PDA

View Full Version : Where do you report a company dumping oil

troutbug
04-18-2014, 03:53 PM
I was talking to a friend today and he was telling me about the shop he just quit from. Apparently they are dumping alot of their used oil behind their shop in Redwater and have no used oil disposal or storage area. Who would he call to report this?

MrDave
04-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Redwater town. Most matters inside of town limits gives them the problem.

sparky660
04-18-2014, 03:58 PM
this might be a start http://esrd.alberta.ca/ or the bylaw officer in redwater.

troutbug
04-18-2014, 04:05 PM
yup already sent him bylaws email, I figured there would be someone higher up to contact that deal with things like this

Ken07AOVette
04-18-2014, 04:08 PM
I think I would be going past bylaw.

troutbug
04-18-2014, 04:09 PM
I think I would be going past bylaw.

yes that is what im looking for, who would a guy contact

Ken07AOVette
04-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Sparky got it, smart fella

http://environment.alberta.ca/contact.html

troutbug
04-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Sparky got it, smart fella

http://environment.alberta.ca/contact.html

thanks guys, fired off the email to my friend

MrDave
04-18-2014, 04:29 PM
thanks guys, fired off the email to my friend

Been there. They referred me to the town Bylaw Officer. Speaking from experience. Ran into this before.

chewydog
04-18-2014, 05:15 PM
1 800 222 6514. call this number please, its the Alberta Regulator hotline.

Ken07AOVette
04-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Quick end the thread! This may be the single one this year that is nothing but helpful, no white sunglass wearing morons spoiling it!

Big Daddy Badger
04-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Quick end the thread! This may be the single one this year that is nothing but helpful, no white sunglass wearing morons spoiling it!

:sHa_shakeshout:

Course it might be worth mentioning that it would be nice if more people had that attack of conscience BEFORE they quit or got canned.

Just sayin...:)

Sorry Ken... I just had to take a kick at it since you set it up so nicely.:)

troutbug
04-18-2014, 07:00 PM

Course it might be worth mentioning that it would be nice if more people had that attack of conscience BEFORE they quit or got canned.

He worked there for a week and quit because of the stupidity of alot of people that worked there. So its pretty good he even cares.

And I fired off an email to the mayor of Redwater and received a reply saying it will be investigated

hal53
04-18-2014, 07:01 PM

...mmmm, wonder if he worked there for a week and saw them do this once and quit????

troutbug
04-18-2014, 07:07 PM
...mmmm, wonder if he worked there for a week and saw them do this once and quit????

I thanked the mayor for replying and he sent another email saying "any acts against the environment are very serious, thanks for the report"

Big Daddy Badger
04-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Could be.

Troutbug has now indicated that he was not there long.

My point was not directed at this incident or that individual specifically anyway.

Just in general... that regulatory folks get a lot of sour grapes complaints and that does impact upon how they are perceived.

troutbug
04-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Could be.

My point was not directed at this incident or that individual specifically anyway.

Just in general... that regulatory folks get a lot of sour grapes complaints and that does impact upon how they are perceived.

I also worked at the same company but at a camp location. I am surprised they are still in business but by the sounds of it they wont be up and running for much longer

hal53
04-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Could be.

nope, you are right, your post was not directed to the situation at all

Big Daddy Badger
04-18-2014, 07:34 PM
nope, you are right, your post was not directed to the situation at all

Whatever Hal... if you prefer to view it that way...fill your boots.
I used neutral terms on purpose and you are free to still try to make hay with that if you wish.

backpacker
04-18-2014, 07:56 PM
I would give a call to any media that might be interested in catching them in the act. Video works well in a court room.

Big Daddy Badger
04-18-2014, 07:59 PM
I would give a call to any media that might be interested in catching them in the act. Video works well in a court room.

Might force a the local authority to put a bit more effort into it as well.

Gabriel S.
04-18-2014, 08:24 PM
What's the name of the company?

troutbug
04-18-2014, 08:27 PM
What's the name of the company?

Id rather not as im the one that called them in

Tactical Lever
04-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Pretty pricey stuff doing a soil remediation. I could not imagine the owner of the property being too excited about that. That's the sort of thing that runs into the hundreds of thousands. Especially if they have to "move" the shop, or adjacent properties to get it all.

Gabriel S.
04-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Id rather not as im the one that called them in

You did a great thing; I would have done the same thing.

troutbug
04-18-2014, 08:39 PM
You did a great thing; I would have done the same thing.

Well after working for them before and hearing from others that they have not changed their ways and have gotten worse, they deserve whats coming

Gabriel S.
04-18-2014, 08:40 PM
They are making more money at out environments expense. That is not the way ... I don't care who they are ...

CanuckShooter
04-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Well after working for them before and hearing from others that they have not changed their ways and have gotten worse, they deserve whats coming

They were doing this when you worked for them and you didn't snitch on them then???? Or you did and they weaseled out of any fines and continue with the status quo??

troutbug
04-18-2014, 09:38 PM
They were doing this when you worked for them and you didn't snitch on them then???? Or you did and they weaseled out of any fines and continue with the status quo??

No I had nothing to do with dumping or new of it as I was on a different site out of town the whole time. Im not afraid to snitch if your doing something wrong, nice try though

Kanonfodder
04-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Asked an answered