls within this season. Previously in this crossbow/archery debate one of the main concerns was that including crossbows into the archery season would result in an increased harvest triggering these general seasons to be put on a draw. Now that there are Archery Draw seasons, the concern for going over the allowable harvest is moot. Other than the argument that "We don't want them in Our season", there is no longer a valid reason to not include crossbows, spears and atlatls into an "Archery" Draw season.

dmcbride
04-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Why is it, that in Alberta some bow hunters are so dead set against anything inter fearing with there precious bow season and feel entitled to a special season? I am not saying all bow hunters but there definitely is a few of them. I see no reason why some other hunting methods shouldn't be included in the archery season. Spears and atlatls for sure as they are not going to increase harvest rates by any substantial number. Crossbows will increase harvest rates a little bit but is a far cry from a rifle and if we need to increase the tag numbers for the archery season and take them from the general season because of the increase in hunters hunting in the archery only season so be it. It's not like we are actually loosing any tags or increasing tags, just issue them according to hunter numbers and success rates.

I like the idea if it goes bang it is for the general season and every thing else belongs in the archery season. Pretty simple concept and would be pretty easy to enforce.

Dan the Saskbertan
04-29-2014, 09:07 AM
I agree crossbows belong in the archery season along with spears and atlatls. By the logic we are using now, compounds belong in the general season. With today's compounds a new hunter can be very accurate in a few shots if the bow is already set up. I realize that you still need to hold the draw wait with a bow but with today's let off it really isn't that much different then a crossbow. 40 pound draw with 80% let off is like 8 pounds. Some crossbows weigh more than 8 pounds.

I have no idea why spears and atlatls aren't already allowed in the archery season. Maybe that is the reason the ABA wants them banned. Not that they can't defend there use but, they can't defend keeping them out of the archery season.:sHa_shakeshout:

X3 !!! Well said.

Sledhead71
04-29-2014, 09:14 AM
If the horizontal strings were allowed in the archery season, you would see an increase in participants for only a couple seasons... Those who choose the horizontal equipment would soon realize this weapon is not a slam dunk like many think...

Couple seasons down the road and there will be the same amount of sportsmen and women committed to this particular season no matter vertical or horizontal weapon.

north american hunter
04-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Crossbows are taking over archery, they should not let crossbows in archery season.

Nor should there be a special season.

dmcbride
04-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Crossbows are taking over archery, they should not let crossbows in archery season.

Nor should there be a special season.

Compounds took archery over a long time ago.

north american hunter
04-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Compounds took archery over a long time ago.

Compound bow are considered archery, crossbows are not.

Sledhead71
04-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Compound bow are considered archery, crossbows are not.

If you research existing areas that allowed the use of horizontal in the vertical season, history shows an initial increase and then back to near original participants...

recce43
04-29-2014, 10:01 AM
bow season should be for long bow not compound bow or crossbow .....

dmcbride
04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Crossbows: Myths & Facts
As hunters who pay hunting license fees and game managers whose programs come from those licenses, we are blessed by the ability of the whitetail deer to adjust to the continued encroachment on its habitat by man and still multiply. If it I were not for the far sighted sportsmen who preceded us and insisted upon scientific management practices, most modern deer hunting today would be very costly and conducted on preserves, behind high-fences.

However, this magnificent animal’s ability to multiply, coupled with conservative management practices, have resulted in whitetail populations at an all-time high. In some areas deer populations are so high that property damage as well as safety and health concerns have arisen. The game manager’s job today is rapidly becoming more sociological than biological. Heaped in the middle comes the issue of creating a new opportunity with a new and misunderstood hunting tool – the crossbow.

MYTH: Crossbows are a poacher’s tool.
FACT: Crossbows, like vertical bows, have short range capabilities, are too cumbersome to discharge from a vehicle, and kill by hemorrhage, not shock. Where legal, violations are minimal. If crossbows were efficient poaching tools their use would be wide-spread by game thieves. The poachers weapon of choice is still the .22 caliber rifle.
MYTH: Crossbows are unsafe.
FACT: Based on thirty years of statistical data, accident rates involving crossbows are identical to those of vertical bows. Both, considering hunting hours involved and numbers of hunters, are considered among the safest forms of hunting.
MYTH: Crossbows are too easy to shoot.
FACT: Experienced rifle shooters can expect to quickly achieve tight arrow groups on targets up to forty yards (the effective hunting range of a crossbow). Is that bad? Isn’t accurate shot placement the goal of all ethical hunting? Does the difficulty of shooting a bow accurately deter people from participating in bowhunting? However, to be successful, a crossbow hunter must master all skills and tactics common to bowhunting.
MYTH: Crossbow hunting will squeeze other hunters out.
FACT: In states where lengthy crossbow seasons, crossbow hunting is popular. However, no other season or bag limit has ever been reduced as a result of crossbow hunting being permitted. Where permitted, the crossbow does not discriminate in favor of the physically strong. It enables a wider range of sportsmen (women, professionals, youth, and older hunters) to enjoy the challenges of bowhunting.
MYTH: Crossbow hunting will wipe out the deer herd
FACT: In states with generous crossbow seasons, the success rate of crossbow hunters and vertical bow hunters are virtually the same and the deer populations continue to flourish.
MYTH: A crossbow is much more efficient than a vertical bow.
FACT: A modern 150# draw weight compound crossbow delivers the same speed and stored energy as a 65-70 pound compound vertical bow. The crossbow requires twice the amount of draw weight because the power stroke (draw length) is half as long as that of the compound bow. If both types of bows launch the same weight arrow at the same speed, how can a crossbow be more efficient and does the deer really care?
MYTH: The crossbow controversy creates division amongst sportsmen, and the public image of crossbows makes proposed hunting with them counter to the sportsmen’s interests.
FACT: Where permitted, crossbow hunting creates NO controversy except that created by a few individuals who deem themselves and their chosen method of hunting as superior to all others. The public image of crossbows stems from the lack of knowledge of a crossbow’s limited capabilities, as well as the myths touted by those who oppose their use. The TRUE controversy and tragedy of the crossbow issue stems from the time, effort and money spent by so called conservation-minded bowhunting organizations to deny others the opportunity to hunt rather than promoting the virtues of bowhunting to the public.
MYTH: There is an independent study which dramatically shows the superior capability of the crossbow (and its development) over the vertical bow.
FACT: This study is about as independent as a study on the need for sport hunting by P.E.T.A.. The study was commissioned by the Anti-Crossbow Committee of a national bowhunting group. Its author is a member of that group. Much of the hypothetical development of hunting crossbows and the limiting physical factors which prevent such development in vertical bows within the study have already been proven erroneous. It is the purpose of the game regulations by the state to control what advances in technology are suitable for sporting use. No state permits the use of machine guns and handheld rockets during deer rifle season!
MYTH: Because it is not hand-drawn and released, the crossbow is more closely compared to a firearm than a vertical bow.
FACT: Opponents to the crossbow often quote an apples and oranges comparison when voicing this smokescreen. The vertical archer, if they are a sportsman/bowhunter, prior to ever going into the field hunting spends hours and hours working on the physical conditioning required by drawing, aiming and shooting their chosen tool – nothing mystical, just physical work. Once the season starts, the act of drawing, aiming and shooting (especially with high let-off compounds utilizing a triggered release aid) is no more difficult for a vertical bowhunter than a crossbow hunter. Movement is required by both (one to draw back the other to raise the crossbow into a shooting position) to obtain the target at an average of less than twenty yards. Both hunters must be accomplished woodsmen to get that close to a whitetail and still mask those necessary movements.
MYTH: Nobody wants crossbow hunting except the crossbow manufacturers.
FACT: In Ohio, crossbow hunting has been permitted for thirty years and the Ohio Division of Wildlife endorses crossbow hunting and the opportunity it creates enthusiastically. Currently there are more hunters participating in the archery season using a crossbow that are using a hand-held bow. These licensed, legal, law-abiding sportsmen in Ohio are commonly the target of slanderous, erroneous and often untruthful attacks from bowhunting groups opposed to crossbow hunting. Many Ohio crossbow hunters also enjoy shooting with vertical archery tackle.
MYTH: Just because crossbow hunting has been a success story in many states like Ohio, Arkansas and Wyoming we don’t want it in ours. All the bowhunters of “our” state and all of “our” enforcement officers are opposed to it.
FACT: The crossbow is a challenging but effective short-range, single-shot hunting tool which offers additional hunting opportunity and recruitment to hunting ranks. If such an option in not considered advantageous by the sportsmen and game management agencies within the state, then the huntable wildlife resources of that state are not being managed to maximize opportunity for MOST citizens. The sportsmen’s cause and the future of hunting in that state are therefore at risk. Recruitment to hunting ranks should be the goal of ALL game managers and sportsmen. As long as the hunting tool falls within logical parameters of safe, capable and humane harvest capabilities, such recruitment should not be based upon, “do it my way or you can’t do it at all.” How can any organization which represents such a small percentile of the total number of archery tag purchasers in a state be so presumptuous to speak for all bowhunters and deny others? Does not their small total membership compared to the large number of archery hunters suggest perhaps they do not represent the views of the majority?
FACT: It is a fact confirmed by agency statistical data in crossbow hunting states that there are vastly more hunters (or potential hunters) who choose or would choose to hunt with a crossbow than those who oppose them.
FACT: Crossbow hunting is documented as safe, responsible and popular where permitted, and has no ill effect on wildlife resources or any other group of sportsmen – other than self-perceived. Ohio ranks the crossbow as a major recruitment tool for women, youth and professionals. The crossbow hunting opportunity does not create division amongst sportsmen – quite the opposite, it gives the firearms hunter a hands-on perspective of the challenges of archery hunting. The REAL concerns surrounding the crossbow hunting opportunity is the concept that there’s no room for recruitment to hunting ranks unless the tool used is one based upon the emotional, purism standards of a few. Wildlife resources should be managed for the most opportunity for most citizens/sportsmen, not for a select few. Facts, not emotion, document the crossbow hunting opportunity as positive for sportsmen and game management programs everywhere it is available for use.

fargineyesore
04-29-2014, 03:32 PM
If there is an archery only season, crossbows should be allowed, otherwise the archery season should be done away with. What makes bow hunters so much more special than anyone else?

dbllung
04-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I see a lot if banter about exclusions in this thread!
I am all for split seasons as I will hunt with as many weapons as I can.. There are NO exclusions or separate advantages !!!! Every hunter in the province has the right to hunt during whatever season they CHOOSE to participate in.. Rather than cry and moan about archery seasons, black powder, crossbow etc etc !!!!
Why don't those doing the complaining just hunt with your CHOICE of weapon during the available seasons , and stop complaining about everyone else's apparent advantages. The rules and seasons are not exclusionary!!! Participate as you choose and stop moaning!! If you don't want to bow hunt that is YOUR conscious choice!!! The rules aren't excluding anyone from picking up a weapon during that available season!! Hunt when you want and if you CHOOSE not to that is to YOUR detriment or advantage..
Those that cry exclusion all of the time , are just missing out opportunities that have been created for YOU!! There are no special seasons that have been created for EVERYONE BUT YOU!!
Good grief !!!:angry3:

RayM77
04-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Crossbows: Myths & Facts
As hunters who pay hunting license fees and game managers whose programs come from those licenses, we are blessed by the ability of the whitetail deer to adjust to the continued encroachment on its habitat by man and still multiply. If it I were not for the far sighted sportsmen who preceded us and insisted upon scientific management practices, most modern deer hunting today would be very costly and conducted on preserves, behind high-fences.

However, this magnificent animal’s ability to multiply, coupled with conservative management practices, have resulted in whitetail populations at an all-time high. In some areas deer populations are so high that property damage as well as safety and health concerns have arisen. The game manager’s job today is rapidly becoming more sociological than biological. Heaped in the middle comes the issue of creating a new opportunity with a new and misunderstood hunting tool – the crossbow.

MYTH: Crossbows are a poacher’s tool.
FACT: Crossbows, like vertical bows, have short range capabilities, are too cumbersome to discharge from a vehicle, and kill by hemorrhage, not shock. Where legal, violations are minimal. If crossbows were efficient poaching tools their use would be wide-spread by game thieves. The poachers weapon of choice is still the .22 caliber rifle.
MYTH: Crossbows are unsafe.
FACT: Based on thirty years of statistical data, accident rates involving crossbows are identical to those of vertical bows. Both, considering hunting hours involved and numbers of hunters, are considered among the safest forms of hunting.
MYTH: Crossbows are too easy to shoot.
FACT: Experienced rifle shooters can expect to quickly achieve tight arrow groups on targets up to forty yards (the effective hunting range of a crossbow). Is that bad? Isn’t accurate shot placement the goal of all ethical hunting? Does the difficulty of shooting a bow accurately deter people from participating in bowhunting? However, to be successful, a crossbow hunter must master all skills and tactics common to bowhunting.
MYTH: Crossbow hunting will squeeze other hunters out.
FACT: In states where lengthy crossbow seasons, crossbow hunting is popular. However, no other season or bag limit has ever been reduced as a result of crossbow hunting being permitted. Where permitted, the crossbow does not discriminate in favor of the physically strong. It enables a wider range of sportsmen (women, professionals, youth, and older hunters) to enjoy the challenges of bowhunting.
MYTH: Crossbow hunting will wipe out the deer herd
FACT: In states with generous crossbow seasons, the success rate of crossbow hunters and vertical bow hunters are virtually the same and the deer populations continue to flourish.
MYTH: A crossbow is much more efficient than a vertical bow.
FACT: A modern 150# draw weight compound crossbow delivers the same speed and stored energy as a 65-70 pound compound vertical bow. The crossbow requires twice the amount of draw weight because the power stroke (draw length) is half as long as that of the compound bow. If both types of bows launch the same weight arrow at the same speed, how can a crossbow be more efficient and does the deer really care?
MYTH: The crossbow controversy creates division amongst sportsmen, and the public image of crossbows makes proposed hunting with them counter to the sportsmen’s interests.
FACT: Where permitted, crossbow hunting creates NO controversy except that created by a few individuals who deem themselves and their chosen method of hunting as superior to all others. The public image of crossbows stems from the lack of knowledge of a crossbow’s limited capabilities, as well as the myths touted by those who oppose their use. The TRUE controversy and tragedy of the crossbow issue stems from the time, effort and money spent by so called conservation-minded bowhunting organizations to deny others the opportunity to hunt rather than promoting the virtues of bowhunting to the public.
MYTH: There is an independent study which dramatically shows the superior capability of the crossbow (and its development) over the vertical bow.
FACT: This study is about as independent as a study on the need for sport hunting by P.E.T.A.. The study was commissioned by the Anti-Crossbow Committee of a national bowhunting group. Its author is a member of that group. Much of the hypothetical development of hunting crossbows and the limiting physical factors which prevent such development in vertical bows within the study have already been proven erroneous. It is the purpose of the game regulations by the state to control what advances in technology are suitable for sporting use. No state permits the use of machine guns and handheld rockets during deer rifle season!
MYTH: Because it is not hand-drawn and released, the crossbow is more closely compared to a firearm than a vertical bow.
FACT: Opponents to the crossbow often quote an apples and oranges comparison when voicing this smokescreen. The vertical archer, if they are a sportsman/bowhunter, prior to ever going into the field hunting spends hours and hours working on the physical conditioning required by drawing, aiming and shooting their chosen tool – nothing mystical, just physical work. Once the season starts, the act of drawing, aiming and shooting (especially with high let-off compounds utilizing a triggered release aid) is no more difficult for a vertical bowhunter than a crossbow hunter. Movement is required by both (one to draw back the other to raise the crossbow into a shooting position) to obtain the target at an average of less than twenty yards. Both hunters must be accomplished woodsmen to get that close to a whitetail and still mask those necessary movements.
MYTH: Nobody wants crossbow hunting except the crossbow manufacturers.
FACT: In Ohio, crossbow hunting has been permitted for thirty years and the Ohio Division of Wildlife endorses crossbow hunting and the opportunity it creates enthusiastically. Currently there are more hunters participating in the archery season using a crossbow that are using a hand-held bow. These licensed, legal, law-abiding sportsmen in Ohio are commonly the target of slanderous, erroneous and often untruthful attacks from bowhunting groups opposed to crossbow hunting. Many Ohio crossbow hunters also enjoy shooting with vertical archery tackle.
MYTH: Just because crossbow hunting has been a success story in many states like Ohio, Arkansas and Wyoming we don’t want it in ours. All the bowhunters of “our” state and all of “our” enforcement officers are opposed to it.
FACT: The crossbow is a challenging but effective short-range, single-shot hunting tool which offers additional hunting opportunity and recruitment to hunting ranks. If such an option in not considered advantageous by the sportsmen and game management agencies within the state, then the huntable wildlife resources of that state are not being managed to maximize opportunity for MOST citizens. The sportsmen’s cause and the future of hunting in that state are therefore at risk. Recruitment to hunting ranks should be the goal of ALL game managers and sportsmen. As long as the hunting tool falls within logical parameters of safe, capable and humane harvest capabilities, such recruitment should not be based upon, “do it my way or you can’t do it at all.” How can any organization which represents such a small percentile of the total number of archery tag purchasers in a state be so presumptuous to speak for all bowhunters and deny others? Does not their small total membership compared to the large number of archery hunters suggest perhaps they do not represent the views of the majority?
FACT: It is a fact confirmed by agency statistical data in crossbow hunting states that there are vastly more hunters (or potential hunters) who choose or would choose to hunt with a crossbow than those who oppose them.
FACT: Crossbow hunting is documented as safe, responsible and popular where permitted, and has no ill effect on wildlife resources or any other group of sportsmen – other than self-perceived. Ohio ranks the crossbow as a major recruitment tool for women, youth and professionals. The crossbow hunting opportunity does not create division amongst sportsmen – quite the opposite, it gives the firearms hunter a hands-on perspective of the challenges of archery hunting. The REAL concerns surrounding the crossbow hunting opportunity is the concept that there’s no room for recruitment to hunting ranks unless the tool used is one based upon the emotional, purism standards of a few. Wildlife resources should be managed for the most opportunity for most citizens/sportsmen, not for a select few. Facts, not emotion, document the crossbow hunting opportunity as positive for sportsmen and game management programs everywhere it is available for use.

MYTH: Cossbows in the archery season has to still be debated.
FACT: It has been debated to death and the entire province voted on it and a decision was made.

I think the point if this thread was additional primitive seasons. As I said before if it gives more people a chance to get out hunting I am all for it. In the zones I hunt in there are nearly three months to hunt with a crossbow so I don't believe that there is a lack of opportunity right now.

heretohunt
04-29-2014, 08:03 PM
I am all for split seasons as I will hunt with as many weapons as I can.. There are NO exclusions or separate advantages !!!! Every hunter in the province has the right to hunt during whatever season they CHOOSE to participate in.. Rather than cry and moan about archery seasons, black powder, crossbow etc etc !!!!
Why don't those doing the complaining just hunt with your CHOICE of weapon during the available seasons , and stop complaining about everyone else's apparent advantages. The rules and seasons are not exclusionary!!! Participate as you choose and stop moaning!! If you don't want to bow hunt that is YOUR conscious choice!!! The rules aren't excluding anyone from picking up a weapon during that available season!! Hunt when you want and if you CHOOSE not to that is to YOUR detriment or advantage..
Those that cry exclusion all of the time , are just missing out opportunities that have been created for YOU!! There are no special seasons that have been created for EVERYONE BUT YOU!!

^^^ the message is good, I agree. ^^^

dmcbride
04-29-2014, 08:44 PM
MYTH: Cossbows in the archery season has to still be debated.
FACT: It has been debated to death and the entire province voted on it and a decision was made.

I think the point if this thread was additional primitive seasons. As I said before if it gives more people a chance to get out hunting I am all for it. In the zones I hunt in there are nearly three months to hunt with a crossbow so I don't believe that there is a lack of opportunity right now.

Fair enough, I agree with getting more people a chance to get out hunting. This thread is about an additional crossbow season and if there is one it belongs in the archery season for those very reasons. How many guys who are over let's say 55 can say that they hunt with a bow(I know theres lots on this forum:))or how many youths can't hunt the bow season because they can't draw the needed weight? I hunt with a bow and I often wonder what it will be like when Im 60 if I'll still be able to enjoy the early season with my bow. I probely shouldn't worry about it with all the advancements the bow has had in the last ten years, another 25 it should pull its self.:thinking-006:

bobalong
04-29-2014, 10:07 PM
The biggest difference between a crossbow and a compound or long bow is the fact that they can be "loaded" long before game ever appears, and put on a rest to remove fatigue and increase accuracy. One can not argue that these two facts make the crossbow easier to shoot. Accuracy is still mostly dependent on the shooter, but common sense dictates that any weapon is more accurate when you can place it on a rest to shoot it.

When setup with a rest, there is very little movement required to shoot the crossbow, much less than with a compound or long bow. These are not myths, they are facts. Just clarifying a couple of the "facts" as I see them.

I still like the idea of one hunting season the best, choose what ever weapon you like and get at it.

walking buffalo
04-29-2014, 10:30 PM

When I consider the topic without being angry I see a different picture.

I agree that there is a need and benefit to having a separate season for short range, lower success rate equipment such as bows, namely safety for the hunters and higher hunter opportunity.

However, the current system of separate Archery only and general Weapon seasons is Exclusionary. It was meant to be.

Lets review what is allowed in these two types of seasons.

Archery Only Season -
- All types of bows
- crossbows only with a Handicap permit.

General Weapon Season -
- centerfire rifles and shotguns
- blackpowder rifles and shotguns
- pneumatic rifles and shotguns
- all types of bows
- crossbows
- spears
- atlatls
- knives

This shows quite simply that the Archery Only season EXCLUDES all other types of legal equipment regardless of a persons choice or abilities, while the General season is truly INCUSIVE, open to all legal equipment choices.

I suggest that since there is a proposal from the ABA to now have an EXCLUSIVE Archery Draw, that the discussion of this season be expanded to consider including the use of other close range low success rate equipment such as crossbows, spears and atlatls for the same reasons the Archery season was developed in the first place. These other tools belong in a "stick" season , to be INCLUDED with the bow.

Lefty-Canuck
04-29-2014, 10:33 PM
It would be interesting to know the percentage of folks who would use a crossbow during the archery draw season if it meant they had to choose between archery only draw and general draw season.

The way things have been proposed a person has to choose one draw or the other....archery draw or general draw.

Hypothetically, If more people are successful during the archery only season (which would now include xbows) then they would have to allocate more than the current 15% tags to that season to even things out....thus taking away general opportunities would they not?

Would also be interesting to know how many guys would hang up the rifle in favour of the xbow? Because if you are forced to choose archery only or general draw, that's what you would have to do....

Could be a "careful what you wish for" scenario.

LC

dbllung
04-29-2014, 11:04 PM

I agree that there is a need and benefit to having a separate season for short range, lower success rate equipment such as bows, namely safety for the hunters and higher hunter opportunity.

However, the current system of separate Archery only and general Weapon seasons is Exclusionary. It was meant to be.

Archery Only Season -
- All types of bows

General Weapon Season -
- all types of bows
- crossbows
- spears
- atlatls
- knives

This shows quite simply that the Archery Only season EXCLUDES all other types of legal equipment regardless of a persons choice or abilities, while the General season is truly INCUSIVE, open to all legal equipment choices.

I suggest that since there is a proposal from the ABA to now have an EXCLUSIVE Archery Draw, that the discussion of this season be expanded to consider including the use of other close range low success rate equipment such as crossbows, spears and atlatls for the same reasons the Archery season was developed in the first place. These other tools belong in a "stick" season , to be INCLUDED with the bow.
Hate to argue with you WB but the point I was making is that everyone in the province is given the choice whether or not to hunt with any of the allowed methods during any special season. That is purely an individual choice ,and it is tiring hearing all the time , that people constantly think that they are being excluded somehow!!! We are all given the same opportunities !!! If some choose to not use them all, that is no ones fault but there OWN!
If I choose not to hunt with a crossbow or compound that is no ones fault but my own, and I have no right to tell others that they should somehow forfeit their opportunities , for my lack of motivation or desire to participate!
That is all I was saying....

dmcbride
04-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Hate to argue with you WB but the point I was making is that everyone in the province is given the choice whether or not to hunt with any of the allowed methods during any special season. That is purely an individual choice ,and it is tiring hearing all the time , that people constantly think that they are being excluded somehow!!! We are all given the same opportunities !!! If some choose to not use them all, that is no ones fault but there OWN!
If I choose not to hunt with a crossbow or compound that is no ones fault but my own, and I have no right to tell others that they should somehow forfeit their opportunities , for my lack of motivation or desire to participate!

I don't understand how anyone is forfeiting anything. If more people are hunting in the archery season if changes were made the % of tags should be increased to reflect those numbers. Say instead of 15% of the tags being dedicated to the archery season increase it to 20% if that is what the numbers say. This is presuming there will be separate draws for for archery and general season. If more people are hunting in the archery season that means less in the general season so I don't see how anyone is forfeiting anything.

And yes everybody has a choice to hunt with which ever method they choose right now. But someone who can't use a bow is limited to the general season. Not everybody is capable to use a bow, youths, older hunters, people with physical conditions or some people who just plain should not be using a bow. As it sits right now the archery season is for the elite and is only for a certain percentage of hunters. I do not see why some of the methods like spears, atlatls and crossbows should not be in the archery season. The success rate of these methods is less or near the same as a bow and all require getting close to game.

I am all for more opportunity for everyone and allowing more methods in the archery season that have the same success rate and require getting close to game would do just that.

waterfowler1969
04-30-2014, 09:24 AM
That is all I was saying....Well said. I agree with you.

I don't understand how anyone is forfeiting anything. If more people are hunting in the archery season if changes were made the % of tags should be increased to reflect those numbers. Say instead of 15% of the tags being dedicated to the archery season increase it to 20% if that is what the numbers say. This is presuming there will be separate draws for for archery and general season. If more people are hunting in the archery season that means less in the general season so I don't see how anyone is forfeiting anything.

And yes everybody has a choice to hunt with which ever method they choose right now. But someone who can't use a bow is limited to the general season. Not everybody is capable to use a bow, youths, older hunters, people with physical conditions or some people who just plain should not be using a bow. As it sits right now the archery season is for the elite and is only for a certain percentage of hunters. I do not see why some of the methods like spears, atlatls and crossbows should not be in the archery season. The success rate of these methods is less or near the same as a bow and all require getting close to game.

I am all for more opportunity for everyone and allowing more methods in the archery season that have the same success rate and require getting close to game would do just that.The percentage you speak of are people who choose NOT to use the defined archery gear. Not my or your problem it is theirs. It is not like these rules were made up yesterday. As for after the general season another season I am against this. The animals have been chased very hard for a month with rifles and this is normally an important time for animals as they are finishing up the rut and need to keep all remaining fat reserves to servive a bad winter. This is also when animals head to there wintering grounds and herd up. They should be left alone as more pressure could kill off animals that normally would not die.

huntinstuff
04-30-2014, 09:33 AM
I bow hunt and rifle hunt. Shortly, I will spear hunt too

I dont feel I need a special season for bows. Ive never seen the need.

I use a slingshot and pellet gun for grouse. Used to use a .410. But, I decided it wasnt challenging enough, for ME. I didnt judge or try to influence anyone else to do it " my way".

Thats my vote. Others may differ.

Sledhead71
04-30-2014, 09:52 AM
I bow hunt and rifle hunt. Shortly, I will spear hunt too

I dont feel I need a special season for bows. Ive never seen the need.

I use a slingshot and pellet gun for grouse. Used to use a .410. But, I decided it wasnt challenging enough, for ME. I didnt judge or try to influence anyone else to do it " my way".

Thats my vote. Others may differ.

We have to look at the capability of each weapon choice to determine the appropriate season... Blending an up close and personal style with a repeatable long range weapon is just asking for trouble IMO...

huntinstuff
04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
We have to look at the capability of each weapon choice to determine the appropriate season... Blending an up close and personal style with a repeatable long range weapon is just asking for trouble IMO...

How? I dont understand.

Sledhead71
04-30-2014, 11:16 AM
How? I dont understand.

Archery season is a pleasure knowing there is no boom stick about to go off when your sitting on your prey waiting for opportunity...

I follow through with the stick and string into general season and about half my days I usually end up backing out as I don't feel safe..

BIG difference in capabilities and YES I do agree separate seasons are needed... We all have the choice to refine our skills and enjoy the early season hunts..

dmcbride
04-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Archery season is a pleasure knowing there is no boom stick about to go off when your sitting on your prey waiting for opportunity...

I follow through with the stick and string into general season and about half my days I usually end up backing out as I don't feel safe..

BIG difference in capabilities and YES I do agree separate seasons are needed... We all have the choice to refine our skills and enjoy the early season hunts..

I agree with not having to worry about getting shot while trying to get close to a animal. Don't understand why some methods are in the general season.

huntinstuff
04-30-2014, 02:56 PM

It seems its a matter of equal opportunity tho. If a rifle hunter shoots the deer you are waiting for, thats fair game. The deer has no owner until it gets tagged.

I do understand the desire to hunt in a special season, I just dont support it.

As far as your comment regarding "refining" your skills, it does come across a bit eliteist. Im sure its not what you meant tho. To some, shooting at 1000 yds is "refining" their shooting skills.

Not sure its more refined to hunt with a bow. Harder, yes. Success rate is lower, but we accept that as bow hunters.

I just have trouble getting my head wrapped around bow hunters being special. And I am one! Lol

I dont think its any more or less safe in the bush during any season.

walking buffalo
04-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Then lets discuss this instead of arguing. :)

I understand the perspective you are offering and it is valid. The perspective that I offered is just as valid. The Archery Only season is intentionally set up to be exclusive of all other weapon choices with the exception made for those who can qualify for a handicapped permit to use a crossbow.

What about those who do not qualify for a handicap permit yet cannot use a bow effectively for various reasons? These people cannot participate in the archery season because of the law, not by their choice.

Please answer this, Why should spears and Atlatls be confined to the General weapon season?

It seems its a matter of equal opportunity tho. If a rifle hunter shoots the deer you are waiting for, thats fair game. The deer has no owner until it gets tagged.

As far as your comment regarding "refining" your skills, it does come across a bit eliteist. Im sure its not what you meant tho. To some, shooting at 1000 yds is "refining" their shooting skills.

Not sure its more refined to hunt with a bow. Harder, yes. Success rate is lower, but we accept that as bow hunters.

I just have trouble getting my head wrapped around bow hunters being special. And I am one! Lol

I tend to agree with you in regards to hunting in the "bush". The limited range of visibility gives a measure of protection.

Consider bowhunting for Pronghorns or Mulies in agricultural fields. I can guarantee that many people will not feel comfortable or be able to have confidence in their safety using common bowhunting tactics during a general weapon season.

This is why as a compromise I suggest a "stick" season and general weapon season.

Sledhead71
04-30-2014, 04:09 PM

Refining ones skills was meant to be the up close and personal approach as I mentioned earlier, not elitism but more challenging really.

String hunters are not any better than others who share our passion, just a different weapon choice and more accepting of the challenge.

If we look all around North America, it is recognized just about everywhere that lesser weapons choices have longer opportunities / seasons.. String hunters are not special, there is no line up or waiting time to purchase your archery permit in Alberta.. This opportunity has been granted to ALL in our community and around 15% utilize this opportunity... What is special thou is we PAY more than the other 85% who need not purchase this licence :)

huntinstuff
04-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Refining ones skills was meant to be the up close and personal approach as I mentioned earlier, not elitism but more challenging really.

String hunters are not any better than others who share our passion, just a different weapon choice and more accepting of the challenge.

If we look all around North America, it is recognized just about everywhere that lesser weapons choices have longer opportunities / seasons.. String hunters are not special, there is no line up or waiting time to purchase your archery permit in Alberta.. This opportunity has been granted to ALL in our community and around 15% utilize this opportunity... What is special thou is we PAY more than the other 85% who need not purchase this licence :)

Cant do anything but agree with that. Makes sense.

Bow license? Cash grab.

dbllung
04-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Hey WB
I prefer to discuss rather than argue as well (bad choice of words )

First off

I have no issue with spears or atlatl's in archery season specifically .. I am not sure they should be allowed in either season. And only my opinion based on how it may be viewed by our anti hunting friends . But that is another thread!

Secondly let look at some other easily recognized scenarios in other aspects of life as we know it...I regularly hear that bow hunting is "elitist" when it comes to those who are aged or young, or have a sore back etc etc etc
Think about this for a second ... When a hockey team loses a star forward to a torn hamstring during the finals, do they cancel the game so no one can play?
When a baseball teams pitcher gets too old to throw hard do they cancel everyone's season?
The reality of life is that not all are capable of doing the same things! Does that mean that we should change the rules to accommodate them or cancel the game altogether !!!
Life dictates whether or not we can participate in all aspects.. If a few cannot pull a bow or throw a spear should we change the rules on their behalf???
Realistically NO!! Everyone has their time to choose a weapon! I hunt with shotgun , bow, rifle, or whatever is allowed by law in the legal season.
If I get too old or sore to pull a bow or throw a spear. I will take my opportunity in rifle season.. I don't think I should ask the public to give up opportunities on my behalf! There are those out there that think separate seasons are a bad thing !!!! I am not one of those people. Nor will I ever be!! Hunt when you can hunt ! If you choose to not participate in special seasons that is not everyone else's problem !! It is your own choice!

ZipperHead
05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
I believe that a lot of trophy hunters struggle to pick up a bow because of the high likelihood that they won't come away with the buck they're looking for. And there's a very high population of trophy hunters in Alberta. It creates absolute havoc in November when guys get competitive, territorial, and unsafe especially when you're hunting on crown land or other lands that a lot of people get permission on. Don't believe this statement? I dare you to come up and try to hunt the North Central part of the province. This is reality. Like it was stated, Crossbows are a primitive weapon given their range. Even if you have a cocking mechanism and a scope, if that deer is more than 70 yards out, it doesn't matter if you have open sights or a 3X9x50. You still have to be alot more skilled with a Crossbow, than a rifle. And to me, the word Crossbow contains the word BOW, which is in the family. I think that if you included Crossbows in with bow season, you'll see a lot more guys drawn to hunting from September on, not just from November on. It will spread out the hunting pressure over a few months instead of causing November to get bombarded.

I don't see the harm in including crossbows in the bow season. Can anyone explain draw backs of this?

ZipperHead
05-01-2014, 12:11 PM
It's about getting back to the basics of hunting-being in the outdoors and enjoying the hunt. Not having to fight with other hunters. And unfortunately, over the past 10 years, for many of us who don't bow hunt, rifle season in November has turned into a battle with other hunters, not the wild life. Hunting isn't what it used to be and Alberta needs to adapt to that. I'm more worried now about guys driving through fields, shooting off roads, etc. than I've ever been in November. If I was a kid learning how to hunt in NC Alberta today, I'd quit. It's not the same experience and it completely defeats the point of hunting.

Lefty-Canuck
05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I think just from a safety standpoint it is good to have the archery season and general season split....try decoying antelope with your bow during a valid rifle season....all bad.

Like has been mentioned....as it stands everyone has the opportunity to use what ever tool they need to use, and ample time for use and planning.

If crossbows were to be allowed in the bow season then an allocation of harvest would have to be removed from the general season to account for the extra harvest in the archery only season....just to maintain a balance.

LC

tonnage
05-01-2014, 12:46 PM
If crossbows were to be allowed in the bow season then an allocation of harvest would have to be removed from the general season to account for the extra harvest in the archery only season....just to maintain a balance.

LC

And I think the majority of hunters would probably be okay with that.

Lefty-Canuck
05-01-2014, 01:07 PM
And I think the majority of hunters would probably be okay with that.

Possibly....times are changing when it comes to hunting and hunting draws. With split draws (archery only)/general) guys are going to make a hard choice what direction they want to go and what tool they want to use.

For the die hard rifle or die hard archery guys it's an easy choice....it effects the hybrid hunter the most.

LC

happy honker
05-02-2014, 09:38 AM
This thread gives me an idea.
I'd like to use a catipult for Snow geese.
Lob big rocks right into the middle of the fields with thousands of Snows on them.
A primitive weapon, and it wouldnt involve limiting the gun season.
I'm going to take the cap off the box of the truck and start working on this right away.
Also, I'll make sure I can get more than 1 rock in the bucket of the catipult....to get around the "single projectile" rule.

walking buffalo
05-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Possibly....times are changing when it comes to hunting and hunting draws. With split draws (archery only)/general) guys are going to make a hard choice what direction they want to go and what tool they want to use.

For the die hard rifle or die hard archery guys it's an easy choice.... it effects the hybrid hunter the most.
LC

Which is the vast majority of Archery hunters. I believe ABA said that 95% of their membership are hybrid hunters.

This is why several of the current ABA Proposals are out of touch with the general hunting community, they want to create further exclusions in the name of increasing opportunity for a few hunters while proposing to implement further restrictions on everyone else.

1) the ABA's recently killed Spear/Atlatl ban proposal, which has now morphed into a F&W legal weapon definition which the ABA executive are still lobbying to ban spears and atlatls.

2) the ABA's proposal for an Exclusive archery draw code, intended to reduce the number of people applying for the Archery draw.

3) the ABA's proposal to have some 3-point general weapon/general Archery elk seasons changed to a 6 point general weapon elk season while keeping the Archery season at a 3 point requirement.

The Sask Whitetail NR draw information thread holds an interesting stat.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=42db6113-6430-47d3-b44c-41845e0c29d4&MediaID=01623078-c1b5-473e-a627-780e940ded15&Filename=Canadian+Resident+White-tailed+Deer.pdf&l=English

" Of the total days hunted, rifle was used 86 per
phones. cent of the time, shotgun was used 1.4 per cent of the time,
muzzleloader was used eight per cent of the time, crossbow was used 0.3 per cent of the time and archery was used 4.3 per cent of the time. "

While crossbows have been legal to use in the "Archery" season for many years, 93% of Archery hunting was with a bow.

dmcbride
05-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Which is the vast majority of Archery hunters. I believe ABA said that 95% of their membership are hybrid hunters.

This is why several of the current ABA Proposals are out of touch with the general hunting community, they want to create further exclusions in the name of increasing opportunity for a few hunters while proposing to implement further restrictions on everyone else.

1) the ABA's recently killed Spear/Atlatl ban proposal, which has now morphed into a F&W legal weapon definition which the ABA executive are still lobbying to ban spears and atlatls.

2) the ABA's proposal for an Exclusive archery draw code, intended to reduce the number of people applying for the Archery draw.

3) the ABA's proposal to have some 3-point general weapon/general Archery elk seasons changed to a 6 point general weapon elk season while keeping the Archery season at a 3 point requirement.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=42db6113-6430-47d3-b44c-41845e0c29d4&MediaID=01623078-c1b5-473e-a627-780e940ded15&Filename=Canadian+Resident+White-tailed+Deer.pdf&l=English

muzzleloader was used eight per cent of the time, crossbow was used 0.3 per cent of the time and archery was used 4.3 per cent of the time. "

While crossbows have been legal to use in the "Archery" season for many years, 93% of Archery hunting was with a bow.

So the stats are saying there isn't a massive slaughter with crossbows being allowed in the archery season. How can that be? By the sounds of things here in Alberta we would have to adjust harvest numbers and it would take opportunity away from archers. Hmmm. maybe the crossbow isn't so bad after all.:)

Sledhead71
05-02-2014, 04:50 PM
If the horizontal strings were allowed in the archery season, you would see an increase in participants for only a couple seasons... Those who choose the horizontal equipment would soon realize this weapon is not a slam dunk like many think...

Couple seasons down the road and there will be the same amount of sportsmen and women committed to this particular season no matter vertical or horizontal weapon.

Interesting :thinking-006:

CLB
05-02-2014, 08:03 PM

Crossbows in sask are not allowed in the archery only season. The season starts at the beginning of October when muzzleloader season starts. They are also not allowed when using archery over the counter tags for muleys. Archery, muzzleloader and crossbow seasons overlap for the month of October. Archery only in September ( no crossbows) There are a couple small exceptions in the primitive weapons zones around the 2 major cities.

walking buffalo
05-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Crossbows in sask are not allowed in the archery only season. The season starts at the beginning of October when muzzleloader season starts. They are also not allowed when using archery over the counter tags for muleys. Archery, muzzleloader and crossbow seasons overlap for the month of October. Archery only in September ( no crossbows) There are a couple small exceptions in the primitive weapons zones around the 2 major cities.

Thanks for clarifying my mistake regarding "Archery" seasons.

This stat a comparison for NR Canadian WT days hunted with various weapons . It still shows that there is not a large number of Crossbow hunters compared to other weapon choices. Obviously legal season availability plays part in that stat.

I see that there are quite the mix of weapons allowed for various seasons and management zones; Archery Only, Archery and Crossbows, Crossbows and Muzzleloaders, Archery Crossbows and Muzzleloaders....

Can you hunt with Archery gear in all of these various seasons, or crossbows in the Muzzleloader season.... ?

For Residents, what are the various weapon seasons for Draw licences?

CLB
05-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks for clarifying my mistake regarding "Archery" seasons.

This stat a comparison for NR Canadian WT days hunted with various weapons . It still shows that there is not a large number of Crossbow hunters compared to other weapon choices. Obviously legal season availability plays part in that stat.

I see that there are quite the mix of weapons allowed for various seasons and management zones; Archery Only, Archery and Crossbows, Crossbows and Muzzleloaders, Archery Crossbows and Muzzleloaders....

Can you hunt with Archery gear in all of these various seasons, or crossbows in the Muzzleloader season.... ?

For Residents, what are the various weapon seasons for Draw licences?

A lot of the draw seasons are all weapons at once. One exception is for mule deer. On the mule deer draw there is an archery season from September 1 to October 30. Muzzleloader and crossbow from October 1 to October 30 and then rifle from November 1 to 14. A bow crossbow or muzzleloader can be used during the rifle season but rifle dress codes must be followed.

Crossbows are not allowed to be used with over the counter archery tags ( mule deer) over the counter archery mule deer tags are the same season as the draw archery season but can't be used in the rile season.

For regular seasons there is an early archery season for elk and moose that does not allow crossbows. The regular whitetail season is a lot like the mule deer season. Archery sept 1 to October 30, muzzleloader and crossbow October 1 to October 30 and rifle November 15 to dec 7. ( whitetails seasons are being shortened this year but as of yet we don't know the new dates)

Like I said there are some exceptions for weapons choices and season dates in the primitive zones around regina and saskatoon and I think a small one around P.A. And a few far north zones.

albertaatlatl
05-05-2014, 08:33 PM

Archery Only Season -
- All types of bows

General Weapon Season -
- all types of bows
- crossbows
- spears
- atlatls
- knives

Well said!